HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Video Game Talk (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
08-31-2012, 11:30 PM
frag2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Oilers View Post
Nope. The Wii was a big waste of money for me. The only games I play now is sports games. Can't stand MW3 or any of those shoot-em-up kind of games now. Too many kids and too many losers who play 24/7 just to reach prestige and brag about how great they are. I'd rather work and make crap loads of money and brag to them how great I am instead
This. I work in IT and all my coworkers in my department, who coincidentally are older than me and I'm pretty old-lived through the glory years-they are the exact same. It got to the point online FPS are a waste unless you are playing with close friends since players these days play so religiously they are beyond good. That said though, I do find it fun trolling clans and stuff [whatever they call them these days] in Halo with my boss...he plays competitive, I'm there to annoy

But like you said, make money>>>gaming.

Or I just hit the gym instead

Old
09-01-2012, 12:20 AM
The Bored Man

vCash: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Heh, I've never tried Skyrim yet either, not really into the whole dungeons and dragons type game. But I keep hearing how great a game it is. If I liked Fallout 3 and Mass Effect, I should like Skyrim then right?
Get it, the only regrets you'll have will be the dip in your productivity. I've never bought or been interested in this dungeons and dragons type of game before and it sucked me in pretty quick. Picked up a brand new copy for $35 plus shipping on EBay.

The flaws are minimal, almost nitpicky. The enemies occasionally feel either over- or under-powered; there are random mechanic glitches like getting stuck behind a door or an important dialogue option disappearing; the animation for riding a horse feels a little clunky. Other than that, you can put in a hundred hours into this game without doing the main quest. Engineer a coup, destroy zombie hordes, defend/invade a city, join an assassin/thief/warrior brotherhood, rescue prisoners from forts, and, of course, slay dragons. Bored as I may be, I even enjoy the relatively inane stuff like enchanting weapons or making poisons . Beautiful scenery, tons of quest variety, compelling stories, and an IMMENSE world to explore.

/fanboyrant

Mind you, I'm not actually much of a gamer--this is the first "blockbuster" game I've bought in a long time--so my standards for a good game are lower than some of the other folks in this thread.

Last edited by The Bored Man: 09-01-2012 at 12:27 AM.
Old
09-01-2012, 12:31 AM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

I'd only recommend Skyrim for the PC, because the mods can actually make it fun.

Old
09-01-2012, 02:57 AM
alanschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePresent83 View Post
I would STRONGLY recommend The Walking Dead to anyone who wants great bang for your buck. I've played through the first 3 episodes and cant wait for the 4th and 5th.

This is a game for players who like great story, great characters, choose your own adventure style play, detective style play, morality issues, and of course, zombies.

There are tons of fine 60 dollar games out on the shelves, but instead, stay in your house, go into the game marketplace, by the 1st episode for like 5 bucks, and let yourself get hooked.
Seconded. Picked it up on a Steam sale this week and loved every minute of it. So well done.

Old
09-01-2012, 07:13 AM
Darnell Nurse
SMASHBROS2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalegion View Post
You just revealed your age group with this post lol 12-16
Actually, I know of 40 year olds who still play pokemon

http://www.smogon.com/

I don't seem so bad now huh?

Old
09-01-2012, 10:18 AM
awesomo
HARD!

+1 for walking dead, great game

Old
09-01-2012, 12:14 PM
thalegion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Anyone else get sucked into Guild Wars 2??
Installing as we speak actually

Old
09-01-2012, 12:15 PM
thalegion

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNH View Post
Actually, I know of 40 year olds who still play pokemon

http://www.smogon.com/

I don't seem so bad now huh?
It was the combination of things that led me to my conclusion, wasn't insulting in anyway just pointing out a theory. Was I correct?

Old
09-01-2012, 02:23 PM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
This. I work in IT and all my coworkers in my department, who coincidentally are older than me and I'm pretty old-lived through the glory years-they are the exact same. It got to the point online FPS are a waste unless you are playing with close friends since players these days play so religiously they are beyond good. That said though, I do find it fun trolling clans and stuff [whatever they call them these days] in Halo with my boss...he plays competitive, I'm there to annoy

But like you said, make money>>>gaming.

Or I just hit the gym instead
I don't like online FPS at all. Every time I sign out someone camps and kills me in seconds.

Old
09-01-2012, 02:51 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
I don't like online FPS at all. Every time I sign out someone camps and kills me in seconds.
Same though I don't hate FPS.

It's funny because back in the day, when I actually went to an arcade to play say Street Fighter 2 or something, you end up having fun even if you lose. Nowadays, with online gaming, any genre you sign into, you end up playing against kids/grown ups that spend majority of their life playing these games religiously to the point their skill level makes it no fun. And when I mean religiously, I mean they go home after work/school and just game. Nothing else.

For me, online gaming is generally with friends for good ol' lolz

Old
09-01-2012, 04:13 PM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Same though I don't hate FPS.

It's funny because back in the day, when I actually went to an arcade to play say Street Fighter 2 or something, you end up having fun even if you lose. Nowadays, with online gaming, any genre you sign into, you end up playing against kids/grown ups that spend majority of their life playing these games religiously to the point their skill level makes it no fun. And when I mean religiously, I mean they go home after work/school and just game. Nothing else.

For me, online gaming is generally with friends for good ol' lolz
You honestly think that **** like XBL and PSN is more hardcore than the old arcade scene? Were you paying attention to the people in those places? "Back in the day" is when everyone was putting in those hours, now they're just carrying them over. It doesn't take a religious effort at all to be good at any modern game if you've been in a genre that long.

Old
09-01-2012, 04:25 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
You honestly think that **** like XBL and PSN is more hardcore than the old arcade scene? Were you paying attention to the people in those places? "Back in the day" is when everyone was putting in those hours, now they're just carrying them over. It doesn't take a religious effort at all to be good at any modern game if you've been in a genre that long.
Nope. Not saying its hardcore at all, saying nowadays you can't really have fun like since 1 hour after launch, its not hard to find someone 20+ levels ahead, unlike back then where you can go to any arcade and you're bound to have some enjoyment out of it-win or lose. Don't know about you, but if I game, I prefer to have some fun out of it, not a) constantly lose because some kid played the game hard core and b) deal with immature individuals, not just kids, whining, *****ing, making racial slurs all session long

Not sure where you read me saying its hardcore and that tone of yours...

Old
09-01-2012, 06:41 PM
czar99

vCash: 50
Old school arcade?

Karate Champ for the win!

Old
09-01-2012, 09:05 PM
Darnell Nurse
SMASHBROS2014

Anybody still play JRPGS?

Sephiroth is honsetly the best video game villianever with the possible expection of Zanza (or maybe Liquid)

Old
09-01-2012, 09:24 PM
dnicks17

Any character that was voiced by a member of 'N Sync at one time immediately falls out of the running for best video game villain ever.

Old
09-01-2012, 11:40 PM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Any character that was voiced by a member of 'N Sync at one time immediately falls out of the running for best video game villain ever.
Questionable dubbing decisions aren't Sephiroth's fault. Although he's sort of just Magus with a sword instead of a scythe.

The G-Man would be the best villain if they'd actually.. explain anything. Valve probably doesn't even know what's going on there.

Old
09-02-2012, 04:30 PM
alanschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by czar99 View Post
Old school arcade?

Karate Champ for the win!
Ooahhh.... rawwww.. arrrh.... ooff ahh... hah hah... oooahh.. SMACK!

♫ Do do do DOO do DOOOo ♫

Old
09-02-2012, 04:37 PM
alanschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNH View Post
Anybody still play JRPGS?

Sephiroth is honsetly the best video game villianever with the possible expection of Zanza (or maybe Liquid)
As time has gone on Sephiroth and FF7 have become more and more overrated IMO. The game was a huge success and very well done, but I actually prefer FF6 a lot more. I think the thing that always got me about FF7 (and a lot of PSX games in general actually) is that people hyped up the amazing graphics, when really it was the prerendered videos that blew people's minds.

As a result I don't really play JRPGs anymore.

Jon Irenicus is probably one of my favourite villains. Or Kreia from KOTOR 2 (in spite of the bugs I like that game a lot). Or Kefka from FF6! That laugh! LOL

Old
09-02-2012, 04:44 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
As time has gone on Sephiroth and FF7 have become more and more overrated IMO. The game was a huge success and very well done, but I actually prefer FF6 a lot more. I think the thing that always got me about FF7 (and a lot of PSX games in general actually) is that people hyped up the amazing graphics, when really it was the prerendered videos that blew people's minds.

As a result I don't really play JRPGs anymore.

Jon Irenicus is probably one of my favourite villains. Or Kreia from KOTOR 2 (in spite of the bugs I like that game a lot). Or Kefka from FF6! That laugh! LOL
So evil, he poisoned a town's water supply...

...if my memory serves me correctly...which lately it hasn't

Old
09-02-2012, 04:56 PM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

NA League of Legends regionals final is live.. $150k for the winner and a spot in the World Championship which is a $2 million pot.

http://www.ustream.tv/RiotGames/theater

Old
09-02-2012, 05:37 PM
Hugo Stiglitz

vCash: 1439
Anyone getting Hearthfire for Skyrim when it comes out?

Old
09-02-2012, 05:40 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
So evil, he poisoned a town's water supply...

...if my memory serves me correctly...which lately it hasn't
Kefka became a ****ing god, he's probably the baddest ff villain of all time

Old
09-02-2012, 05:47 PM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
Kefka became a ****ing god, he's probably the baddest ff villain of all time
Poisoned a towns water, killed the empire's general, became God.. and

Old
09-02-2012, 06:56 PM
Jamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I'm through with buying NHL games. I barely touched 11 and 12.

It would be nice if EA offered updates for say, 30 bucks opposed to charging full price for a glorified update every year.
My exact mantra

Old
09-02-2012, 06:59 PM
Jamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Most of the sidequests(and there's a lot of them) are your typical go to this generic dungeon, clear it and get an item off the "boss". You'll end up fighting a lot of the same enemies in almost identical caves or structures with them.

The main quest line is awesome. I really liked it. As well there's some other solid storylines with different factions i.e. you can side with one of the two armies fighting for Skyrim, work your way up the ranks of The Thieves Guild and/or The Dark Brotherhood, etc.

Some playstyles need a few skill points to make it easier(like the archer or sword/board warrior), but they're all fairly viable from the beginning. I haven't played as a spell caster though, so they might be a different story.
Not end/or.

I was leader of the Mages college, Thieves guild (so tedious), dark brotherhood (awesome plotline) and the storm cloaks. Also joined the storm cloaks.

I was like 100 hours into it from November to a couple months ago and then I got burned out. Its tough to get back into a game like this after a long break. Exact same thing happened to me with Fallout 3 a few years ago

Closed Thread