HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

2012 MLB Thread Part III

Closed Thread

Old
08-31-2012, 08:01 PM
davebenj

vCash: 500
The Yankees are awful right now. Forget the Jays, how they constantly get shut down by pitchers such as Justin Masterson who is a very bad pitcher outside of his great year last year, is very frustrating.

Old
09-01-2012, 09:23 AM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebenj View Post
The Yankees are awful right now. Forget the Jays, how they constantly get shut down by pitchers such as Justin Masterson who is a very bad pitcher outside of his great year last year, is very frustrating.
They really haven't been 'great' all year despite being at the top of baseball for a few weeks earlier in the summer

They were an average team until that 10 game win streak in June and have since come back to earth and they beat most of the teams they should have beat

Injuries don't really cut it as a great excuse either, nobody aside from Jeter and Cano have been hitting - Granderson and Teixeira hitting below .260 is inexcusable

Old
09-01-2012, 09:41 AM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

Granderson strikes out like it's his job.

Old
09-01-2012, 10:28 AM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

the only reason to watch the Mets right now is to cheer on Dickey for the Cy Young.

Old
09-01-2012, 11:06 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGuy276 View Post
the only reason to watch the Mets right now is to cheer on Dickey for the Cy Young.
And to watch Harvey grow. I worry about whether the Mets will re-sign Dickey or Wright this offseason though, Harvey might be the best thing to look forward to for a while, unless Wheeler really is better than him.

I doubt Dickey wins the Cy Young anyway, there's a bit of a knuckleball bias in the baseball establishment (the same reason he didn't start the AS game), but it'll be amusing if Cueto wins it since LaRussa didn't even PICK him for the All-Star team.

Old
09-01-2012, 11:12 AM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
And to watch Harvey grow. I worry about whether the Mets will re-sign Dickey or Wright this offseason though, Harvey might be the best thing to look forward to for a while, unless Wheeler really is better than him.

I doubt Dickey wins the Cy Young anyway, there's a bit of a knuckleball bias in the baseball establishment (the same reason he didn't start the AS game), but it'll be amusing if Cueto wins it since LaRussa didn't even PICK him for the All-Star team.
He SHOULD win it because he's continued to put up wins and good performances while his team ****ing blows. How many pitchers in the league actually have 17 wins and single digit losses on horrible teams? If the mets could have scored a few runs he might have had 18 wins perhaps.

Old
09-01-2012, 11:17 AM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
He didn't start the ASG because the Giants *****ed about their catcher working with him.

Old
09-01-2012, 03:51 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
You're right, knuckleballers never get proper credit, but with nobody else really standing out this year, they might make an exception.

Old
09-02-2012, 06:11 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Yanks essentially got swept this weekend because they had no business winning Saturday with the lucky 7th inning walks and error by the O's

Chris Dickerson makes his first start of the year in CF - the run starved team gets 2 of its 3 runs today off of a HR by Dickerson and he also got on base in both of his AB's, robbed a HR and made another nice over the shoulder catch on the warning track, so what does Girardi do? He pinch hits for him in the 6th and puts in the guy that's batting .200 and either K's or HR's, Mr. Andruw Jones

Then he proceeds to use 8 pitchers, 3 of them one inning to get 3 outs - goes to Joba and Lowe again who face a combined 4 batters, give up a combined 3 runs and combine to get 1 single out

Horrible series

Old
09-02-2012, 06:13 PM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post
Yanks essentially got swept this weekend because they had no business winning Saturday with the lucky 7th inning walks and error by the O's

Chris Dickerson makes his first start of the year in CF - the run starved team gets 2 of its 3 runs today off of a HR by Dickerson and he also got on base in both of his AB's, robbed a HR and made another nice over the shoulder catch on the warning track, so what does Girardi do? He pinch hits for him and puts in the guy that's batting .200 and either K's or HR's, Mr. Andruw Jones

Then he proceeds to use 8 pitchers, 3 of them one inning to get 3 outs - goes to Joba and Lowe again who face a combined 4 batters, give up a combined 3 runs and combine to get 1 single out

Horrible series
Hughes should of been yanked before Reynolds 2nd HR. Jesus.

Old
09-02-2012, 06:17 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Man View Post
Hughes should of been yanked before Reynolds 2nd HR. Jesus.
Yea he had a bad inning and then the following inning it continued before he got to Reynolds

What killed me was Hughes gave him the same friggen pitch both times he hit the HR - you'd think he'd have learned not to leave a high FB for him after the first AB

Old
09-02-2012, 06:25 PM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post
Yea he had a bad inning and then the following inning it continued before he got to Reynolds

What killed me was Hughes gave him the same friggen pitch both times he hit the HR - you'd think he'd have learned not to leave a high FB for him after the first AB
Exactly. So inconsistant and Girardi's managing of the bullpen has always bugged me.

Old
09-03-2012, 08:10 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Man View Post
Exactly. So inconsistant and Girardi's managing of the bullpen has always bugged me.
Nothing new with the Yankees, Torre was bad about handling the bullpen too.

Old
09-03-2012, 09:24 AM
SMantzas

As an Orioles fan, I'm remaining cautiously optimistic. I just can't help feeling a bit giddy that we have a legit shot of making the playoffs

Old
09-03-2012, 11:39 AM
Wingman77
Glory Days

A-bum back in the lineup batting 4th and DHing

Old
09-03-2012, 03:23 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Kris medlen can have me

Old
09-03-2012, 06:58 PM
StvBroDan
Let Go Devils

DVR'ed the game and just decided to check the score not a surprised. Yanks suck right now its hard to even watch. Hey Tex the season is going by while you heal frooooooooooom what this time. Swisher swing the ****ing bat and learn how to check up for Gods sake. Ah **** it I'm just pissed I had to come back from Vacation.

Old
09-03-2012, 07:06 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by StvBroDan View Post
DVR'ed the game and just decided to check the score not a surprised. Yanks suck right now its hard to even watch. Hey Tex the season is going by while you heal frooooooooooom what this time. Swisher swing the ****ing bat and learn how to check up for Gods sake. Ah **** it I'm just pissed I had to come back from Vacation.
They're 16-15 since August 1st and have had more than 6 hits in just 4 of their last 10 games

I'm not even surprised because the offense was like this for most of the first half of the year minus that 10 game win streak which obviously gave us a boost but during April, May, and even into June they were playing just like they've been the past month plus

With the exception of Jeter, Cano, and Ibanez (in the begining of the year) there has been no consistent offense at all this season

Old
09-03-2012, 09:35 PM
StvBroDan
Let Go Devils

Just watched The Natural AGAIN.

Old
09-04-2012, 04:59 AM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

Yankees are just not playing baseball.

Old
09-04-2012, 02:16 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

As long as they get it together in October, I don't care what they do now. They should make the playoffs comfortably and then we'll see from there.

Old
09-04-2012, 02:17 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
As long as they get it together in October, I don't care what they do now. They should make the playoffs comfortably and then we'll see from there.
they are only 1 game up on BAL, tied with OAK, and 1.5 games up on Tampa

nothing is set yet, even with the 2nd Wildcard

Old
09-04-2012, 02:31 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebenj View Post
Masterson is not a very bad pitcher. He's simply average.

Old
09-04-2012, 02:32 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
And yeah don't give a crap about the Yankees' play right now. They're not getting much batted ball luck.

Just come to play and get the bounces in October.

Old
09-04-2012, 02:46 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
they are only 1 game up on BAL, tied with OAK, and 1.5 games up on Tampa

nothing is set yet, even with the 2nd Wildcard
I'm still not particularly worried yet. They've had horrible luck with injuries of late.

Closed Thread