HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Canes Keeper League Season 5

Old
09-03-2012, 07:26 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 445
I'm game with that if that's a good set of general guidelines to most everyone else.

So stat categories:

for players I like this as a good starting point:
goals: 1
assists: 1
gwg: 1
pppts: .25
shpts: .25
+/-: .25
hit: .1
block: .1
shot: .1
fowin: .1

goalie stats:
shutout: 3 pts
win: 2
OT/SO loss: 1
save: .25
goal against: -2
(could easily switch to .1 and -1 for saves and goals against respectively)

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 10:12 PM
La Huracanista

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
I'm game with that if that's a good set of general guidelines to most everyone else.

So stat categories:

for players I like this as a good starting point:
goals: 1
assists: 1
gwg: 1
pppts: .25
shpts: .25
+/-: .25
hit: .1
block: .1
shot: .1
fowin: .1

goalie stats:
shutout: 3 pts
win: 2
OT/SO loss: 1
save: .25
goal against: -2
(could easily switch to .1 and -1 for saves and goals against respectively)
My own preference
G = 1
A = .8 (Nerfed for BS secondary assists)
GWG = No thanks (aren't necessarily clutch goals, unfortunately)
PP = .5 (power play time is perceived as a reward)
SH = .5 (shorthanded time is perceived as important)
+/- = No thanks (I want this stat to die in a fire)

hit = Meh (real-time stats can be BS-y, so I'm not sure about hits)
SOG = 0.1 (almost exactly what its value should be, because 300 shots basically gets you 30 goals)

FOW = 0.05 or even 0.04 (say you have a winger who scores gets 40 points and a center who scores 40 points. The center wins 700 faceoffs at a value of .1, so he's a 110 point fantasy player and the other guy is a 40 point player. Way too much value. Good centers take a lot of faceoffs so this adds up quickly. I like that having the stat makes centers more valuable, because I think they are considered a bit more valuable by most people in the NHL).

Blocks = Iffy on real time stats. Brett Clark had the 2nd most blocked shots in the NHL last year. Does he really deserve to be a valid fantasy defenseman?

Does yahoo do Time On Ice as a stat yet? Until then, I think defensemen are just kind of boned in fantasy hockey.

Goalie stats
Wins: 4 (more or less the amount of goals it takes to win a typical hockey game)
Saves: .075 (again, these add up for goalies. They can get 25 a game)
GA: -.75 (they giv
OT/SO loss: 2
SO: 2

Just some opinions here, I'm not going to be upset if everybody thinks my opinions are a bit out there.

La Huracanista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 09:40 AM
bleedgreen

I Say instead of dropping actual spots we drop the bench spots to nearly none. I don't mind having a big team, it's keeping players that aren't used that are good enough to help other teams. Those guys end up on waivers so if a guy gets hurt you're scrambling. I say two goalie spots per team and that's it. No goalie hoarding. I say we protect 5 guys and a goalie overall, at least for this year. That may even be too many if we want to scramble this up. No superstars will be available regardless. If we go this way I'm fine with extending prospects rights. I don't think we should number how many forwards or wingers or whatever, when deciding how many can stay. That should be up to you, other than goalie. Then we don't have to reduce the goalie stats as everyone would have at least one legit guy and a fair shot at drafting his second. Makes the decision on when to draft one important.

That's my first thought, I'll come back with a stat based one after I look at it.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 09:50 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
#bandwagonwildcup

I like the sound of that overall, but one worry I would have is injuries where the player isn't actually put on I/R (which seems to happen quite a bit). If this happens to one of your goalies and you are only allowed to have two you're screwed.

09-04-2012, 10:40 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

I'm definitely onboard with cutting the goalie keepers down to 1, and the number of bench spots for sure. But I don't think that should necessarily limit the number of goalies per team to 2. Maybe limit to 3 goalies per team, and limit teams to all of 3 bench spots for the team overall (IE: actual number of NHL bench spots).

Old
09-04-2012, 11:22 AM
bleedgreen

I'm down with that. I just want to limit the amount of goalies you can protect and keep rostered overall to a fair extent.

My first thought on the stats....are we going overboard with the changes? My reasoning for these drafting/keeper changes was to make things fair for those who have or will this year inherent bad teams that have little chance of improvement without such a drastic "reset". Or help those who just had bad teams from the get go. Will these changes in the rosters and drafting not be enough? I like the way the stats are organized now, with the most pts going to the leader of that stat. Works fair to me. I don't like all the percentages being mentioned, I don't want to be part of a league where some accounting skills are required. Can we just eliminate some stat categories people don't like? I'm fine with plus minus going. I don't mind the blocks and such, I like that if your team lacks punch in one area you can focus on another and still be competitive. Making the stats so only the team with the most goal scoring forwards and winning goalie comes out on top is pretty boring too, not to mention hardly a league worth paying attention to if you know you're already out today because you don't have goal scoring forwards.

I like that all kinds of players can have value. Maybe drop a dman or two from the roster and maybe a center? I like having the generic forward and utility spot as it allows people who lack the aforementioned scoring forwards flexibility. If we are going to do this based on goal scoring forwards only there is no point in having it be a keeper league at all IMO.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 07:41 PM
La Huracanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
I'm down with that. I just want to limit the amount of goalies you can protect and keep rostered overall to a fair extent.

My first thought on the stats....are we going overboard with the changes? My reasoning for these drafting/keeper changes was to make things fair for those who have or will this year inherent bad teams that have little chance of improvement without such a drastic "reset". Or help those who just had bad teams from the get go. Will these changes in the rosters and drafting not be enough? I like the way the stats are organized now, with the most pts going to the leader of that stat. Works fair to me. I don't like all the percentages being mentioned, I don't want to be part of a league where some accounting skills are required. Can we just eliminate some stat categories people don't like? I'm fine with plus minus going. I don't mind the blocks and such, I like that if your team lacks punch in one area you can focus on another and still be competitive. Making the stats so only the team with the most goal scoring forwards and winning goalie comes out on top is pretty boring too, not to mention hardly a league worth paying attention to if you know you're already out today because you don't have goal scoring forwards.

I like that all kinds of players can have value. Maybe drop a dman or two from the roster and maybe a center? I like having the generic forward and utility spot as it allows people who lack the aforementioned scoring forwards flexibility. If we are going to do this based on goal scoring forwards only there is no point in having it be a keeper league at all IMO.
I've played in a points league on ESPN's fantasy hockey platform, and it automatically displayed the players' points value from the year prior when we were drafting. You didn't actually have to go through and do the math yourself. You can eyeball it quite easily. In fact, it summarizes the player's value in one number and that makes eyeballing a player's value as easy as it could possibly be.

In response to not minding goals being = to hits, it just makes fantasy hockey a joke. Guys like Matt Greene, Brett Clark, and Luke Schenn don't lead the blocked shots and hits categories because they have a lot of actual value. That's why they don't play that many minutes. Real-time stats are pretty random numbers.

I think physical players get credited with more hits in general so I don't mind them as a minor tie-breaker between two equal players. But in the league we have now a guy like Matt Martin is worth the same as Rick Nash. I take fantasy hockey pretty seriously, and frankly it's ridiculous that hits and blocked shots and faceoffs won be worth the same as goals and assists. Patrick Kane != Cal Clutterbuck, and Paul Gaustad should not be a fantasy option because he is good at faceoffs. The points system is really the easiest one and now I think the goal is to make it mirror reality to some extent, but mostly be fun. Paul Gaustad on a fantasy team is not fun.

Old
10-07-2012, 02:45 PM
Caniac4ever

vCash: 0
So, this might have been discussed already in another thread, but I haven't frequented the boards as much so have missed it if it was. I received a reminder email yesterday that our keeper league draft is tonight at 10:30. Is this actually true and someone has hopes that there will be a season or is it just still set as draft night from back when we thought the season would start on time?

Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 07:49 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
#bandwagonwildcup

I don't think we even have all the teams in the league yet. I for one don't really plan on doing any fantasy drafts until the lockout is resolved. Hopefully Dave will notice it and postpone it in the next hour.

Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 08:44 PM
Caniac4ever

vCash: 0
Ya, I was checking it out after I posted, and there are not even any players saved on the teams, so every player is available to pick in the draft. Obviously not what anyone had in mind. And I agree, it seems pretty pointless to have the draft until we know if/when we have a season. I'm sure Dave just didn't realize the draft was still set to go tonight.

Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 08:44 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

yep, figured that Yahoo was going to axe and draft times for now. I pushed it back as far as it will go, and will probably cancel there as this stuff still won't be resolved by then

Old
10-16-2012, 08:20 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
#bandwagonwildcup

Dave, you should just change the draft type to offline. Then we can switch it back if and when there is a season.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:12 AM
Sad King Jimmy
That's hockey baby!

vCash: 50
So is this still happening?

Sad King Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 08:22 PM
La Huracanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonfortheHart View Post
So is this still happening?
Yeah, is it?

Old
01-08-2013, 12:01 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

It is, will be setting up as much as possible tomorrow morning. Should have protect lists and the like up and ready to go. This ****'s unfortunately going to be short notice given the expected timetable.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:18 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
#bandwagonwildcup

The sooner we can establish a draft date and time the better for scheduling purposes.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:58 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

tentatively have things set for the 16th (Wed.) at 10PM, can change it from there but yeah that's going to give us time to organize our rosters and should be in before the games start.