HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Isles Looking for More Consistency This Season

Old
08-31-2012, 08:47 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
I'm not sure it's necessarily as cut and dried as that. While I do believe the Isles needed much more contributions (offensively and in their transition game) from their 3-6 defensemen, I don't necessarily think it requires the kind of top end production you suggest in the bolded. IMO, it's less about not having enough 30+ point guys, and more about having more mobility and puck movement from first pairing to third pairing.
Twas just a general statement that seemed apt after decades of stats in magazines and on the backs of hockey cards.

I wouldn't take the time to research it... unless some publication out there would be willing to fund the time spent on such a study.:-)

Quote:
If Visnovsky becomes an Islander and can return to form, and if one of the rookies (de Haan, Donovan, whoever) can come in and contribute to the transition game, I think the Isles can be a much better transition team this year, something they were awful at last year.
This is a necessity. A key to any movement upwards in the standings.

And I think that either Ness or de Haan could step in now and be an immediate upgrade in this department over Staios, Jurcina and Eaton. Neither may be better in other aspects of the position, but for sure in a transition capacity.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 12:37 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
I'm not sure it's necessarily as cut and dried as that. While I do believe the Isles needed much more contributions (offensively and in their transition game) from their 3-6 defensemen, I don't necessarily think it requires the kind of top end production you suggest in the bolded. IMO, it's less about not having enough 30+ point guys, and more about having more mobility and puck movement from first pairing to third pairing.

Using my Pens as an example last year, they lead the league in scoring in the regular season, and finished well above 100 points. Yet Kris Letang was the only guy who scored more than 30 points. Their other regulars (Martin, Michalek, Orpik, Niskanen, Engelland) recorded 27, 13, 18, 21, and 17 points, respectively. The Isles' top three defensemen produced roughly the same as the Pens' top three scoring defensemen. Where the difference in contribution came, IMO, is from the next three guys on defense, where the Pens' simply got more production, and more importantly, more help in the transition game from theirs.

If Visnovsky becomes an Islander and can return to form, and if one of the rookies (de Haan, Donovan, whoever) can come in and contribute to the transition game, I think the Isles can be a much better transition team this year, something they were awful at last year.
It won't be enough. I agree with Chapin and you which though you seem to disagree aren't really that much when you talk about the Isle's defense needing to be better in transition, but above all else they need to be better in their own end with basic defense. Adding Carkner addresses one part of that but is by no means a cure. Vis addresses transition in a big way, but answers nothing in terms of raw defense. They added no one in the forward pool to help in the defensive zone. I am just not seeing where all the rah-rah enthusiasm springs from in the positive articles.

IMO, I don't see drastic improvement. I see minor improvement. I guess I am happier as I expected no improvement or a worsening, but bottom line is this is no playoff team again unless some of the kids pull major surprises out of their ***** in terms of production. If we don't keep Vis then you might as well start ordering your draft rags now for us. If we keep Vis you can move the timeline up to December, but will still need to make the order.

And if we bring two kids on for the defense this year I foresee everyone on this board adding to their last sentence for most topics.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 02:00 PM
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired

While I don't see overwhelming, drastic improvement, I'm waiting to see what Brent Thompson can do with scheming a better overall team defense with the additions of Carkner and (hopefully) a strong effort from Visnovsky.

IMO, the crux of issues as it stands comes from a weakness in defense and defensive strategy. Unfortunately the boatload of D prospects will be the last position for the pipeline to push forth, but Hamonic, MacDonald, Carkner and one of Donovan/deHaan/Ness may be a fair start if a better system is put in place - which Thompson is said to excel at.

Better defense = smoother transition, resulting in less time spent skating listlessly, almost to show the expectation of the defense doing everything defensive by 3 players that should be the majority of the secondary scoring - Bailey, Grabner, Okposo. Perhaps playing alongside Frans Nielsen makes one forget what it is to play better D, but regardless, stronger D tilts the ice less in the direction of (hopefully) 20, 60 or 45 and more towards even, if not toward the opposition's goal almost every time Tavares is on the ice.

Fix the defense, fix the team. Here's hoping that Thompson and some new blood on the blueline makes an impact.

88th Precinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 08:18 AM
potvins4cups

5 years of top 5 picks. how more consistent can you get then that? next year won't be any different. another top 5 pick is on the horizon. take that to the bank.

potvins4cups is offline   Reply With Quote