HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Connor McDavid - Erie Otters, OHL (2015 Draft)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-22-2012, 06:50 AM
  #376
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,912
vCash: 500
Is it just me, but all the TOP END ELITE talent seems to coming out of the greater Vancouver area and the greater Toronto area. Ok, not all, but these two areas are spitting out a lot of talented players at a rate far above others in the country. anybody else noticing the same?

Mr Writer is offline  
Old
07-22-2012, 03:40 PM
  #377
puckfan13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Is it just me, but all the TOP END ELITE talent seems to coming out of the greater Vancouver area and the greater Toronto area. Ok, not all, but these two areas are spitting out a lot of talented players at a rate far above others in the country. anybody else noticing the same?
Considering the population distribution... Toronto should be producing a great deal of players. Saskatchewan still outpaces its own population by a lot in terms of producing hockey I would say.

For a John Tavares, there's still a Matt Duchene from Halliburton. For a Pietrangelo, there's still a Doughty from Ottawa. There's good players from all over but obviously the places with the most people will probably produce the most players..

puckfan13 is offline  
Old
07-22-2012, 03:52 PM
  #378
SmellOfVictory
Registered User
 
SmellOfVictory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,419
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endersoldier View Post
Hallsy sure looks like a hockey player. Or a donkey.
Specifically a Pinocchio-style donkeyboy.


SmellOfVictory is offline  
Old
07-22-2012, 05:57 PM
  #379
Canuck71*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Considering the population distribution... Toronto should be producing a great deal of players. Saskatchewan still outpaces its own population by a lot in terms of producing hockey I would say.

For a John Tavares, there's still a Matt Duchene from Halliburton. For a Pietrangelo, there's still a Doughty from Ottawa. There's good players from all over but obviously the places with the most people will probably produce the most players..
Sorry for nitpicking but Doughty is from London. Good point made though, the high end talent is rather spread out.

Canuck71* is offline  
Old
08-20-2012, 05:28 PM
  #380
Breakfast of Champs
Registered User
 
Breakfast of Champs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,147
vCash: 500
Getting really excited to see what McDavid can do in the OHL.

What are some realistic expectations for him as a 15 year old? Tavares had 77 points so I would assume McDavid should be around there if he truly is the next big star.

Breakfast of Champs is offline  
Old
08-20-2012, 09:59 PM
  #381
welcometothebigshow2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakfast of Champs View Post
Getting really excited to see what McDavid can do in the OHL.

What are some realistic expectations for him as a 15 year old? Tavares had 77 points so I would assume McDavid should be around there if he truly is the next big star.
It wouldn't be to big of a stretch to predict a 25-35 season for the kid, with potential to do more damage. A lot more damage.

welcometothebigshow2 is offline  
Old
08-28-2012, 07:31 PM
  #382
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,128
vCash: 500
Quote:
GoErieHockey Connor McDavid scores on 2 of 1st 3 shifts in the scrimmage. Watch the goals from #11 in red ... http://yfrog.us/md1eehxkbdjzwwyxbtvccwdbz http://yfrog.us/0j90909155ojgfckkkfyzfsxfutvbz
http://twitter.com/GoErieHockey/stat...71799543369728

Let the hype begin.

jfb392 is offline  
Old
08-28-2012, 08:12 PM
  #383
bruinsfan46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,457
vCash: 500
Three and a half weeks until the Knights season opener and McDavid comes to town, I'm excited.

bruinsfan46 is offline  
Old
08-28-2012, 11:30 PM
  #384
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8
 
heusy_79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,566
vCash: 720
Yikes, that's some rough defensive work for 20 black in that first video. Gets absolutely burnt at the offensive blue line, and then has terrible positioning on the goal by McDavid, basically laid down at the weakside post and let him walk to the net.

heusy_79 is offline  
Old
09-01-2012, 12:12 PM
  #385
Garyboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,837
vCash: 500
McDavid had 2 assists in Erie's first exhibition game against Niagra last night.

Garyboy is offline  
Old
09-01-2012, 11:00 PM
  #386
SchennerandNazzie
Registered User
 
SchennerandNazzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 370
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
McDavid had 2 assists in Erie's first exhibition game against Niagra last night.
I was at that game. Both were primary beauty assists. Hes a real playmaker and has excellent vision and at protecting the puck. He was in a whole other league compared to everyone on the ice. Strome never played that night or dane fox so it wasnt hard to be leaps and bpunds ahead of everyone on the ice

SchennerandNazzie is offline  
Old
09-01-2012, 11:23 PM
  #387
Dr Good Vibes
Registered User
 
Dr Good Vibes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 936
vCash: 500
Nothing special...

Dr Good Vibes is offline  
Old
09-02-2012, 12:44 AM
  #388
puckfan13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
McDavid had 2 assists in Erie's first exhibition game against Niagra last night.
The highlights are on TSN's video player.

puckfan13 is offline  
Old
09-02-2012, 12:55 AM
  #389
thrillhouse99
Registered User
 
thrillhouse99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 841
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakfast of Champs View Post
Getting really excited to see what McDavid can do in the OHL.

What are some realistic expectations for him as a 15 year old? Tavares had 77 points so I would assume McDavid should be around there if he truly is the next big star.
He should get plenty of ice time so if he is capable he should have the chance to put up those kind of numbers.

I was very impressed with him in the all Canadians game, and I'm very excited to see what he does this year.

thrillhouse99 is offline  
Old
09-02-2012, 01:21 PM
  #390
bert
Registered User
 
bert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Is it just me, but all the TOP END ELITE talent seems to coming out of the greater Vancouver area and the greater Toronto area. Ok, not all, but these two areas are spitting out a lot of talented players at a rate far above others in the country. anybody else noticing the same?
Actually per capita Edmonton is the best city at producing NHL talent followed by Ottawa/Gatineau.

bert is offline  
Old
09-02-2012, 01:47 PM
  #391
j12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 197
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
Actually per capita Edmonton is the best city at producing NHL talent followed by Ottawa/Gatineau.
Unless Edmonton has 116 NHLers currently playing, it falls short of matching a city like Welland (pop. 50,000) for example, which has a 1 to 7,000 ratio, and has produced 7 current NHLers: Nathan Horton, Paul Bissonnette, Dan Girardi, Dan Paille, Andre Deveaux, Matt Ellis & Cal Clutterbuck.

j12 is offline  
Old
09-02-2012, 01:53 PM
  #392
Sureves
Registered User
 
Sureves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 9,297
vCash: 500
I've only seen him play once in that game on TSN, but let me just say that he stuck our like a sore thumb there...just so much better than everyone.

Sureves is offline  
Old
09-02-2012, 02:41 PM
  #393
GuillaumeLetsundress*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by j12 View Post
Unless Edmonton has 116 NHLers currently playing, it falls short of matching a city like Welland (pop. 50,000) for example, which has a 1 to 7,000 ratio, and has produced 7 current NHLers: Nathan Horton, Paul Bissonnette, Dan Girardi, Dan Paille, Andre Deveaux, Matt Ellis & Cal Clutterbuck.
Thunder Bay Ont, has to be close but has 100 000 pop, but big names such as eric, jordan, marc staal, Tommy and Taylor Pyatt, Sharp, Auld, Bortuzzo, Letowski(not active), taylor chorney(birth), also ryan and greg johnson

also looking forward to seeing mcdavid start the season, erie shouldnt be as bad as they usually are, they have dansk now in net and a young team that was even younger last year so many of the players have a couple years under their belt


Last edited by GuillaumeLetsundress*: 09-02-2012 at 02:43 PM. Reason: O/T
GuillaumeLetsundress* is offline  
Old
09-02-2012, 03:31 PM
  #394
Garyboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,837
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
The highlights are on TSN's video player.
Thanks for the heads-up.

Garyboy is offline  
Old
09-02-2012, 06:43 PM
  #395
j12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 197
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheramone View Post
Thunder Bay Ont, has to be close but has 100 000 pop, but big names such as eric, jordan, marc staal, Tommy and Taylor Pyatt, Sharp, Auld, Bortuzzo, Letowski(not active), taylor chorney(birth), also ryan and greg johnson
Yep, was just using Welland as an example that easily knocked down his argument. Plenty of cities in Canada currently have more NHLers per capita than Edmonton.

j12 is offline  
Old
09-02-2012, 08:11 PM
  #396
Nullus Reverentia
Registered User
 
Nullus Reverentia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Periphery
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 17,421
vCash: 500
He's definitely a special talent and hopefully another generational level talent but as I mentioned in a thread probably a few months back, I really don't like that he got a lot more attention than Aaron Ekblad did at the same age. If TSN didn't mention he was a the third player behind Tavares and Ekblad to get exceptional status you'd think McDavid was the first player since Tavares to get it.

Nullus Reverentia is offline  
Old
09-02-2012, 09:01 PM
  #397
Garyboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,837
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
He's definitely a special talent and hopefully another generational level talent but as I mentioned in a thread probably a few months back, I really don't like that he got a lot more attention than Aaron Ekblad did at the same age. If TSN didn't mention he was a the third player behind Tavares and Ekblad to get exceptional status you'd think McDavid was the first player since Tavares to get it.
High scoring forwards with ridiculous skill sets tend to get more attention that shutdown defensemen.

Garyboy is offline  
Old
09-02-2012, 09:28 PM
  #398
Nullus Reverentia
Registered User
 
Nullus Reverentia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Periphery
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 17,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
High scoring forwards with ridiculous skill sets tend to get more attention that shutdown defensemen.
Since when is Ekblad a shutdown defensemen? He had a very respectable offensive season at 15, better than most 16 year old defensemen. He's a two way guy, wouldn't be surprised to see him touch 45-50 points this season.

Nullus Reverentia is offline  
Old
09-02-2012, 09:40 PM
  #399
GuillaumeLetsundress*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
High scoring forwards with ridiculous skill sets tend to get more attention that shutdown defensemen.
nonono he does it all,

GuillaumeLetsundress* is offline  
Old
09-02-2012, 10:04 PM
  #400
Breakfast of Champs
Registered User
 
Breakfast of Champs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,147
vCash: 500
Regardless of Ekblad's playing style, the Dman will almost always get less media hype than the forward.

Although in this case you could say its because McDavid seems to be potentially the best prospect since Crosby. I'm not saying hes there yet but from what people who have seen him play are saying, and the stats he put up last season as a 14 year old, he could be the real deal.

Breakfast of Champs is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:45 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.