HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Lockout Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-04-2012, 08:16 AM
BBKers

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Which side will call the other side? The holiday weekend is over. CBA expires in 11 days. Camps are supposed to open in 17 days. Season is supposed to open 5 weeks from this Thursday. Bob McKenzie and Pierre LeBrun are returning from vacation today. They know what's going on.

LeBrun wrote a column on the CBA on October 1,2010.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/previe...rre&id=5636853

Guy knows his stuff.
Good points RB
I think that the league can get at least 3 of these above points fullfilled in a new CBA in a way that the NHLPA could accept. Technicalities aside, this is not an impossible matter to solve imo. Thereafter it is "just" a matter of negotiations to adjust the numbers to get a deal done. But then again - if nobody is meeting and negotiating as is now the case - obviously no deal will get done... Time will tell. Boring...................

Old
09-04-2012, 08:28 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
You want to get even more honest? Us regular schlubs fuel the market that the owners and players are currently arguing over. So, unless you're willing to stop buying the merchandise, stop watching the games, and stop going to the arenas (when hockey is eventually back), what right do we have to complain about this? We are the market makers - we are all supplying the demand for this argument. And anyone that takes the time to come on here and complain about it just wants the game to come back, they wont be abandoning it when it does.
Honestly, I've taken steps to do just that. I used to be a season ticket holder until the prices got out of reach. Then, I used to split plans with people. Now, I go to a 2-3 games a year. As far as merchandise goes, it's a non-factor - I don't buy all that much. The only way I support the NHL is through Center Ice because I love to watch hockey all season long.

I won't abandon the NHL or the NYR the way I did major league baseball. But I've downsized considerably over the years despite the fact that I love the sport.

Old
09-04-2012, 08:34 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
It's hard....I mean really hard for me to get my head around the fact that the NHL will be doing this to itself for the second time in ten years.
That is what I find head scratching. How could any owner line up for two canceled seasons within 9 years? The NHL is only just now beginning to recover from teh last time. For them to do it again, seems cutting off the nose to spite the face. Where will they find a way to generate revenue this time?

Bettman cannot possibly think that his legacy, as the only commissioner in any sport to loose two season within his tenure shall be golder? And if you are an owner, how can you support two lost seasons within 9 years? Further, how can you tolerate a commissioner that has a work stoppage every time a CBA expires? I would think that Bettman would be fired if they loose another season.

The NHLPA hired Fehr for a reason. And that reason is not to go gently into that good night this time around. The owners bent them over backwards last time and basically got everything that they wanted. And now, they are crying poverty again. Meanwhile Webber gets a $120 dollar deal and teh Wild spend $192 on two players.

Old
09-04-2012, 08:53 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post

Typical east coast thinking I guess. LV is near AZ and Glendale is in AZ, so therefore they're close enough to remain as a fan base. The distance is slightly less than Philadelphia to Boston. No one would ever make that kind of argument there. A hockey fan in Phoenix would be just as likely to switch to the Kings or Ducks as stick with their former Coyotes.

Beyond that, the idea that somehow a market in the desert of less than 2m people, with a boom and bust tourism industry currently in bust, is more suitable for a hockey team than a market in the desert of more than twice the population is pretty hilarious.

There are four markets out there that should never run into issues were they to get a team. They are Seattle, Portland, Quebec City and Houston. And honestly, Atlanta with a dedicated ownership group would be fine too, but we don't have to go too far into that. Every one of those places will run into issues if they have ownership like the Atlanta Spirit Group or sign a lease like what happened in Glendale. Simply up and moving teams to "better" markets doesn't guarantee, by a long shot, that the teams are going to do well where you put them.
Typical "east coast"?

The league tried Kansas City before and thats why it won't work now? How about: Pittsburgh, Philadeplhia, Ottawa, Winnepeg, Atlanta, Denver, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Oakland(LA/Anaheim)...

And yea, moving a team to a more viable market could help the franchise's health.

Old
09-04-2012, 09:01 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
They already tried Kansas City once. It didn't work. I have serious doubts about the viability of Las Vegas. Seattle doesn't have an arena. Quebec is still building theirs.
See above.

Seattle doesn't have an arena? Where did the Sonics play? They may have left but, it looks like the city MAY soon be prepared to build a new near 500 million dollar arena. If things go right.

http://mobile.slate.com/articles/spo..._be_true_.html

Old
09-04-2012, 09:17 AM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
See above.

Seattle doesn't have an arena? Where did the Sonics play? They may have left but, it looks like the city MAY soon be prepared to build a new near 500 million dollar arena. If things go right.

I may be mistaken but didn't the Super Sonics reach out to the NHL? If that was true, that was a great blunder by Bettman.

Old
09-04-2012, 09:41 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

They would need an agreement by the week before Halloween to play on November 23. Halloween at the latest. From: @MurphysLaw74
Sent: Sep 4, 2012 10:36a

Just spoke to three NHL players and growing feeling that NHL has 'Black Friday' game between BOS/NYR 11/23 "circled" as first game.

sent via TweetDeck
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/MurphysLaw74/stat...94619791581185

Old
09-04-2012, 09:43 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Thanksgiving is very early this year. Fourth Thursday of November is Thanksgiving. Its takes some time for the lawyers to write the agreement and then each party looks it over. They might fight over clarification of certain sentences. There would need to be time for a 15-20 camp.Camps open the first week of November. First game is November 23.

Last edited by RangerBoy: 09-04-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old
09-04-2012, 09:55 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
They would need an agreement by the week before Halloween to play on November 23. Halloween at the latest. From: @MurphysLaw74
Sent: Sep 4, 2012 10:36a

Just spoke to three NHL players and growing feeling that NHL has 'Black Friday' game between BOS/NYR 11/23 "circled" as first game.

sent via TweetDeck
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/MurphysLaw74/stat...94619791581185
A much better outcome than having the first game in December/January.

Old
09-04-2012, 10:32 AM
IBleedNYRBlue

Bettman is making a mockery of this league, once again.

The fact there is 11 ****ing DAYS....ELEVEN until the CBA expires, 5 weeks util the season is intended to start, and these buffoons are having casual meetings shows how much they really want to get a deal done. Really pathetic.

Old
09-04-2012, 11:03 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Typical "east coast"?

The league tried Kansas City before and thats why it won't work now? How about: Pittsburgh, Philadeplhia, Ottawa, Winnepeg, Atlanta, Denver, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Oakland(LA/Anaheim)...

And yea, moving a team to a more viable market could help the franchise's health.
I never said KC couldn't work again. I didn't list them because they're less of a sure bet than the others.

And moving a franchise could help, but that's a far cry from will help.

People in the northeast tend to forget how large, in terms of distance, the west really is. That's all I meant with that.

Old
09-04-2012, 11:05 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
See above.

The Sonics old arena is not viable for a long term NHL team. I think it seats 13,000 for hockey with limited luxury boxes.

Old
09-04-2012, 11:28 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

atlanta could absolutely support an NHL team...the problems have beeen ownership related...the Thrashers were the worst run team in sports...if you dont know about their ownership history, the belkin issues, etc you guys should really read up on it:
http://blogs.ajc.com/jeff-schultz-bl...iven-a-chance/

Old
09-04-2012, 11:33 AM
turcotte8

Chris Botta ‏@ChrisBottaNHL

AHL has spoken with NBC Sports Net and regional sports networks about broadcasting games in event of an NHL lockout

The AHL has a deal in place with Sportsnet in Canada for additional game broadcasts if there is an NHL lockout.

Old
09-04-2012, 11:46 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post

AHL has spoken with NBC Sports Net and regional sports networks about broadcasting games in event of an NHL lockout

The AHL has a deal in place with Sportsnet in Canada for additional game broadcasts if there is an NHL lockout.
Good idea... get to see some hockey at least.

Old
09-04-2012, 01:24 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:

Awesome

Old
09-04-2012, 01:35 PM
Pizza

Quote:

Good to know as that will be the only chance we get to see our better younger players.

Old
09-04-2012, 02:07 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Ron MacLean thinks there won't be a lockout:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...n-maclean.html

Old
09-04-2012, 02:19 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
The Sonics old arena is not viable for a long term NHL team. I think it seats 13,000 for hockey with limited luxury boxes.
There is discussion about the Islanders moving to the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, its about that size.

And i don't believe the Islanders can survive long in Brooklyn. They have been located outside New York City, moving into Brooklyn, which is Rangers territory, is not smart.

Old
09-04-2012, 02:21 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

So they didn't meet today. Wonderful sense of urgency.

Old
09-04-2012, 02:50 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
There is discussion about the Islanders moving to the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, its about that size.

And i don't believe the Islanders can survive long in Brooklyn. They have been located outside New York City, moving into Brooklyn, which is Rangers territory, is not smart.
Our LI brethren will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Mausoleum is a pain to get to from the LIRR whereas the Barclays Center sits literally on TOP of the 3rd largest hub on the system(just like MSG sits on top of Penn Station). The Barclays Center will also have all the modern amenities such as luxury suites which are key to revenue production. Throw in the instant access as a new hometown team to the population of a borough that would be the 3rd or 4th largest city in the country if it wasn't part of NYC...?

I'm not so sure you're correct there, SSM. Especially if they rename the mascot and change the uniforms with the move. I grant you that moving into Rangers territory presents a significant problem, but then again the Nets seem to be having no trouble wedging their way in.

Honestly, if the capacity wasn't an issue this would be my strong preference as a Plan B over the Lighthouse project if I were Wang.

Old
09-04-2012, 03:01 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The NHLPA are holding player meetings in Manhattan on September 12 and 13. The NHL BOG will having their meeting here at the same time next Thursday.

French translation of an article by Ren Lavoie

Quote:
It may, however, attend a show next week in New York. Not only the players' association held an emergency meeting on 12 and 13 September with its members at a hotel in Times Square, the NHL will have its annual meeting of the Board of Governors, always in the same town, and two days September 15, the deadline for initiating a lockout.
http://translate.google.com/translat...47575%2Fpublic

Last edited by RangerBoy: 09-04-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old
09-04-2012, 03:07 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Our LI brethren will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Mausoleum is a pain to get to from the LIRR whereas the Barclays Center sits literally on TOP of the 3rd largest hub on the system(just like MSG sits on top of Penn Station). The Barclays Center will also have all the modern amenities such as luxury suites which are key to revenue production. Throw in the instant access as a new hometown team to the population of a borough that would be the 3rd or 4th largest city in the country if it wasn't part of NYC...?

I'm not so sure you're correct there, SSM. Especially if they rename the mascot and change the uniforms with the move. I grant you that moving into Rangers territory presents a significant problem, but then again the Nets seem to be having no trouble wedging their way in.

Honestly, if the capacity wasn't an issue this would be my strong preference as a Plan B over the Lighthouse project if I were Wang.
You are absolutely right.

Besides being an absolute dump, the Coliseum is a nightmare to get to. Theres virtually no public transportation whatsoever.

My friend lives across the street from the Barclays center and nearly every subway line stops there. More importantly, the Atlantic Terminal LIRR stop is about 100 yards from the new building. You can get there from anywhere on Long Island in about an hour or so.

Old
09-04-2012, 03:08 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Ron MacLean doesn't believe there will be a lockout

Quote:
Times have changed. The owners face losing 7.1 per cent revenue growth and the profits that entails.

I want to thank Rod Fort, economics professor at University of Michigan, as always for his guiding hand in dissecting the game we're in. As Fort points out, Fehr has been in precisely this position many times at the MLBPA. Every time the PA stood its ground, there was never a lockout. The wildcard would be player solidarity. Fehr will keep them in check, and Bettman will make a deal.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...n-maclean.html

Only time that ever happened was in 2002. It wasn't a lockout. Fehr threatened to take the players out on strike and a CBA was struck at the last minute after two days of marathon negotiating.

Old
09-04-2012, 03:14 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
League source indicated to me that the NHL as a whole is losing a significant amount of money.
https://twitter.com/RenLavoieRDS/sta...78659492167680

The NHL is claiming they lost $240M in the last 2 years.

Closed Thread