HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jamie Benn

Old
09-04-2012, 11:36 AM
Mystifo
No more Mr.FightGuy

vCash: 500
I would like to point out to everyone I did not intend for people to read my post as. "Benn must be avail as he is not signed." All I was wondering is how the situation was going. I have not heard any news on the guy in a long time and was wondering if a lockout was holding up the contract from being signed. I mean it would make sense if it was a lockout causing it.

Mystifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 01:09 PM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
He's worth far more to the Stars than any team could be reasonably expected to give up. Why? because he's the only player in the Stars organization that projects to be a 1st line center(and he's already there)

On its own, its already pretty good. When you factor in his age, his size, his talent leve, the linemates he had to play with at times, and his lack of PP time, that kind of production is great.

Pretty sure I didnt say he is a point a game player. Again, good try though.

For sure 50-60 point players? And you think most people would agree with that? That is such a ridiculously homerific statement.

Plenty of players get drafted in the first round with the intent on them becoming 2nd/3rd line players. You cant expect every 1st round pick to be a 1st line player. It just doesnt work like that.

Thats great. the fact remains that the Stars prospect pool has several Chris Tanev's. There's no need to trade our 1s line center for another one.
Ok man when Benn was drafted in 2007 with the 129th pick in the draft did you or anyone else think he would be a first line player and a "Allstar" I'd say no Kass and Gaunce were first players and your trying to say they can't be first line players ever well give your heads a shake...Benn was a big surprise and has growed past his potential and past what people thought a kid would be drafted 129 no one thought any thing of him when he was drafted that far down in proposals on this site he would have been a nobody 4 years ago...Kass and Gaunce were drafted 9th overall and 26th overall in the FIRST Round not in the fifth and for you guys to think there just going to be iffy 3rd liners is just stupid

Spitsfan67* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 01:26 PM
Chaos
3, 2, 1

Send a message via MSN to Chaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
Ok man when Benn was drafted in 2007 with the 129th pick in the draft did you or anyone else think he would be a first line player and a "Allstar"
Of course no one expected that. That would be a ridiculous assumption to make.

Quote:
I'd say no Kass and Gaunce were first players and your trying to say they can't be first line players ever well give your heads a shake...
Do you honestly think that every player picked in the first round is expected to become a 1st line player? Come on now. thats the exception, not the rule.

Quote:
Kass and Gaunce were drafted 9th overall and 26th overall in the FIRST Round not in the fifth and for you guys to think there just going to be iffy 3rd liners is just stupid
No, its stupid that you think that just because a guy was picked in the first round he's automatically going to be a 1st liner. Most players picke din the first round simply dont have the ability to turn into 1st line players.

Hell, the Stars took Radek Faksa 13th overall this past draft. Most Stars fans would be very happy if he turns into a 50-60 point two way 2nd line center. Just because he was picked in the 1st round doesnt mean we should expect him to turn into a 1st line player.

now, I'll ask a 3rd time(and keep asking until you actually answer it). Say Nieuwendyk makes that trade, and the season starts on time. Who plays center for the Stars on opening night?

-Vagrant
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 02:14 PM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

Quote:
Ok man when Benn was drafted in 2007 with the 129th pick in the draft did you or anyone else think he would be a first line player and a "Allstar" I'd say no Kass and Gaunce were first players and your trying to say they can't be first line players ever well give your heads a shake...Benn was a big surprise and has growed past his potential and past what people thought a kid would be drafted 129 no one thought any thing of him when he was drafted that far down in proposals on this site he would have been a nobody 4 years ago...Kass and Gaunce were drafted 9th overall and 26th overall in the FIRST Round not in the fifth and for you guys to think there just going to be iffy 3rd liners is just stupid
I'll offer Nystrom (10th overall) 16 goals last year and 12 more than Kassian, Glennie (8th overall) - good year in the in minors is pretty well NHL ready so further along the development curve than Guance, and Fistric (28th overall) - solid, zero offense hard hitting Dman very comparable to Tanev

for

Kesler

Same logic... 2 top 10 overall draft picks and a nothing defenseman should land you someone really good and proven. Our 2 top 10 picks can still be first liners, Fistric might get more than 2 assists next year and Kesler is only a second liner anyway, he's overachieved too, so we good?

It's silly.

Like you say, 4 years ago, no one knew about Benn. He's come from playing for Victoria in the BCJHL to being the centerpiece of the Stars franchise. You couldn't put value enough on that type of development, nor could you put together enough value in assets on what the next 5 years leading into to his prime might look like for Benn. You don't trade a special player... it would be stupid.

Karitimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 02:17 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Both sides have stated they'll wait until after the new CBA. Same thing as Subban, Carlson, etc.

Awesome job at jumping to conclusions.
Why rolling your eyes? I thought he did a fine jumpin job.

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 02:48 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
This is a joke right?

Draft location doesn't indicate potential. Who cares that few people knew who he was back then, everyone knows who he is now and he's a superstar in the making.

You're still on this insane notion that since they were drafted high they must have 1st line potential. No they don't. Kassian was thought to possibly have that at the time but no one who know's anything about Kassian would think that now. His offensive talent didn't take that next step, and he's firmly in the 2nd/3rd line potential now. Gaunce when picked was thought to possibly to be a second line two-way centre, those guys are valuable but they rarely exceed 50 points. Think Mike Fisher.

Tom Wilsoin went 16th overall this year, there isn't a single person in their right mind that thinks he has 1st line potential. The Capitals clearly hope he can turn into a Lucic type player but even that is a strech.

Kassian and Gaunce do look like future 3rd liners, and their draft position is not a very good arguement against.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 03:13 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystifo View Post
I would like to point out to everyone I did not intend for people to read my post as. "Benn must be avail as he is not signed." All I was wondering is how the situation was going. I have not heard any news on the guy in a long time and was wondering if a lockout was holding up the contract from being signed. I mean it would make sense if it was a lockout causing it.
You haven't heard any news because there hasn't been any. It's just a holding pattern until a new CBA gets signed. Nieuwendyk has said repeatedly that the team wants to see what the new rules are going to be first rather than just guessing. It's certainly true that other teams have taken different approaches with their RFAs.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 03:54 PM
Primetimey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karitimes View Post
I'll offer Nystrom (10th overall) 16 goals last year and 12 more than Kassian, Glennie (8th overall) - good year in the in minors is pretty well NHL ready so further along the development curve than Guance, and Fistric (28th overall) - solid, zero offense hard hitting Dman very comparable to Tanev

for

Kesler
Golden post.

Primetimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 05:14 PM
Mystifo
No more Mr.FightGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
You haven't heard any news because there hasn't been any. It's just a holding pattern until a new CBA gets signed. Nieuwendyk has said repeatedly that the team wants to see what the new rules are going to be first rather than just guessing. It's certainly true that other teams have taken different approaches with their RFAs.
Alright I am satisfied with that and thank you.

/thread

Mystifo is offline   Reply With Quote