Zach Bogosian to have wrist surgery Friday, out for minimum 3 months

Old
08-31-2012, 05:49 PM
Jet
Confirmed Pav Basher

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
I'm thinking this has something to do with Postma getting a 1-way contract. Did they know about this when they signed Postma?

If it's been aggravating him for years I would expect him to come back even stronger.
This is the line I like. He was very good for us last year but left a lot of people thinking his offensive game could be so much better. I'm sure that has been holding him back.

If he can get that wrist 100% we may see a Norris winning defenseman in Winnipeg.

08-31-2012, 06:36 PM
ps241
2.6% chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandChelems View Post
Honest question though: is there any indication that an extended bargaining process, or a lockout, works in favour of the long term viability of the Jets i.e. as opposed to hammering out something here and now?

I ask because I see this forming as a consensus, and TBH I can't be bothered to look into this process with too much effort because each time I consider how millionaires and billionaires are fighting over the middle class's money, the inner ice-hockey-road-hockey-cheering-on-the-Jets child inside me dies a little bit more.
No gaurentee's GrandChelems but on balance time pressure favors the side with the most resolve and resources. I am guessing that is still the owners this time but we shall see.

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 09:54 PM
Bob E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
No gaurentee's GrandChelems but on balance time pressure favors the side with the most resolve and resources. I am guessing that is still the owners this time but we shall see.
I agree ps241. I'm assuming many teams are losing close to the money they are reporting, where a work stopage actually can save them money. Why else is the league indicating moving away from a reduction in year 1 is basically non-negotiable (in their eyes)? They want money back, and back immediately.

The players are in a tough spot and fighting to keep their current earning power, at least in overall dollar terms. But that is exactly what the owners want to shave. As Fehr has said, it becomes a dangerous cycle of players simply giving back $ each CBA negotiation, if they do that again.

Question remains whether all 30 teams have that resolve to stay united. I think they do, as of now, and as they've shown in 2004/05 they will sit out a year.

But I agree with the players that revenue sharing is the key in having a league with as many healthy franchises as possible. Even though the league doesn't want to talk about that now, and feel its not relevant to economics discussion they're at right now, it's really the only thing that can keep many teams finanically healthy.

Bob E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 10:01 PM
Bob E

Back to Bogo, i can't wait to see him back in action. Period.

Terrific young player, and quality kid. Hope he's a Jet for many, many years.

Bob E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 10:55 AM
buggs

vCash: 137
Any word on Bogo's recovery? We're past the two month point and nearing three months, so hopefully he's doing well.

buggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 11:06 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs View Post
Any word on Bogo's recovery? We're past the two month point and nearing three months, so hopefully he's doing well.
I was wondering when we would hear reports as well buggs.

Huffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:27 PM
Le Golie

Well he gets paid his full salary until he's fully healed, so if you ask him I think you'd hear that he's still got a little ways to go...

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:42 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

No news is better than hearing about complications.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 01:19 PM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie View Post
Well he gets paid his full salary until he's fully healed, so if you ask him I think you'd hear that he's still got a little ways to go...
This. I don't think they're in any hurry to push him off of IR. They may want to pay their players less, but TNSE doesn't want to form that sort of bad relationship with those they hope to build their core around.

DespoticNewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 02:25 PM
buggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
This. I don't think they're in any hurry to push him off of IR. They may want to pay their players less, but TNSE doesn't want to form that sort of bad relationship with those they hope to build their core around.
Good point, especially since they'll be negotiating with him shortly. I assume they probably already wanted to have some talks but can't due to the lockout.

So, random speculation: do you think Bogo would have skipped surgery had a CBA been signed or looked like it would be signed prior to the September 15th deadline? I wonder if TNSE and Bogosian sat down in August and said look, this season isn't going to start on time, we know your wrist is aggravated so why not take advantage of the stoppage, get the surgery, get healthy and as a bonus you'll be getting paid while on IR as well.

That would be a win-win for both sides and a huge partnership building move to show that the organization cares about the player. I just thought, like others mentioned previously in the thread, that the timing, end of August, was really an odd time to go off for surgery. Of course it really could have been as simple as aggravating the injury at an inopportune time but I wonder.

So yeah, I'm bored with the lockout.

Old
11-13-2012, 02:46 PM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Quote:
Good point, especially since they'll be negotiating with him shortly. I assume they probably already wanted to have some talks but can't due to the lockout.

So, random speculation: do you think Bogo would have skipped surgery had a CBA been signed or looked like it would be signed prior to the September 15th deadline? I wonder if TNSE and Bogosian sat down in August and said look, this season isn't going to start on time, we know your wrist is aggravated so why not take advantage of the stoppage, get the surgery, get healthy and as a bonus you'll be getting paid while on IR as well.

That would be a win-win for both sides and a huge partnership building move to show that the organization cares about the player. I just thought, like others mentioned previously in the thread, that the timing, end of August, was really an odd time to go off for surgery. Of course it really could have been as simple as aggravating the injury at an inopportune time but I wonder.

So yeah, I'm bored with the lockout.
Skip to 1:07 of the video.

DespoticNewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 12:34 PM
Just Ducky

Quote:
Should hear something "official" soon but heard all is well.

Just Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 01:32 PM
wpglax

His name was mentioned on the radio today as being a part of the charity game on Saturday .. not sure to what extent though

wpglax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 02:36 PM
Mathil8
▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌

vCash: 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpglax View Post
His name was mentioned on the radio today as being a part of the charity game on Saturday .. not sure to what extent though
I heard he was reffing.

Mathil8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 05:18 PM
buggs

Bumping this up again because I remain curious about his progression from surgery. Especially in light of the rumours of the season starting.

I debated most of last year on whose number to get. It finally came down to Bogosian and Pavelec. I chose Pavelec. After his DUI I regretted that, of course if I'd gotten Bogo on the jersey at the time (good D man wearing Bobby Orr's number, how could you go wrong?) I'd have had to have another 4 added on. Ah well, if I get a white jersey...

Old
12-05-2012, 06:01 PM
scelaton

Quote:
Bumping this up again because I remain curious about his progression from surgery. Especially in light of the rumours of the season starting.

I debated most of last year on whose number to get. It finally came down to Bogosian and Pavelec. I chose Pavelec. After his DUI I regretted that, of course if I'd gotten Bogo on the jersey at the time (good D man wearing Bobby Orr's number, how could you go wrong?) I'd have had to have another 4 added on. Ah well, if I get a white jersey...
I have no inside info on Bogo, but have some familiarity with this type of injury and by 4 months they are mostly recovered.
I say mostly, because Bogo is a beast and likely putting exceptionally large forces on his wrist ligaments when playing full-out. I'm sure he'll be playing in Jan.
It's almost as if they are planning the CBA settlement around his injury!

scelaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 06:17 PM
Tdoe42

Quote:
Originally Posted by scelaton View Post
I have no inside info on Bogo, but have some familiarity with this type of injury and by 4 months they are mostly recovered.
I say mostly, because Bogo is a beast and likely putting exceptionally large forces on his wrist ligaments when playing full-out. I'm sure he'll be playing in Jan.
It's almost as if they are planning the CBA settlement around his injury!
I like how he "Re injured it Training" thats a lie and a damn smart one!! He got a injury fixed that has plagued him since junior and got paid for it!

Tdoe42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 06:18 PM
sully1410

I just saw this and immediately thought...not another one!

sully1410 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 07:40 PM
smokes lets go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdoe42 View Post
I like how he "Re injured it Training" thats a lie and a damn smart one!! He got a injury fixed that has plagued him since junior and got paid for it!
hehe, i would not be surprised if that is true, i don't get it then why would Gudbranson admit he blew his shoulder wakeboarding? What did they do differently, just because since Bogosian was working out it's hockey related?

smokes lets go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 07:50 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Glass Half Full

vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripper View Post
hehe, i would not be surprised if that is true, i don't get it then why would Gudbranson admit he blew his shoulder wakeboarding? What did they do differently, just because since Bogosian was working out it's hockey related?
Meh. I wouldn't be surprised if TNSE gave Bogo a push to get it fixed, knowing that there could be an extended lockout. Complete conjecture, but if my employer gave me a nudge in that direction so I can be 100% healed and ready to go, PLUS get paid during the lockout, that would endear me greatly to them.

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 07:50 PM
Tdoe42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripper View Post
Ive heard this has bugged him since junior.

If you ask me I doubt he even hurt it probably just decided to do the surgery when the lockout was a sure thing.

Tdoe42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 08:20 PM
ps241
2.6% chance

Honestly I doubt It was too contrived since they announced it in August but no matter what I am glad he took care of this issue since it has plagued him off and on all the way back to his junior days.

A healthy Bogo is a good thing

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 08:50 PM
Duir
Registered Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Meh. I wouldn't be surprised if TNSE gave Bogo a push to get it fixed, knowing that there could be an extended lockout. Complete conjecture, but if my employer gave me a nudge in that direction so I can be 100% healed and ready to go, PLUS get paid during the lockout, that would endear me greatly to them.
I have to agree with you here. I said that back at the end of August as it the timing makes sense. Like you said, it is speculative but there were/are too many right reasons to time it at that point both on a personal level (pay) and professional level (no season so wouldn't miss games), to name a couple.

Duir is offline   Reply With Quote