HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Article on Luongo practices this morning and greatly favors return to Panthers

Closed Thread

Old
09-04-2012, 03:32 PM
KaraLupin
카라

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
He hasn't started more than 43 games in any of the last 5 seasons, that's hardly the workload of someone that is close to being ready to take the reigns of an NHL team.
Okay Cory Schneider......

Old
09-04-2012, 03:32 PM
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
he made his feelings known awhile ago on this so it is not really new--it just confirms and reinterates what was previously stated. The problem was and is that the Panthers have made it clear they will not give up what the canucks are asking for.

Old
09-04-2012, 03:33 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan View Post
thanks for clarifying that -- good to have insider info like that.

primadonna line is way off-base. It's just us keyboard jockeys that have made this into a bigger issue than it is, not Luongo.

I thought this guy had an interesting take --

Jeff Angus ‏@anguscertified
Luongo did Mike Gillis a huge favor today regarding exploring other possibilities than FLA.

clearly in reference to this addendum to his comment that Fla would be nice to return to:

"That being said. There's obvious other options as well. This is a preferred location for obvious reasons but I'm not shutting the door on other possibilities if it comes up.''
No need for insider info when Luongo is publicly discussing where else he will be playing.

There are always other options because I am sure that Gillis will let Luongo rot rather than have one team to negotiate with.

Old
09-04-2012, 03:34 PM
Boltsfan2029

vCash: 698
Quote:
I thought this guy had an interesting take --

Jeff Angus ‏@anguscertified
Luongo did Mike Gillis a huge favor today regarding exploring other possibilities than FLA.

clearly in reference to this addendum to his comment that Fla would be nice to return to:

"That being said. There's obvious other options as well. This is a preferred location for obvious reasons but I'm not shutting the door on other possibilities if it comes up.''
Somehow, I think Gillis has been aware of this from the get-go.

Old
09-04-2012, 03:34 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
yeah? You're a Kings fan right?

Still feel that way?
How did they not live up to their contracts?

Old
09-04-2012, 04:04 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
How did they not live up to their contracts?
living up to their contracts wasn't what he said though, it was living "with" them was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag925 View Post
Am I the only one itching for a Luongo trade to see what Roberto's new mask art will be? LOL He's been wearing those hideous Seahawks colors long enough. Time to see him in something new (or old ).
Ok these are fighting words!

I personally have loved the majority of his masks since he has been in Vancouver. His first one was my favorite

Old
09-04-2012, 04:05 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
He's a prospect at least 3 years away from being a full-time starter, and he's had some knee issues.
I can tell you he's not at least three years away. He needs to get a chance.

Old
09-04-2012, 04:13 PM
intangible

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
I can tell you he's not at least three years away. He needs to get a chance.
As another poster accurately stated, if the guy can't even make it through 50 AHL games, how on earth is he even remotely ready at the NHL level? He might be good enough, but the injury bug takes him out every time. I see his future with Florida being more as trade bait than anything.

Old
09-04-2012, 04:51 PM
NYVanfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
There are always other options because I am sure that Gillis will let Luongo rot rather than have one team to negotiate with.
in the event of continued stalemate, pretty sure he'll go back and split time with Schneider, staying in shape for when the trade does come down, rather than rot.

Quote:
Somehow, I think Gillis has been aware of this from the get-go.
Aware that he's not shutting the door on other possibilities if they come up?
Maybe, but this is the first we're hearing about it, and good news if true

Old
09-04-2012, 05:02 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Could be helped greatly by being eased into the league behind a vet starter who can lessen the pressure on him and mentor him, IMO. Though it would eventually stink for Florida when they end up with a $5mil back-up, like the Nucks right now.
Having two number one goalies doesn't really "stink" for Vancouver. Some teams don't have one! Prospects don't always develop the way you thought, especially goalies. If he works out well, you go with the one you're comfortable with and exchange the other for assets. Similar to what Vancouver is doing now.

Old
09-04-2012, 05:04 PM
I in the Eye

Lu, we have one serious offer from Columbus... Would you like to go to Columbus, or wait?

Old
09-04-2012, 05:16 PM
WinterEmpire
Praise Dalpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by I in the Eye View Post
Lu, we have one serious offer from Columbus... Would you like to go to Columbus, or wait?
I have a hard time picturing what kind of offer from Columbus that Gillis would consider. They don't really have any kind of assets they would be really willing to trade anymore now that Nash is gone.

Old
09-04-2012, 05:19 PM
Boltsfan2029

vCash: 698
Quote:
Aware that he's not shutting the door on other possibilities if they come up?
Maybe, but this is the first we're hearing about it, and good news if true
OK, maybe I'm out of the loop. Has Luongo previously said he would only consider Florida? I'm working from the assumption that he never said that, but I could be wrong. If I am, well, that makes my post moot. I had only seen quotes where he spoke vaguely about Florida being one possibility, but... I don't remember exactly, it was an interview that was quoted extensively in one of the bazillion Luongo trade threads.

Anyway, I'd just think that way back when Gillis and Luongo had their chat about it being best that Luongo move on, and at least during the rampant Toronto rumors, the two men discussed which of the 29 other teams in the league Luongo would be willing to consider. Would seem it would be a logical question Gillis would ask when Luongo agreed he was willing to waive his NTC.

Old
09-04-2012, 05:20 PM
I in the Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterEmpire View Post
I have a hard time picturing what kind of offer from Columbus that Gillis would consider. They don't really have any kind of assets they would be really willing to trade anymore now that Nash is gone.
I think right now Gillis will probably get the most serious offers from teams that need a #1, right now... The teams that need a #1 do change though, with time... Which team who needs a #1 right now has assets that Gillis would consider? Edmonton?

Lu, we have one serious offer from Edmonton... Would you like to go to Edmonton, or wait?

Old
09-04-2012, 05:39 PM
archangel archangel

vCash: 50
Florida has Markstrom in the system, a built in cap restriction and are not in a win now mode. Luongo needs to realize that Florida is not a good fit

Old
09-04-2012, 05:44 PM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 5100
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrazycanuck View Post
Florida has Markstrom in the system, a built in cap restriction and are not in a win now mode. Luongo needs to realize that Florida is not a good fit
Tallon would definitely want to have Luongo, he just wouldn't want to give up significant futures to get him. The question is how much more than Florida are other teams willing to give.

Old
09-04-2012, 05:44 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
He hasn't started more than 43 games in any of the last 5 seasons, that's hardly the workload of someone that is close to being ready to take the reigns of an NHL team.
Thats a fair point again, I am just saying that should he have a healthy season (this year) I can't see why he is 3 years out.

Old
09-04-2012, 05:45 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraLupin View Post
Okay Cory Schneider......
Cory played 62 games in 09/10.

Old
09-04-2012, 05:49 PM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterEmpire View Post
There's a lot CBJ could offer...

From a selfish Canucks POV:

To VAN: Dubinsky + Erixon/Moore + LAK 1st + NYR 1st
To CBJ: Luongo + Raymond

CBJ upgrades in goal which would give it what it needs to potentially make the playoffs and doesn't really take anything off its roster...Dubinsky for Raymond might be a wash in terms of production.

VAN gets Dubinsky to play with Kesler and Booth (where Raymond hasn't fit), a #8 dman who can be called up from the minors as well as the pieces needed to go get another solid deadline acquisition when teams start falling out (i.e. they will have three tradeable 1sts).

Old
09-04-2012, 05:50 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan2029 View Post
Anyway, I'd just think that way back when Gillis and Luongo had their chat about it being best that Luongo move on, and at least during the rampant Toronto rumors, the two men discussed which of the 29 other teams in the league Luongo would be willing to consider. Would seem it would be a logical question Gillis would ask when Luongo agreed he was willing to waive his NTC.
It would seem prudent to have the CBA figured out and interest verified before narrowing down the field. Luongo may not be thrilled about playing in Columbus, but if that's the only team interested enough to give up something for him and the CBA, along with their roster moves, have them moving in the right direction he would have to consider it.

I don't think Luongo is going to force the Canucks into a lesser deal to go somewhere convient. I think Luongo still feels like he's an elite goalie and wants to go somewhere that wants to have him, not somewhere that takes him on because they got a good deal.

Old
09-04-2012, 05:51 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by I in the Eye View Post
I think right now Gillis will probably get the most serious offers from teams that need a #1, right now... The teams that need a #1 do change though, with time... Which team who needs a #1 right now has assets that Gillis would consider? Edmonton?

Lu, we have one serious offer from Edmonton... Would you like to go to Edmonton, or wait?
Edmonton stays as far away as they can from Luongo and Gillis would be an idiot to trade within his division.

Old
09-04-2012, 05:51 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post

This is what derails the discussion and gives Canuck fans a bad name around here. That deal doesn't make sense for the Jackets, they're giving up way too much youth.

Old
09-04-2012, 05:53 PM
nhlfan9191

If the CBA goes down to 58 million, I think our interest in Luongo will go down significantly.

Old
09-04-2012, 05:56 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post

CBJ upgrades in goal which would give it what it needs to potentially make the playoffs and doesn't really take anything off its roster...Dubinsky for Raymond might be a wash in terms of production.

VAN gets Dubinsky to play with Kesler and Booth (where Raymond hasn't fit), a #8 dman who can be called up from the minors as well as the pieces needed to go get another solid deadline acquisition when teams start falling out (i.e. they will have three tradeable 1sts).
If Columbus did that, they would have nobody. Not even Luongo could keep them out of 15th in the west.

Old
09-04-2012, 05:56 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Really? Because there is no way he's going to play for the Canucks ever again.
I wouldn't count on that. If I had to bet one way or another, I'd say Luongo is suited up to start the season as a Canuck.

Closed Thread