HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Episode IX|The Off-Season Thread|It's... still the offseason.

Closed Thread

Old
08-30-2012, 09:00 PM
KaylaJ
Honey Bun

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
As one of the bigger TK fans out there, he gets deserved heat from his effort last season. He finally gets paid for his hustle and he shows up and doesn't do what he's supposed to do. He was almost a worthless player last season. He needs to showcase himself this year.
I like TK when he is:

A) Used right. With some of the shuffling going on last season, I think he was just misused at times.

B) When healthy. He had a concussion in October where he missed a month & then ankle issues in February.

Not like these are great excuses, but I just don't think it was lack of effort for the whole season. I'm willing to give him a bye last season, but would rather not see that become a habit.

Old
08-30-2012, 09:04 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
I like TK when he is:

A) Used right. With some of the shuffling going on last season, I think he was just misused at times.

B) When healthy. He had a concussion in October where he missed a month & then ankle issues in February.

Not like these are great excuses, but I just don't think it was lack of effort for the whole season. I'm willing to give him a bye last season, but would rather not see that become a habit.
B is definitely an issue with him. He only has one 80 game season in his five years. I think that comes with being undersized for the type of game he plays.

Old
08-30-2012, 09:16 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
B is definitely an issue with him. He only has one 80 game season in his five years. I think that comes with being undersized for the type of game he plays.
Good call, Kayla and Ogre. I guess that is relatively surprising as his minutes were VERY limited in at least 3-4 of those years. Being healthy for an extended period can change a lot of people's minds... but I was really frustrated with his lack of effort last season. Hopefully it was due to those injuries.

Old
08-30-2012, 09:23 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Good call, Kayla and Ogre. I guess that is relatively surprising as his minutes were VERY limited in at least 3-4 of those years. Being healthy for an extended period can change a lot of people's minds... but I was really frustrated with his lack of effort last season. Hopefully it was due to those injuries.
being centered largely by guys like Cal O'Reilly and Richard Park instead of Staal most of the year couldn't have helped him either. I'm sure he was getting a lot less space than he's grown accustomed to.

Old
08-30-2012, 09:28 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
If he's with Sutter... that speed will be ridiculous.

Old
08-30-2012, 09:30 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
They're Buzzin!

Old
08-30-2012, 11:19 PM
mpp9

Quote:
I think Cooke will do wonders for Sutter as a mentor. Big upgrade as a linemate relative to what he's had in the past. Help him gain some more confidence in the offensive zone.

Old
09-02-2012, 10:36 PM
Flat Stanley

This is from TIOPS, but it's something to read nonetheless. Apparently the Penguins are intrigued to see if Benn Ferriero can establish himself as a full time NHL player under Bylsma. He's viewed as a fit on the 3rd line.

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/st...-system/51989/

Old
09-02-2012, 11:26 PM

Old
09-02-2012, 11:50 PM
MrBurgundy
Dan was a bad choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
This is from TIOPS, but it's something to read nonetheless. Apparently the Penguins are intrigued to see if Benn Ferriero can establish himself as a full time NHL player under Bylsma. He's viewed as a fit on the 3rd line.

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/st...-system/51989/
I'm also intrigued to see if TIOPS ever writes an article that is even remotely accurate.

Even when they are making **** up they are completely wrong.

Old
09-03-2012, 12:54 PM
mpp9

The more I think about it, the more I don't like us not retaining Sullivan. Hopefully Shero has something up his sleeve. We're seriously lacking quality RHS options.

I don't see us loading up the top unit with our top 3 centers but I'd like to see Sutter get a chance there at some point. As well as see some shifts with Sid if no trades are made in the opening months of the season.

Old
09-03-2012, 12:58 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
The more I think about it, the more I don't like us not retaining Sullivan. Hopefully Shero has something up his sleeve. We're seriously lacking quality RHS options.

I don't see us loading up the top unit with our top 3 centers but I'd like to see Sutter get a chance there at some point. As well as see some shifts with Sid if no trades are made in the opening months of the season.
I think that will largely depend on Jeffrey. If he is in the lineup and capable of playing 3C for a handful of shifts a game I could see Sutter getting a handful of extra shifts somewhere else a game. We have an awful lot of potential fluidity to our line-up.

Old
09-03-2012, 01:07 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I think that will largely depend on Jeffrey. If he is in the lineup and capable of playing 3C for a handful of shifts a game I could see Sutter getting a handful of extra shifts somewhere else a game. We have an awful lot of potential fluidity to our line-up.
Yep. I just think we're underestimating what Sully did on the PP for us. Was pretty solid at gaining the zone and allowed Geno to set up shop on the right boards with his ability to calm things down at the point.

We need a RHS top 6 winger by the deadline.

Old
09-03-2012, 01:13 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Yep. I just think we're underestimating what Sully did on the PP for us. Was pretty solid at gaining the zone and allowed Geno to set up shop on the right boards with his ability to calm things down at the point.

We need a RHS top 6 winger by the deadline.
Would certainly be nice.

Old
09-03-2012, 03:28 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Anyone look at the NHL TV Schedule? The Blues are on National TV 16 ****ing times.

Here's a list of teams with the most appearances. Not counting CBC/TSN.

-Boston (2 games on NBC, 4 NBC Flex games, 11 games on NBCSN, 15 games on NHL Network)
-Buffalo (1 game on NBC, 2 NBC Flex games, 11 games on NBCSN, 11 games on NHL Network)
-Chicago (1 game on NBC, 4 NBC Flex games, 9 games on NBCSN, 5 game on NHL Network)
-Detroit (2 games on NBC, 5 NBC Flex games, 10 games on NBCSN, 8 games on NHL Network)
-Los Angeles (1 game on NBC, 1 NBC Flex game, 7 games on NBCSN, 8 games on NHL Network)
-NYR (1 game on NBC, 1 NBC Flex game, 11 games on NBCSN, 14 games on NHL Network)
-Philly (4 NBC Flex games, 9 games on NBCSN, 12 games on NHL Network)
-Pittsburgh (1 game on NBC, 5 NBC Flex games, 13 games on NBCSN, 16 games on NHL Network)
-Washington (1 game on NBC, 3 NBC Flex games, 7 games on NBCSN, 7 games on NHL Network)

http://www.sbnation.com/2012/8/30/32...les/in/3043756

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
09-03-2012, 03:35 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Nice I love watching the Blues

Old
09-03-2012, 07:50 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Anyone else remember back in the 90's when it seemed like the Blues' entire schedule was shown on ESPN or ESPN2?

Back to Kennedy talk for a minute, I understand people being frustrated with him and wanting to move him to make the team better. I don't understand the willingess to move him for a guy like Mason Raymond who has the same problems Kennedy has, on top of being scared of his shadow.

Old
09-03-2012, 08:19 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
Anyone else remember back in the 90's when it seemed like the Blues' entire schedule was shown on ESPN or ESPN2?

Back to Kennedy talk for a minute, I understand people being frustrated with him and wanting to move him to make the team better. I don't understand the willingess to move him for a guy like Mason Raymond who has the same problems Kennedy has, on top of being scared of his shadow.
ya I can agree with that. I hope we don't have to move Kennedy. If we can afford him, he's a nice guy to have in the bottom 6. Even if everything works perfectly -- Tangradi sticks in the top 6 and we bring in another top 6 wing, pushing Dupuis to the third line -- I would love TK pushed to the 4th line. Sure, he'd be underused there. But he is a guy that can score largely on his own which would be a nice touch from a 4th liner.

Old
09-03-2012, 08:43 PM
Big McLargehuge
No Hope

vCash: 422
TK was misused pretty greatly for most of last season and is largely maligned simply because he's been a consistent on this roster for so long now.

He's a damn fine guy to have on your third line and the only reason to want Mason Raymond over him is that you haven't been watching Mason Raymond every game for the past 5 seasons. If he were penciled into the top six I'd understand the frustration...but he's not.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Old
09-03-2012, 11:01 PM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

In his entire career, Kennedy never produced more ES than last season, relative to number of games anyway.
He was rewarded for being a 20 goal scorer by getting no PP or top6 tickets last season, and on top of that was relegated to the 4th line for a spell when coming back from injuries.

Now, I am not saying he was stellar last season, he sure wasn't, but the amount of criticism he got was simply bizarre.

Old
09-03-2012, 11:18 PM
KaylaJ
Honey Bun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post

I couldn't even escape them on Fox's regional coverage cause it seemed like they played Dallas every week. My dislike of Pronger stems from those days cause he would often take the bait in the final minutes of a game that was close and take a retaliatory penalty.

Old
09-04-2012, 12:16 AM
Big McLargehuge
No Hope

vCash: 422
Quote:
I couldn't even escape them on Fox's regional coverage cause it seemed like they played Dallas every week. My dislike of Pronger stems from those days cause he would often take the bait in the final minutes of a game that was close and take a retaliatory penalty.
Likewise.

It seems almost comical to think of St. Louis as a national power when it comes to sports...but when I was growing up the Cardinals were on Fox Baseball just about every week (usually playing the Cubs), the Blues were nationally televised about once a week, even the Rams were televised pretty frequently as the 'new thing' in football...and then again when Dick Vermeil actually made them relevant.

The past decade has seen me cool my hatred of St. Louis teams because they haven't been forced down my throat (and one of my best friends is a devout St. Louisan)...but it won't take much for me to hate that city and all of it's teams again...I already hate the Rams because of the whole Los Angeles thing.

The only reason I liked the Rams growing up was because they had the same helmet as the Colorado State Rams...which adopted the LA Rams helmets in 1973 (with the far superior green and gold color scheme).

It's hard to imagine now that Dallas was on ESPN bi-weekly back in the day.

Old
09-04-2012, 01:52 AM
KaylaJ
Honey Bun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Likewise.

It seems almost comical to think of St. Louis as a national power when it comes to sports...but when I was growing up the Cardinals were on Fox Baseball just about every week (usually playing the Cubs), the Blues were nationally televised about once a week, even the Rams were televised pretty frequently as the 'new thing' in football...and then again when Dick Vermeil actually made them relevant.

The past decade has seen me cool my hatred of St. Louis teams because they haven't been forced down my throat (and one of my best friends is a devout St. Louisan)...but it won't take much for me to hate that city and all of it's teams again...I already hate the Rams because of the whole Los Angeles thing.

The only reason I liked the Rams growing up was because they had the same helmet as the Colorado State Rams...which adopted the LA Rams helmets in 1973 (with the far superior green and gold color scheme).

It's hard to imagine now that Dallas was on ESPN bi-weekly back in the day.
I remember when the Blues were considered one of the big 4 in the West, but looking back now they are the only ones who never won the Cup or at least made the Finals. They had some tough roads though as from 97-01 they lost to the eventual SC winner every yr except 2000 when they were the President Cup winners who lost to the 8th seeded Sharks. I don't mind them now, I'm excited for Jaden Schwartz and Tarasenko, but I don't love them either.

Bringing up the Rams, I remember when they were playing the Pats in the SB and how before the game people went on and on about how the Rams were destined for greatness (The Greatest Show on Turf) and the game wouldn't even be close. I always found it funny how people who figured St Louis to win chastised Tom Brady as being a nobody when Kurt Warner had an even more unlikely story.

As an Astros fan, the Cards can still take a leap. I respect them and how they chug along no matter what happens to them, but I won't miss them when my team is moved to the AL next season. And consider yourself lucky if you don't get Cards baseball every weekend on FOX. It is better now with the Rangers doing well and getting more AL games, but the less I hear Joe Buck trying to emulate his father, the better.

Finally, the less Dallas is on national TV the better. While I think they should get a bit more attention, getting back on track these days with younger talent and under new ownership, I love me some Ralph & Razor. Would def rather listen to them than whatever guys VS has on that week.

Old
09-04-2012, 08:39 AM
shizno

Quote:
I remember when the Blues were considered one of the big 4 in the West, but looking back now they are the only ones who never won the Cup or at least made the Finals. They had some tough roads though as from 97-01 they lost to the eventual SC winner every yr except 2000 when they were the President Cup winners who lost to the 8th seeded Sharks. I don't mind them now, I'm excited for Jaden Schwartz and Tarasenko, but I don't love them either.

Bringing up the Rams, I remember when they were playing the Pats in the SB and how before the game people went on and on about how the Rams were destined for greatness (The Greatest Show on Turf) and the game wouldn't even be close. I always found it funny how people who figured St Louis to win chastised Tom Brady as being a nobody when Kurt Warner had an even more unlikely story.

As an Astros fan, the Cards can still take a leap. I respect them and how they chug along no matter what happens to them, but I won't miss them when my team is moved to the AL next season. And consider yourself lucky if you don't get Cards baseball every weekend on FOX. It is better now with the Rangers doing well and getting more AL games, but the less I hear Joe Buck trying to emulate his father, the better.

Finally, the less Dallas is on national TV the better. While I think they should get a bit more attention, getting back on track these days with younger talent and under new ownership, I love me some Ralph & Razor. Would def rather listen to them than whatever guys VS has on that week.

VS...errr...NBC needs to get Razor full time

Old
09-04-2012, 12:55 PM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

This is pretty strange, yet decent until the NHL gets their stuff together..., Youtube has live coverage of KHL games.

Closed Thread