HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Today I...

Closed Thread

Old
09-02-2012, 06:36 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

vCash: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl3789 View Post
Today i put myself on the Free Agent List so i can join my first league. Only 2 more weeks of my adult beginners hockey class.

For some reason i'm super nervous.
It's cause you care enough that you don't want to leave a bad impression. You've obviously been working hard and you don't want to see it all go to waste. Perfectly normal, even for me who's been playing hockey for the past 16 years, 14 years in net.

Old
09-02-2012, 07:00 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Let It Go

vCash: 100
Today I had to make the decision to not play in a game tonight because I'm sick.

Ugh.

Old
09-02-2012, 07:09 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia McMillan View Post
Today I had to make the decision to not play in a game tonight because I'm sick.

Ugh.
Bummer, well miss you.

Old
09-03-2012, 04:16 PM
SauceHockey
Retired

Got 4 points yesterday in a game where we oblitarated our opponent

Old
09-03-2012, 09:17 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

(HS hockey player) Played in a championship game in a Labor Day tournament. The team we were playing against is a bunch of sandbaggers who blow out teams 15-0 in almost every game. Only lost 6-1, so I'm happy with my team.

Only problem is one ******* on the other team. The kid takes runs at people, and is the dirtiest ***** I've ever played against. He speared me in the balls tonight, and drew about 3 penalties from diving. He also slew-footed me twice. He was even cherry picking with 20 seconds left in a 6-1 game. His dad is the coach, and is almost as big of a piece of **** as his son. I got into a chirping fest with him, and he sent his biggest player to board me.

League wont do anything about it because this guy and the league president are buddies. That's why they're in our division too. Because they want to win a state title.

**** like this pisses me off.

Old
09-04-2012, 01:05 AM
polysaturate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownquestion View Post
Are you one of my teammates? I think so, I'm the only woman who goes to I-league other than Dorian. And she's in the net, so she doesn't count.
I got placed on hitless...sooo

Old
09-04-2012, 06:52 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Nope, I'm on the Rebels.

Old
09-04-2012, 09:41 AM
PaperworkNinja

Saturday during our after-class session of banc, I fired off a backhand shot into the boards that sailed right into the net. I swear people thought I'd done something impossible. I, uh, totally, totally, planned it. Completely. No desperation there, I knew that getting double-teamed would require a precise shot off the boards to get the goal... really. Honest.

Old
09-04-2012, 12:54 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

It's been a year since I started skating and playing hockey.

I must say, the time and dedication I put into improving has really paid off. I can confidently say I've been on the ice roughly every other day in this past year.

Last edited by Wilch: 09-04-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old
09-04-2012, 01:00 PM
SCBruCrew4

Today I, may go to another game to play a little pick-up...hopefully!

Old
09-06-2012, 03:54 PM
itsjustsurvival
The Revisionist

I have to attend a captain's meeting for the upcoming season. My team so far only has 7 skaters and no goalie. Sigh.

Old
09-06-2012, 06:58 PM
rp2323

today I signed up for a weekly 6:30 am hockey / skating class starting tomorrow.

have had a hard time getting to the rink for stick and puck... so spending the cash and committing to a 6am class will get me out. What good is a few extra hours of sleep per week any way?

Also got assigned as a "free agent" to my first ever team this week. 1st game is on Tuesday. Wish a noob luck. keep telling myself to just work hard and put in a 100% effort and all will be good!

Good luck to all the other new players out there. Finally taking up hockey at 36 years of age this January has been a great experience and a highlight of my year. I'm sure my first game experience next week will be a great challenge and a lot of fun.

If you are sitting on the fence for any reason... jump in there and play!

Old
09-07-2012, 01:20 AM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
This isn't today, but within the past two weeks I've signed up for two leagues plus an organized pick up game. Every week. Moving and uping my income by 50 percent will do wonders for my ice time (and hopefully, eventually, my skill level).

Plus I've run into at least two posters on here at my new rink.

Old
09-07-2012, 09:33 PM
stocky

Put all my hockey gear in storage, minus my skates. Going out for one last public skate tonight

Old
09-07-2012, 10:47 PM
xX Hot Fuss
HFBoards Sponsor

Last night i had my very first Learn to Play class. It was my first time ever skating with hockey gear on, stickhandling on the ice, and skating for hockey (not for Learn to skate drills or Public skate).

I was AWFUL but it was the most fun i had in years! Here's what we did...

-Skated around the rink for a few minutes. Some people were shooting around, lots of us (myself included) was practicing puckhandling while skating around the rink

-We did skating drills. Forward strides, backwards strides, transitions, forwards crossovers & backwards crossovers while almost hopping across the ice (never done that before)

-Puckhandling and passing drills. Learned how to send and receive a pass but still working on actually doing it right

-Did a passing/shooting drill where we got in two lines. One line skates to the blueline and circles around and receives a pass from the other guy in the other line and then shoots on net. Would have been fun but i couldn't receive any passes -_-

-Then we scrimmaged! Holy hell was it fun. I learned how bad my skating really was. Granted, 90% of the guys in this beginner class were already in Men's League which was pretty weird so they were usually blowing right by me. The scrimmage was a lot of fun though. Line changes were a little sloppy. Everyone took really long shifts (myself included). I need to learn how to accept a pass in stride though. I got too many passes while standing still or in stride and it was out of my reach. Felt bad just letting it go past me or lunging at it and not even being close.

-Got my first taste of anger while playing. Going to the boards for a puck and this big dude nudged me out of the way. He didn't shove me or anything b/c its a freaking Learn to Play scrimmage but he didn't let me get the puck and i got pissed! Then i remembered that i'm playing HOCKEY and i better get used to it.

-Scored a goal! It was a 2-1 with me and one of the Instructors. He fed me a nice pass which i received. Took a horribly weak shot on the goalie but he left me a nice rebound and i jammed it in! I was so excited that i lost my balance and fell over lol. I celebrated a little bit too which i was kind of embarrassed about b/c i've heard you're not supposed to celebrate in men's league. Whatever though, it was my first goal!

God was this fun! I can't wait to go back next Thursday!

Old
09-08-2012, 06:10 AM
SCritical

Today I went to a public session for a skate with some friends. Tried to do a back crossover start and somehow missed my back foot completely and pile drove my knee into the ice skating FAIL

Old
09-08-2012, 11:13 AM
clayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocky View Post
Put all my hockey gear in storage, minus my skates. Going out for one last public skate tonight
Enjoy your skate! When do you deploy?

Old
09-08-2012, 02:53 PM
do0glas

Had my first official league game. It was preseason though.

We lost 1-0 but the captain was impressed with my positioning and defense. I setup a point blank shot and had a few SOG. Overall it was a blast and is a cake walk physically compared to drop ins. Their goal seemed like a fluke . I was covering the puck carrier and he was able to slide the puck on goal at about 1 mph and it slipped in somehow.

Can't wait for the next one! Got the itch now

Old
09-08-2012, 03:32 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Scored a top right corner goal on a 2 on 1.

Guy who passed to me comes to me and says "sick snipe dude". I said "I wasn't actually aiming there".

Old
09-08-2012, 04:58 PM
Kritter471

Got screwed over by a local rink which told me I had a place in a league, deposited my check, then didn't say a word to me for the next three weeks. When I hadn't heard from a captain by the day before the season was supposed to start, I e-mailed them and was told the league was actually "full" and they didn't have a spot for me.

I'll get a refund, but I've yet to hear an apology for jerking me around like that or for not keeping me in the loop. Because I get things happen. I really do. But this is something that should have been evident at least a week ago, and to not hear anything at all about it until I asked, not to mention having the check deposited, is ridiculously bush league.

And the problem is I really like some of the other programs and people at that rink, so I don't want to just say "Screw you very much, give me all my money and I'm never coming back." But I'm really, really temped.

I've got some serious anger to burn off, which would be perfect if I had a hockey game to play today like I was supposed to. Instead, I've got all the time I cleared for it and just an immense amount of frustration.

Old
09-08-2012, 05:09 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

You should do puckheads games - sign up for a game when you want to play, pay only for games that you play, they are a good bunch of people.

Bummer about the league. Which person dropped the ball?

Are you doing CVH tomorrow night? I'll see you there!

Old
09-08-2012, 05:12 PM
Kritter471

I assume Adam dropped the ball. He seems to be in charge of distributing players around. And I wouldn't be nearly as pissed if he'd actually apologized or let me know this was a possibility. I'm halfway convinced he wouldn't have bothered to tell me anything until I tried to show up today unless I'd e-mailed last night.

I'll definitely be at CVH (and asking around about teams in Chandler for the next season). Puckheads is on my radar, but I am still working off my moving expenses so trying to keep costs relatively reasonable, and CVH doesn't have the yearly fee while Puckheads does. But I might add Puckheads in the near future - it gets good reviews.

Old
09-08-2012, 05:16 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

You can do up to 3 Puckheads games without joining, and I believe they offer the option of playing without being an actual member - you just don't get the perks they have (you have to borrow the jerseys instead of them getting you official ones, you don't get the discount days at BTM, etc.). So I would try a game or two and see if you like it. Ray is a great guy, he runs the club very efficiently and so far everyone I've played with has been nice and helpful.

I'd invite you to my Monday night league - I think some teams are still looking for players - but Peoria might be too far for you.

Oh...and if we do get together our women's team for the CVH tournament, you're definitely invited to join us!

Old
09-08-2012, 05:29 PM
Kritter471

The one at Jobing? I would love that. And I'll e-mail Ray about trying Puckheads for a few weeks.

Peoria is like 45 minutes away from me, which is a bit much for a round trip. But I do appreciate the offer.

Old
09-08-2012, 06:56 PM
stocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayman View Post
Enjoy your skate! When do you deploy?
Week after next.

Closed Thread