*OFFICIAL* Victoria Royals 2012-13 Season Thread

Old
08-26-2012, 02:56 AM
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
He was a force last year. I expect nothing but great things from him this year.

The WHL needs to find a way to get another team on the Island. I feel for some teams having to make the trip over here for the one shot. Especially the teams coming from Sask East.
Even if we got another team on the island, it's not like we could play them 8 times a season, travel would still be about the same for all teams around the league.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"Everybody says be a good loser; I think if you're a good loser, you're a loser. " - John Tortorella
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 10:33 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

vCash: 500
Quote:
He was a force last year. I expect nothing but great things from him this year.

The WHL needs to find a way to get another team on the Island. I feel for some teams having to make the trip over here for the one shot. Especially the teams coming from Sask East.
It would be nice but it's a pipe dream.

Nanamio is still under 100k in population and the surrounding population under 1 1/2 hours is still under 200k and really how many people would travel that far for a game?

I can see it in maybe 20 years or so but it would need alot of things to go right IMO.

Also the Frank Crane arena in Nanaimo only holds 3000 people, is that big enough to make a go of it?

Last edited by Hardyvan123: 08-26-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 04:35 PM
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
It would be nice but it's a pipe dream.

Nanamio is still under 100k in population and the surrounding population under 1 1/2 hours is still under 200k and really how many people would travel that far for a game?

I can see it in maybe 20 years or so but it would need alot of things to go right IMO.

Also the Frank Crane arena in Nanaimo only holds 3000 people, is that big enough to make a go of it?
I think you need to hold at least 4.5K - 5K to be a legitimate WHL arena.

Old
08-28-2012, 12:52 AM
Jamie Benn
NHL Draft Enthusiast

Here's The Rosters for Main Camp

Jamie Benn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 01:32 AM
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder

Tried to get a couple questions in with Markus Daly VIA Facebook, but so far haven't got a reply.

Old
08-30-2012, 12:36 AM
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder

Victoria Royals Intra-Squad Game Results
Team White - 5
#PositionNameYOBGoalsAssistsPoints
2DBrodie Clowes95000
3DKolton Dixon95022
4DJordan Fransoo93011
5DMark Nerland96000
6CSteven Hodges94011
7DJesse Zgraggen93011
8CBrendon Benson96000
9FSean Davies95000
10LWMitch Deacon93213
11CLogan Fisher95000
12LWKaiden Jones96000
13LWTaro Hirose96112
14CLogan Nelson93101
15RWClay Tait96101
16RWTim Traber93000
17RWBen Walker93011
18RWDakota Conroy94011
?DJack Walker96000
#NameYOBGA
50Michael Herringer960
51Jared Rathjen942

Team Black - 2
#PositionNameYOBGoalsAssistsPoints
2DBrett Cote94011
3DRyan Gagnon96000
4DJoe Hicketts96000
5DKeegan Kanzig95000
6DKade Pilton94101
7DChazz Reddekopp97000
8RWMichael Bell96000
9LWMatthew Campese97000
10RWAustin Carroll94011
11LWTaylor Crunk95000
12FBrandon Fushimi96112
13FReid Halabi95000
14RWLuke Harrison95000
15LWZane Jones94000
16CRegan Nagy97000
17CTyler Soy97011
18LWJustin Spagrud95000
19CClay Spencer95000
#NameYOBGA
47Evan Smith974
48Coleman Vollrath951

Notables:
White:
Ben Walker - Really improved his work with the puck and is able to use it at full speed.

Steven Hodges - Looked very solid, passing the puck well.

Jordan Fransoo - Really improved his shot, looks a lot more offensive this year.

Mitch Deacon - With 3 points in the game, Mitch played very well all-around. He has a big frame at 6'4 and isn't afraid to throw his weight around either. Coming out of the AJHL, Mitch looks like he could take Soudek's spot in the line-up next year.

Black:
Joe Hicketts - Very explosive, quick feet along with a good breakout pass. His slapshot is also very deadly. His defensive play isn't great, but he paired up well with Brett Cote. I'm expecting Joe to be our 5th/6th man this year.

Brandon Fushimi - Easily the best forward coming out of Rookie Camp, Brandon seems mature for his age. His speed, hands, and overall finish stood out to me. Brandon also has a fairly big frame, so he didn't get knocked around as much. Brandon is contending with Mitch Deacon for that 1 starting line-up spot on the team this year. I could see Brandon also being our 13th forward.

Tyler Soy - Made a great play and showed great patience to pick up an assist on the Kade Pilton goal, but didn't really do much besides that. Got rocked quite a few times, most notably by Logan Nelson early in the game. Tyler always seems in danger of getting crushed and seems scared at times. Hopefully another year of development will give Tyler some more size and confidence.

Coleman Vollrath - Very agile and his post-to-post coverage is top notch, reminds me of Patrik Bartosak from the Red Deer Rebels. Made a huge breakaway stop on Logan Nelson late in the game. In my opinion he was the best goalie tonight.

Last edited by Royal Canuck: 08-30-2012 at 12:47 AM.
Old
08-31-2012, 04:17 PM
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder

Even though we lost 4-2 to Kamloops, they had the majority of their full squad for this year and our average age of our team was 15.5 years of age. Tyler Soy picked up 2 nice goals and I'm impressed by his play. Watch for yourselves.

http://www.whl.ca/video/index/id/1346390089

Old
08-31-2012, 08:43 PM
Jamie Benn
NHL Draft Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Wiggum View Post
Even though we lost 4-2 to Kamloops, they had the majority of their full squad for this year and our average age of our team was 15.5 years of age. Tyler Soy picked up 2 nice goals and I'm impressed by his play. Watch for yourselves.

http://www.whl.ca/video/index/id/1346390089
Polivka is looking great out there.

Old
09-01-2012, 12:54 AM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Downed 5-3 vs Kamloops. Clay Spencer with two goals.

Rathjen was in net for most of it. I'm looking forward to seeing what Volrath can do. He looked strong in the period and a half of intrasquad action. Very busy feet, and he looks athletic, and more reactionary than a guy like Rathjen.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 04:34 AM
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder

Quote:
Downed 5-3 vs Kamloops. Clay Spencer with two goals.

Rathjen was in net for most of it. I'm looking forward to seeing what Volrath can do. He looked strong in the period and a half of intrasquad action. Very busy feet, and he looks athletic, and more reactionary than a guy like Rathjen.
I've still yet to see Polivka play, but he's still my pick for the back-up from what I know about him (plus stopping 21 of 22 against the Blazers the other night). For me, I'd rather see Vollrath make the team over Rathjen. Coleman outplayed Jared in the intra-squad game big time, and Coleman is a year younger than Jared. So for me, happy trails Jared Rathjen.

Old
09-01-2012, 05:02 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

I'd rather Hamilton hit the road. I have no patience for a guy who can make a 5 bell save, then let in a softy from the point 2 seconds later.

Old
09-01-2012, 06:32 PM
Jamie Benn
NHL Draft Enthusiast

Quote:
I'd rather Hamilton hit the road. I have no patience for a guy who can make a 5 bell save, then let in a softy from the point 2 seconds later.
Hamilton won us games at times, he played unbelievable. We have three overage spots and I doubt that they are going to bring back Forsyth.

Old
09-02-2012, 12:27 AM
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder

Quote:
Hamilton IMO was the reason we made the playoffs last year. No, he's not an above average goalie in the WHL, but he managed to steal us a few games last year and really stood on his head at times. Remember, he didn't have much help on the back end with the likes of Zach Habscheid. Keith is our best goalie and is our solidified #1 heading into this season. I think Polivka could steal the starting spot, but he's gotta prove himself as a legitimate WHL goalie first.

Old
09-03-2012, 12:16 PM
RoyalRooter

Quote:
Hamilton IMO was the reason we made the playoffs last year. No, he's not an above average goalie in the WHL, but he managed to steal us a few games last year and really stood on his head at times. Remember, he didn't have much help on the back end with the likes of Zach Habscheid. Keith is our best goalie and is our solidified #1 heading into this season. I think Polivka could steal the starting spot, but he's gotta prove himself as a legitimate WHL goalie first.
I think Hamilton and all the players for that matter will be more comfortable this year playing under Lowry as opposed to Habscheid. Heard a lot of comments about how the players were on pins and needles and subject to a steady diet of mind games. from what I have seen and read I feel that Polivka is going to be the real deal so why use a 20 year old spot on an average goalie at best !!

RoyalRooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 02:59 PM
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookedbear View Post
I think Hamilton and all the players for that matter will be more comfortable this year playing under Lowry as opposed to Habscheid. Heard a lot of comments about how the players were on pins and needles and subject to a steady diet of mind games. from what I have seen and read I feel that Polivka is going to be the real deal so why use a 20 year old spot on an average goalie at best !!
Because we don't know if Polivka is ready to take the #1 spot yet. If we drop Hamilton and Polivka ****s the bed, we have Coleman Vollrath and Jared Rathjen as our other two goalies, we would be screwed. and we can easily replace Forsyth, I guarantee you that.

Old
09-03-2012, 04:21 PM
Jamie Benn
NHL Draft Enthusiast

Quote:
Because we don't know if Polivka is ready to take the #1 spot yet. If we drop Hamilton and Polivka ****s the bed, we have Coleman Vollrath and Jared Rathjen as our other two goalies, we would be screwed. and we can easily replace Forsyth, I guarantee you that.
Forsyth had 3 goals last year on the third line. We have plenty of forwards playing in the pre-season right now (Deacon, Fushimi, Bell) that are better then Forsyth.

The one thing about Polivka I noticed about Polivka is he may be a little streaky, we need a steady 1A/1B situation if we want to think of a playoff spot this year. Even though we will make it based on the confrence we play in. We are better then Everett (lost Murray, Simpson), Prince George (lose their #1 goalie, haven't gotten much better) and Seattle (Pickard's gone, don't get much better.)

If we want to make it past the first round, not only do we have to step up offensively, but we need our defense to get much, much better. Hamilton is a great goalie, we had an awful defense who let in the most goals in the WHL. (100-150 ahead of the next team). Rintoul's gone, Habscheid's gone. We need Kanzig and Pilton to step up big time, Fransoo, Stahl (for a whole season hopefully, he looked great end of the season), Cote (who's looked much better then last year.) and Zggragen (potential trade bait imo). As well as the addition of Hicketts and Jack Walker, both offensively minded d-man who could run the powerplay in the future. We have a chance at 6th-8th spot again this year. As well as a full year of Ben Walker, Crooks coming back. We will be better, hopefully Lowry shows potential in these guys.

My Lineup:

Crooks - B. Walker - Nelson (Best line at the playoffs, a sniper, a playmaker and a power forward)
Jones/Deacon - Hodges - Magee (Jones a grinder, Hodges a skilled playmaker and Magee a hard working skilled player)
Deacon/Jones - Crunk - Carroll (Deacon is a big kid/all around skill, could move up and down, Crunk a grinder with speed and Carroll a force)
Conroy - Harrison - Traber (Conroy a north-south player, Harrison a skilled player, needs consistency and Traber our enforcer)

Brandon Fushimi (big body, great hands), Reid Halabi (strong kid, great shot), Bell (speedy playmaker)

Kanzig - Stahl (Shutdown D-Pair)
Pilton - Fransoo (Two-Way D-Man)
Cote - Zggragen (One Offensive, other shutdown/pest)

Hicketts - Walker (Both scratches, offensive d-man with NHL potential)

Hamilton (Bonified #1)
Polivka (Excellent goalie, could take #1 job)

Old
09-03-2012, 07:22 PM
RoyalRooter

Does anybody know for sure when the date is to be down to 3 - 20 year olds ? i beleive it is middle of Oct but not 100% sure. I agree with your line up for the most part !! Not sold on Deacon though other than he adds size. Saw him play in Lloydminster Junior A last year a few times and he was less than impressive at that level !!

RoyalRooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 08:20 AM
justahockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yandle Bars View Post
Forsyth had 3 goals last year on the third line. We have plenty of forwards playing in the pre-season right now (Deacon, Fushimi, Bell) that are better then Forsyth.

The one thing about Polivka I noticed about Polivka is he may be a little streaky, we need a steady 1A/1B situation if we want to think of a playoff spot this year. Even though we will make it based on the confrence we play in. We are better then Everett (lost Murray, Simpson), Prince George (lose their #1 goalie, haven't gotten much better) and Seattle (Pickard's gone, don't get much better.)

If we want to make it past the first round, not only do we have to step up offensively, but we need our defense to get much, much better. Hamilton is a great goalie, we had an awful defense who let in the most goals in the WHL. (100-150 ahead of the next team). Rintoul's gone, Habscheid's gone. We need Kanzig and Pilton to step up big time, Fransoo, Stahl (for a whole season hopefully, he looked great end of the season), Cote (who's looked much better then last year.) and Zggragen (potential trade bait imo). As well as the addition of Hicketts and Jack Walker, both offensively minded d-man who could run the powerplay in the future. We have a chance at 6th-8th spot again this year. As well as a full year of Ben Walker, Crooks coming back. We will be better, hopefully Lowry shows potential in these guys.

My Lineup:

Crooks - B. Walker - Nelson (Best line at the playoffs, a sniper, a playmaker and a power forward)
Jones/Deacon - Hodges - Magee (Jones a grinder, Hodges a skilled playmaker and Magee a hard working skilled player)
Deacon/Jones - Crunk - Carroll (Deacon is a big kid/all around skill, could move up and down, Crunk a grinder with speed and Carroll a force)
Conroy - Harrison - Traber (Conroy a north-south player, Harrison a skilled player, needs consistency and Traber our enforcer)

Brandon Fushimi (big body, great hands), Reid Halabi (strong kid, great shot), Bell (speedy playmaker)

Kanzig - Stahl (Shutdown D-Pair)
Pilton - Fransoo (Two-Way D-Man)
Cote - Zggragen (One Offensive, other shutdown/pest)

Hicketts - Walker (Both scratches, offensive d-man with NHL potential)

Hamilton (Bonified #1)
Polivka (Excellent goalie, could take #1 job)
What happened to Clowes? Did'nt he have a spot?

justahockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 04:32 PM
Jamie Benn
NHL Draft Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by justahockeyfan View Post
What happened to Clowes? Did'nt he have a spot?
I like Clowes, but the problem is that they have way to many d-man. Clowes could play in the WHL, but most likely won't happen unless the Royals trade some guys away.

http://victoriaroyals.com/article/ro...hardson/126390

Anyways, the Royals acquire Evan Richardson from the Swift Current Broncos for Justin Spagrud and Cond. 2nd round pick.

I'd say if we sign Richardson, Deacon will be gone, Richardson is a very skilled and speedy guy, plays a lot like Hodges, but has the size of Magee. I like him a lot, and if he comes to Victoria and signs (A Boston College commit). He will be slotted on the second/third line replacing Deacon, moving Crunk on the wing.

Lineup if Richardson signs:

Crooks - Walker - Nelson
Jones - Hodges - Magee
Crunk - Richardson - Carroll
Conroy - Harrison - Traber

Old
09-05-2012, 06:28 PM
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder

Quote:

Anyways, the Royals acquire Evan Richardson from the Swift Current Broncos for Justin Spagrud and Cond. 2nd round pick.

I'd say if we sign Richardson, Deacon will be gone, Richardson is a very skilled and speedy guy, plays a lot like Hodges, but has the size of Magee. I like him a lot, and if he comes to Victoria and signs (A Boston College commit). He will be slotted on the second/third line replacing Deacon, moving Crunk on the wing.

Crooks - Walker - Nelson
Jones - Hodges - Magee
Happy with the trade, but I'm not sure how long it will be until he comes over. He could stay at Boston College for the rest of the year and come next year if he really wanted to. It just all depends on his preferences and what he feels is right for his growth and development.

Old
09-05-2012, 08:27 PM
Jamie Benn
NHL Draft Enthusiast

He isn't in Boston College, he's playing for Powell River. The thing is that he was supposed to come play in Boston College this year, but that didn't work out, which is why I am guessing he would be playing with his options to go to the WHL.

Quote:
Happy with the trade, but I'm not sure how long it will be until he comes over. He could stay at Boston College for the rest of the year and come next year if he really wanted to. It just all depends on his preferences and what he feels is right for his growth and development.

Old
09-07-2012, 12:31 AM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
We allowed more goals than any other team in the league. So no, he wasn't. He's a flashy goalie, and people get caught up in the big save. But he's not very efficient. I'd rather see them deal for someone else, or just play the kids.

Old
09-07-2012, 12:33 AM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
I like Clowes, but the problem is that they have way to many d-man. Clowes could play in the WHL, but most likely won't happen unless the Royals trade some guys away.

Crooks - Walker - Nelson
Jones - Hodges - Magee
I could swear Walker was on the wing, and Logan played center last year. Both can swap, but I'd rather have the size in the middle, to be honest.

Old
09-07-2012, 05:51 PM
Jamie Benn
NHL Draft Enthusiast

Quote:
I could swear Walker was on the wing, and Logan played center last year. Both can swap, but I'd rather have the size in the middle, to be honest.
Walker played centre, Nelson played wing.

Let's see how Polivka does. If it comes down to Hamilton and Forsyth. Give me Hamilton every day of the week. The Royals really like Polivka so I am guessing they will start him off.

Old
09-09-2012, 05:17 PM
Jamie Benn
NHL Draft Enthusiast

The more preseason games, the more and more I like Polivka.

I can now agree with LeafErikson on Hamilton.

EDIT:
Keith Hamilton ‏@KeithHamilton30

Would like to thank @victoriaroyals and all the staff for everything over the last year #classyorganization #evenclassierpeople
Expand

Looks like Polivka is the #1 goalie.

Last edited by Jamie Benn: 09-09-2012 at 05:24 PM.