HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[Video] A Reminder of the Real Alexander Ovechkin and What "Back to Form" Should Mean

Old
09-03-2012, 05:12 AM
JetsAlternate

vCash: 500
[Video] A Reminder of the Real Alexander Ovechkin and What "Back to Form" Should Mean

Throughout his career, Alexander Ovechkin has widely been regarded as one of the NHL's greatest players. When Alex first joined the NHL, he dazzled spectators across the globe with his speedy, passionate, aggressive, powerful style of play; after only his rookie season, people were determined he was the league's next generational talent, and many ranked him first on their list of top NHL players. He earned the Calder Memorial Trophy that year, scoring 52 goals and 106 points as a rookie. He then proceeded to average 50+ goals throughout his next four seasons, peaking with a 65-goal campaign in 2007-08. Sportsnet's Scott Morrison ranked him #1 on his list of greatest modern era left wingers of all time in his 2010 CBC-commissioned book, "Best of the Best: Ranking the Greatest Players of All Time."

Since 2010, however, a vast majority of analysts have believed Ovechkin's style has changed since his early years, speculating a poor work ethic, the Washington Capitals' implementation of a defensive system, injuries, and poor fitness. Ovechkin's point production has not been the same either, and he has averaged only 35 goals in his past two seasons in contrast with the 50+ he averaged in his first five NHL seasons. Fans have hoped he would "return to form" and demonstrate consistently the abilities he still possibly possesses. Unfortunately, the Ovechkin of recent years has appeared much slower, less creative with the puck, and particularly passive offensively; other players have since usurped him as the league's very best.

I put this together because even I had forgotten just how brilliant and exciting Ovechkin used to be. It would be difficult to recognize that player based on what we've seen these past few years. He was fast and looked so driven to score.

This video should serve as a reminder to not only Caps fans, but also everyone, of the explosive speed and spectacular skill set Ovechkin once used on a nightly basis to captivate and excite his audience. The goals and plays seen highlight the very reasons why people once considered him the greatest player on the planet. While he still may have the shot, his dynamic skating abilities and enthusiasm have rarely been seen in recent years -- perhaps this is one reason why his effectiveness may have diminished. Though possibly inaccurate, there were a few in 2006 who compared the rookie Ovechkin to fellow Russian, Pavel Bure, due to their explosive speed and tremendous hands. This is why.

This is the Ovechkin of old, a youthful, energetic human highlight reel. Alexander Ovechkin, now 26, is only a shadow of his former self. If he ever realizes what he could once again be, perhaps he would reclaim his position as the most dominant force the NHL has seen in years.

JetsAlternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 10:49 AM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
I agree that it's important to understand what a true return to form would be for him. People here point to his 38 goals (top 5 or whatever) as a sign he doesn't have far to go.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 10:59 AM
JetsAlternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
I agree that it's important to understand what a true return to form would be for him. People here point to his 38 goals (top 5 or whatever) as a sign he doesn't have far to go.
That's exactly the issue I wish to tackle with the footage I'm presenting. Several major aspects of his game are missing: his ruthless and unshakeable desire to score, his speed, his creativity, and his willingness to take risks and be spontaneous. He used to throw himself at every puck, and would never quit on a play. He seems now to rely solely on his shot, as unrefined as it has become. He has lost the majority of his former game.

The player in the footage is the Ovechkin we were all so captivated by. That is the individual so many at one time called the greatest player on the planet. Unfortunately, it's going to take a lot of work if he ever wants to return to that form. I can say, without a doubt, that hockey fans across the globe want the return of the old Ovechkin. It's just amazing how awesome he used to be.

JetsAlternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 11:14 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Some think he will score 65 goals and be awesome in all 3 zones.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 11:38 AM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

That post wouldn't have been deleted had its author been anyone else here.

Old
09-03-2012, 03:52 PM
Koized

I don't believe in this "the league has adapted to Ovechkin" comment. It's all on Ovechkin IMO. He is much less explosive, gives up on plays, doesn't put in the same effort, and his shot is not the same. He hasn't worked on improving his game since he came into the league and has become out of shape and slower.

Koized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 04:56 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
Some think he will score 65 goals and be awesome in all 3 zones.
I still think it's more quizzical that someone would find that ridiculous.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 05:08 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
The guy was 12 goals short of the absolute minimum we should expect of a guy who earned his bones, and extraordinary paycheck, on spectacular goal scoring feats. And he was a whopping 22 short of the league leader.

It is time for Ovechkin to decide he is willing to make the sacrifices it is going to take to be the best player in the world again. But if he decides he doesn't care to do that then he can be a top 5 -10 goal scorer in this league in his sleep and plenty around here will be satisfied.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 05:13 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
I still think it's more quizzical that someone would find that ridiculous.
Yeah I am going to start a list of all the players who have achieved that in their careers:

Jari Kurri (and that was in the high flying 80's. No way he does that in todays game and that was playing with a pretty decent centerman...)

End of list.

But sure everyone can simply be as good as they want to be...

Old
09-03-2012, 05:30 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Yeah I am going to start a list of all the players who have achieved that in their careers:

Jari Kurri (and that was in the high flying 80's. No way he does that in todays game and that was playing with a pretty decent centerman...)

End of list.

I legitimately think he can be a 60 goal scoring winger who is good in all three zones. Just scoring 20 on the PP again makes a huge dent in that.

He's one of the best players of all time. No comparison is out of line in my opinion.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 05:47 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
I legitimately think he can be a 60 goal scoring winger who is good in all three zones. Just scoring 20 on the PP again makes a huge dent in that.

He's one of the best players of all time. No comparison is out of line in my opinion.
Kurri's the best two way goal scorer of all time IMO and maybe, and I do mean maybe, he pots 50 a couple times in today's game.

I don't know what to say if you think Ovechkin can simply decide to be that good defensively and still pot 60. Beagle deciding to be a 30 goals scorer has about an equal chance of happening...

Old
09-03-2012, 06:12 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
The guy was 12 goals short of the absolute minimum we should expect of a guy who earned his bones, and extraordinary paycheck, on spectacular goal scoring feats. And he was a whopping 22 short of the league leader.

It is time for Ovechkin to decide he is willing to make the sacrifices it is going to take to be the best player in the world again. But if he decides he doesn't care to do that then he can be a top 5 -10 goal scorer in this league in his sleep and plenty around here will be satisfied.
You realize I agree with you, right? That was my point exactly.

Old
09-03-2012, 06:13 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:

End of list.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote