HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Possible Line Combos

Old
08-30-2012, 06:57 PM
Roadman
Moving On

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangleDman View Post
Umberger-Brassard-Atkinson
Prospal-Dubinsky-Anisimov
Foligno-Letestu-Dorsett
Calvert-Johansen-Boll

MacKenzie, Gillies

Johnson-Wisnieski
Nikitin-Tyutin
Murray-Moore

Aucoin

Bobrovski
Mason

Erixon, Savard, Kubalik
Don't see Johansen on the fourth line. If he can't make the top three, assuming they split time fairly equally with no 1 line and no checking line, then he needs to play in SPR.

Don't mind Foligno on the third, again with above stipulation, but gotta think he's going to slot better with Anisimov or Brassard. Or put Prospal on one wing Foligno on the other Joey in the pivot.

If we are rolling three equal type hustle lines, DD plays on the fourth.

Calvert is probably a year away but could surprise.

Posted these earlier in the thread with my reasons.

Umberger- Brassard- Foligno
Dubinsky- Anisimov- Atkinson
Prospal- Johansen- Letestu
(Interchangeable order not important depending on matchups)

Gilles/Boll/XXX- DMac- Dorsett

Last edited by Roadman: 08-30-2012 at 07:06 PM.
Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 09:17 PM
JMFJcbj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
Don't see Johansen on the fourth line. If he can't make the top three, assuming they split time fairly equally with no 1 line and no checking line, then he needs to play in SPR.

Don't mind Foligno on the third, again with above stipulation, but gotta think he's going to slot better with Anisimov or Brassard. Or put Prospal on one wing Foligno on the other Joey in the pivot.

If we are rolling three equal type hustle lines, DD plays on the fourth.

Calvert is probably a year away but could surprise.

Posted these earlier in the thread with my reasons.

Umberger- Brassard- Foligno
Dubinsky- Anisimov- Atkinson
Prospal- Johansen- Letestu
(Interchangeable order not important depending on matchups)

Gilles/Boll/XXX- DMac- Dorsett
Dorsett is better than Letestu

JMFJcbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 07:42 AM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFJcbj View Post
Why?

candyman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 08:21 AM
stevo61

I'm liking Roadman's lineup except i think at times i would switch Foligno and Atkinson. Plus i think i would give Kubalik a go at the 4th line LW (unless Boll plays the way i think he can finally)

stevo61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 08:34 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Not on a scoring line.

09-01-2012, 02:20 PM
FlaggerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Not on a scoring line.
Agreed. Letestu is a better scorer and always will be. But Dorsett is a better defender who never quits. Dorsett gets my third line vote.

FlaggerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 04:02 PM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaggerX View Post
Agreed. Letestu is a better scorer and always will be. But Dorsett is a better defender who never quits. Dorsett gets my third line vote.
But the third line presented is quite clearly a scoring line

Old
09-01-2012, 05:09 PM
Roadman
Moving On

The roster as presently configured doesn't have a real top line and without that top scoring threat the best hope is to send out three decent 2nd lines. We have the personell to do that. That would obviously preclude a classic checking third line. So roll the three balanced lines and figure what you lose in scoring by not having that top line you gain in production from your third being an attacking rather a checking line. You can now split the ice time evenly, matching them up as necessary and if one line gets hot you can roll them extra shifts. No one line bears the burden and spreading the time can keep the legs fresher both in any given game as well as over the course of the season.

Old
09-02-2012, 09:51 AM
JMFJcbj

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman82 View Post
But the third line presented is quite clearly a scoring line
Dorsett clearly won't play on the 4th line... especially over Letestu

JMFJcbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 10:19 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
If there anything for certain...

It's that NOTHING is clear

Old
09-02-2012, 06:11 PM
candyman82

Quote:
Why wouldn't he?

Old
09-02-2012, 07:00 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Why not? He's defensively versatile, he brings the madcap mayhem, and he can contribute goals. I don't see the 4th line having as little ice time as most 4th lines in the NHL get given the state of our top-end forwards (I think we may end up looking at something like 16-16-15-13 or something equally balanced-ish), so he'd be really valuable there.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 08:22 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

I'll stay out of the debate, but I will list my (likely) opening night roster ... including right wings:

LW Foligno C Brassard RW Atkinson
LW Umberger C Anisimov RW Dubinsky (yes, he can play RW ... also, Prospal might be a good fit here)
LW Prospal C Johansen RW Letestu
LW Boll C MacKenzie RW Dorsett
F Gillies

D Johnson D Wisniewski
D Tyutin D Nikitin
D Murray D Aucoin
D Erixon

G Bobrovsky
G Mason

I'll explain: Just because a guy doesn't typically play RW, or is left handed, doesn't mean he can't do it - as it is generally the easiest forward position to play (centers are responsible for the third forward in the D zone, the left wing is typically the high man in the offensive zone). I play hockey, trust me, RW is cake compared to, say, center. Also, I don't see any other forwards having the capability to crack our lineup this year. A guy like Kubalik missed a good part of the year due to injury, and JAM is not only a second year pro, but is brand new to the franchise and still needs quite a bit or work. As for the D, someone mentioned that AA is here to mentor Ryan Murray, and I think that's spot on. The team expects him to make the team, which is why he's still training with the Blue Jackets and not in Everett preparing to spend the lockout there.

I'll be glad to put together my best guess at an AHL roster to further define my point. I definitely think that we're lacking on the right side, however I think that the bigger concern should be in goal.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 10:37 PM
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
LW Umberger C Anisimov RW Dubinsky (yes, he can play RW ... also, Prospal might be a good fit here)
F Gillies

D Johnson D Wisniewski
D Tyutin D Nikitin
D Murray D Aucoin
D Erixon

G Bobrovsky
G Mason
I love these lines. I feel like Dorsett has the versatility to jump into any wing position in case of injury and still have a pretty solid line. I do feel that your first line is the riskiest/ least likely combo. Umby, Anisimov, and Dubinsky just seems like a devastatingly large and tough line to play against.

Mingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 11:35 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

IMO Dorsett is ideal fthe ourth line player. Yes, I know, his stats in the last season... but... did Boll have better stats if he got so many chances like Dorsett? If we want to be PO team, Dorsett cannot be our the third line player.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 03:23 AM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
IMO Dorsett is ideal fthe ourth line player. Yes, I know, his stats in the last season... but... did Boll have better stats if he got so many chances like Dorsett? If we want to be PO team, Dorsett cannot be our the third line player.
What do you mean? Boll has had plenty of chances to do what Dorsett does, and he either fails or gets hurt for long periods of time.

CBJBrassard16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 05:48 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
I'll stay out of the debate, but I will list my (likely) opening night roster ... including right wings:

F Gillies

D Johnson D Wisniewski
D Tyutin D Nikitin
D Murray D Aucoin
D Erixon

G Bobrovsky
G Mason

I prefer Atkinson with Dubibsky and Anisimov, he is the least defensively experienced of the top nine so put him with what should be the best defensive pair of forwards. Plus I like having Dubinsky on the ice with Cam in case opponents decide to take advantage, especially if he starts to light it up. That also gives Brass two hard nosed types that can also shoot. It also gives you two pairs that have some time together, RJ/Brass & Bubinsky/Anisimov. Love flanking Joey with Prospal and Lestestu, should be a great learning experience and it could be an excellent scoring line.

Umberger Brassard Foligno
Dubinsky Anisimov Atkinson
Prospal Johansen Letestu
Boll/Gilles/xxx DMac DD

Hey it's all just a guess, and that's what camp is for. Assuming there is a camp. Short of going to NY and beating some heads together, what else have we got???

Last edited by Roadman: 09-03-2012 at 06:07 AM.
Old
09-03-2012, 07:32 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
F Gillies

D Johnson D Wisniewski
D Tyutin D Nikitin
D Murray D Aucoin
D Erixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
RJU-Brass-Dubi
Foligno-AA-Cam
Vinny-Letestu-Dorse
Gillies-DMac-Johan
Quoting myself from six sweeks ago to see how these match up with SL's, which I kinda liked. Close but not as close as I thought. Still prefer these.

Atkinson on a top line? I know, I know - CBJ is rolling four lines, baby! Still, playing him alongside two bigger guys, plus they get the benefit of his wheels.

I like playing Dubi wuith Brass for the flexibility in the FO circle. And I'm not as gung-ho to play AA and Dubi together, sure it seems like a logical starting point but I don't see why it hasa to be the slam-dunk it seems many think it is.

Putting Johan on the fourth line doesn't have to be an always-and-forever thing. Certain matchups, even within a game, could make sense for him at center, but I believe my 3-4 are better balanced.

I didn't do d pairs in my earlier post, but if you swp Moore in for Murray, mine would match SL's.

Last edited by Double-Shift Lassé: 09-03-2012 at 07:39 AM.
Double-Shift Lassé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 09:20 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:

F Gillies

D Johnson D Wisniewski
D Tyutin D Nikitin
D Murray D Aucoin
D Erixon

G Bobrovsky
G Mason
I honestly prefer Prospal as RW simply because that way we can have two lines with Redi-Made Chemistry(tm) - the CUB line (Umby-Brass-Atkinson) and what I've taken to calling the Chuck Norris Line (Dubi-AAn-Prospal). That leaves Foligno and Letestu to line up with Johansen.

Also, I really want to see Calvert on the fourth line with DMac and DD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
Honestly, no. Boll's done far worse with similar chances. DD earned what he got and did pretty well at it.

...and yeah, I wish that wasn't so, but it is.

I do consider Dorsett ideal for our fourth line... but that's because I think he can damn near carry it. Boll, OTOH, I have stapled to the bench as an injury fill-in. Likewise with Gillies becuase I like his forechecking and I can't stand his everything else.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 09:58 AM
CBJ Tiffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
Atkinson on a top line? I know, I know - CBJ is rolling four lines, baby! Still, playing him alongside two bigger guys, plus they get the benefit of his wheels.
Is it possible to play him alongside two SMALLER guys?

CBJ Tiffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 10:11 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJ Tiffin View Post
Is it possible to play him alongside two SMALLER guys?
Nope:

Cam 5'7". 172

But close (taller, lighter)

Tynan 5'8" 165
JAM 5'9" 163

Old
09-03-2012, 10:45 AM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:

F Gillies

D Johnson D Wisniewski
D Tyutin D Nikitin
D Murray D Aucoin
D Erixon

G Bobrovsky
G Mason

I'll explain: Just because a guy doesn't typically play RW, or is left handed, doesn't mean he can't do it - as it is generally the easiest forward position to play (centers are responsible for the third forward in the D zone, the left wing is typically the high man in the offensive zone). I play hockey, trust me, RW is cake compared to, say, center. Also, I don't see any other forwards having the capability to crack our lineup this year. A guy like Kubalik missed a good part of the year due to injury, and JAM is not only a second year pro, but is brand new to the franchise and still needs quite a bit or work. As for the D, someone mentioned that AA is here to mentor Ryan Murray, and I think that's spot on. The team expects him to make the team, which is why he's still training with the Blue Jackets and not in Everett preparing to spend the lockout there.

I'll be glad to put together my best guess at an AHL roster to further define my point. I definitely think that we're lacking on the right side, however I think that the bigger concern should be in goal.
I like it. I think most can agree that those are the guys we expect to fill out the top nine, and I'm sure that among those nine guys we'll see all of the combinations that we've come up with at some point in the year.

The thing about our roster is it seems like we have a full first line's amount of talent among nine guys instead of three. So sometimes the other team will flat out destroy us on a matchup, but then we'll have two more lines that are nearly identical in terms of scoring ability and compete level to match up against their weaker guys. And then we whip out the 4th line with Mac and Dorse plus whoever (Boll, Gillies, Russell, Calvert) to grind them down. A very interesting roster to be sure.

Also, and I'm not singling you out SL (I've been doing it until I just thought about it), I think Letestu is becoming an afterthought. He was given a top six role under Richards and he went on a pretty good scoring pace. I'll have to re-check how well he was doing, but I wouldn't be surprised at all for him to make his way onto the top two lines on a regular basis.

edit: Mark had 6 goals and 8 assists in the 26 games he played under Richards, which extrapolates to about 44 points over 82 games. Ok, so maybe not ideal for a top six role, but I'd be pleased if we could turn a 4th round pick into reliable secondary scoring from a guy who has solid but unspectacular instincts away from the puck.

Last edited by Ludicrous Speed: 09-03-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 10:53 AM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
I like it. I think most can agree that those are the guys we expect to fill out the top nine, and I'm sure that among those nine guys we'll see all of the combinations that we've come up with at some point in the year.

The thing about our roster is it seems like we have a full first line's amount of talent among nine guys instead of three. So sometimes the other team will flat out destroy us on a matchup, but then we'll have two more lines that are nearly identical in terms of scoring ability and compete level to match up against their weaker guys. And then we whip out the 4th line with Mac and Dorse plus whoever (Boll, Gillies, Russell, Calvert) to grind them down. A very interesting roster to be sure.

Also, and I'm not singling you out SL (I've been doing it until I just thought about it), I think Letestu is becoming an afterthought. He was given a top six role under Richards and he went on a pretty good scoring pace. I'll have to re-check how well he was doing, but I wouldn't be surprised at all for him to make his way onto the top two lines on a regular basis.
I like Letestu a lot, and I agree with you - however, unless Atkinson shows regression early on, who does he knock out of the top-6 for a spot?

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 11:04 AM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
I like Letestu a lot, and I agree with you - however, unless Atkinson shows regression early on, who does he knock out of the top-6 for a spot?
Just edited my post – I'm not sure if Letestu is right for a top six role, however, to further balance out the lines and add depth I could see him being the go-to guy to fill out a "top 7" if you will. Johansen could be the same though, the whole roster is a mystery.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 11:51 AM
LetsGOJackets!!

Excellent post

Quote:

F Gillies

D Johnson D Wisniewski
D Tyutin D Nikitin
D Murray D Aucoin
D Erixon

G Bobrovsky
G Mason

I think this lineup is pretty close to the product you see on ice

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote