HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Price of Sticks is Getting Ridiculous

Old
08-20-2012, 10:51 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdwe1 View Post
Were they about to snap
Nope, brand new.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 10:52 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhouse99 View Post
That's what I've been thinking of. A lot of talented 13 and 14 year olds parents are just regular people, mom works at safeway or whatever and dad is a contractor. How are you paying for sticks and skates with a household pre tax income of $60,000 a year?

I was pokin around that hockey monkey site a couple of days ago, seems like the new high end skates are $900 and the norm is $500, even three packs of high end sticks are $120 each. People must be spending ten grand a year for their kids to play hockey in some cases.

I never thought about it when I was a kid, but it's the kind of thing that makes you look back and say man was I lucky to have parents that could afford to pay for my activities.
I got the RBK 8.0.8 on sale for 100$... After boxing day...

That's when I buy stuff...

Hockey money has solid stuff with their mystery pack..

Old
08-20-2012, 12:38 PM
rinkrat22

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokomotiv15 View Post
Either way, I can't imagine being a Midget AAA players parents and dropping $250-$300 5 times a year on new twigs. When I was playing Pee-wee AA and into high-school hockey, we mostly still had wood or easton Synergy and Synthesis sticks that lasted forever, then by the time I was playing Junior D/C we had team issue stick and team discount cards so we saved money.

Gotta feel for the 'rents that have to sauce that kinda money nowadays.
next time you see your folks, just tell them thanks.

As the father of an AAA player let me tell you we make many sacrifices, the whole family does. I spend about $10,000 a year for her to play hockey. that's a lot of part time work after my normal Firefighting job.

Just remember someday when you're a parent, its your job to give your kids a better life than your parents could give you. Now I don't mean live beyond what you can afford, just try and do better for your kids than could have been done for you. Dont spoil them but try and give them more opportunities than you had. Just as they did for you.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 01:05 PM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
High end sticks is not a bad choice for easy going beer leaguers and drop-in players. My RS has been with me for 8 months and there's been no signs of wear and tear on it.

I don't take slap shots as much though, that could be why.
I have a game used RS that I paid $80 for that I use for D league and drop-in. I've slammed it more than once after a bad shot (not like a two hander against the boards, but something I shouldn't have done), had it stepped on (surprisingly it stayed in one piece), and had it wedged into a door once during drop in and it still is intact. I'm not saying I expect it to last another 2-3 years. It might even break on my next shot. But so far, it seems to be working out for me.

I buy used knowing that I'm getting a high end stick for a middle of the road price. If it breaks, it breaks and I move on. Now if I have a run where I rip through three sticks in 5 games, I might have to take a step back and re-examine my theory on buying used.

iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 01:43 PM
beenhereandthere

No one has mentioned anything about wood sticks, seems those have gone the way of the dinosaur. I liked them and it seemed I could get a better slapper on those than the composite I use now.

beenhereandthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 01:46 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

That's because blades of wood sticks go soft and split after a few ice times. They really aren't good for anything other than the occasional skate. Also they are $40 USD now for the old 5030, so if you are going through half a dozen per year, it's going to cost as much or more than a decent composite.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 10:18 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
No disrespect to anyone ITT but unless you are playing tier III travel hockey or above, you shouldn't be considering buying a top end stick.

For the average player, that high performance twig will hurt your game more than it helps it. They are also built for performance, not durability. They are not made to take the pounding of being stepped on, bent the wrong way, and slammed directly into the ice during an off balance slap shot.

I can't count the amount of times ive seen a C league player unwrap a brand new $250 stick for stick and puck and then watch it snap in half 30 minutes later because his technique on his slapper amounted to nothing more than smashing his stick into the ice behind the puck and his wrist shot was seeing how far he could bend the stick before letting loose a nice easy floater
I'm a C leaguer with a decent slap shot and the only time I've ever broken one of my expensive sticks is when I lost my temper and slammed it over the cross bar after a bad turnover. This myth that the high end sticks are less durable is just that, a myth. I'm using S19s and Vapor 7.0s playing three games a week and they are taking a beating and holding up as good as any stick I've ever used.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 10:24 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
It's the reason why many Americans use RH sticks.
It's the parents. Back when hockey really started to get traction here in the 70s, most parents knew little about the game and thought, right handed kid, right handed stick. Little Johnny at 8 years old didn't know better so he just took what mommy or daddy bought him. I curse my parents for putting me in a right handed stick.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 10:47 PM
Malreg

Haven't the top-end one-piece sticks always been around $300? At least in Quebec, if I remember correctly...

I seem to remember that's how much my first one-piece was when I was in Bantam or Midget... I was breaking $40 wooden sticks every couple of weeks. The one-piece lasted over 2 years, so it was well worth it.

And lol at the people complaining about other players buying top quality sticks. If they have the money, and it makes them enjoy the game more, who the hell cares what they play with?

Malreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 02:31 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rinkrat22 View Post
next time you see your folks, just tell them thanks.

As the father of an AAA player let me tell you we make many sacrifices, the whole family does. I spend about $10,000 a year for her to play hockey. that's a lot of part time work after my normal Firefighting job.

Just remember someday when you're a parent, its your job to give your kids a better life than your parents could give you. Now I don't mean live beyond what you can afford, just try and do better for your kids than could have been done for you. Dont spoil them but try and give them more opportunities than you had. Just as they did for you.
10 big ones a year? What's it being spent on specifically?

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 07:31 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

I know that the big-time hockey program here runs between $4-5K just for the program fee. Add in a bunch of sticks, gear, and perhaps private lessons and stick time fees and I can see getting to $10K, especially if there is a lot of travel involved.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 09:03 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malreg View Post
Haven't the top-end one-piece sticks always been around $300? At least in Quebec, if I remember correctly...

I seem to remember that's how much my first one-piece was when I was in Bantam or Midget... I was breaking $40 wooden sticks every couple of weeks. The one-piece lasted over 2 years, so it was well worth it.

And lol at the people complaining about other players buying top quality sticks. If they have the money, and it makes them enjoy the game more, who the hell cares what they play with?
For ball hockey it's over the top... But hey your right...

It's pretty fun when you break thier sticks...

Old
08-21-2012, 09:03 AM
CornKicker
Tied with Lander G's

vCash: 50
availability depends on where you live but i get pro stock sticks off of craigslist/kijiji for 60-70% off. I got 4 RBK 11K's for $375. all brand new.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 01:16 PM
Brass97

The Sherwood PMP I use hasn't seen a raise in it's price. Been $25 for as long as I remember. If you're looking for a cheap stick, it might be the way to go.

Brass97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 05:59 PM
rinkrat22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
10 big ones a year? What's it being spent on specifically?
5800 right off the bat just for fee's for the season. Figure in 2 at a minimum trips out of town per month with a minimum 3 night hotel stay. Gas at $4 a gallon. Practice 3-5 days a week.(depending if we are out of town that week) also we don't fly much on trips so that saves money on airline tickets and rental cars. 3 meals a day for 3 days on trips for 2 people. And you aren't eating fast food. Although usually subway for lunch. I own my own skate sharpened so I save money on that. It all adds up quick. You get the idea.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 11:39 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinkrat22 View Post
5800 right off the bat just for fee's for the season. Figure in 2 at a minimum trips out of town per month with a minimum 3 night hotel stay. Gas at $4 a gallon. Practice 3-5 days a week.(depending if we are out of town that week) also we don't fly much on trips so that saves money on airline tickets and rental cars. 3 meals a day for 3 days on trips for 2 people. And you aren't eating fast food. Although usually subway for lunch. I own my own skate sharpened so I save money on that. It all adds up quick. You get the idea.
Wow that's crazy !

I take your daughter plays midget level AAA ?? Girls is quite the cash grab..

Midget AAA boys is around that price.

Old
08-24-2012, 07:28 AM
hockeymass

Quote:
No disrespect to anyone ITT but unless you are playing tier III travel hockey or above, you shouldn't be considering buying a top end stick.

For the average player, that high performance twig will hurt your game more than it helps it. They are also built for performance, not durability. They are not made to take the pounding of being stepped on, bent the wrong way, and slammed directly into the ice during an off balance slap shot.

I can't count the amount of times ive seen a C league player unwrap a brand new $250 stick for stick and puck and then watch it snap in half 30 minutes later because his technique on his slapper amounted to nothing more than smashing his stick into the ice behind the puck and his wrist shot was seeing how far he could bend the stick before letting loose a nice easy floater

For all my fellow weekend warriors on HFboards. Go get your self a SHAFT in the $50-$75 dollar range that has reviews for being extremely durable, and get a good solid blade put on it. You may lose a couple MPH on that slapper and your wrist shot might lose some whip on it, but at least you aren't spending $1000 a year on sticks to play hockey once a week.
Lol what is this I don't even

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 10:01 AM
AIREAYE

LOL hockeymass, my thoughts exactly

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 02:25 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
That's why places like Hockey Tron are getting a foothold in the market. They are selling sticks that weigh 395 grams for $130. I haven't broken a composite stick in a few years, for me the key was finding the brand I liked, the curve I liked and the flex I like and then I stick with that brand unless I have issues. I loved Easton sticks, the Gaborik SL was my favorite but it broke way too easy. Right now I'm using Combat with a Coffey curve-which is the curve I've been using for a long time and I haven't had any issues. People know when they are buying the latest and greatest they are getting ripped off but they want the latest and the greatest RIGHT NOW. Unless you're a pro or on the verge of going pro there is no reason to buy the current top of the line when last year's top of the line are sitting right next to it on sale collecting dust. Nobody is forcing anybody to buy $900 skates or $300 skates but apparently that is what the free market can bare according to the suits who come up with the prices. Stop buying it and prices will drop.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 04:53 PM
Guffaw

It is ridiculous, I agree. $250 for a composite stick made in china with a cost per unit that's probably 5% of that.

The prices are that high because people keep buying them. I see morning pickup guys that are novices and 50 lbs overweight with Easton RS sticks.

I set my personal limit at $100. I like the lighter weight and whippier response vs. a wood stick and they last me forever. I feel I'm getting value.

How many more goals would I score with an Easton RS vs. an S15? My guess is probably none.

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 05:24 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffaw View Post
It is ridiculous, I agree. $250 for a composite stick made in china with a cost per unit that's probably 5% of that.

The prices are that high because people keep buying them. I see morning pickup guys that are novices and 50 lbs overweight with Easton RS sticks.

I set my personal limit at $100. I like the lighter weight and whippier response vs. a wood stick and they last me forever. I feel I'm getting value.

How many more goals would I score with an Easton RS vs. an S15? My guess is probably none.
You're seriously talking out of your ___ here...

Old
09-03-2012, 07:43 PM
xpat1313x

Send a message via AIM to xpat1313x Send a message via MSN to xpat1313x Send a message via Yahoo to xpat1313x
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
You're seriously talking out of your ___ here...
he's not that far off

xpat1313x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 08:36 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpat1313x View Post
he's not that far off
Let's say a top end in the states is $250 while one in Canada is $300. 5% base cost price for the manufacturer would be $12.50 and $15.00 respectively.

One of, if not the largest Canadian sporting goods retailers has the retail cost price of top end sticks anywhere in the neighborhood between $170 - $190, most often around $180, which is 60% of regular retail price. Buying constantly and consistently in large quantities from manufacturers for locations coast-to-coast allows for such a price per unit. Don't think these major manufacturers would give 1100% markups to buyers. That's also considering the fact that the retailer buys in bulk, so the cost individually of each stick may be higher than that $180 range.

The cost of industrial carbon fibre is apparently about $10 / lb, roughly translating to about $4.50/kg. Assuming a top end SR stick is 400g (the APX and original U+ CL is about 415g non-grip with the smallest blade) and assuming around 350g of that stick is carbon fibre (I'm excluding any kevlar, resin, foam cores, paint or grip coatings), that material cost alone is still around $1.50, not discounting your argument entirely at the moment.

Now let's add all of the stuff in brackets, cost of labor (still there, even if it's overseas), rent and probably most of all, transport.

I'll be the first to admit that I have no data backing my argument except for the evidence above, but if you have such data to prove me wrong, it would be very welcome.

Last edited by AIREAYE: 09-03-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old
09-03-2012, 09:23 PM
epo

I checked out sticks last week while getting my skates sharpened. I was pretty impressed with value of the newer models even at there full retail price.

epo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 09:30 PM
Nazem99

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Let's say a top end in the states is $250 while one in Canada is $300. 5% base cost price for the manufacturer would be $12.50 and $15.00 respectively.

One of, if not the largest Canadian sporting goods retailers has the retail cost price of top end sticks anywhere in the neighborhood between $170 - $190, most often around $180, which is 60% of regular retail price. Buying constantly and consistently in large quantities from manufacturers for locations coast-to-coast allows for such a price per unit. Don't think these major manufacturers would give 1100% markups to buyers. That's also considering the fact that the retailer buys in bulk, so the cost individually of each stick may be higher than that $180 range.

The cost of industrial carbon fibre is apparently about $10 / lb, roughly translating to about $4.50/kg. Assuming a top end SR stick is 400g (the APX and original U+ CL is about 415g non-grip with the smallest blade) and assuming around 350g of that stick is carbon fibre (I'm excluding any kevlar, resin, foam cores, paint or grip coatings), that material cost alone is still around $1.50, not discounting your argument entirely at the moment.

Now let's add all of the stuff in brackets, cost of labor (still there, even if it's overseas), rent and probably most of all, transport.

I'll be the first to admit that I have no data backing my argument except for the evidence above, but if you have such data to prove me wrong, it would be very welcome.
All that and you didn't tell us how much they actually cost to make

Nazem99 is offline   Reply With Quote