HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How did you first become a NYR fan?

Old
09-03-2012, 10:56 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 500
How did you first become a NYR fan?

For me, my dad was a huge hockey nut. He grew up in Alberta and idolized Wayne Gretzky.

After getting his degree in Toronto, he moved to NY and that's where the family tree expanded.

I was naturally into hockey, but this game as a 6 year old won me over.

I started watching the team religiously in 2005.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 10:59 PM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

vCash: 476
Grew into a family of NYR fans

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 11:04 PM
Krampus
Call me Nils

I watched my first hockey game while on vacation in New York. 6 months before actually moving here

It was a pretty bad game (http://rangers.nhl.com/club/recap.htm?id=2005020585)
but I fell in love with the sport

Spent the first year buying tickets for like 5 games
Went on the season ticket waiting list after that.
Next year we went to 10 games.
Year after that to 20.
The 3 years after that to 42 (Plus playoffs)

Krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 11:13 PM
Stasis
Mad Decent

Born and raised in NYC... though I live mostly in Montreal now. I grew up with a dad who was and still is a huge fan of all things sports NYC. Yanks, Knicks, Giants, Rangers. Unwavering loyalty and dedication. I wasn't much into sports at all as a youngster, though I did get "dragged" to my fair share of Yanks and Knicks games and would still cheer on the locals. When I first moved to Montreal I started to appreciate hockey more and more, being kinda forced into seeing/hearing about it constantly. I couldn't bring myself to cheer for the Habs... still can't, despite my gf and most of my friends here being French Canadian and loving to give me s**t about it. I'm pretty hardcore fanatical about the sport now, but my love for it really began in 2004, so I recognize that I'm kinda "new" to the party.

I'm a big Sabres fan too, so two NY teams.

Stasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 11:13 PM
koz2393

I hope my story doesn't get me like kicked off this board haha.

I started off with hockey going to Devils fans because my aunt got free tickets from work. I saw them play against Hasek and Buffalo became my favorite team. I followed them until the lockout, and then when hockey came back I really didn't care. Then I started going to high school in manhattan, and my friend and I went to a preseason game because tickets were like $10...needless to say I got re-hooked, this time with the rangers. From the next year on my dad and I had a mini-plan and this year have season tickets

koz2393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 11:21 PM
Blueshirt Believer

First live sporting event I went to was seeing the Rangers at MSG.

Last edited by Blueshirt Believer: 09-04-2012 at 11:52 PM.
Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 11:23 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

I started watching the Rangers after the lockout (didn't even know there was one) in 2005-2006.
My grandpa, uncle, mom and dad are huge fans and that definitely helped me get into the team.

Been a huge fan ever since.

I still remember watching the Malik shootout goal:

Last edited by Jabroni: 09-03-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 11:32 PM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

vCash: 476
In addition to mine, by family I mean my dad lol. My mother is a devils fan. My brother and sister are unathletic and sport haters.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 11:33 PM
smoneil

When I was little, we lived in Rochester, NY. My earliest sports memory is of going to see the Amerks (AHL team with a very USA, red white and blue theme/look). When I was 5, we moved to the Scranton, PA area. I saw the Rangers play on television (this was around 1986 or 1987), and assumed that they were the NHL version of the Amerks (because of the color-scheme). By the time I realized I was wrong, I was too hooked on Rangers hockey. So basically, I became a Ranger fan because I was a pretty stupid 5 year old, haha.

smoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 11:46 PM
Rangerboy030

Because I live in Australia, ice hockey games are very hard to come by on TV, but I liked the sport from playing NHL 97. Eventually the game broke and I lost interest in hockey until after the lockout (which I didn't even know about), when I felt like I needed a sports game for my collection.

I started up NHL 06 and picked the first team that I remembered from NHL 97; the Rangers, to play as, which is how I more or less affiliated myself with the Rangers.

After the lockout, Australian TV also started to show NHL games on occasion, and one day, I was channel surfing and came across a game in the dying seconds. From this I got curious about how the real Rangers were doing, so, off I went to rangers.com and I haven't looked back since.

Rangerboy030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 11:51 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post

Did you see that ****?

In the middle of that wrestling match someone jumped into the ring and scored a goal

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 11:55 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

I was born into it. Went to my first game in 97 when I was 4 and I've been following ever since. I remember a decent amount of pre lockout stuff (from my memory, not by looking it up) but I really became a die hard from the year after the lockout on.

09-04-2012, 12:30 AM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
my dad brought me to games when i was little.. my first game was when i was 2 years old.

we had season tickets when i was a kid in section 324. our first year was 93-94. i was at all the games that year except for game 7 in the finals. my aunt had a pair of seats in 205 and they sold hers for $1000 each. i sat home listening to the game on the radio since i didnt have msg.

my dad eventually gave up his tickets after a few years and i started going with my aunt alot. i remember really getting into them again when bure first came to the rangers. 06-07 i was a senior in high school and i got my own season tickets and its been awesome having them. too bad the prices have doubled since then

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 12:30 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

grew up in new jersey and had the luxury of getting devils, rangers, and flyers games. was initially a devils fan when i was a kid-- went to a devils/rangers game. rangers won in OT. thought rangers played harder and they won fights became a rangers fan from then out.

Kreider Typical is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 12:32 AM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 550
I bought a new HDTV once they came out and wanted to see if it actually makes sports look clearer. The Rangers were the only NY team with a game on.

Probably the most unique story ever.

09-04-2012, 12:45 AM
gmerger37

My earliest sports memories are both rangers related. As a kid I remember going to an NYR game at MSG with my dad and being so little that when we all jumped up to score I couldn't see anything but bodies, I just remember the floor shaking and it being the loudest thing I'd ever heard in my life.

Also the 94 cup run was my first real taste of success (that I can remember) of a team winning a cup that my dad and I rooted for. I have been hooked ever since.

I am ashamed to say that during the dark years my patience and interest waned a little and I may not have watched as many games as I used to but ever since a year or two before the lockout and every year since I have been back in full force.

gmerger37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 01:03 AM
Fanned On It

I only recently started watching hockey seriously last season (because I started actually playing hockey a few months before the season started) but my dad is a life-long Rangers fan and actually used to make their game jerseys out of his pro-shop. Anyone remember when Gretzky's name was spelled wrong? That was my dad! hahaha. But yeah, I pretty much defaulted to the Rangers last season and have fallen in love with them since. Having the Rangers be included in the Winter Classic and 24/7 in my first year watching definitely turbo-charged my love affair with them lol.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 01:22 AM
Cresto
In the pantry

My best friend at the time, 4 years ago, was a Rangers fan (not a die hard though) and I caught on after not liking the Canucks here in Vancouver all this time and it's been one hell of a ride ever since

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 01:28 AM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

Grew up in WI. Badger hockey was all I knew. It's fuzzy but basically I started noticing hockey in early 90s on espn & got into it. It seemed like the Rangers were on a lot & I found out their goalie was a Badger & I adopted them as my team. Won the cup in 94, felt like I was a good luck charm lmao. Had some rough years in personal life & stopped watching.

Over the next 10 years I attended random NHL games while living in Cali but didn't pay much attention.

Then the last winter Olympics happened & I totally fell back in love with the game. Found this forum & it's been awesome.

Fwiw. Grew up in WI & totally separate reasons led me to becoming a Giants fan, Yankees fan & Rangers fan.

I've also adopted the Knicks since I really don't follow the NBA anymore & I really wanted to buy my son a Melo jetsey(his name is Anthony, he's 4 & thinks its so badass lol)

NYGBleedBlueNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 01:30 AM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
I bought a new HDTV once they came out and wanted to see if it actually makes sports look clearer. The Rangers were the only NY team with a game on.

Probably the most unique story ever.
I bought an HDTV right away too. Huge Giants fan & when I went looking to see how great the picture was the store in Maryland randomly put on a recorded Giants game. That sold me right there. Paid $5000 for 37" & it still works great. It's my 2nd tv in my living room during football season lol.

NYGBleedBlueNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 01:31 AM
Riverdale

I was a die hard Yankees fan as a kid (my great grandfather got me into them). So when I started watching hockey I naturally watched the Rangers. The rest is history

Riverdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 01:32 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

TIL almost everyone on here started watching hockey yesterday.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 02:14 AM
theJUMPER

I know its silly, but my father would watch Ranger games sitting on the floor, drinking his bud lights and yell out "FIIIIIIIIGHTTTTT" whenever Joey Kocur or Tie Domi dropped the mitts in those days.

My brother and I would converge to see what was happening and reenact the fight with him.

We also got those novelty mini hockey sticks from games and my brother and I would turn the dining room table into a net and do breakaways with a sock that was taped up into a ball.

Gotdamm, sometimes i miss being lower-middle class.

theJUMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 02:15 AM
theJUMPER

BTW, in 94 I went to Jr. High School with my face painted blue and red after the Stanley Cup win and my principal stopped me in the hallway and gave me detention for "looking like it was Halloween."

theJUMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 03:25 AM
eco's bones

More or less I just decided to way back in 71-72. I would have been around 15 then. I was already a Yankees, Packers, Knicks fan at that point in time. No one in my family and not many of my friends followed hockey at all. Turned on the radio (Marv Albert and Sal Messina) one night--Rangers were playing the Seals--Ratelle who was neck and neck with Esposito for the scoring lead breaks his ankle but the Rangers won anyway. That was my first game. After that I was hooked and gradually over time I stopped following the Yankees, Packers and Knicks.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote