HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Lets play hockey - Win/Win for everyone

View Poll Results: Is a soft cap a way to solve the contract stalemate?
Yes 10 41.67%
No 14 58.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-03-2012, 09:06 AM
jdsrangers

vCash: 500
Lets play hockey - Win/Win for everyone

This lockout is all about the owners. Rich teams vs Poor teams!

The rich owners will sit back and let the small markets teams speak thru Bettman. If the poorer teams plan works the richer teams just make more $$$!

I have a very simple solution. Are you ready....

50%/50% revenue split. Based off additional or a decrease in revenue numbers will be adjusted.

Make an initial soft salary cap of $60mm.

Have a revenue penalty tax for money over the cap of 100%. Example if the Rangers team payroll is $70mm they would pay a $10mm tax to the NHL.

Next step - a Win/Win for both sides....split all the penalty tax 50%/50% for the teams that need money to survive and to the NHL PA for medical benefits & pensions for retired players!

If they can agree on my play the rest will be easy!!

Your thoughts on my solution!

jdsrangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 09:32 AM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

why didn't Fehr think of this...

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 09:33 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsrangers View Post
This lockout is all about the owners. Rich teams vs Poor teams!

The rich owners will sit back and let the small markets teams speak thru Bettman. If the poorer teams plan works the richer teams just make more $$$!

I have a very simple solution. Are you ready....

50%/50% revenue split. Based off additional or a decrease in revenue numbers will be adjusted.

Make an initial soft salary cap of $60mm.

Have a revenue penalty tax for money over the cap of 100%. Example if the Rangers team payroll is $70mm they would pay a $10mm tax to the NHL.

Next step - a Win/Win for both sides....split all the penalty tax 50%/50% for the teams that need money to survive and to the NHL PA for medical benefits & pensions for retired players!

If they can agree on my play the rest will be easy!!

Your thoughts on my solution!
Or just get rid of small teams in bad markets that lose hordes of cash? This is like keeping bad employees at work just because you don't want to go through the hassle of firing them. IF something loses money or does a poor job it should be cut loose. End of story.

Relocate 1-2 teams, and eliminate 3-4. FLA, CLB, PHX, NJD to start.

09-03-2012, 09:43 AM
jdsrangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvincentYvalentineR View Post
Or just get rid of small teams in bad markets that lose hordes of cash? This is like keeping bad employees at work just because you don't want to go through the hassle of firing them. IF something loses money or does a poor job it should be cut loose. End of story.

Relocate 1-2 teams, and eliminate 3-4. FLA, CLB, PHX, NJD to start.
Come on - they are not going to get rid of teams. The NHL PA would have hundreds of players out of work. It won't happen!! Moving teams is not the solution.

Why do you think you have not heard one word from the successful NHL teams. They won't speak up because they will earn more money if the Bettman has his way.

50%/50% is the only way to go with a soft cap! If we don't have a soft cap the teams will be gutted like the Blackhawks were. Owners can't help themselves they will take advantage of a hard cap.

Old
09-03-2012, 09:52 AM
jdsrangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeaveHo94 View Post
why didn't Fehr think of this...
Fehr wants to prove he is the greatest union head....fixed baseball & hockey.

Think about it a soft cap will help keep salaries up which is his main goal.

It also is a win/win/win for the small market teams, the FANS & the retired/injured players!

50%/50% revenue with a solf cap would end this strike or at least give them a system to work off of!!

Old
09-03-2012, 09:58 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

The revenue is already split 50-50, in fact even more favorably to the owners.

The cap is 57%. The floor is 43%. The midpoint here should be 50%, meaning a 50-50 split.

In fact, the medium team spend below that: 48%.

The league's argument that the cap should be 50% to make an even split is based on the ridiculous belief that all teams will maximize their cap.

But the reality is that a 50% cap will mean that no more than 40-43% will go to the players.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 10:02 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
Come on - they are not going to get rid of teams. The NHL PA would have hundreds of players out of work. It won't happen!! Moving teams is not the solution.

Why do you think you have not heard one word from the successful NHL teams. They won't speak up because they will earn more money if the Bettman has his way.

50%/50% is the only way to go with a soft cap! If we don't have a soft cap the teams will be gutted like the Blackhawks were. Owners can't help themselves they will take advantage of a hard cap.
Thats how it is. It is unfortunate but contracting teams would mean a better on ice product. Moving/contracting teams is exactly the solution. It is basic business at its finest, unfortunately some people are more concerned with hurt feelings and keeping every one happy then what is best for the sport and the rest of the league.

This idea is like saying that if you had 4 bad sales employees out of 30, instead of firing them, they will get a % of the better employees sales revenue. Its utterly ridiculous, then again only ridiculousness comes from unions. Teams need to go. Not many, but a few do need to go. The NHL will be healthier financially and have an better on ice product.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 10:02 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
Fehr wants to prove he is the greatest union head....fixed baseball & hockey.

Think about it a soft cap will help keep salaries up which is his main goal.

It also is a win/win/win for the small market teams, the FANS & the retired/injured players!

50%/50% revenue with a solf cap would end this strike or at least give them a system to work off of!!
I think he was being sarcastic... not 100% sure though.

Old
09-03-2012, 10:15 AM
jdsrangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
The revenue is already split 50-50, in fact even more favorably to the owners.

The cap is 57%. The floor is 43%. The midpoint here should be 50%, meaning a 50-50 split.

In fact, the medium team spend below that: 48%.

The league's argument that the cap should be 50% to make an even split is based on the ridiculous belief that all teams will maximize their cap.

But the reality is that a 50% cap will mean that no more than 40-43% will go to the players.

I don't disagree with you BUT we need to start to move forward. The small markets blindly see a 57% revenue share to the players. The large market owners are dishing out long team contacts & know they will make more money if the Bettman plan gets accepted!!

The players don't want to give anything back to the owners. A soft cap will keep salaries up & make both sides feel they won!

Old
09-03-2012, 10:20 AM
jdsrangers

Quote:
Thats how it is. It is unfortunate but contracting teams would mean a better on ice product. Moving/contracting teams is exactly the solution. It is basic business at its finest, unfortunately some people are more concerned with hurt feelings and keeping every one happy then what is best for the sport and the rest of the league.

This idea is like saying that if you had 4 bad sales employees out of 30, instead of firing them, they will get a % of the better employees sales revenue. Its utterly ridiculous, then again only ridiculousness comes from unions. Teams need to go. Not many, but a few do need to go. The NHL will be healthier financially and have an better on ice product.
I agree that the NHL should contract BUT now is not the time to explore it. We need a solution today - a study should be done & over time make changes.

Longterm goal - contraction - short term - let's play hockey!

Old
09-03-2012, 10:27 AM
RangerBlues

jdsrangers. The penalty can not just be money. Do you think Dolan cares about 10 million, 20 million, 30? Losing draft picks is worse than money.

RangerBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 10:29 AM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Some good ideas here. But Vincent is right. Some teams have to go. They are losing the NHL billion because they can't pay for themselves. Its like renting a hme or apartment, and having no money to pay for it, and asking the landlord for a loan.

Silence Of The Plams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 10:37 AM
jdsrangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBlues View Post
jdsrangers. The penalty can not just be money. Do you think Dolan cares about 10 million, 20 million, 30? Losing draft picks is worse than money.
Right now Dolan is making a ton of $$$. I have been a season ticket holder since 1980. Since the last lockout ( lost season) my ticket prices went from $50 to $125. I am not talking about a limitless soft cap ($10MM - to start).

Do you want a team to build with young players & have to trade them because you can't fit them under the cap. ASK BLACKHAWK FANS - the current agreement gutted a really good young team. Without a soft cap it will cause more problems in the future.

Can you please put a CAP on the price of season tickets? I had to start paying in April & Dolan already has my money!!!

Old
09-03-2012, 10:41 AM
jdsrangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
Some good ideas here. But Vincent is right. Some teams have to go. They are losing the NHL billion because they can't pay for themselves. Its like renting a hme or apartment, and having no money to pay for it, and asking the landlord for a loan.
Contraction is a fight for another Day. If you think that owners will say I will fold my team to help the NHL you are dreaming!

As I say to all the Islander fans - if Wang put a winning competitive team on the ice they would be making money!

Old
09-03-2012, 10:45 AM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Contraction is a fight for another Day. If you think that owners will say I will fold my team to help the NHL you are dreaming!

As I say to all the Islander fans - if Wang put a winning competitive team on the ice they would be making money!
I suppose you're right...but you know what I mean. Ugh. This crap sucks. Just get something done, I don't give a **** what it is. I want hockey

Silence Of The Plams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 10:53 AM
RangerBlues

Quote:
Right now Dolan is making a ton of $$$. I have been a season ticket holder since 1980. Since the last lockout ( lost season) my ticket prices went from $50 to $125. I am not talking about a limitless soft cap ($10MM - to start).

Do you want a team to build with young players & have to trade them because you can't fit them under the cap. ASK BLACKHAWK FANS - the current agreement gutted a really good young team. Without a soft cap it will cause more problems in the future.

Can you please put a CAP on the price of season tickets? I had to start paying in April & Dolan already has my money!!!
The Blackhawks lost all those players due to a horrific administrative mistake not the system.

RangerBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 11:01 AM
jdsrangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBlues View Post
The Blackhawks lost all those players due to a horrific administrative mistake not the system.
I agree up to a point. If you remember a the made sure to put the dagger in the heart of the Hawks by signing a player to an offer sheet knowing the Hawks would have to match and trade/gut the team. If there was a soft cap this wouldn't have happened!

Old
09-03-2012, 11:40 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:

What do you expect on your ticket prices? The cap has almost doubled and you have to factor in inflation.

Old
09-03-2012, 01:17 PM
jdsrangers

Quote:
What do you expect on your ticket prices? The cap has almost doubled and you have to factor in inflation.
You are 100% correct! But prior to the lost season the Rangers had the highest payroll in hockey & still made boat loads of money!!!

Old
09-03-2012, 05:16 PM
BOXPLAY

Send a message via AIM to BOXPLAY
you cant just get rid of teams if you get rid of the teams that are losing money you are going to be left with 17 teams. Thats not what we want

BOXPLAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 05:58 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOXPLAY View Post
you cant just get rid of teams if you get rid of the teams that are losing money you are going to be left with 17 teams. Thats not what we want

That's what I want. I'm sick of this musical chairs of franchises and pandering to the lowest caliber of network TV fan to "grow the game".

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 06:42 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
That's what I want. I'm sick of this musical chairs of franchises and pandering to the lowest caliber of network TV fan to "grow the game".
Do you like watching hockey on national television? Do you like 82 games and a season that last 9 months?

Because contracting the league by that much will take a serious toll on a lot of the little things you're not thinking about.

If you contact the NHL by 6,9,13 teams, whatever. Dont expect hockey to hold onto the already slippery position of America's 4th most popular pro sport.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 07:31 PM
Dactyl

bettman would never accept loosening the cap

Dactyl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 07:43 PM
CM PUNK

the problem with a soft cap or revenue sharing, while they are likely the 'right' answers is that bettman got the rich teams to go along with his plan cause he promised them that it wouldn't cost them anything and the players would take all the hit...if bettman starts talking soft cap/revenue sharing he risks losing those big market owners and getting a split on his own side.

CM PUNK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 07:46 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
You are 100% correct! But prior to the lost season the Rangers had the highest payroll in hockey & still made boat loads of money!!!
Its a business. Again, what do you expect? You make it seem like there is a "fair" amount of profit they should make and no more. That is the beauty of a (somewhat) free market, you don't have to pay the ticket prices.

Overall I fail to see why this is a problem? Many forget here that at the end of the day the Rangers are still a business. Nothing more, nothing less. Dolan owns the Rangers to make money. That is his chief goal in the matter.