HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

HARBORcenter Thread

Old
08-31-2012, 09:46 AM
joshjull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
No, whether or not they'll be able to fill these rinks.
Oh ok

Yes they will fill them with ease. I've been coaching for several years and the demand for ice locally is enormous.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 09:48 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
Can you imagine the greatness of playing your hockey game at 4 in the afternoon, undressing and walking across the street to watch the Sabres?

Can anybody speak to this: how do we figure the rinks will be booked? I think there are plenty of good rinks, rinks that will likely be cheaper, around town with vacancies, are there not?
Ice time in the city is hard to come by. You've got Tacoma/Riversize/Caz Park owned by the city, then Buffalo State's rink. Most of the time, if you call them to book ice, you're getting a late evening (10pm-ish) weeknight slot.

The last group I regularly played with, we could only get after 10pm at Tacoma in the summer, and after 10:30pm at Riverside, both Thursday nights. We got 6pm/7pm for league games on Sundays in the summer, but only because we pre-paid for 12 weeks.

Two more sheets in the city proper will be huge.

SackTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 09:50 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
There is a shortage of icetime locally. If this means people aren't at Holiday or Northtown to play at midnight any more, so be it. But there are a lot of under-served teams out there and more ice is a good thing.
My 2 older daughters (9th and 8th graders) have a chance to try out for the Frontier/OP girls varsity hockey team. That team practices at 5:30 am during the week. Its a serious consideration for them when deciding to tryout.

Old
08-31-2012, 09:54 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Ice time in the city is hard to come by. You've got Tacoma/Riversize/Caz Park owned by the city, then Buffalo State's rink. Most of the time, if you call them to book ice, you're getting a late evening (10pm-ish) weeknight slot.

The last group I regularly played with, we could only get after 10pm at Tacoma in the summer, and after 10:30pm at Riverside, both Thursday nights. We got 6pm/7pm for league games on Sundays in the summer, but only because we pre-paid for 12 weeks.

Two more sheets in the city proper will be huge.
Its even bigger than that. I coach at Hamburg and in order to get enough ice time for the organization (mostly the travel and girls teams) they've booked huge chunks of ice time every year at the E. Aurora rink ( I believe Hamburg takes close to half the ice time there). While a neat idea its hardly a place you want to play a state qualifying game and its more expensive than the Nike Base. Hamburg also has ice at Leisure and the Nichols small rink. Most teams double up ice and its made if very hard to grow the girls program with the inability to have more than 4 girls teams for any season. This is an issue (ice time for the entire organization and growing the girl programs) with most local organizations.

The point I'm getting at is organizations like Hamburg, West Seneca, etc will be looking to grab ice there. Or will grab the ice opened up by others getting ice there.

Last edited by joshjull: 08-31-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old
08-31-2012, 10:02 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense for the closer southtown suburbs too. I didn't even really think of that. (But I never played down there much.)

I think these two sheets will be consistently full for a LONG time. We're a long way from having enough ice to go around.

SackTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 10:10 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Its even bigger than that. I coach at Hamburg and in order to get enough ice time for the organization (mostly the travel and girls teams) they've booked huge chunks of ice time every year at the E. Aurora rink ( I believe Hamburg takes close to half the ice time there). While a neat idea its hardly a place you want to play a state qualifying game and its more expensive than the Nike Base. Hamburg also has ice at Leisure and the Nichols small rink. Most teams double up ice and its made if very hard to grow the girls program with the inability to have more than 4 girls teams for any season. This is an issue (ice time for the entire organization and growing the girl programs) with most local organizations.

The point I'm getting at is organizations like Hamburg, West Seneca, etc will be looking to grab ice there. Or will grab the ice opened up by others getting ice there.
Yep, the under-served cross section will eat up time freed up by anyone who relocates to the new rinks or grab time at those rinks themselves. There is a ridiculous demand out there and there could be even more. I'm still waiting to see if Kaleta's rink gets put up. As a native of the southtowns, we had ****-all for rinks. It was pond hockey or waiting in line at the Nike base or shlepping all over town for an odd-hour opening. The more rinks, the better.

08-31-2012, 10:24 AM
zbubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
I think Takeo was referring to something more than just a handful of times a year, like a 5-7 day a week attraction. At least, that's what I took from his comment.
I get the feeling that most people who criticize this idea are forgetting it is just a supplement to all that is going to happen at Canalside, and not the only attraction.

zbubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 10:35 AM
zbubble

Quote:
Leave the decision up to the Amherst planning board and point at the BMHA projects off Perry... they'll be levelled in weeks.

I was just in downtown Philly. Love how they've set up all three of their stadiums to all utilize the same parking and highway pattern.
Perry projects would actually work. The area between Chicago, South Park, Louisana, and Scott would fit a stadium. The only thing you don't get is something directly on the waterfront.

zbubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 01:46 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
Quote:
Actually they will be nice money makers. Most of the top money making events events in the Buffalo area are amateur sport tournaments and events.

This project would essentially give the Sabres a 3 rink facility to host hockey tournaments. The hotels downtown would benefit greatly from this. There is no way the hotel thats part of the project would be able to hold the amount of families that would be coming in for a tournament.

As for not being blue chip. I think thats more a product of a lack of understanding of the money that can be generated from the events its could host and the demand for ice in this area.
Turning a profit and revitalizing an entire district are quite a bit disparate.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 01:57 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal System Ehrhoff View Post
One can not simply have one project turning an entire area around. It takes a synergy of multiple destinations. This is but one more. The more, the better.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 02:27 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

Quote:
One can not simply have one project turning an entire area around. It takes a synergy of multiple destinations. This is but one more. The more, the better.
Of course. Check your expectations, people.

Old
08-31-2012, 02:30 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
It seems your post is implying people have out of whack expectations. I don't see it.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 04:03 PM
sabregoat

Quote:

Last year out of almost 50 games, my sons Hamburg travel team had 4 game at the Nike base. This years team has had to share 5 out of 15 practices so far.

sabregoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 04:07 PM
Insomniac99

Quote:
I think you're the only one seeing people apply lofty expectations to this project. As Chainshot stated, we're all seeing this as one piece of a whole. A good piece, but a piece nonetheless. I don't see how you can honestly look at this project without viewing it as something positive for the area. Go back ten years, look at that area, and tell me that there hasn't been a lot of improvement.

Insomniac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 05:58 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

Quote:
It seems your post is implying people have out of whack expectations. I don't see it.
I'm not going to be petty and point fingers . I'm annoying enough as is.

Old
08-31-2012, 08:28 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

It is a good plan for the sabres to be involved in the harbor. Most people might suggest that the first Niagara center was a favorite destination. And this was desirable back when the arena was in the planning stages.
Of course I want more from the design. Look how much fun they are having at the Dubai mall and look how much fun the sabres are having on the ice. Though lately the architecture has been great (burch field penny, vascular institute). So it's a great idea to build upon the experience and make buffalo a popular destination.

Sports city.

Sell that hockey experience like no tomorrow. Get great skate to open up a store(can I get a deal on some skates?)

Last edited by ImpressedDAHagent: 08-31-2012 at 09:52 PM.
ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 09:33 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

Santa Monica parking garage. Just a bit more fun with the design

Last edited by ImpressedDAHagent: 08-31-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old
09-02-2012, 12:18 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

Should be a side story on NHL.com

Old
09-03-2012, 10:58 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Everyone, except yourself, seems to understand that its one piece of a bigger puzzle. The project is a perfect fit for what going on down there. Thats why posters are excited about it.

Yet you keep lamenting that posters think its some cure all project when no one has argued that. You also complain about over the top expectations but refuse to point out who has them and what they are.

Last edited by joshjull: 09-03-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old
09-04-2012, 12:23 PM
Fire Me
Cleared, BUT NOT OUT

meh. Not impressed.

Fire Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 12:55 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

The webster block is filled with energy, like the love for hockey here. Adding to the sabres experience is going to create an arena district.

Last edited by ImpressedDAHagent: 09-04-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old
09-04-2012, 02:09 PM
rkorchinski

For anyone who has not been to the arena district in Columbus, OH take a look. Incredible facility.

http://arenadistrict.com/

rkorchinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 04:53 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpressedDAHagent View Post
Should be a side story on NHL.com
It will be when the Sabres use it to host their own rookie tournament. I can't see them going back to Traverse City when this project is completed. They could also bid to have the NHL Scouting Combine held here.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 05:03 PM
Dreakon

The guy's single handedly trying to make Buffalo a destination. How can you not love Pegula.

Dreakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 06:49 PM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakon View Post
The guy's single handedly trying to make Buffalo a destination. How can you not love Pegula.
Let's not exaggerate here. He has spent money on the team and arena and then this. He has given every indication he wouldn't even go this far.

enrothorne is offline   Reply With Quote