HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Around the LIIgue

Closed Thread

Old
09-04-2012, 01:51 PM
KISSland

vCash: 500
He's going to be a force next year.

Old
09-04-2012, 01:56 PM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Well have been captain a couple of times already (and A for the Tre kronor at the WC). It isn't like Avs have much to chose from either. I can imagine the older guys (not that old team, but still) standing up and rally around a younger captain.

Old
09-04-2012, 03:43 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
He's going to be a force next year.
But I picked him in my pool this year.

Old
09-04-2012, 04:03 PM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
But I picked him in my pool this year.
My mindset is that it's still summer and that the playoffs just ended lol.

I meant this year.

Old
09-04-2012, 05:17 PM
LiveeviL
No unique points

Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Quote:

I meant this year.
... as in last year?

Old
09-04-2012, 05:21 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

Quote:

I meant this year.
Good to hear then. I haven't won my pool ever, but I've come close.

Old
09-04-2012, 08:29 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveeviL View Post
Well have been captain a couple of times already (and A for the Tre kronor at the WC). It isn't like Avs have much to chose from either. I can imagine the older guys (not that old team, but still) standing up and rally around a younger captain.

He has all the hallmarks of what I'd want in a captain, skill, plays hard and plays both ends of the rink - a guy who can demand players follow his example. However, why the heck would a team inflict captaincy on such a young guy - it reeks of a stunt or of desperation. I'm not saying he can't do it, I'm not even saying he won't be good at it - but

* captains whine to refs, only he's going to be whining at refs like a teenager (cause he is). Think how young stars are perceived around these forums when they complain to the refs. Now it's his job to complain after every bad call against his team.

* Avs are still rebuilding - if they struggle this year - he'll be the one out there in the media getting grilled for their failure. Internal pressure of captaincy, pressure of facing the media, pressure of dealing with refs, all the while trying to clear his head and improve his game as he matures. If they have a bad patch and he's in a slump........

* I'm sure all the vets will "say the right things", but a 19yo-20yo ordering around vets and sorting out stuff is a different matter. Then you have his slightly older guys sub-25 who might be miffed.

Here's another way to look at it: if he was drafted 167th would he have been made captain? If you wouldn't make him captain if he was taken 167th - then you shouldn't make him captain now. IMHO he would not, being made captain because you are are a top 3 draft pick is not a good reason, it should come naturally. In 5 years it wouldn't matter where he was taken in the draft, he'd be captain on merit alone.

Old
09-05-2012, 11:02 AM
dave babych returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
* captains whine to refs, only he's going to be whining at refs like a teenager (cause he is). Think how young stars are perceived around these forums when they complain to the refs. Now it's his job to complain after every bad call against his team.
I think gritty players who can walk the walk when it comes to blue collar, lunchbucket hockey have a much easier time escaping this kind of criticism. Look at Jonathan Toews compared to Sidney Crosby, of course we dislike JT as Canucks fans (and as the lustre has come off his career as his team has disappointed over the last couple seasons) but I think across the league he's viewed as a bright young kid with class and respect.

Quote:
* Avs are still rebuilding - if they struggle this year - he'll be the one out there in the media getting grilled for their failure. Internal pressure of captaincy, pressure of facing the media, pressure of dealing with refs, all the while trying to clear his head and improve his game as he matures. If they have a bad patch and he's in a slump........
I do agree with this - it's a lot to ask of a young kid. That being said if they think he's got what it takes, it shouldn't be a major issue. The fact is that this team has one beat reporter and they don't feel the need to even bother with him for the most part, the pressure in Denver is not going to be intense.

In fact, putting a kid's face at the front of the franchise might further reduce pressure.. it emphasizes just where this team sees itself (in the middle of a rebuild, and likely a long way off from contention for the cup).

Quote:
* I'm sure all the vets will "say the right things", but a 19yo-20yo ordering around vets and sorting out stuff is a different matter. Then you have his slightly older guys sub-25 who might be miffed.
Yep. I would expect Avs management (if they are even remotely competent) are well aware that if players like Matt Duchene, Ryan O'Reilly and Paul Stastny - if they see themselves as leaders - would probably take this as a shot across the bow.

Perhaps that is bad for the team, particularly if Landeskog proceeds to act like an entitled little **** towards his teammates. But that doesn't seem terribly likely, and if players who think they deserved a shot at the C are actually captain material they will take this as motivation to improve and to take control of a stake in this team's on ice success - which can only be good for the Avalanche.

I'm not saying this is a "can't lose" proposition, but I do think it's different than a franchise in a large (and very interested) market with a core of veteran players and designs on winning the cup in the short term making the same type of move.

Old
09-05-2012, 11:32 AM
DennisReynolds
the implication

It really seems like teams are rewarding players with captaincy, rather than the players earning them.

Just out of curiosity, do you think guys like '10-'11 season Malhotra will be captains in the future NHL instead of young stars?

Old
09-05-2012, 06:34 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
I do agree with this - it's a lot to ask of a young kid. That being said if they think he's got what it takes, it shouldn't be a major issue. The fact is that this team has one beat reporter and they don't feel the need to even bother with him for the most part, the pressure in Denver is not going to be intense.

I'm not saying this is a "can't lose" proposition, but I do think it's different than a franchise in a large (and very interested) market with a core of veteran players and designs on winning the cup in the short term making the same type of move.
Hall seems like a heart and soul guy and he will be captain of that Edmonton soon enough (1-2 years). I don't praise the incompetently run Oilers for much but they made the right decision with Horcroff over the likes of Hall/Eberle and RNH during this rebuilding phase. Horcroff gets roasted for the teams bad play, his own form etc but while all that is happening Hall and co are just being allowed to be. Horcroff is the perfect fill in, good team player, experienced but also someone that can/will step aside when Hall is ready.

In politics, after you lose an election the losing leader usually quits. The a new opposition leader comes in - that person(s) usually is going nowhere fast and basically just holds down the job and is unpopular, then after a few years they are to make a push and they put up their best leader. That's Horcoffs role with the Oilers - just keeping Halls seat warm. If the Oilers improve next year I wouldn't be surprised to see Hall take over in 2013, he got a bit more experience, long contract etc.

I think they should have given Landeskog another couple of years to prove himself to establish himself.

Last edited by me2: 09-05-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old
09-05-2012, 06:48 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
Hall seems like a heart and soul guy and he will be captain of that Edmonton soon enough (1-2 years). I don't praise the incompetently run Oilers for much but they made the right decision with Horcroff over the likes of Hall/Eberle and RNH during this rebuilding phase. Horcroff gets roasted for the teams bad play, his own form etc but while all that is happening Hall and co are just being allowed to be. Horcroff is the perfect fill in, good team player, experienced but also someone that can/will step aside when Hall is ready.
Horcoff was named captain 2 years ago, before Hall, Eberle, RNH ever played a game for the Oilers. Of course he would be named captain over those 3.

Quote:
I think they should have given Landeskog another couple of years to prove himself to establish himself.
Maybe, but it's one of those things that could turn a franchise around. If the front office thinks that Landeskog is ready, and I have no reason to doubt thier judgement, then he should be captain. Presumably, all the veteran leaders on the team (whoever they have), knew this was coming and probably endorsed it. So it's not really a big deal.

Old
09-05-2012, 09:20 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck87 View Post
Horcoff was named captain 2 years ago, before Hall, Eberle, RNH ever played a game for the Oilers. Of course he would be named captain over those 3.
And every they he get named captain again, over Hall and all the rest. Edmonton is refusing to rushing their young guys in to captaincy. Smartest thing they have done.

Quote:
Maybe, but it's one of those things that could turn a franchise around. If the front office thinks that Landeskog is ready, and I have no reason to doubt thier judgement, then he should be captain. Presumably, all the veteran leaders on the team (whoever they have), knew this was coming and probably endorsed it. So it's not really a big deal.
It's probably not, but as you mentioned this seems to be more about turning perception of a franchise around.

Old
09-05-2012, 10:26 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
And every they he get named captain again, over Hall and all the rest. Edmonton is refusing to rushing their young guys in to captaincy. Smartest thing they have done.
I don't get your line of reasoning. Do the Canucks have to "name" a captain every season?

It would be completely wrong for the Oilers to strip Horcoff of the "C", or ask him to relinquish it. As far as I know, he's been absolutely nothing but class.

Old
09-05-2012, 11:21 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck87 View Post
I don't get your line of reasoning. Do the Canucks have to "name" a captain every season?
Captaincy should be up for internal review every offseason. Happy with performance, other players happy? Better guy? The future?

Quote:
It would be completely wrong for the Oilers to strip Horcoff of the "C", or ask him to relinquish it. As far as I know, he's been absolutely nothing but class.
That's kind of my point, Horcroff is doing a fine job. Deep down the Oilers management must be itching to hand over captaincy to one of the future, probably Hall, but they are doing a really good job of not doing it prematurely. I believe Hall will take the captaincy when he is ready and it is obvious (2 years imho), it's not something that is going to be handed to him out of necessity.

Last edited by me2: 09-05-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old
09-09-2012, 01:59 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡° ᴥ͡°)

It looks like Byfuglien gained a little bit of weight...

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Old
09-09-2012, 02:18 PM
Edler Von Gud

Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post

he looks like he just ate Patrick Kane.

Old
09-09-2012, 02:24 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

Quote:

Jesus H Christ is that not shopped?

Old
09-09-2012, 02:28 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡° ᴥ͡°)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Jesus H Christ is that not shopped?
I bet the Jets hope that's shopped

Old
09-09-2012, 02:49 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

Quote:
I bet the Jets hope that's shopped
He almost doesn't even look like the same person.

Old
09-09-2012, 02:55 PM
Proto

It's not shopped. I think it deserves its own thread.

Old
09-09-2012, 03:53 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:

I'm afraid to click the pic to its full size.

And that's 5,000

Old
09-09-2012, 03:54 PM
ubiquitous
More like Shredder

What?! For his sake, he better hope there is a lockout. Jeeeeeez.

Old
09-09-2012, 03:56 PM
Tiranis

Haha, oh boy. But to be fair, that's a picture from July and he pretty much gets into that kind of "shape" every off-season. He's been pretty good about losing it for the start of the season in the last few years, so I doubt that's how he looks right now.

Old
09-09-2012, 04:00 PM
Edler Von Gud

Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
should change the thread title to "a round the league".

sigh...if only Luongo had a pack of steaks he could throw to get that fat ass out of his crease.

Old
09-09-2012, 04:22 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Haha, oh boy. But to be fair, that's a picture from July and he pretty much gets into that kind of "shape" every off-season. He's been pretty good about losing it for the start of the season in the last few years, so I doubt that's how he looks right now.
Yeah, last year he was 286 when he was arrested. I have to say though, that looks like more than 286. He plays about 250 and that looks like a lot more than an extra 30 pounds. No playoff hockey = 300 pound Byfuglien,

I'm sure he can get back in shape, but he could be such a great player in the league if he just had the desire to work harder. Reminds me of Keith Tkachuk after the last lockout.

Closed Thread