HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who is considered the best two-way Kings player ever?

Old
09-02-2012, 08:00 AM
TheSlovenian

vCash: 500
Who is considered the best two-way Kings player ever?

I don't really know much about Kings history, so posting a new thread is the only logical thing to do . I was wondering, who is considered the best two-way Kings player ever? Is Kopitar (among) the best?

TheSlovenian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 12:00 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

I have a biased opinion in the handle I use here.

Tonelli
Kasper
Apps
Bourne
Bert Wilson
Widing
Sykes
Taylor

To name a few off of the top of my head.

We have had a few dandies for sure but the player who went after it in every zone as hard as he could every shift that I ever saw in a Kings uni was JT. I would say for the way the game has changed that Kopitar while an amazing player and one of the top 5 centers in Kings history imo while very very good in every zone he is still becoming a great two way player. He is up there for sure but not among the very best just yet.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 12:08 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

From the early 90s, when I started watching, Jari Kurri has to be in the discussion.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 01:53 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Came in here to say Kurri as well. Conacher was another one. I thought Smolinski's two-way play was underrated. Recently I would have to say Handzus has to be up there but in terms of overall dominance on offense and defense, nobody comes close to touching Kopitar.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 01:58 PM
KingCanadain1976

I belive you would have to add Butch Goring to this conversation. I belive he was always mentioned as one of the better two way players back in the 70s

KingCanadain1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 03:44 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Dave Taylor
Kurri

I dunno what you are talking about with Pat Conacher Ziggy. He was pretty bad when he was here...

Can't believe no one has mentioned Mike Donnelly yet. Kudelski was always a minus but he had a knack for shorties if I remember correctly. I was REALLY young when he played here.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 05:09 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Some of the guys being mentioned were good defensive forwards with some offensive skill. Since I have been a fan no one has been as dominant in all three zones and on special teams as Kopi has.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 06:02 PM
Kings4thecup

Taylor seems to be a no brainer for the discussion...

Kings4thecup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 08:05 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
Dave Taylor
Kurri

I dunno what you are talking about with Pat Conacher Ziggy. He was pretty bad when he was here...

Can't believe no one has mentioned Mike Donnelly yet. Kudelski was always a minus but he had a knack for shorties if I remember correctly. I was REALLY young when he played here.
Conacher, terrible? Wow. He was LA's go to player in defensive zone draws and actually made a contribution as a fourth line center on a line with Dave Taylor and Warren Rychel. 10 points in 24 games from your fourth line checking center, he was the only defensive minded center the Kings had (not including Kurri, who was converted to C and would continue to play C as Barry Melrose limited the ice time of Jimmy Carson and Corey Millen).

Old
09-02-2012, 08:30 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Syl Apps was significantly better in his own zone then Kurri (who was great too, can't believe I forgot him) and was such a great O threat at the same time. Phyl Sykes was a special caliber of two way player too in that he was all heart but played a really smart game. His positional play was what made him so valuable and even Fox said that he (Sykes) was among his favorite Kings.

Struggling to see what you saw in Conacher Ziggy but I guess I will have to take your word because I remember Pat as being along the same lines as Armstrong when he was here.

Old
09-03-2012, 01:46 AM
TruKingFan
Two-Time Cup Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Some of the guys being mentioned were good defensive forwards with some offensive skill. Since I have been a fan no one has been as dominant in all three zones and on special teams as Kopi has.
I couldn't agree more. And that is when he's only 24 years old.

TruKingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 01:52 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I guess I remember Conacher more fondly than others, but he left more of a lasting impression to me than Armstrong did. Not to knock on Armstrong, but Conacher was LA's go-to-center on their top checking line. In the dying moments of a game, Melrose would send Gretzky or Kurri on the ice with Conacher and Taylor.

Barry Melrose called Conacher the hardest working player on his team (I guess in that sense you can draw a comparison to Derek Armstrong). I know Conacher didn't put up Armstrong like numbers, but I really thought his line was one of the only ones on the Kings that could check and occasionally provide some production (they were a terrific line along the boards).

Although the OP asked for the best two-way player, which Conacher is far from. Kopitar is head and shoulders above everyone else in Kings history in that category, followed by Jari Kurri.

Old
09-03-2012, 01:53 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

You guys are all missing one guy that can be considered on the list, and he's on the team right now.

Kopi.

Edit: oops, sorry somebody did mention it above.

That's what you get when you post half-asleep.

09-03-2012, 02:21 AM
The VEGASKING
#1 fan

Send a message via AIM to The VEGASKING Send a message via Yahoo to The VEGASKING
I don't know how many will agree but Ziggy Palffy would have to be up there for me. Was always a point per game player despite playing with some real garbage for long stretches and was always very responsible in his own end.

The VEGASKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 10:31 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

My tops would have to be:

Goring
Taylor
Kurri

then Kopitar, who is gaining on them.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 11:37 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

My problem with listing Goring is that during the 7 seasons I watched him play ( missed his first few seasons) he wasn't all that great in his own end. He was -20 a couple of times and minus 21 the season before he was dealt. Now I know that there were mitigating factors but RBG seemed to only be focusing on O the 3 seasons prior to his being dealt.

For about 3 years I would agree that RBG was an exceptional two way player but the rest of the time not so much. He really found his game again in NY.

Old
09-03-2012, 04:41 PM
Stupid Sexy Flanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASKING View Post
I don't know how many will agree but Ziggy Palffy would have to be up there for me. Was always a point per game player despite playing with some real garbage for long stretches and was always very responsible in his own end.
I agree - was expecting more Palffy in this thread. Tons of takeaways.

Stupid Sexy Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 07:07 PM
Jebus
That boulder?

Damn you Frolov! Why couldn't you put it all together consistently? I would say Mike Richards has a good shot at the distinction.

Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 11:00 PM
apadilla

i remember Bert Wilson from the 70's, he was a hard working 3rd/4th liner, he was fun to watch,

apadilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 11:15 PM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

Bryan Smolinski was pretty good.

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 03:54 AM
jonrazor12
Palffy for President

Dave Taylor. Ainec as of right now.

Kopitar and Richards might be in the discussion when their careers are over.

Other notables include Dionne, Palffy, Frolov, Stumpel, Conroy, Deadmarsh, Simmer, Granato, Khristich

jonrazor12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 01:13 PM
SLang

The one who helped lead them to a Stanley Cup.

Sorry, but that one trait trumps them all, IMO.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 01:49 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Taylor was the name that immediately came to mind after that I'd probably have Kopitar if he continues as he did this past year.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 02:46 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I guess I remember Conacher more fondly than others, but he left more of a lasting impression to me than Armstrong did. Not to knock on Armstrong, but Conacher was LA's go-to-center on their top checking line. In the dying moments of a game, Melrose would send Gretzky or Kurri on the ice with Conacher and Taylor.

Barry Melrose called Conacher the hardest working player on his team (I guess in that sense you can draw a comparison to Derek Armstrong). I know Conacher didn't put up Armstrong like numbers, but I really thought his line was one of the only ones on the Kings that could check and occasionally provide some production (they were a terrific line along the boards).

Although the OP asked for the best two-way player, which Conacher is far from. Kopitar is head and shoulders above everyone else in Kings history in that category, followed by Jari Kurri.
Conachar was a great checking-line forward, I agree Ziggy. That said, as you pointed out, that's different than a two-way player, hence why to me, and seemingly most people, Conachar isn't part of this discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
My tops would have to be:

Goring
Taylor
Kurri

then Kopitar, who is gaining on them.
I'll leave Goring to our older fans, as I didn't see him play as a King and barely remember him as an Islander either. As for the other, I agree. Taylor was to the Triple Crown line what Kurri was to any line he and gretzky were on. Kurri was a great offensive player, but he was very defensively responsible as well. That part of his game was always way underrated because he was to busy putting up gaudy goal totals with Wayne.

Just due to longevity, my vote would go to Dave Taylor. In the future though, it wouldn't surprise me to see Mike Richards or Anze Kopitar taking that crown though.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 03:21 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Since the OP said "best" I will have to say Wayne Gretzky.

If we're talking second best or most underrated, that has to go to Jari Kurri.

I don't see any current King chasing down either.

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote