HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

NHL Fan Petition in Opposition to a Potential Lockout

Old
08-31-2012, 03:10 PM
Kveldulvr

vCash: 500
NHL Fan Petition in Opposition to a Potential Lockout

Hey all, I'm not sure how you feel about the looming threat of an impending lockout and how the NHL is publicly stating that no matter what happens the fans will return just like they have in the past but I personally hate it when someone who has never met me tells the world how I will act or what my opinion is.

I stumbled across a website formed by a group of fans with the expressed intent of applying pressure on the NHL and the owners of its respective clubs by using the only tools available to fans to express the opposition to this impending lockout.

The choice is yours, but if you want to do your part to express your opposition to a lockout and your objection to being treated as a passive fan base please take a moment to check out http://www.youhavetwoweeks.com/index.html

I thought it was worth sharing with HFBoards and its passionate members.

Here's to hoping that the season starts on time!

Kveldulvr

Kveldulvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 03:15 PM
dnicks17

Thanks for sharing, but I highly doubt any member of the NHL or NHLPA even sees this let alone has it affect their negotiations.

I'm also highly doubtful that most(or any) of the fans who sign the petition will actually boycott the league if a lock-out happens.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 03:17 PM
Kveldulvr

That's fair enough, but I still believe that it is worthwhile to share access to this initiative.

K

Old
08-31-2012, 03:58 PM
ales83fan

doesn`t even work when you try to sign it.

I will say this. If there is a lockout, I will not go to a game for the rest of the year.

Now I will watch on tv, but i am not spending money on jerseys or tickets. doesn`t matter though. My decision won`t affect the nhl. It`s a terrible idea to lock out again, but that`s what the nhl wants. If i`m the players I walk away completely. don`t ever come back and start a new league in the same cities. that`s what people want to see. The NHL is nothing without players, the players can still be something.

ales83fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 04:03 PM
Kveldulvr

It worked for me.

Old
08-31-2012, 04:15 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Same type of thing went around in the last lockout. It was silly then, it's silly now.

Fans want to feel involved and the sports networks drum up a fake publicity war and PR campaign, but the only thing that matters in these negotiations is the NHL and NHLPA. Petitions and threats of boycotts from emotional fans didn't register in the last 2 lockouts, certainly won't in this lockout.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 04:31 PM
The Last Dynasty
We're in Hell men

lol these never work

The Last Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 04:43 PM
Master Lok

waste of time. if you want to do it, go ahead but these internet petitions never work.

Both the nhl and the nhlpa wouldn't care either way. They'll give lipservice but it won't make any difference in the negotiations.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 05:12 PM
TowMater14

vCash: 50
Cool beans and all, but I am not leaving my address and email on something like this.

TowMater14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 05:40 PM
ohheyhemsky

38 people so far!

It's gonna work guys!

ohheyhemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 05:46 PM
Eytinge

Online petitions have to be the most pointless invention ever.

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 06:25 PM
Bank Shot

There is no pressure on the Oilers. They already have a sizeable portion of the season ticket holders payments.

Some of the other holders I know have already paid the full amount.

Bank Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 06:52 PM
DousedInOil

Not to sound like a jackass or anything but who exactly are we petitioning too? Its not like we can blame the NHLPA and not the NHL (or vice versa). I understand fans want to be heard but it's not like either side is against having a season.

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 07:19 PM
czar99

There should be a season ticket holders union. So when the owners lock the players out they can get rebates on the previous seasons of investment.

czar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 11:39 PM
ThePresent83

I would like to tell you all of the things I am going to do to send a message to the owners....... but it will go like this.

1. I dive hard into NFL football
2. I watch follow every small meaningless step in the negotiating process

and

3. When the NHL returns I cry of happiness and watch as many games as our televised to further fill the pockets of these guys.

TRUTH

ThePresent83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 11:50 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ales83fan View Post

I will say this. If there is a lockout, I will not go to a game for the rest of the year.

Now I will watch on tv, but i am not spending money on jerseys or tickets. doesn`t matter though. My decision won`t affect the nhl. It`s a terrible idea to lock out again, but that`s what the nhl wants. If i`m the players I walk away completely. don`t ever come back and start a new league in the same cities. that`s what people want to see. The NHL is nothing without players, the players can still be something.
I'm already at that point. Have been for years. The point where customers get fair value for their money, well, it passed us by a long time ago.

I hope the Oil Kings benefit greatly from the lockout.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 12:20 AM
vespa99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ales83fan View Post

Unfortunately you couldnt be more wrong. The buildings rights are all controlled by the league and the owners. Without the owners money and facility contracts there is no hockey in anything bigger than a community rink. The players need the owners just as much as the owners need the players. Without one the other does not exist. And frankly if the owners really played serious hardball the players would have no choice but to cave eventually. No owners, no big fat cheques. Unless the players want to make an average of 80k a year playing in tipton arena.

vespa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 01:30 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Truth: The players have more to loose so the owners aren't going to be phased.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 02:37 AM
Hairball

Sigh. I actually started a FB page to this effect directly before logging on, and seeing this thread.. I'm willing to share the link if others are interested in seeing it.

Hairball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 09:01 AM
oilers4life5

I may Be in the minority but I am on the owners side. They take all the risk so they should make more. Players no matter what make there money while owners can lose millions. I understand the players are the product but the owners finance the whole deal.

oilers4life5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 09:58 AM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4life5 View Post
I may Be in the minority but I am on the owners side. They take all the risk so they should make more. Players no matter what make there money while owners can lose millions. I understand the players are the product but the owners finance the whole deal.
I don't think that's the minority opinion anymore, if it ever was.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 12:24 PM
ales83fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa99 View Post
[/B]

Unfortunately you couldnt be more wrong. The buildings rights are all controlled by the league and the owners. Without the owners money and facility contracts there is no hockey in anything bigger than a community rink. The players need the owners just as much as the owners need the players. Without one the other does not exist. And frankly if the owners really played serious hardball the players would have no choice but to cave eventually. No owners, no big fat cheques. Unless the players want to make an average of 80k a year playing in tipton arena.
Well rexall isn't owned by an owner... Plus new owners should invest in a new league. If players are locked out they can pursue other work

ales83fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 02:17 PM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4life5 View Post
Players take the risk to their health and have invested many years into their trade. I think it is an equal risk. The fans have the least risk though they are the reason the league is viable. You can never organize the fans unfortunately. All you can do is hope the fans are so displeased that they don't go to the games for a while.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 12:13 AM
Lowe in Oil

Good idea.

Lowe in Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 02:32 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

I'm honestly not in favour of either side.

I'm a selfish **** and just want to watch hockey again. After many years of ****... we finally are seeing some light at the end of the tunnel when the Oilers finally should start turning the corner... and a ****ing lockout comes along.

Both sides deserve collective hard and swift kicks to the nutsacks to get their **** together and get the game going again.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote