HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT Thread Part II: "We Successfully Made it Past Part I" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
09-04-2012, 12:09 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
I guess.

Nice sig.
Lol..thanks. A Devils fan made that one for me..he didn't really care for the one I had at the time which was a picture of Rupp punching Brodeur in the head..can't imagine why!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Thread about nothing, yet everything
Indeed..so poetic.

Old
09-04-2012, 12:21 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

I've applied for 5 jobs today, all of which I'm unqualified for

Nothing like searching for entry-level work and having jobs pop up that require 2-3 years experience. Blagh. Should have gotten an internship at an Advertising Agency.

Old
09-04-2012, 12:44 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Waiting fr my writing course to start, I think my prof is frrom Canada.

Old
09-04-2012, 12:49 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2960
Any bicyclists here who live/ride within NYC? I'm going to start riding to school and wherever, and I'm wondering if there's any important things I need to know.

09-04-2012, 01:01 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Under the 200 dollar limit for headphones, the Audio Technica m50 headphones are generally regarded as the best possible headphones in the price range.

I personally haven't really tried the m30s that much. But they are fairly comfortable and apparently have a good sound quality
I'm a fan of the Fostex T50RP's myself. Picked up a pair and I'm thrilled with the quality. It's a little bit light on the low end, but I'm not a huge bass guy so I don't mind so much. They can be a little hard to find, but I ended up getting mine from B&H for $75 bucks.

Plus, if you're a DIYer, you can Thunderpants them for about $250-300. Then the quality is unmatched for the price point.

Last edited by Trxjw: 09-04-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old
09-04-2012, 01:12 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I'm a fan of the Fostex T50RP's myself. Picked up a pair and I'm thrilled with the quality. It's a little bit light on the low end, but I'm not a huge bass guy so I don't mind so much. They can be a little hard to find, but I ended up getting mine from B&H for $75 bucks.

Plus, if you're a DIYer, you can Thunderpants them for about $250-300. Then the quality is unmatched for the price point.
The lack of bass was what turned me away from them..

Also I've noticed that there's a trend with headphones to vibrate the cups instead of having actual bass capabilities.. Hate it

Old
09-04-2012, 01:40 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:

Also I've noticed that there's a trend with headphones to vibrate the cups instead of having actual bass capabilities.. Hate it
I didn't find it to be much of an issue. Just comes down to preference I guess.

Old
09-04-2012, 01:46 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
I've applied for 5 jobs today, all of which I'm unqualified for

Nothing like searching for entry-level work and having jobs pop up that require 2-3 years experience. Blagh. Should have gotten an internship at an Advertising Agency.
Welcome to my hell that I endured for basically 9 months after I graduated in May 2011.

09-04-2012, 01:48 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:

Sounds very cheesy.

Old
09-04-2012, 02:07 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
Sounds very cheesy.
It is very cheesy

Old
09-04-2012, 02:18 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
Welcome to my hell that I endured for basically 9 months after I graduated in May 2011.
Tips for busting out?

Old
09-04-2012, 02:26 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Tips for busting out?
If you want a decent job you're almost invariably going to have to use connections. I spent months job-hunting to no avail, but when I finally swallowed my pride and got help from the people I had available to me I had an interview within a week and a job within two.

RANGERS =
Old
09-04-2012, 02:33 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
If you want a decent job you're almost invariably going to have to use connections. I spent months job-hunting to no avail, but when I finally swallowed my pride and got help from the people I had available to me I had an interview within a week and a job within two.
I've got connections in place but no where near what I want to do with my life. I'm still focused on making a career in sports, but I know that dream needs to die, I know it does, but I refuse to let it One day, I will be employed by the New York Rangers *determined face*

I've got a clear gateway into life insurance sales, but I don't want to do that. I'm very interested in real estate, and could get a job at a firm on Long Island quite easily, but I don't know if that's what I want to do with my life.

It's come to the point where I'm very strongly considering law school (as noted by a few pages back in this thread). If I'm in this same position in about two weeks or so, I think I'm going to hit the LSAT books and start preparing for the February test.

Once I let the dream die of working in sports, it's going to be a lot easier to find a career path elsewhere. At least I'm applying to positions outside of sports (mostly Account Executive positions at Advertising Agencies), but I'm still focused on breaking into the industry. Now if only I had connections in the place where I wanted them. Talk about your first world problems though.

Old
09-04-2012, 02:57 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
I've got connections in place but no where near what I want to do with my life. I'm still focused on making a career in sports, but I know that dream needs to die, I know it does, but I refuse to let it One day, I will be employed by the New York Rangers *determined face*

I've got a clear gateway into life insurance sales, but I don't want to do that. I'm very interested in real estate, and could get a job at a firm on Long Island quite easily, but I don't know if that's what I want to do with my life.

It's come to the point where I'm very strongly considering law school (as noted by a few pages back in this thread). If I'm in this same position in about two weeks or so, I think I'm going to hit the LSAT books and start preparing for the February test.

Once I let the dream die of working in sports, it's going to be a lot easier to find a career path elsewhere. At least I'm applying to positions outside of sports (mostly Account Executive positions at Advertising Agencies), but I'm still focused on breaking into the industry. Now if only I had connections in the place where I wanted them. Talk about your first world problems though.
I wouldn't worry as much about what field your first job is in. Just start racking up work experience. When you have some time under your belt you'll be able to figure out the best way to transition into the area you really want to be in.

I can't emphasize enough that you shouldn't go to law school just for the sake of doing something. Between the actual cost, the opportunity cost, and the amount of work/stress it involves, it's not worth it just to do because you don't have anything else lined up.

Old
09-04-2012, 03:07 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:

I graduated in December of 2011, it was rough. I spent ~3-4 months looking for a job. I would say that if you have an opportunity for a job to take it and get some experience under your belt. At 2 years, as you can see by looking for jobs now, there will be MANY more job opportunities available. Just bite the bullet and take a job. You can always continue looking while you are working.

My gf took a job back home, switched jobs after about a year and a half, and then again after another 8 months, in that time she has gotten a $10,000 increase just by keeping her eyes open and looking for a good opportunity.

The main thing I can't stress enough is that while it may not be ideal, having something on your resume is 1000000x better than nothing. The "good" jobs are being taken by the people with experience who have lost their jobs. It's the way the market is going now.

Old
09-04-2012, 03:19 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I wouldn't worry as much about what field your first job is in. Just start racking up work experience. When you have some time under your belt you'll be able to figure out the best way to transition into the area you really want to be in.

I can't emphasize enough that you shouldn't go to law school just for the sake of doing something. Between the actual cost, the opportunity cost, and the amount of work/stress it involves, it's not worth it just to do because you don't have anything else lined up.
Wouldn't be just for the sake of going. I'm very interested in law. I don't think I'd want to be a lawyer, but it's always been something I was interested in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I graduated in December of 2011, it was rough. I spent ~3-4 months looking for a job. I would say that if you have an opportunity for a job to take it and get some experience under your belt. At 2 years, as you can see by looking for jobs now, there will be MANY more job opportunities available. Just bite the bullet and take a job. You can always continue looking while you are working.

My gf took a job back home, switched jobs after about a year and a half, and then again after another 8 months, in that time she has gotten a $10,000 increase just by keeping her eyes open and looking for a good opportunity.

The main thing I can't stress enough is that while it may not be ideal, having something on your resume is 1000000x better than nothing. The "good" jobs are being taken by the people with experience who have lost their jobs. It's the way the market is going now.
Definitely sound advice, thanks. I've really got to buckle down and start thinking hard about this though, because the more time that passes the more going back to school becomes harder and harder.

Old
09-04-2012, 03:25 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

I too have applied to a bunch of places.

I can't even get a job in retail.

09-04-2012, 03:37 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post

Toy's R Us told me no

Old
09-04-2012, 03:44 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Basically what everyone else was saying. Inevitably you are going to need to use connections. I graduated with a business degree and also desperately wanted to work in sports. That idea died pretty quickly for me and I wound up getting a job with a pharmaceutical company.

Old
09-04-2012, 03:51 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Like Boyler said, at this point you're better off getting 9 months of experience at a "meh" job than you are waiting around 4-5 months for something perfect to land in your lap. If it's not exactly what you want to do, that's okay, just look at it as an opportunity to meet some people and maybe pick-up a skill or two.

I took a job banging out web-templates right out of school. Three months in, one of our clients asked me to join their start-up. Two years later, the start-up closed shop, but one of the former sales guys got me a job at a stable company that he had moved on to a year earlier. I've increased my salary by 120% since then, and now have 3 years of experience doing a wide range of things that make me more appealing.

Having a job doesn't prevent you from applying for new ones.

Old
09-04-2012, 04:24 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:

I had to use connections just to get a job at CVS

09-04-2012, 04:26 PM
Cresto
Much Disappoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
Waiting fr my writing course to start, I think my prof is frrom Canada.

Old
09-04-2012, 04:27 PM
boyle2boyle

I found what I thought at the time to be my "dream job" 3 months after graduating without having any connections. Now I'm about 6 months into working here and I can't stand it.

The point being don't stress so much about breaking into a particular industry; there are bad jobs everywhere and you won't really know where you fit until you try a few out. In the meantime, try to enjoy yourself and not stress too much about the job hunt. Not only will this help you to feel more confident and relaxed in interviews, but once you have a job that free time will be gone, so enjoy it

Old
09-04-2012, 04:28 PM
Cresto
Much Disappoint

Quote:

Gotta charm 'em.
Gotta throw the 15000+ posts on the resume.
You've got some international references too from the board

Last edited by Cresto: 09-04-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old
09-04-2012, 04:28 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post
I didn't imply hate.

Closed Thread