HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Today I...

Closed Thread

Old
08-28-2012, 11:01 PM
flyers10

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownquestion View Post
Today I signed up for the beginner league at the rink closest to me. I'll be playing in the D-league on Sundays and the Breakout league on Mondays.

I spoke with the director of adult hockey since I am going in as a free agent - she had three teams looking for players so I told her I wanted the one most likely to be happy to have a woman player who isn't great, since I've only been playing for 6 months. She said there are LOTS of real beginners in the league (as opposed to C and B players playing down) and that if I wasn't happy on the team, she'd move me to a different one.

Games start on the 10th.
What teams did Mary put you on?

Old
08-29-2012, 07:02 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

She gave me the choice of the Hitmen, the Roller Daddies, or the Rebels. There weren't any other women on any of them. So I'm on the Rebels. She said if any other women sign up, she'll probably put them on the team with me.

Old
08-29-2012, 09:38 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Had my summer league championship game.

We've had a pretty easy year, going something like 10-2, so the playoffs have been the first real challenge, although our last few games we've outshot the other teams 2:1. Tonight the other team showed up and scored first, then we scored and again shorthanded, and they answered back on the same PP to make it 2-2.

I took a rare penalty...a guy football tackled me and I shoved him out of the way as I went to the net for the loose puck. If you've ever seen Slapshot, the Hanson brothers, they are based on real life guys, and one of them is a ref for our league...so I was arguing with him about my crosscheck

So they score on the PP, and again in the 3rd period...we're down 4-2. About 8 minutes left, we've been buzzing all period, we finally get one in and get within one.

Two minutes left, we tie it up.

As the clock's winding down, our guys get a shot and drive the net, there's a scrum, then one of them starts jumping and celebrating...refs take a look...we got the go ahead goal with 6.8 seconds left on the clock. Defend the dying seconds...and we win.

Absolutely crazy, one of the craziest games I've ever been a part of. Of course, I didn't score or get any points or do much other than forecheck because this is a higher level for me, but still a blast.

Old
08-29-2012, 10:04 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
Bought ALL of my gear for Chris Chelios' "Learn to Play" class that starts September 6th. Spent $120 on; used pants and chest pads (both look like new), new hockey socks, practice jersey, shin pads, and elbow pads. Yikes hockey is expensive...

$120 for above mentioned gear
$70 for Bauer 4500 Helmet
$70 for Bauer 4 roll gloves
$90 for Warrior 11k stick
$20 for practice wood stick
$150 x2 for "Learn to Skate" lessons
$110 for "Learn to Play" lessons
$100 (roughly) for all the Public skates i went to since March
$45 for used Bauer Total One skates
+___________
=$925 spent on hockey since February.

You know what though, i dont regret a single dollar. I've been watching the Hawks play since they drafted Toews, have been playing hockey video games since NHL 95, and have absolutely loved all things hockey since 2007. Just learning how to skate has been phenomanal. I'm 22 and my only regret is that i didn't start learning this earlier. I've never done anything this challenging and then STUCK WITH IT. Its honestly a daily pat on my back knowing that i went from never skating before to being able to do backwards crossovers in 6 months. All the hard work i've put in, all the 15 early ass, post drinking, Saturday morning Learn to Skates, all those 2-3 public skate sessions per week this summer, really paid off.

I played baseball from when i was 5 until 17 and even just skating completely blows it out of the water. I couldn't be happier that i'm doing this.
Awesome post!

I need gear buying tips from you! $120 for all that rocks, along with $45 for TotalOnes, and $70 for Bauer 4-rolls.

Old
08-29-2012, 10:25 PM
do0glas

Signed up for a league! It's silver A. I'd do B but they only play Friday evenings and I'm excited for the extra challenge. Wish me luck!

Old
08-29-2012, 11:08 PM
SlickSaves
Rookie User

A video of me in Action!

Hi, guys I'm new on here, I play prep school hockey in the states but I'm from Montreal.

Here's a highlight video of me, thought id share: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Lr6...Y&feature=plcp

Old
08-30-2012, 12:04 AM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickSaves View Post
Hi, guys I'm new on here, I play prep school hockey in the states but I'm from Montreal.

Here's a highlight video of me, thought id share: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Lr6...Y&feature=plcp
How old are you man? Those were some pretty sick saves if you ask me!

Old
08-30-2012, 02:55 AM
Royal Canuck
Go Jamie Benn!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Had my summer league championship game.

We've had a pretty easy year, going something like 10-2, so the playoffs have been the first real challenge, although our last few games we've outshot the other teams 2:1. Tonight the other team showed up and scored first, then we scored and again shorthanded, and they answered back on the same PP to make it 2-2.

I took a rare penalty...a guy football tackled me and I shoved him out of the way as I went to the net for the loose puck. If you've ever seen Slapshot, the Hanson brothers, they are based on real life guys, and one of them is a ref for our league...so I was arguing with him about my crosscheck

So they score on the PP, and again in the 3rd period...we're down 4-2. About 8 minutes left, we've been buzzing all period, we finally get one in and get within one.

Two minutes left, we tie it up.

As the clock's winding down, our guys get a shot and drive the net, there's a scrum, then one of them starts jumping and celebrating...refs take a look...we got the go ahead goal with 6.8 seconds left on the clock. Defend the dying seconds...and we win.

Absolutely crazy, one of the craziest games I've ever been a part of. Of course, I didn't score or get any points or do much other than forecheck because this is a higher level for me, but still a blast.
Wow, sounds like a good game, congratulations!

Twitter | HFBoards Contact | Youtube | Instagram| Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"Everybody says be a good loser; I think if you're a good loser, you're a loser. " - John Tortorella
Old
08-30-2012, 04:43 PM
MattB43

Got called a pylon by the goalie at lunch pick-up hockey, in a game of 2-on-2

Sorry, I've only been playing 4 months and I'm trying to defend some dude from Ontario who's been skating since he was two...

Old
08-30-2012, 06:18 PM
SCBruCrew4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickSaves View Post

Wow...were you all alone out there? No D help huh? haha. Good work!

Well, it wasn't "today" but it was tueday night, I played in a men's organized pick-up game. No clue on the final score since we didn't keep it but I was playing with guys way above my level and I kept up for the most part as well as even scoring a nice goal. Played Center which was a first for me and I'll admit, I'm pretty comfortable there. All in all good night of puck with a great group of guys

Old
08-31-2012, 05:53 PM
howeaboutthat

.....scored my first breakaway goal.

I'm not the fastest skater by a long chalk but tonight, at a pick up game, I managed to pick up a pass at the red line, fed through from the blue, out skate both opposition d-men, skate across the left of the slot and fire it home off the back post. It was only slightly spoiled by, in my desperation to score, forgetting to put the brakes on enough to avoid the end boards.

The sixth time I've played hockey and my first non-garbage goal.

I ache like a bag of painful aching things though. Working the ward for 12 hours then playing three line hockey for an hour has broken me.

Old
08-31-2012, 06:07 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Scored my first skill goal. Up to now it's been all rebounds, set up by teammates, tap ins, wild shots that went corners I wasn't aiming at. This time I managed to deke out the goalie and backhand it past him.

Last edited by Wilch: 08-31-2012 at 07:10 PM. Reason: sp
Old
08-31-2012, 06:22 PM
SCBruCrew4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Scored my first skill goal. Up to now it's been all rebounds, set up by teammates, tap ins, wide shots that went corners I wasn't aiming at. This time I managed to deke out the goalie and backhand it past him.
Story of my life haha

Old
08-31-2012, 07:10 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Just fixed my typo

Old
08-31-2012, 08:07 PM
AmazedRink
Nifty Mittens,ATTACK

I moved closer to a hockey rink and I finally have a job and can afford new skates and a league, so I can reclaim my former glory of winning another CDIHC (Canadian Deaf Ice Hockey Championships) Gold medal with Ontario and eventually trying out for the 2015 Deaflympic Canadian team, if I play good enough to make it back on Ontario, at least. A couple years of college partying, smoking and then being jobless for a year has really killed my speed, but I feel I still have stickhandling skills I can salvage and get back into it.

I've already won 2 gold medals for Ontario, although I was 17 and 19 and playing a very small role as a short twig at a men's national level tournament. I was benched the entire championship game when I was 17, it hurt so bad. The second tournament, I got to play the first 2 periods but sat the third, grateful for ice time. The skill of some of these guys is insane, some come out of Junior, some have NHL bloodlines, others are first liners in Jr B, and all of them are DEAF. Its pretty cool and something I hope to be a part of soon.

I have an elementary school in my backyard walking out to a parking lot and a huge brick wall so I can practice shooting again and working on my stickhandling skills with a smart ball. I really need to get back into training and find a league and play hockey this year to have any chance of getting back into it but I'm excited because it's been too long, I never thought I would take a couple years of hockey.

Old
09-01-2012, 01:48 AM
polysaturate

Went out to my first I(Instructional) League night tonight, and I took in a good amount of stuff. Stuff I wouldn't have learned simply skating on my own or with my brother during stick time. I also learned I am not that bad of a skater for only about 9 months under my belt.

Good way to gear up for D-league starting up two mondays from now...

Old
09-01-2012, 03:54 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Played my 4th consecutive drop-in in 4 days.

Feels like when I'm stuck on a really bad team, it's always more fun and challenging to play D rather than forward. It's a lot harder to break out when your D can't carry the puck, pass or clear the defensive zone.

Old
09-01-2012, 08:29 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
Originally Posted by polysaturate View Post
Went out to my first I(Instructional) League night tonight, and I took in a good amount of stuff. Stuff I wouldn't have learned simply skating on my own or with my brother during stick time. I also learned I am not that bad of a skater for only about 9 months under my belt.

Good way to gear up for D-league starting up two mondays from now...
Are you one of my teammates? I think so, I'm the only woman who goes to I-league other than Dorian. And she's in the net, so she doesn't count.

Old
09-01-2012, 09:36 AM
do0glas

So I've been debating what league to join.

We have:
Bronze-beginner
Silver b-novice-intermediate
Silver A-intermediate
Gold b
Gold a

Obviously, no gold lol. But I felt I could do silver A, I kept doubting myself.

Anyway, I went to drop in and it was quite a few gold players. I could skate with them but not consistently. There was a silver b player and I decided to ask him, he told me based off what he saw I should do silver A. So I felt really good!

I've only skated ice about 7 times. So I believe gold league is an attainable goal, and things are starting to click.

Wish me luck!

Old
09-01-2012, 07:00 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

Played my first high school game of the season.

Only got 6 PIM. Not bad

Old
09-01-2012, 08:47 PM
stocky

...am going to what will be the last or second to last skate Ill be able to manage before deploying.

Old
09-01-2012, 09:13 PM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocky View Post
...am going to what will be the last or second to last skate Ill be able to manage before deploying.
I know that feel bro. I'm going sometime next year so trying to get in as much as I can.

Old
09-01-2012, 09:34 PM
Gigantor The Goalie
Screw Everyone

Today I am still feeling pain in my groin after hockey on Thursday night. It was a men's rec league/pick up hockey game. Pretty fast pace and even. At least it usually is until the best player for the team that I play on didn't show up and their former junior A player who must be in his mid 20's was playing for the other team. Score wasn't too bad only 14-9. It was pretty close until about half way through, so about 40 mins in (we play for 1 1/2 hours) and then our guys just seemed to lose it.

Every time we went into the neutral zone there was a turnover and they came back on me on an odd man rush. I like being tested and having lots of shots, but this was beyond me. I'm a decently in shape young goalie but constantly moving from one side of the crease to the other took a toll on me. I didn't feel it so much during the game but afterwards ouch.

As soon as I sat down in the dressing room I realized wow my neck doesn't feel so great. Who knew tracking the puck across the crease so many times would make your neck hurt?

Still though nothing seems permanently damaged so I'm ready for round 2

Old
09-02-2012, 01:26 AM
stocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
I know that feel bro. I'm going sometime next year so trying to get in as much as I can.

I wish I would have played more hockey sooner. I just picked up ice about 3 months ago. I only was able to go to stick time 2-3 times and about a dozen public skates. I got the bug and have to leave it for a while. Im planning on joining a league as soon as I get back...

Last edited by stocky: 09-02-2012 at 01:45 AM.
Old
09-02-2012, 02:03 AM
Trl3789

vCash: 219
Today i put myself on the Free Agent List so i can join my first league. Only 2 more weeks of my adult beginners hockey class.

For some reason i'm super nervous.

Closed Thread