HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Fan Petition in Opposition to a Potential Lockout

Old
09-02-2012, 02:38 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
I'm honestly not in favour of either side.

I'm a selfish **** and just want to watch hockey again. After many years of ****... we finally are seeing some light at the end of the tunnel when the Oilers finally should start turning the corner... and a ****ing lockout comes along.

Both sides deserve collective hard and swift kicks to the nutsacks to get their **** together and get the game going again.
This^

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 02:38 AM
Ogopogo*

vCash: 500
This site should be called "we have no clue". This kind of thing is a complete waste of time - it serves no purpose and will have no impact.

Last edited by Ogopogo*: 09-02-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 09:59 AM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4life5 View Post
I may Be in the minority but I am on the owners side. They take all the risk so they should make more. Players no matter what make there money while owners can lose millions. I understand the players are the product but the owners finance the whole deal.
Very good point. I too find myself siding with the owners. The players are playing a game of chicken they can't win. While some owners will actually take a financial hit by missing the season (Leafs, Rags, Nucks), there are way more owners who will actually benefit by not having a season (PHX, NYI and CBJ lost a combined 45mil in 2010-11 season). The players, if they're lucky, might make a third of what they would in the NHL. We're talking north of 1.5 billion in lost revenue by the players if they choose to play in Europe. Why the two parties can't agree on a 50-50 split of revenues is beyond me.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 10:11 AM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
Very good point. I too find myself siding with the owners. The players are playing a game of chicken they can't win. While some owners will actually take a financial hit by missing the season (Leafs, Rags, Nucks), there are way more owners who will actually benefit by not having a season (PHX, NYI and CBJ lost a combined 45mil in 2010-11 season). The players, if they're lucky, might make a third of what they would in the NHL. We're talking north of 1.5 billion in lost revenue by the players if they choose to play in Europe. Why the two parties can't agree on a 50-50 split of revenues is beyond me.
Good points, the owners know they can play hardball and out wait the players. Owners constantly prove you don't have to be wise to have money. They screwed up the last cba and want to make all the loopholes go away.

Unfortunately it's the hardcore fans that lose out in this battle.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 03:13 PM
vespa99

An average business pays between 15 and 30% of their gross for wages. 30 % is considered extremely high. For the players to expect almost 60% is rediculous. Even if you look at the entertainment business, movies etc, 60% is still insane. Frankly if I was the owners I would hardball them once and for all and shoot for a 40% hard cap. Even that is high.
If the players want to claim "they are the business" let them keep the 57% but start paying some of the expenses for "their business". Travel, food, hotels, equipment, their insurance etc.

vespa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 03:14 PM
9GWG9

What really makes me mad is they are fighting over a very big pie.

How about giving the fans back a little like a cap on ticket prices that rise or lower based on the cap or revenues. This way the average joe could take the family more than once a season.

9GWG9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 04:58 PM
NMK

What should happen is this: the first home game of the season, whenever it does happen, is boycotted by fans. Imagine an empty arena for all the home openers across the league!

We obviously want to watch hockey and fans WILL return to the game, but lets say home game revenues are approx. $1.5-2 million in HRR . We could gouge the players AND the owners for about $45-60 million dollars and show them how upset we are by this ridiculous saga.

Last edited by NMK: 09-05-2012 at 08:49 PM.
NMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 12:40 AM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 6964
There isn't one owner in the NHL who made their bones through the team's revenue.

It's a hobby for them. A toy.

For the players, it's bread and water.

Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 04:23 AM
Hairball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret99zky View Post
There isn't one owner in the NHL who made their bones through the team's revenue.

Cake and champagne.

Hairball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 10:20 AM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 6964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairball View Post
Cake and champagne.
Not if they don't get to play.

Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 01:12 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret99zky View Post

For Mike Modano - it was dog food.

Essentially because the owners don't depend on team revenue for their survival, they can easily outlast the players who depend on their wages to pay for mortgages etc.

If I was an owner, I would lockout the players for two years and break the union. Hard cap of $35 million. Max term. if players don't like it, wait another year. and another year. The reality is that an average nhl player career only lasts five seasons or so.

from http://www.quanthockey.com/Distribut...erLengthGP.php

"Over half of all NHL players play less that 100 games during their career and for approximately 5 percent of players, their first NHL game is also their last."

How would you like your career to be shortened by 20 to 40% by one or two lockout years?

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 01:46 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMK View Post
What should happen is this: the first home game of the season, whenever it does happen, is boycotted by fans. Imagine an empty arena for all the home openers across the league!

We obviously want to watch hockey and fans WILL return to the game, but lets say home game revenues are approx. $1.5-2 million in HRR . We could gouge the players AND the owners for about $45-60 dollars and show them how upset we are by this ridiculous saga.
It's a nice thought, but would never happen.

MeestaDeteta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 02:31 PM
17Kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
I'm honestly not in favour of either side.

I'm a selfish **** and just want to watch hockey again. After many years of ****... we finally are seeing some light at the end of the tunnel when the Oilers finally should start turning the corner... and a ****ing lockout comes along.

Both sides deserve collective hard and swift kicks to the nutsacks to get their **** together and get the game going again.
Agreed. I don't really have any sympathy for either side.

If I was forced to choose a side, though, it'd be the owners.

17Kurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 04:01 PM
Teddy Peckman

Send a message via MSN to Teddy Peckman
I would side with the owners. 57% is just too much, and I think everyone but the PA knows that.

Teddy Peckman is offline   Reply With Quote