MisterDB

vCash: 500
Frontenacs hire their second assistant coach by adding Mark Major to the staff

http://www.kingstonfrontenacs.com/ar...ssistant-coach

Old
08-27-2012, 04:50 PM
MisterDB

training camp scrimmage dates released and they are open to the public.

http://www.kingstonfrontenacs.com/ar...-camp-schedule

Old
08-27-2012, 08:37 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Injured Reserve

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterDB View Post
Frontenacs hire their second assistant coach by adding Mark Major to the staff

http://www.kingstonfrontenacs.com/ar...ssistant-coach
Should be interesting to see what he brings to the coaching staff. I wouldn't mind seeing a player like him playing for the Frontenacs again. Major was a force during the late 80s/early 90s for Kingston.

Old
08-28-2012, 04:23 PM
BigBuck

With the start of training camp getting nearer I think the Frontenacs should make an effort to market a player like Kujawinski. They could have some kind of charity like "Kuji's Cause" or "Kuji's Kids" where local business donates $10 for every goal he scores to the charity. Cheap advertising for business great experience for Kujawinski and the Fronts. It's been done on other OHL cities just wondering if something like this would work in Kingston.

Old
08-28-2012, 10:03 PM
phaedrusDH

Quote:
training camp scrimmage dates released and they are open to the public.

http://www.kingstonfrontenacs.com/ar...-camp-schedule
i'm thinking i might go, but i'm worried i won't know who many of the guys are...anyone know if they'll have their names on their jerseys?

Old
08-28-2012, 10:05 PM
phaedrusDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBuck View Post
With the start of training camp getting nearer I think the Frontenacs should make an effort to market a player like Kujawinski. They could have some kind of charity like "Kuji's Cause" or "Kuji's Kids" where local business donates $10 for every goal he scores to the charity. Cheap advertising for business great experience for Kujawinski and the Fronts. It's been done on other OHL cities just wondering if something like this would work in Kingston.
I don't see why it wouldn't, but it doesn't seem to be the type of thing the Springer Fronts would endorse...i've always thought the team has done a very poor job of business-community development

Old
08-28-2012, 10:56 PM
KnightsInsider93

Erie Otter Defenseman Kris Grant has asked for a trade to return back towards home and has not been invited back to Otters camp. Kris Grant is from Odessa Ontario close to Kingston, Ottawa, Peterborough and Belleville. Look for a trade coming within the next couple days.

Old
09-01-2012, 04:16 PM
zaluty

Any reports from the first day of scrimmages?

Old
09-01-2012, 05:32 PM
mapleleaf979

Anyone seen Roland MCkeown in scrimmages yet? He is going to impress everyone who watches him play. I think his upside is higher than Aaron Ekblad. Mckeown will have the C next year or the year after. 45+ points this year.

Old
09-01-2012, 09:16 PM
clubchamp56
Rookie User

Very disappointed at the lack of social media coming out of fronts camp. All the other teams are tweeting updates like once an hour and there has not been one from fronts camp. I would like to know how Mckeown, Bennett, Diperna, and the Watson twins have looked. Seen them all at the u17 camp and, felt if the team was picked at the end of camp, all would of made the team.

Old
09-01-2012, 09:45 PM
chiller

I was at camp today and one of the biggest training camp crowds I have seen in the past 10 years. This team will be much better and the future is bright with the Fronts.
A few players stood out from the 2 sessions I went to today. Ryan Kujawinski looks very strong and faster than last year. Cody Alcock also looked very good and made some of the yound defence look bad. Roland McKeown will be a star and looking forward to seeing him get accustomed to the speed. Sam Bennett and Henri Ikonen showed great speed and work well together. Mikko Vainonen in my opinion was the most dominant defenceman on the ice as expected and I think he will be the top defenceman in the OHL this year. Jean Dupuy and Jacob Smith also stood out and both appear much stronger and faster. Darcy Greenaway hasnt lost his speed and also made the defence look bad on a few occassions. I was hoping to see Mike Morrison but unless I missed it wasnt on the ice. This looks like a playoff team and I expect this group to make a run in the next couple of years.

Old
09-03-2012, 08:07 PM
MisterDB

http://kingstonfrontenacs.com/article/cut-down-day

So let me get this straight. we have an OA goalie in Morrison and a 19 yr goalie in Furlong, by the way where did he come from?

So much for developing a young kid in nets this year, don't give me, well they develop in jr b/c or where ever because they never get called back up, bottom line.

Old
09-03-2012, 09:00 PM
BigBuck

Quote:

So let me get this straight. we have an OA goalie in Morrison and a 19 yr goalie in Furlong, by the way where did he come from?

So much for developing a young kid in nets this year, don't give me, well they develop in jr b/c or where ever because they never get called back up, bottom line.
Sorry MisterDB but the cynic in me has to say "Why the fixation with developing a young kid in nets?" Like I've said before Gilmour has only drafted 2 goalies ,they are both 96's . They have the max 96's with the top 4 picks this year. Furlong will be back next year maybe one of the drafted kids will get a shot at making the team next year.

Old
09-03-2012, 09:19 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:

Out of curiosity, what goaltender in the system is qualified be the backup?

I have to be honest, I don't think any of them are, and Joel Howard isn't ready yet. I have been critical of the Front's goaltending drafting under the past GM/Scouting regime. Those guys are gone, its on Gilmour now, but he's only had one year.

Don't put the sins of the past GM on Gilmour, he's only been in there for a year.

Quote:
Sorry MisterDB but the cynic in me has to say "Why the fixation with developing a young kid in nets?" Like I've said before Gilmour has only drafted 2 goalies ,they are both 96's . They have the max 96's with the top 4 picks this year. Furlong will be back next year maybe one of the drafted kids will get a shot at making the team next year.
Appologies, I just saw this reply. 100 percent correct. Furlong is a free signing, if he succeeds, then good on the Fronts for finding him.

Last edited by Tigers1992: 09-03-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old
09-04-2012, 07:10 AM
MisterDB

If the Fronts are not going to develop a goalie then why waste a draft pick on them. The issue is they have had no stability back there, year after year, it is a new starter every year for the team and usually all the eggs are in one basket playing the said starter game after game and throwing in the backup once in awhile only to be pulled. They have to start developing or trading to get a young goalie (if they can't draft one). One only has to look at the Grubauer situation a couple of years ago and the backup situation last year. I also don't buy into Gilmour's first year. That is not an excuse for a GM. Remember the first year he came and stood in front of city council and stated "the trades that have been made I done" meaning he was in charge of the team when Mav was still there, either that or he was lying and covering up for Mav.

Old
09-04-2012, 07:39 AM
BigBuck

You have to realize that Mav is gone as are most of the players he drafted and had playing for him. Gilmour has signed Furlong he should be here 2 years that is a start for stability. Bring the only 2 goalies Gilmour has drafted (That's the Blueprint-build through the draft) along slowly as rules don't allow them to have 5 16 year olds in the line up so they are not wasted picks.Wasted picks are ones that would be traded away for a back up goalie.

Old
09-04-2012, 08:23 AM
Tigers1992

Quote:
If the Fronts are not going to develop a goalie then why waste a draft pick on them. The issue is they have had no stability back there, year after year, it is a new starter every year for the team and usually all the eggs are in one basket playing the said starter game after game and throwing in the backup once in awhile only to be pulled. They have to start developing or trading to get a young goalie (if they can't draft one). One only has to look at the Grubauer situation a couple of years ago and the backup situation last year. I also don't buy into Gilmour's first year. That is not an excuse for a GM. Remember the first year he came and stood in front of city council and stated "the trades that have been made I done" meaning he was in charge of the team when Mav was still there, either that or he was lying and covering up for Mav.
So you want to hold Doug Gilmour accountable for draft picks that he had nothing to do with? I guess thats your perogative, but Id hate to be put into that situation.

Both goaltenders came to the Frontenacs without having to give up any assets, to me, thats good scouting/management, not a negative.

It's a good thing that Michael Houser went to London as a free agent, if he was signed by the Fronts, you may have blased that too. Furlong probably wont become Houser, but still, the message is the same.

Old
09-04-2012, 02:48 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Injured Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
So you want to hold Doug Gilmour accountable for draft picks that he had nothing to do with? I guess thats your perogative, but Id hate to be put into that situation.

Both goaltenders came to the Frontenacs without having to give up any assets, to me, thats good scouting/management, not a negative.

It's a good thing that Michael Houser went to London as a free agent, if he was signed by the Fronts, you may have blased that too. Furlong probably wont become Houser, but still, the message is the same.
It's more of a track record thing. Kingston is notorious for trading away young goalies and bringing in someone else's 19 or 20 year olds. And while your point is valid in saying you can't blame Gilmour for Mavety's past sins, the thing is Gilmour hasn't exactly changed that team philosophy. He did it last year by bringing in an overage Bobkov (while trading away Palazzese to Kitchener), and he's done it again by bringing in Morrison.

As to the possible follow-up question of "well, which youngster do you suggest he plays instead?". That's kind of part of the problem. Kingston doesn't place any faith in its young goalies, so when the previous year's goalie graduates, there is nobody waiting in the wings to take over. The closest latest example would be Franky Palazzese, who was the 17 year old backup to Philip Grubauer a couple of seasons ago. But instead of giving Palazzese the starting job the following year, he was dealt away and Bobkov was brought in as an OA.

So, while you're probably right about not heaping all the club's past faults on Gilmour, you can't exactly blame someone for seeing Gilmour approach the goalie situation the exact same way his predecessor did and wonder if he's got the same philosophy as Mavety does when it comes to the goalie position.

Old
09-04-2012, 03:14 PM
BigBuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
It's more of a track record thing. Kingston is notorious for trading away young goalies and bringing in someone else's 19 or 20 year olds. And while your point is valid in saying you can't blame Gilmour for Mavety's past sins, the thing is Gilmour hasn't exactly changed that team philosophy. He did it last year by bringing in an overage Bobkov (while trading away Palazzese to Kitchener), and he's done it again by bringing in Morrison.

As to the possible follow-up question of "well, which youngster do you suggest he plays instead?". That's kind of part of the problem. Kingston doesn't place any faith in its young goalies, so when the previous year's goalie graduates, there is nobody waiting in the wings to take over. The closest latest example would be Franky Palazzese, who was the 17 year old backup to Philip Grubauer a couple of seasons ago. But instead of giving Palazzese the starting job the following year, he was dealt away and Bobkov was brought in as an OA.

So, while you're probably right about not heaping all the club's past faults on Gilmour, you can't exactly blame someone for seeing Gilmour approach the goalie situation the exact same way his predecessor did and wonder if he's got the same philosophy as Mavety does when it comes to the goalie position.
This is a valid point but Gilmour has traded almost all of Mavety's players away to end the Kingston party years and begin from scratch with a whole new culture.I think he's got it headed in the right direction.

Old
09-04-2012, 04:49 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
This is a valid point but Gilmour has traded almost all of Mavety's players away to end the Kingston party years and begin from scratch with a whole new culture.I think he's got it headed in the right direction.
Palazesse also had requested a trade. Again, not much Gilmour could have done.

I get the frustration, but don't know why it's such an issue, you have two goalies who didn't even cost you a draft pick are in net. No waisted assets, no trades, free agents. How is finding players and signing them without waisting an asset a bad thing? It worked for London and Michael Houser.

I still don't understand how someone blames Gilmour for bad scouting and evaluation in the past 5 years. He wasn't the one that made the picks, he isn't accountable for the Craig Wood's and Nathan Perry's of the world. Yet, some want to hold those pick against him?

Its hard enough to get draft picks right, drafting is a game where whoever fails the least wins, but if your going to add picks that the Gilmour regime had nothing to do with?

It's not how it works, and pretty unfair.

Old
09-04-2012, 06:41 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Injured Reserve

Quote:
Palazesse also had requested a trade. Again, not much Gilmour could have done.
Could you blame him? He was the scapegoat for the team's lackluster showing, despite the fact he was thrust into the starter's role as a 17 year old when Grubauer went down with Mono, and despite the fact the team in front of him didn't have a single clue how to play defense.

Further, the club didn't show any confidence in him to be the starter the following season. So I'm not surprised he requested a trade when the club he was currently with didn't think he was capable of being the number one guy, not to mention publicly putting a lot of the blame on their early playoff exit on poor goaltending.

So in a sense, yes, there is something Gilmour could have done to avoid the trade request. Not blame him for the team's poor playoff showing, and show a bit more belief in him that he could be the club's go-to guy the following season.

Quote:
I get the frustration, but don't know why it's such an issue, you have two goalies who didn't even cost you a draft pick are in net. No waisted assets, no trades, free agents. How is finding players and signing them without waisting an asset a bad thing? It worked for London and Michael Houser.

I still don't understand how someone blames Gilmour for bad scouting and evaluation in the past 5 years. He wasn't the one that made the picks, he isn't accountable for the Craig Wood's and Nathan Perry's of the world. Yet, some want to hold those pick against him?

Its hard enough to get draft picks right, drafting is a game where whoever fails the least wins, but if your going to add picks that the Gilmour regime had nothing to do with?

It's not how it works, and pretty unfair.
A couple of things:

1-I'll repeat, it's because of the club's track record of going with 19 or 20 year old goalies from outside the organization, one that Gilmour as GM has continued.

No, he's not to blame for everything that's been wrong with the club for the past decade and a half. That's not what's at issue here. It's the ongoing philosophy behind constantly bringing in someone else's 19 or 20 year old goalie each and every season, started by Mavety, and now two seasons into his reign as GM, continued by Gilmour.

2-You keep bringing up Houser, but the problem with that example is London brought him in as a 17 year old. He played for them for 3 seasons, two of which he was their starter. That's completely different than what the Frontenacs do, bringing in a final year guy who is gone the next year. The end result is a new goalie has to be found each and every year. There's no continuity.

If Kingston brought in a 17 or 18 year old free agent who could come in and offer stability to the position for longer than a single season, it wouldn't be an issue. It's the fact that the goalie position in Kingston is a revolving door, where a new goalie has to be acquired/signed/traded for at the start of every season.

Again, people aren't blaming Gilmour for bad draft picks before his time as GM. It's more a concern that he seems to have adopted Mavety's philosophy of bringing in a final year goalie from another team each year, rather than giving younger guys who may be around for multiple seasons a chance to run with the starting job.

Old
09-04-2012, 07:09 PM
BigBuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Could you blame him? He was the scapegoat for the team's lackluster showing, despite the fact he was thrust into the starter's role as a 17 year old when Grubauer went down with Mono, and despite the fact the team in front of him didn't have a single clue how to play defense.

Further, the club didn't show any confidence in him to be the starter the following season. So I'm not surprised he requested a trade when the club he was currently with didn't think he was capable of being the number one guy, not to mention publicly putting a lot of the blame on their early playoff exit on poor goaltending.

So in a sense, yes, there is something Gilmour could have done to avoid the trade request. Not blame him for the team's poor playoff showing, and show a bit more belief in him that he could be the club's go-to guy the following season.

A couple of things:

1-I'll repeat, it's because of the club's track record of going with 19 or 20 year old goalies from outside the organization, one that Gilmour as GM has continued.

No, he's not to blame for everything that's been wrong with the club for the past decade and a half. That's not what's at issue here. It's the ongoing philosophy behind constantly bringing in someone else's 19 or 20 year old goalie each and every season, started by Mavety, and now two seasons into his reign as GM, continued by Gilmour.

2-You keep bringing up Houser, but the problem with that example is London brought him in as a 17 year old. He played for them for 3 seasons, two of which he was their starter. That's completely different than what the Frontenacs do, bringing in a final year guy who is gone the next year. The end result is a new goalie has to be found each and every year. There's no continuity.

If Kingston brought in a 17 or 18 year old free agent who could come in and offer stability to the position for longer than a single season, it wouldn't be an issue. It's the fact that the goalie position in Kingston is a revolving door, where a new goalie has to be acquired/signed/traded for at the start of every season.

Again, people aren't blaming Gilmour for bad draft picks before his time as GM. It's more a concern that he seems to have adopted Mavety's philosophy of bringing in a final year goalie from another team each year, rather than giving younger guys who may be around for multiple seasons a chance to run with the starting job.
Gilmour has only drafted 2 goalies they are both 16 and won't play this year It's too early to say he's adopted Mavety's philosophy ,next year these guys might play .Who knows they just want someone to stop pucks.

Old
09-04-2012, 08:26 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Gilmour has only drafted 2 goalies they are both 16 and won't play this year It's too early to say he's adopted Mavety's philosophy ,next year these guys might play .Who knows they just want someone to stop pucks.
Thank you...

The General manager who drafted kids before Gilmour was the GM left him with no young options. Craig Wood, Blake Richard and Matthew Wintjes are simply not OHL calibre goaltenders.

Because of that, Gilmour had to go out and bring in two stopgaps, and did so without spending a thing. Ive head the complaint that Kingston always trades picks for goaltenders (which did have merit in the Mavety days), however to bring in two stop gap goaltenders and pay nothing for them? I don't get the issue? What is there to complain about?

If Gilmour has Joel Howard as an 18 year old and refuses to bring him aboard, then perhaps we have something, but for those who have seen him live, he is simpy not ready for the OHL.

I have to say, I'm happy that my boss doesn't hold the past 10 years worth of sins over my head, especailly when im only guilty of one years of sins lol.

Old
09-05-2012, 01:31 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Injured Reserve

Quote:
I have to say, I'm happy that my boss doesn't hold the past 10 years worth of sins over my head, especailly when im only guilty of one years of sins lol.
We will have to wait and see in the next couple of seasons if Gilmour does, indeed, groom home grown goalies or continues the Kingston trend of acquiring final year goalies from elsewhere. So on that topic, we'll just leave pending ...

However, you do realize Gilmour's had quite a bit of control of personnel decisions for more than just a year, right? You're making it sound like this is the first year he's had any control whatsoever over the personnel on the club, and that he isn't responsible for any mistakes/errors that have occurred before last season.

He's had his hand in trades/drafting going back to his first year, even when he was "just" the coach. He even said publicly that the Josh Brittain trade (that brought in Brian Lashoff) was his call, not Mavety's. That trade happened in, I believe, Gilmour's first month of being hired.

He was officially named GM at the beginning of last season, so this is going to be his second "official" year as GM. But he's actually been heavily involved in trades and drafting well before he was ever given the GM title.

So if there is a lack of quality/depth at the goalie position in the organization, it also falls on his shoulders and not just Mavety's he's been as involved in the process -- and those close to the team would suggest more so -- than Mavety ever since he was hired.

Old
09-05-2012, 03:12 PM
GoalieGuy35

You guys will be happy with the progress Furlong makes throughout the season. The kid was a workhorse in Jr. B with Guelph, and has the full potential to succeed in this league. He is technically strong, has the ability to make the big game-saving athletic saves, and is big and positional. There will be a little bit of a learning curve, but he has the ability to play with a calm demeanor and seem like a vet in this league quite quickly. If anything this is good scouting from Gilmour and his staff, especially considering Howard is not ready, and two capable goalies have been signed for nothing. You wouldn't be getting a capable 16 or 17 year old without trading away a tonne, and anything else in the system just isn't as good.

Closed Thread