HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Oil Kings Thread: 2012-2013

Closed Thread

Old
09-02-2012, 12:42 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
I completely forgot about the game. How was the fan turn out?
I didnt go. Wont go today either.

Would be interested in hearing from someone who did go though.

Old
09-02-2012, 12:45 PM
I am the Liquor

I dont see how Moroz will be top six on the Oil Kings this year.

Wruck St. Croix Foster
Legault Lazar Samuelsson
Moroz Ewanyk Wilson

I see the top nine shaking out something like this.

Moroz could swap with Legault but the Legault/Lazar/Samuelsson unit was pretty dynamic late last year. Also Legault is a smaller speedy type guy and I think a shutdown unit of Moroz/Ewanyk/Wilson would be pretty effective.

Old
09-02-2012, 02:05 PM
Delicious Pancakes

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post

Wruck St. Croix Foster
Legault Lazar Samuelsson
Moroz Ewanyk Wilson

Moroz could swap with Legault but the Legault/Lazar/Samuelsson unit was pretty dynamic late last year. Also Legault is a smaller speedy type guy and I think a shutdown unit of Moroz/Ewanyk/Wilson would be pretty effective.
I agree, but they won't keep the same lines together all year and there are injuries too. I'm guessing he splits time pretty evenly between the 2nd and 3rd line this year.

I'm curious to see who the other forwards are and what the 4th line looks like.

Old
09-02-2012, 06:11 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Why would you bet that?
Solid OHLer. Decent NHLer.

I'd assume he'd at least have a little wisdom to impart on the young defenseman.

Maybe "really help" was a bit strong.

Also, I'd like to hear about Edgars Kulda if anyone gets a chance to see him and would want to share. He seems like he might be an interesting prospect.

Old
09-02-2012, 06:30 PM
Redwood Original
El Presidente

Quote:
I didnt go. Wont go today either.

Would be interested in hearing from someone who did go though.
I went to the game last night. The turn out was poor to mediocre, maybe 500 people if I had to guess. A bunch of scouts from the other teams were coming and going but not a lot of fans.

The game wasn't really an 8-2 affair. The Broncos goalie really stood out for the first half of the game, at which point the shots were twenty something to not so many. The Oil Kings 15 year old goalie Patrick Dea let in a few soft goals early in the third and turned a close game into a laugher.

Kings only dressed 8 or 9 veterans, and many of the rookies got a lot of early burn from the coaching staff. Swift Current had 3 of their top forwards playing (Lowry, Gordon, Derko) and they caused some problems for the OK's defense on more than one occasion.

Mason Geertsen won an extemely lopsided fight, while Travis Ewanyk took it upon himself to jump (and cleanout) a Bronco (Bews?) that had been taking healthy runs at a few young defenders.

All in all, it was everything you'd expect out of an exhibition game where the rookies were the go to guys.

Old
09-02-2012, 06:32 PM
Redwood Original
El Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Solid OHLer. Decent NHLer.

I'd assume he'd at least have a little wisdom to impart on the young defenseman.

Maybe "really help" was a bit strong.

Also, I'd like to hear about Edgars Kulda if anyone gets a chance to see him and would want to share. He seems like he might be an interesting prospect.
Kulda cleaned up a rebound in tight for a goal last night, but didn't really stand out. Decent skater, decent hands, not overly big or physical. Left me wanting more to be honest, but it's early and he's in a new place. Be nice to see him with some good players.

Old
09-02-2012, 08:18 PM
I am the Liquor

Thanks TPS.

Awesome summary.

Old
09-03-2012, 04:04 PM
Delicious Pancakes

Oil Kings beat the Rebels 5-3 today. Brett Pollock and Bandon Baddock both scored. I've liked what I've heard about them and Luke Bertolucci. Bob Green said Baddock's 6'4'' 200 lbs. and has a bit of untapped offense and Bertolucci plays like Tyler Spurgeon. They're both 17. Pollock is 16, 6'1" 165 lbs. and has been having a solid camp. Throw in 17 year old import Edgars Kulda and there's some interesting players bubbling under.

Here's the Oilers press release from the game.

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|EDM|home

Old
09-03-2012, 05:55 PM
wicked username

vCash: 1977
Is Keegan Lowe the captain now? Or was that just for the game?

Old
09-03-2012, 09:03 PM
Redwood Original
El Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked username View Post
Is Keegan Lowe the captain now? Or was that just for the game?
Probably just for the game. Ewanyk was wearing the "C" on Saturday.

Rumor has it that an NHL lockout might allow Pysyk another year in the WHL.

Old
09-03-2012, 09:25 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePerfectStorm View Post
Probably just for the game. Ewanyk was wearing the "C" on Saturday.

Rumor has it that an NHL lockout might allow Pysyk another year in the WHL.
I wonder if Pelss would be able to?

It would be pure awesomeness if we could get Pysyk back. Not for him so much but for the fans.

Old
09-03-2012, 10:34 PM
MoneyGuy

If Pysyk is back due to a lockout, that'd be great but wouldn't other teams also get players back under that scenario? However, it's hard to imagine that wouldn't help us lots. I'm so looking forward to this junior season. NHL season or not, I'm a big junior fan.

Old
09-03-2012, 10:43 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Getting Pysyk back would go a long way to solidifying the backend for another run, even if all the other teams get their players back as well.

Old
09-03-2012, 11:28 PM
Joe Hallenback

No one that has signed an NHL contract who has 4+ years in the CHL will be back even if there is a lockout. Teams will send those guys to the Minors instead.

Hey I would love Mark Stone and Michael Ferland back in Brandon but I know both of those guys will have roles in the AHL with or without a lockout.

A guy like Pysyk with his pedigree will be in the minors.

You also have to remember these CHL teams only have room for 3 overage spots. You can't risk dropping guys for a few months of a player and risk losing them once the lockout stops.

Old
09-03-2012, 11:43 PM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePerfectStorm View Post
I went to the game last night. The turn out was poor to mediocre, maybe 500 people if I had to guess. A bunch of scouts from the other teams were coming and going but not a lot of fans.

The game wasn't really an 8-2 affair. The Broncos goalie really stood out for the first half of the game, at which point the shots were twenty something to not so many. The Oil Kings 15 year old goalie Patrick Dea let in a few soft goals early in the third and turned a close game into a laugher.

Kings only dressed 8 or 9 veterans, and many of the rookies got a lot of early burn from the coaching staff. Swift Current had 3 of their top forwards playing (Lowry, Gordon, Derko) and they caused some problems for the OK's defense on more than one occasion.

Mason Geertsen won an extemely lopsided fight, while Travis Ewanyk took it upon himself to jump (and cleanout) a Bronco (Bews?) that had been taking healthy runs at a few young defenders.

All in all, it was everything you'd expect out of an exhibition game where the rookies were the go to guys.
It's nice to know that we have character like that in our system.

09-04-2012, 12:12 PM
The Head Crusher

Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
No one that has signed an NHL contract who has 4+ years in the CHL will be back even if there is a lockout. Teams will send those guys to the Minors instead.

Hey I would love Mark Stone and Michael Ferland back in Brandon but I know both of those guys will have roles in the AHL with or without a lockout.

A guy like Pysyk with his pedigree will be in the minors.

You also have to remember these CHL teams only have room for 3 overage spots. You can't risk dropping guys for a few months of a player and risk losing them once the lockout stops.
Hey Joe how has Kord Pankewicz looked so far for Brandon? I taught the kid last year and was wondering if he was going to make the team this year?

09-04-2012, 02:34 PM
Joe Hallenback

Pankewicz is still with the team and will make the club. They have him at forward and he looks a little rough but so do most 16 year old rookies. Lots of skill there

One name for the future for everyone

Jesse Gabrielle. Kid was dynamite at the camp. Might have been the best player the entire camp. Had the scouts drooling. Going to play with the Topeka team in the NAHL junior league this year as a 15 year old. Youngest player ever to play in that league

Old
09-04-2012, 08:41 PM
Redwood Original
El Presidente

Quote:
I wonder if Pelss would be able to?

It would be pure awesomeness if we could get Pysyk back. Not for him so much but for the fans.
I don't think Pelss makes as much sense, considering he would occupy a 20 y/o spot, and an import spot. Maybe not the best use of roster allowances.

Old
09-04-2012, 09:00 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

They had Mitch Moroz mic'd up in the game against the rebels and apparently he had some juicy trash talk.

Old
09-04-2012, 09:47 PM
I am the Liquor

Got my tickets in the mail today. Anyone else get theirs?

Old
09-05-2012, 12:40 AM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Got my tickets in the mail today. Anyone else get theirs?
Yup. I'm actually pretty happy with the package...a "pair" of tickets for your seat, the discount card for merchandise, the little calendar with the dates and times, and the playoff tickets (all the way up through 4 rounds).

Makes me super excited for the season.

Old
09-05-2012, 04:34 PM
Sladerx

Quote:

Wruck St. Croix Foster
Legault Lazar Samuelsson
Moroz Ewanyk Wilson

I agree and I'm not worried with that, Moroz was a beast with little min last season, with him going between the 2nd and 3rd lines I think he will get over 20 goals for sure. I like the idea of Ewanyk and him playing together, 1st jr then ECHL or AHL then NHL good to have chemistry! In 5 or 6 years it would be sweet to have the Oil Kings line: Moroz Ewanyk Pelss

Old
09-05-2012, 05:03 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sladerx View Post
I agree and I'm not worried with that, Moroz was a beast with little min last season, with him going between the 2nd and 3rd lines I think he will get over 20 goals for sure. I like the idea of Ewanyk and him playing together, 1st jr then ECHL or AHL then NHL good to have chemistry! In 5 or 6 years it would be sweet to have the Oil Kings line: Moroz Ewanyk Pelss
Ewanyk and Moroz compliment each other very well. They will be able to get away with pretty much whatever they want this year for the most part. Not too many teams are going to be able to stop them. Great all purpose line.

Old
09-06-2012, 02:02 AM
puckfan13

Quote:
Ewanyk and Moroz compliment each other very well. They will be able to get away with pretty much whatever they want this year for the most part. Not too many teams are going to be able to stop them. Great all purpose line.
Don't really like your inclusion of Wilson earlier though but it might happen that way. That guy stinks up the joint every time he steps on the ice, I get a little angry when I see him step foot on the ice. Seems like he could be a much better player for his physical skills but lacks an instinct.

Old
09-06-2012, 07:35 PM
Delicious Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Don't really like your inclusion of Wilson earlier though but it might happen that way. That guy stinks up the joint every time he steps on the ice, I get a little angry when I see him step foot on the ice. Seems like he could be a much better player for his physical skills but lacks an instinct.
Wilson used to be one of the few guys who had some size, would hit and could fight. With Lazar, Samuelsson and Moroz in the top-9 and younger bigger bodies like Baddock and Pollock who might bring more offense pushing for spots Wilson might become expendable this year. I'm curious to see the personnel moves Bob Green makes this year with the team's goal being the Memorial Cup. With that in mind I wonder what the roster will look like next year?

Closed Thread