HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Article on Luongo practices this morning and greatly favors return to Panthers

Closed Thread

Old
09-04-2012, 05:56 PM
Bleach Clean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
There's a lot CBJ could offer...

From a selfish Canucks POV:

To VAN: Dubinsky + Erixon/Moore + LAK 1st + NYR 1st
To CBJ: Luongo + Raymond

Even that much and I'd be satisfied as a Canuck fan... CLB most definitely has the pieces to get something done. Just depends on how bad Lu wants to be a clear-cut starter, and how resistant he is to returning a Canuck... At least to start the season.

Old
09-04-2012, 05:57 PM
I in the Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
It would seem prudent to have the CBA figured out and interest verified before narrowing down the field. Luongo may not be thrilled about playing in Columbus, but if that's the only team interested enough to give up something for him and the CBA along with their roster moves have them moving in the right direction he would have to consider it.

I don't think Luongo is going to force the Canucks into a lesser deal to go somewhere convent. I think Luongo still feels like he's an elite goalie and wants to go somewhere that wants to have him, not somewhere that takes him on because they got a good deal.
Not only that, but Luongo isn't "free"... Other teams can't express their interest in him (being Canuck property)... Gillis can and should keep him abreast of the situation, but if there's only real interest ("money where your mouth is" interest) coming from the likes of Columbus and Edmonton, those are the options before Luongo... The possibilities from which he can choose from... He can go there, or he can choose not to... I'm sure Gillis would work really hard to send Luongo to Florida (if that's his preference), but if serious interest isn't there right now, it's just not there right now... Luongo can wait until serious interest is there from Florida, or go to the other possibilities put before him... and staying in Vancouver for a while longer (until other things open up) is a possibility before him, as well...

Last edited by I in the Eye: 09-04-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old
09-04-2012, 06:01 PM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Thats a fair point again, I am just saying that should he have a healthy season (this year) I can't see why he is 3 years out.
This year in the AHL, next year he'd play backup in the NHL to ensure that he can face NHL level shooters. If that goes well, he'd be a starter the year after that (i.e. 3 years). If there's any adjustment period you are looking at 4 years and he'll be a year away from UFA by then if the rules don't change.

Trusting a goalie with no NHL experience to be your full-time starter is a recipe for disaster, especially if you have intentions of actually being competitive.

In a certain respect the Canucks were lucky that Schneider was a backup last year, if he put up his stats while playing 50-60 games, he probably would be asking for a contract with a cap hit higher than Luongo's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Even that much and I'd be satisfied as a Canuck fan... CLB most definitely has the pieces to get something done. Just depends on how bad Lu wants to be a clear-cut starter, and how resistant he is to returning a Canuck... At least to start the season.
Just Moore + LAK 1st would make us a significantly worse team now and not really give us good options for the future (i.e. trade deadline). I don't make the trade because it really doesn't help us. This changes if we need to make room for Doan or something like that.

Old
09-04-2012, 06:02 PM
I in the Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Edmonton stays as far away as they can from Luongo and Gillis would be an idiot to trade within his division.
Oh, it is so on... This thread now has wings... The possibilities... Fly thread... Fly...

Old
09-04-2012, 06:11 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
If the CBA goes down to 58 million, I think our interest in Luongo will go down significantly.
If the Cap goes down I would think a top 10 goalie with a cap hit that is lower then what he actually makes would be a good thing.... no?

Old
09-04-2012, 06:13 PM
harv3317

fl. says no to luongo. reasons. we have a good, cheap goalie situation with theo and clemmer and markstrom in the wings. theo will resign on the cheap if requested. luongo's contract is atrocious for fl. who is looking to build with it's young prospects. i just don't see the fit for fl., even though luongo keeps pushing the panthers as his primary destination.

Old
09-04-2012, 06:14 PM
DJOpus

Quote:
This is what derails the discussion and gives Canuck fans a bad name around here. That deal doesn't make sense for the Jackets, they're giving up way too much youth.
It's classic quantity for quality.

The team hasn't been able to address their goaltending despite having one of the highest payrolls in the league last year. Their inability to get goaltending has resulted in losing which has resulted in them losing their best players. You can't develop players by losing all the time - you need to start winning to make the games mean something (just look at players when they leave CBJ - Jeff Carter).

Johnson - Tyutin
Nikitin - Wisniewski
Murray - Aucoin

Luongo
Bobrovsky

Is a playoff worthy defensive situation that will hold them in games.

Umberger, Brassard, Prospal, Atkinson, Calvert, Foligno, Raymond, Anisimov, and Johansen are all threats to score 20+ goals next year. That's three lines of guys who wouldn't be shocking 20 goal scorers.

Old
09-04-2012, 06:20 PM
CrazyJ

vCash: 1295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
I love how the media tries to paint Luongo as disgruntled, and some posters just run with it. I think he's played it pretty cool up to this point. Hasn't said anything bad about the Nucks, no demanding "my way or the highway" attitude.
I agree with you, the articles that are written about him make him sound way worse than he actually does. If you have only read the articles and not heard any of his interviews you don't have all the context, and I think it is generally agreed upon that the media doesn't have much use for context.

Old
09-04-2012, 06:42 PM
MapleReef

Happy wife, happy life I guess.

Old
09-04-2012, 06:44 PM
Dellstrom
The new age

vCash: 250
Roberto looking....good as ever in the thumbnail...

Old
09-04-2012, 06:46 PM
Scurr

Quote:

The team hasn't been able to address their goaltending despite having one of the highest payrolls in the league last year. Their inability to get goaltending has resulted in losing which has resulted in them losing their best players. You can't develop players by losing all the time - you need to start winning to make the games mean something (just look at players when they leave CBJ - Jeff Carter).

Johnson - Tyutin
Nikitin - Wisniewski
Murray - Aucoin

Luongo
Bobrovsky

Is a playoff worthy defensive situation that will hold them in games.

Umberger, Brassard, Prospal, Atkinson, Calvert, Foligno, Raymond, Anisimov, and Johansen are all threats to score 20+ goals next year. That's three lines of guys who wouldn't be shocking 20 goal scorers.
I agree with most of what you wrote but it doesn't mean that Columbus should be giving up a blue chip prospect and two first round picks. One good NHLer (Dubinsky) and the Rangers 1st or a prospect makes sense. Maybe you get a prospect and a 1st if you take on a cap dump. The deal you suggested is way outside of deals made under similar circumstances.

Old
09-04-2012, 07:06 PM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
Florida does not have a State Income Tax. Ohio is 7.5% over 200k. USA taxes income of over 388k at 35%.

Ontario taxes wages over 78k at 11.16%, (Quebec is 24%). BC taxes 14.7% over 103k. Canada taxes wages over 132k at 29%.

In short, he's been paying 44%. Florida would be 35%.

Old
09-04-2012, 07:17 PM
DJOpus

Quote:
I agree with most of what you wrote but it doesn't mean that Columbus should be giving up a blue chip prospect and two first round picks. One good NHLer (Dubinsky) and the Rangers 1st or a prospect makes sense. Maybe you get a prospect and a 1st if you take on a cap dump. The deal you suggested is way outside of deals made under similar circumstances.
Dubinsky > Raymond but its close given production for price, just a matter of fit. Both had equally bad seasons last year while Raymond has a lower price tag and I believe Raymond actually produced better 5 on 5.

Two very late 1sts and a prospect from a position of strength is not that much to ask for Luongo...I'm sure CBJ would rather trade those three assets than their 1st next year for example.

Old
09-04-2012, 07:34 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 185
Pretty unfair to the Panthers organization for Luongo to keep spouting off like this. Not to mention his current employers in Vancouver.

If Florida wants nothing to do with his contract (makes sense), and are more than happy with what they have in net, what happens then? Is Luongo just going to be a complete malcontent in Vancouver and whine every day about how he wants to leave?

He's doing himself no favours at all by openly declaring where he wants to go.

09-04-2012, 07:37 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucic View Post
Roberto looking....good as ever in the thumbnail...

Requiem for a Dream sequel?

Old
09-04-2012, 07:47 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Pretty unfair to the Panthers organization for Luongo to keep spouting off like this. Not to mention his current employers in Vancouver.

If Florida wants nothing to do with his contract (makes sense), and are more than happy with what they have in net, what happens then? Is Luongo just going to be a complete malcontent in Vancouver and whine every day about how he wants to leave?

He's doing himself no favours at all by openly declaring where he wants to go.
Reporters ask him a question & he is answering with the truth, he isn't limiting it to JUST the Panthers though.

Do you consider what he has said in the past whining?

I personally don't see Luongo whining. He knows Gillis wants the best value & him lowering it by whining won't get him traded any faster.

Old
09-04-2012, 07:48 PM
BlamBlam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag925 View Post
Am I the only one itching for a Luongo trade to see what Roberto's new mask art will be? LOL He's been wearing those hideous Seahawks colors long enough. Time to see him in something new (or old ).
Canucks existed first, but we get your point.

Old
09-04-2012, 07:57 PM
Byrral

Quote:

CBJ upgrades in goal which would give it what it needs to potentially make the playoffs and doesn't really take anything off its roster...Dubinsky for Raymond might be a wash in terms of production.

VAN gets Dubinsky to play with Kesler and Booth (where Raymond hasn't fit), a #8 dman who can be called up from the minors as well as the pieces needed to go get another solid deadline acquisition when teams start falling out (i.e. they will have three tradeable 1sts).
Why would the CBJ, in a semi rebuild, trade a hard to play against Dubinsky who they really need for a locker room culture change, a good defensive prospect who can skate and move the puck and two firsts in a very deep draft for a 33 year old goalie with ten years left on his contract and Raymond? To me this is a really bad proposal for the CBJ future.

Old
09-04-2012, 08:37 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA not a chance in hell. Not one chance in hell. You're asking for what amounts to the same or more back than we what we got for Rick Nash. Absolutely will not happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Even that much [Moore+LAK 1st] and I'd be satisfied as a Canuck fan...
This is at least worthy of discussion. I'm not particularly fond of the idea, but it's not completely crazy.

Quote:
A lot of our quality pieces are going into that deal. It's g-dawful.

Quote:
(just look at players when they leave CBJ - Jeff Carter).
Carter was malingering and pouting the whole time he was here. Discussing his performance re: Columbus is like discussing how Eric Lindros did in Quebec City.

We've pretty much "trimmed the fat", as it were. The Nash trade finally got us some offensive depth, but it also put us in a position where we're dependent on having more "decent" and "servicable" type forwards than average just to be able to keep up. So while some might think we have "extras", we frankly could really use MORE - we don't have a "top scoring line", and so everyone else needs to be able to take up the slack. (This is not an unprecedented system in the NHL; Nashville operates the same way.)

Consequently, the only thing we actually legitimately have a surplus of is quality blueline prospects and late 1sts in 2013. (We just rebuilt the blueline on the roster; we're not about to disassemble it before taking it out for a ride and seeing what it can do.)

So, if Vancouver wants to talk to us, the only assets we can reasonably offer are, frankly, non-roster assets (unless you consider Steve Mason to be a roster asset ). If Vancouver doesn't consider that to be enough (which is understandable), then there's really no deal to be made.

EDIT: For the record, my plan is to hope he goes to Florida and then try to poach Theodore.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
09-04-2012, 08:52 PM
palindrom

Luongo for Markstrom!

According to the Simon Gagner and Heatley trade, when a player with a NTC choose his destination we cant expect the moon in return.

Old
09-04-2012, 09:02 PM
rockinghockey

If I was FLD I wouldn't even take him for nothing, with his cap hit and length and having Markstrom coming up they will be in the same situation as VAN is now.

Old
09-04-2012, 09:13 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
Luongo for Markstrom!

According to the Simon Gagner and Heatley trade, when a player with a NTC choose his destination we cant expect the moon in return.
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, or whether that was a serious post, but Florida easily declines that deal.

Very easily.

Old
09-04-2012, 09:29 PM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLager View Post
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, or whether that was a serious post, but Florida easily declines that deal.

Very easily.
Luongo + Lack for Marstrom then?

Then Florida trade Theodore to Toronto

Old
09-04-2012, 09:44 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
Reporters ask him a question & he is answering with the truth, he isn't limiting it to JUST the Panthers though.

Do you consider what he has said in the past whining?

I personally don't see Luongo whining. He knows Gillis wants the best value & him lowering it by whining won't get him traded any faster.
If he cared at all about his value league-wide, he wouldn't go on and on about how much he wants to play for Florida. You know, as opposed to Vancouver. If I'm the GM of any other team, I'm laughing my *** off because I know that Gillis has essentially been shoehorned into an uncomfortable position, one where his own team's starting goalie with the gargantuan contract has made his intentions loud and clear.

I mean who does that? How often does a star player just up and say "I wish I was playing for <insert team here>"

It's gotta be annoying for Canucks fans, I'll bet. Here's hoping Gillis pulls a rabbit out of his hat and rids himself of the nightmare situation Luongo's created for him.

Old
09-04-2012, 09:48 PM
Maximan89

Luongo's such a little girl. Guy makes ten's of million's of dollars, botches it in the playoffs repeatedly, then essentially demands a trade openly and now starts naming off his idea of a good destination. Such a whiner its ridiculous.

Im sorry but when you make that kind of money and sign one of those retardly long deals and then don't live up to it. You shut up and face the consiquences like a man. Guys a soap opera.

Closed Thread