HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

OT: Bills IV - Preseason Perspective: 2008 Lions went 4-0

Closed Thread

Old
09-04-2012, 04:21 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

vCash: 500
I can't believe they let that TCU linebacker go.

In other news must be a slow day @ ESPN, had Steve Johnson on. Claims hes gunna stop his celebrating shenanigans.

Old
09-04-2012, 04:24 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahrahguy View Post
Bills bring back Ruvell Martin, place Ron Brooks on IR:

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-c...as-5th-wr.html

I'm assuming they chose Martin because he's a good special teamer, but I was kind of hoping Roosevelt would be the guy that gets re-signed...
Eh.

Assuming that Smith is the 5th WR....then Namaan or Ruvell would effectively be the 6th WR.

6th WRs don't really see a lot of gameday action, so might as well give the spot to a really good punt gunner.

Old
09-04-2012, 04:36 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Was Brooks designated as "player who can come back after 6 weeks" under the new IR rule? I know there was a lot of speculation about that.

Old
09-04-2012, 04:40 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Was Brooks designated as "player who can come back after 6 weeks" under the new IR rule? I know there was a lot of speculation about that.
I guess to me...are there other candidates? Is he really that big of a deal to have around? What if a guy breaks his arm Sunday? Is this a strictally preseason IR move that can return?

Old
09-04-2012, 05:02 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahrahguy View Post
Bills bring back Ruvell Martin, place Ron Brooks on IR:

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-c...as-5th-wr.html

I'm assuming they chose Martin because he's a good special teamer, but I was kind of hoping Roosevelt would be the guy that gets re-signed...
They would have missed Martin in the gunner role. No one emerged in the preseason games that showed they could handle the position. It's too critical a position to be auditioning guys for in the regular season.

Old
09-04-2012, 05:16 PM
Takeo

How do you use the ignore feature on here??

Old
09-04-2012, 05:18 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
How do you use the ignore feature on here??
User CP - Edit Ignore List.

I didn't know I annoyed you that much.

Old
09-04-2012, 05:35 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Per the text I received from the Bills, yes he was put on that new IR list.

Old
09-04-2012, 05:37 PM
Zman5778

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK Triple Threat View Post
I guess to me...are there other candidates? Is he really that big of a deal to have around? What if a guy breaks his arm Sunday? Is this a strictally preseason IR move that can return?
I'm pretty sure that Brooks is really the only guy we have that is eligible for that new list.

And yeah, I think his return might prove to be a good thing, especially if McGee can't get healthy. Not to mention, if Williams and/or McKelvin struggle....Brooks might give the CB corps a needed boost.

Old
09-04-2012, 05:47 PM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
User CP - Edit Ignore List.

I didn't know I annoyed you that much.
I think it's rather evident who the candidate is. Becoming unreadable. I assume I'm probably also on a few lists myself.

Old
09-04-2012, 06:13 PM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK Triple Threat View Post
I

In other news must be a slow day @ ESPN, had Steve Johnson on. Claims hes gunna stop his celebrating shenanigans.
I don't understand, what issue do you have with Stevie?

When will we be past this "hey guys I'm the negative guy" thing you're rolling with?

Old
09-04-2012, 06:52 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

I hate the thread title. Nobody gives a damn about the record of the team in preseason, people rightly care about how the starters look against other starters.

People make up that argument to counter skepticism over preseason performance of the starters when nobody makes it to begin with.

Old
09-04-2012, 07:07 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
I'm pretty sure that Brooks is really the only guy we have that is eligible for that new list.
Right now. I'd imagine if teams get a significant injury in the first few weeks of the season, they would put the player on the list.

Old
09-04-2012, 07:30 PM
whiplash

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
I hate the thread title. Nobody gives a damn about the record of the team in preseason, people rightly care about how the starters look against other starters.

People make up that argument to counter skepticism over preseason performance of the starters when nobody makes it to begin with.
Why? Set aside the tongue-in-cheek title, unless you're looking to see what the rookies look like, athletically, what can you really take away from a game that - even with the starters in - doesn't include the gameplan a team is going to run during the season?

edit: to be clear, if we went 4-0 and Fitz had 6 TDs and a 120 rating, you wouldn't find me putting any stock in it either. Preseason is dumb

Last edited by whiplash: 09-04-2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old
09-04-2012, 07:33 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash View Post
Why? Set aside the tongue-in-cheek title, unless you're looking to see what the rookies look like, athletically, what can you really take away from a game that - even with the starters in - doesn't include the gameplan a team is going to run during the season?
True. The Jets didn't even run a single wildcat play with Tebow during the preseason.

The Bills didn't even run a single running play the first preseason game.

Teams don't call plays in the preseason that give them the best chance of winning. They call plays that gives them the best chance to evaluate the players.

Old
09-04-2012, 07:50 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash View Post

edit: to be clear, if we went 4-0 and Fitz had 6 TDs and a 120 rating, you wouldn't find me putting any stock in it either. Preseason is dumb
Of course. I can for instance, see that Fitz's mechanics are still poor and his accuracy is still woefully inconsistent. I can also see that Fred is still really good at making people miss. I can also see how well the offensive line will hold up against pass rush, and how good Mario is at getting pressure in normal circumstances.

"Game-planning" is really only important for evaluating a Quarterback's overall performance. I would argue that the best place to evaluate individual players is in the preseason, where their success is determined by their individual ability and not by the "game plan".

Obviously, the position of QB is unique and shouldn't be solely critiqued in such a vacuum.

Old
09-04-2012, 07:51 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
True. The Jets didn't even run a single wildcat play with Tebow during the preseason.

The Bills didn't even run a single running play the first preseason game.

Teams don't call plays in the preseason that give them the best chance of winning. They call plays that gives them the best chance to evaluate the players.
And that's what people do. That's what I just said, overall team results don't matter, individual performance does.

Old
09-04-2012, 08:06 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
And that's what people do. That's what I just said, overall team results don't matter, individual performance does.
What you're missing is that those plays are not the ones they will necessarily call in a real game. They are usually looking for something specific.

In the real games, good coaches playcall to the strengths of their team. In preseason, they playcall often times to the weaknesses to see where there has been improvement, if other players can help improve it, etc. That's why even individual performance can be overrated.

Old
09-04-2012, 09:38 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor View Post
I don't understand, what issue do you have with Stevie?

When will we be past this "hey guys I'm the negative guy" thing you're rolling with?
Til he learns. Pretty sure he said this after the Jets nonsense then against NE he goes out and pulls another stunt, gets benched by Gailey and the game turned around. Bills were up 21-0 after that TD.

Old
09-04-2012, 09:41 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
What you're missing is that those plays are not the ones they will necessarily call in a real game. They are usually looking for something specific.

In the real games, good coaches playcall to the strengths of their team. In preseason, they playcall often times to the weaknesses to see where there has been improvement, if other players can help improve it, etc. That's why even individual performance can be overrated.
You have a point, the first game for example they were focusing on no huddle. Not something they will use much but i'm sure situations will call for it during the year.

Old
09-04-2012, 09:43 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/bills-c...R57JNsj7cc#_=_

Closed Thread