HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Who's more popular in Pittsburgh? Crosby or Malkin?

View Poll Results: Who's more popular in the Pittsburgh-area?
Crosby 87 58.00%
Malkin 15 10.00%
Even 48 32.00%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-31-2012, 05:43 PM
Crozbar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
For hockey fans - even. Crosby is the leader while Geno's dedication steals our heart.

For regular Pittsburgh fans - Crosby. And it ain't even close.
I'm guessing this is about the truth. Malkin is quite popular on the internet because he was kind of a dark horse "lesser known" quantity. People could feel more like he "belongs" to them sort of thing. (At least before last season anyway). Plus he does and says pretty lovable stuffs, ya know.

But in the general fan base it's got to be clearly Crosby and by a fair bit. He's the face of the team, and he's good at it.

Crozbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 08:40 PM
BeauKnows19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
For hockey fans - even. Crosby is the leader while Geno's dedication steals our heart.

For regular Pittsburgh fans - Crosby. And it ain't even close.
That's pretty much what I came on here to say haha

BeauKnows19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 09:05 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Mod Powers

Geno's been my favorite since the start but I'm not representative of most fans. I'd say Cole's explanation is pretty close to reality. Casual fans identify with Crosby by far. Real hockey fans you probably get a pretty even split.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 09:08 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Mod Powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaris View Post
I'd say Vitale is the champion of the hearts of Pittsburgh-ians.
You smooth talker you. The Virtuous and Victorious One needs no flattery to fuel his fire on the ice. He is happy to cede the illusion of popularity to Sid and Geno while he works his magic in the trenches. Before this lockout nonsense he was well on his way towards his first 50 point season. Secret workout sessions with Gary Roberts all but ensured it.

Old
08-31-2012, 09:08 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Crosby, not even close.

Who's the #1 promoted player in the NHL?

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 09:43 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Mod Powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Team View Post
Who's the #1 promoted player in the NHL?

Is it David Legwand? No wait... I know the answer... it's Grant Clitsome, right?!

Old
08-31-2012, 11:22 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
it's Grant Clitsome, right?!
Should be. I had him and Matt Cooke on my fantasy team. Named the team "The Dirty Clitsomes."

Randy Butternubs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 12:56 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Embrace The Hate!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunitz View Post
Should be. I had him and Matt Cooke on my fantasy team. Named the team "The Dirty Clitsomes."
Epic.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 01:00 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Embrace The Hate!!!

vCash: 50
Where's the "Who cares about popularity...this ain't high school" option??

Seriously, both guys are great and have so many tremendous positives.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 07:26 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Don't live in Pittsburgh but if I did they would both be equal, love both

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:08 PM
Nicky Santoro

hi guys. i found this thread on google and maybe you guys can help me with my question?

I actually have 2 of them.

This thread here is who is bigger Malkin or Sid?? but my 1st question is.. who was more popular in Pittsburgh.. Sid today, OR Mario in the late 80's, early 90's?

and 2- Pens today are getting massive record breaking tv ratings in Pit.. no team in nba or nhl is even close....but when the pens had Mario, Jagr, Stevens, etc... and winning cups, were they bigger in Pit back then, or today?

Thanks Pittsburgh guys..

Nicky Santoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:38 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Mod Powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky Santoro View Post

and 2- Pens today are getting massive record breaking tv ratings in Pit.. no team in nba or nhl is even close.....
Fire your fact-checker.

Old
02-17-2013, 01:39 PM
mtchbx

They are both very talented but unfortunately one of them is going to get ruined and have Matt Cooke to thank.

mtchbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:49 PM
Nicky Santoro

Quote:
Fire your fact-checker.
The PIT local market is outrageous. spurs lead nba with like a 7 rating. Pens have never gone under double digit for one game this yr.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1345093

But all i want to know is those 2 questions. i'd love someone from PIT to answer me. I was too young to know what tv ratings were back then, but i really would love to know if Pens were getting crazy ratings with Super Mario back then like now...i have no idea if this popularity in PIT for pens is a new thing, or it has always been this big.

Old
02-17-2013, 02:03 PM
JTG

Pittsburgh has always drawn well on TV, even when people weren't going to the games.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 02:56 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Mod Powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky Santoro View Post
The PIT local market is outrageous. spurs lead nba with like a 7 rating. Pens have never gone under double digit for one game this yr.
Are you talking about market-per-market ratings or national broadcasts compared? Because there's no chance in hell our ratings are better than the Heat, Celtics, etc.

Old
02-17-2013, 03:00 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtchbx View Post
They are both very talented but unfortunately one of them is going to get ruined and have Matt Cooke to thank.
not gonna happen

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 03:38 PM
turd

Crosby, hands down. When Malkin plays poorly, he gets so much **** for it. When Sid plays poorly there's always a convenient excuse lined up. Don't get me wrong, I love them both, but for whatever reason, Malkin gets 10x the **** Sid does.

turd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 03:43 PM
Nicky Santoro

Quote:
Are you talking about market-per-market ratings or national broadcasts compared? Because there's no chance in hell our ratings are better than the Heat, Celtics, etc.
your celtics only drew a 3.0 while bruins drew a 7.0 while they were on the same time last week.

why are you busting my chops???? i came here to ask 2 qustions about Pens and you are making a big deal about something that is not even on topic. And yes, i said Pens have the biggest local tv rating of the 2 sports. And

Stop giving me a hard time. i'm here to talk about Pens past/ present.. not about a rating..

Old
02-17-2013, 04:06 PM
PensPlz

Send a message via Skype™ to PensPlz
Malkin is for hipsters.

PensPlz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 05:03 PM
Whale Mingo

There was a time when Pens fans (whether they will admit it or not) were angry with Sid for being injured for so long. They wanted to see him play, they wanted the team to win so it's somewhat understandable.

During that time convincing oneself that Malkin was/is as good as Crosby became the popular thing to do. People don't like to admit they were ever wrong so some will hold onto that "opinion" even now.

Whale Mingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 05:06 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whale Mingo View Post
There was a time when Pens fans (whether they will admit it or not) were angry with Sid for being injured for so long. They wanted to see him play, they wanted the team to win so it's somewhat understandable.

During that time convincing oneself that Malkin was/is as good as Crosby became the popular thing to do. People don't like to admit they were ever wrong so some will hold onto that "opinion" even now.
Malkin is as good as Crosby, he's just not as consistent.

I still believe that if you take both guys, put them at their very best, Malkin's high is still higher than Sid's. Sid's low is just so much less drastic than Geno's low, and I think Sid stays hot for longer and can work himself out of funks.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 05:28 PM
TheSniper26

Quote:
Originally Posted by turd View Post
Crosby, hands down. When Malkin plays poorly, he gets so much **** for it. When Sid plays poorly there's always a convenient excuse lined up. Don't get me wrong, I love them both, but for whatever reason, Malkin gets 10x the **** Sid does.
That's definitely not what I see in the post game thread every other night. Malkin has had excuses made for him left and right so far this season. There is a certain contingent on here that seems to think helping Malkin is pretty much the number one priority at all times. We could go 82-0, but if Malkin's even strength production wasn't at it's peak, there would still be outrage. When he plays poorly, it's automatically blamed on the "third wheel" on his line or even Neal supposedly "not creating enough on his own". And if it's not that it's just pinned on Bylsma(for not giving him enough minutes) or Shero(for not getting him another 40 goal winger to play with I guess).

This idea that Crosby is somehow given a pass in Pittsburgh and Geno is treated like a second class citizen is complete nonsense. They make the exact same amount of money and, of all our wingers, only one is a legitimate high end talent and he plays with Malkin.

TheSniper26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 05:29 PM
Whale Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Malkin is as good as Crosby, he's just not as consistent.

I still believe that if you take both guys, put them at their very best, Malkin's high is still higher than Sid's. Sid's low is just so much less drastic than Geno's low, and I think Sid stays hot for longer and can work himself out of funks.
Again, being older than most here and having seen thousands and thousands of hockey games I can say with a large degree of certainty that Sid possesses a skill set you find once in a generation, if that.

Malkin, while a tremendous talent is no Sidney Crosby. If we are fortunate enough to see Sid string together 3 or 4 healthy seasons I'm sure it will become apparent to everyone, again.

Old
02-17-2013, 05:32 PM
Whale Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSniper26 View Post
That's definitely not what I see in the post game thread every other night. Malkin has had excuses made for him left and right so far this season. There is a certain contingent on here that seems to think helping Malkin is pretty much the number one priority at all times. We could go 82-0, but if Malkin's even strength production wasn't at it's peak, there would still be outrage. When he plays poorly, it's automatically blamed on the "third wheel" on his line or even Neal supposedly "not creating enough on his own". And if it's not that it's just pinned on Bylsma(for not giving him enough minutes) or Shero(for not getting him another 40 goal winger to play with I guess).

This idea that Crosby is somehow given a pass in Pittsburgh and Geno is treated like a second class citizen is complete nonsense. They make the exact same amount of money and, of all our wingers, only one is a legitimate high end talent and he plays with Malkin.
This, is incredibly accurate.

Sid is a +11 this year playing with Dupuis on his line, Malkin a -2 playing with Neal (who is a -6).

Imagine the outcry from the fanbase if Neal were to move up and play with Neal, then imagine the results.