HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beginner Hockey Q?

Old
09-02-2012, 02:35 AM
BeezyD18

vCash: 500
Beginner Hockey Q?

Im wondering what hockey stick i should buy and i was thinking of buying the Vapor X20 77 flex with P88 pattern or the X40 with the same flex and pattern. Im not sure if i should go up to 87 but I've been reading up about it and people were saying the 77 were pretty nice. Also I'm not sure how many rolls of hockey tape i should buy but I'm thinking 15 and 30 pucks to shoot on a goal. Im 16 and about 5'9 or 5'10 and weigh bout 150-160. So what do y'all think?

BeezyD18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 02:38 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

If you're looking at going to stick and puck to practice, 3-4 pucks will suffice.

If you're a beginner standing at 5'10 and weighing 150 pounds, might want to consider looking at a flex between 65 and 75 (or Bauer's 77). What stick you want to buy will depend on how much you want to spend and how much you like the feel of it. Same goes for pattern.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 08:26 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

15 rolls of tape would probably last a while. I get them for $3 ea or 4/$10, so I generally do 4 at a time.

Unless you're ordering online or tape is inconvenient to buy locally, I wouldn't get 15.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 10:03 AM
Stickchecked

My eyes always get big when hockey equipment arrives at Costco and I always get a pack of clear tape. (What a bargain!) And then I realize I haven't gone through the pack I bought last year.

And I play several times a week.

That stuff lasts forever. No need to load up. Just buy more when you get to the last roll.

And unless you're buying pucks for the entire ice, 15+ pucks is way too many to take on the ice. You'll just lose them 1 by 1 to sticky fingers.

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 12:34 PM
stocky

15 pucks is too many in my opinion, unless you have a shooting pad and want to practice your shot. Where I go for stick time, you really only need one puck at a time. So, if you cant keep track of 1 puck you may want 15, but 3 or 4 should do.

stocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 01:56 PM
BeezyD18

Im getting a shooting pad 2 so i mean how many pucks for a shooting pad

BeezyD18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 04:13 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickchecked View Post
My eyes always get big when hockey equipment arrives at Costco and I always get a pack of clear tape. (What a bargain!) And then I realize I haven't gone through the pack I bought last year.
I can't get over the idea of buying hockey tape at Costco!

I love the different products you can see in various Costcos. In Hawaii, they have like 10 different brands of soy sauce (Shoyu) in gallon jugs. And they sell surfboards and a bunch of Asian foods.

Here in AZ, we tend to have tamales, salsa, and a lot of stuff that is 'boring' to me because I'm used to it. I'd love to go to a Costco up north and see what they sell.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 07:10 PM
stocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeezyD18 View Post
Im getting a shooting pad 2 so i mean how many pucks for a shooting pad
As many as you want to shoot before you have to chase them and pick them all up.

stocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 08:57 PM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

At my teams shooting pad we have about 25 pucks and 30 orange pucks, but I find it easiest to just shoot 10 pucks at a time. It's a lot easier to rack up 10 rather than spend 5 minutes chasing a ton of pucks.

ReverendAlBundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 10:27 PM
O23L
Worst tank ever.

I have about 25 for my shooting pad. Works for me.

And don't go out and buy a $60 pad. Go to home depot/lowes or any of thoes type of stores and get a thing called "Thrifty white hardboard" for like $8. Throw some WD40 on it, and it works just as well, for 1/6th the price.

O23L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 10:54 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

I usually shoot 6-8 on my home pad because my hands can only grab 4 pucks each.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 05:10 AM
PierreMcGuire*
How dissapointing

For the shooting pad, you can have as many pucks as you want, there's no right or wrong answer. Personally I like to shoot pretty far from the net and like to have a lot of pucks, and don't like making the trek back and forth, I like to shoot, shoot, and keep shooting, so I use as many pucks as possible. I use about 20 but that's only because I don't want to spend any more money, and if you have funds to buy lots of pucks, I say go for it.

For something like stick and puck, all you need is one puck. Maybe have a few pucks and rotate through them. There's no point in bringing more, as you will just wind up losing them, or not be able to use them.

Tape, 15 rolls is more than enough, you defiantly won't need that many, but if the bulk tape rolls are on sale, then I guess there's no reason not to.

PierreMcGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 02:19 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If you can swing the X40, go for it. A lot better. 77 flex would be the highest I'd go at your height, and potentially even considering the 67, especially since Vapors are kind of stiff for the rating.

I use about 20 pucks for shooting and usually buy 2-3 rolls of tape at a time. Just buy 1-2 rolls each of white and black and see what you prefer...

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote