HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Omark Thread: Willing to play in the AHL?

Old
09-02-2012, 09:53 AM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

vCash: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by McClelland View Post
The debute was the day before!Back to back games in european trophy against last years swiss champions zsc lions (with tambellini in the team)

They won home 4-1 omark behind 2 of the goals with 1 ass and 2 star of the game.
The awaygame they won with 4-2 omark with 1 g and 2 ass (1 star of the game).

Good start for linus with only 1 training with the team and he play in the 1 line with josh holden.

http://www.evz.ch/
Isn't Brule playing for the Zurich Lions? I can't make heads or tails of that site. How did he play?

NAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 09:59 AM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usual_Suspect View Post
Omark is still Oilers property. The better he does the more value he has as an asset. Not really sure why people cheer for him to do poorly.
Presumably because they've made it their jobs to criticize him online. They've invested a lot of time and effort tearing him down at every opportunity and so they'll feel a lot better about themselves and their knowledge of the game if he doesn't do well in the rest of his career.

Old
09-02-2012, 10:35 AM
2Curious

vCash: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Will always cheer on Omark. Was always a fan. I don't get all the bitterness towards him that some fans display on here. To me that's actually pathetic. Wish him all the best in his career and hope he can make it back to the NHL one day ala Roman Cervenka or something like that. Cheers to you Linus, **** the haters!
The bitterness can mostly be attributed to the "Pro Omark" supporters who really seem to go overboard blaming the Oilers for Linus's shortcomings. I as well like Omarks skill set he just doesnt seem to have the mental aptitude to take it to the NHL level. But I do wish him the best

2Curious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 10:43 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
Ii have always said that omark was suited to the european style of surface and play. He did nothing with the oilers that caused me to change my mind. I thinl some people hoped he would light her up just to say I was wrong. My only other comment is I dispute some posters comment that he has glowing reputation is sweden.

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 11:14 AM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Curious View Post
The bitterness can mostly be attributed to the "Pro Omark" supporters who really seem to go overboard blaming the Oilers for Linus's shortcomings. I as well like Omarks skill set he just doesnt seem to have the mental aptitude to take it to the NHL level. But I do wish him the best
This guy hit the nail on the head. I'm not sick of Omark, and I wish he would have had the proper attitude to improve himself in order to become more than maybe kind of a fringe NHLer on the 30th place team. I'm sure as hell sick of his supporters, though, who totally lost touch with reality.

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 11:29 AM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post
This guy hit the nail on the head. I'm not sick of Omark, and I wish he would have had the proper attitude to improve himself in order to become more than maybe kind of a fringe NHLer on the 30th place team. I'm sure as hell sick of his supporters, though, who totally lost touch with reality.
There are maybe like 2 or 3 of those guys. And yeah they're irritating. They irritate the heck out of me and I'm a guy who's always been rooting for Omark. The correct response is to put those guys on ignore. There is absolutely no need to become equally unreasonable and strident in opposition to them. There are plenty of very reasonable, knowledgable people (such as Lowetide or most writers at coppernblue) who think that Omark never got the opportunities he needed (I won't say 'deserved' since you get what you get -- 'deserve' has little to do with things in my experience) to thrive and show his worth. Heck, according to Staples's poll, the majority of Oilers fans think this way. But most of those reasonable folks don't bother trying to discuss it on these boards anymore because the issue has become so absurdly divisive and polarized here.

Old
09-02-2012, 12:13 PM
Delicious Pancakes

Quote:
The debute was the day before!Back to back games in european trophy against last years swiss champions zsc lions (with tambellini in the team)

They won home 4-1 omark behind 2 of the goals with 1 ass and 2 star of the game.

Good start for linus with only 1 training with the team and he play in the 1 line with josh holden.

Nice. Hopefully he kills it in Zug and can up his value as much as possible for the Oilers. I think the most he could return for the Oilers on his own (assuming a ridiculously outstanding year with good production at WC's) is a 2nd and a middle tier prospect. Wishful thinking I know, but hey maybe Howson's still running the Blue Jackets at the Draft and trade's one of his 1st rounders for Omark.

If they could trade him to an Eastern Conference team that would be best. I have no desire to see Omark potentially playing in the West where he'd play the Oilers 4 times a year. I think he has the fire and motivation to try to stick it to Edmonton, and it seems like many former Oilers seem to produce pretty well when they roll back through town.

Delicious Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 01:15 PM
McClelland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicious Pancakes View Post
Nice. Hopefully he kills it in Zug and can up his value as much as possible for the Oilers. I think the most he could return for the Oilers on his own (assuming a ridiculously outstanding year with good production at WC's) is a 2nd and a middle tier prospect. Wishful thinking I know, but hey maybe Howson's still running the Blue Jackets at the Draft and trade's one of his 1st rounders for Omark.

If they could trade him to an Eastern Conference team that would be best. I have no desire to see Omark potentially playing in the West where he'd play the Oilers 4 times a year. I think he has the fire and motivation to try to stick it to Edmonton, and it seems like many former Oilers seem to produce pretty well when they roll back through town.

I hope so too, and with the nhl lockout,swiss leuage will be quite good and a window for players like brule omark and tambellini to put some fire to their career and play big minutes, they are all quite young and signed short and not long retirement contracts.

McClelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 09:44 PM
Bergeron47

Didn't Gagner commit to this team in the event of a lockout?
Wonder if that'll be awkward

Bergeron47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 12:43 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 1446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicious Pancakes View Post

Kinda like how Horcoff upped his value?

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 10:44 AM
Hoogaar23

Quote:

Am I reading that right? 6 points in 2 games? That's awesome. Hope he absolutely rips it up. I know it's "only" the Swiss league, but if he were to be the top scorer in the league, I'm sure it could entice GMs of offensively bereft teams to take give up something to get him.

Hoogaar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 12:03 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
Am I reading that right? 6 points in 2 games? That's awesome. Hope he absolutely rips it up. I know it's "only" the Swiss league, but if he were to be the top scorer in the league, I'm sure it could entice GMs of offensively bereft teams to take give up something to get him.
A couple things though. Few of Omarks detractors would be at all surprised that he rips it up against a lower level of opponents. Thats actually consistent with a lot of the criticism that his body of work is more suited to a lower level of play.

Next, Omark is establishing a habit of storming out of the gate. Its what he does in game 10, 12, 15, 20, that becomes more interesting. I've watched Omark play with intent, and then seemingly get bored. Its one of his problems.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 12:05 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

If Omark played against the Oilers, he would absolutely destroy us.
More than Torres, Cogliano, Brodziak, Glencross, and Souray or any other ex-Oiler ever could.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 12:17 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreator View Post
If Omark played against the Oilers, he would absolutely destroy us.
More than Torres, Cogliano, Brodziak, Glencross, and Souray or any other ex-Oiler ever could.
and then doing nothing for the next ten games

Old
09-04-2012, 08:06 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
I really wish people would stop saying that Omark is too good for the AHL.

He really isn't.
Tell that to Todd Nelson. He's the one who said it first. Omark isn't going to improve on his weaknesses much in the AHL, he can toy with the opposition. Like him or not he's got unreal hands in the AHL games i watched him play nobody could take the puck from him.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 08:09 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
A couple things though. Few of Omarks detractors would be at all surprised that he rips it up against a lower level of opponents. Thats actually consistent with a lot of the criticism that his body of work is more suited to a lower level of play.
I know what you are saying, but how is he supposed to show he's an NHL talent? By not ripping it up? IMO Omark is good enough for a 2nd line spot somewhere in the NHL. There comes a point when a player has just been too good at every other level to believe he can't make the jump. It's not like Omark hasn't been able to score in the NHL when given the chance.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 10:09 PM
Krigaren*

Quote:
Next, Omark is establishing a habit of storming out of the gate. Its what he does in game 10, 12, 15, 20, that becomes more interesting. I've watched Omark play with intent, and then seemingly get bored. Its one of his problems.
I dont know what you base this on. And i really do not get it at all.
Omark has always been known as a slow starter. And as far as i have seen its been the same in the ahl/nhl.

Quite the opposite he usually gets alot better as the season progresses.

Edit: you might mean the first game after a callup (where every player in the entire league playes 120% filled with adrenaline) then yea i guess you have a point.

Krigaren* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 10:17 PM
SLURVE

Quote:
A couple things though. Few of Omarks detractors would be at all surprised that he rips it up against a lower level of opponents. Thats actually consistent with a lot of the criticism that his body of work is more suited to a lower level of play.Next, Omark is establishing a habit of storming out of the gate. Its what he does in game 10, 12, 15, 20, that becomes more interesting. I've watched Omark play with intent, and then seemingly get bored. Its one of his problems.
Omark really has not played enough games in the NHL to warrant such a harsh criticism. As a rookie in the NHL, he was getting 0.53 pt/gm clip in 51 games played 2010-2011. In 2011-2012, he played only 14 games.

SLURVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 11:04 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLURVE View Post
Omark really has not played enough games in the NHL to warrant such a harsh criticism. As a rookie in the NHL, he was getting 0.53 pt/gm clip in 51 games played 2010-2011. In 2011-2012, he played only 14 games.
In those 51 games his pts came in spurts, he looked like a world beater some games and then a slug in others. My prediction is that we will be debating this subject for atleast three more years

Old
09-04-2012, 11:24 PM
Auguste Escoffier

Omark is playing with Josh Holden, eh? I know Josh's son; I should ask him to ask J.J. how Linus' attitude is, then I could report back here so we could all make him more relevant.

Auguste Escoffier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 11:50 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
I know what you are saying, but how is he supposed to show he's an NHL talent? By not ripping it up? IMO Omark is good enough for a 2nd line spot somewhere in the NHL. There comes a point when a player has just been too good at every other level to believe he can't make the jump. It's not like Omark hasn't been able to score in the NHL when given the chance.
Omark needs to show he can play in the NHL in the NHL. But anytime he was here last year he wasn't looking like much and was as usual being a high risk/low reward player. Anybody could look up the past threads and posts and I pretty much signalled out the shifts and awful GA that were going to be Omarks downfall again last season. One was such an astounding W T F moment with Omark doing a loop in NZ while his team was in own zone getting scored against.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krigaren View Post
I dont know what you base this on. And i really do not get it at all.
Omark has always been known as a slow starter. And as far as i have seen its been the same in the ahl/nhl.

Quite the opposite he usually gets alot better as the season progresses.

Edit: you might mean the first game after a callup (where every player in the entire league playes 120% filled with adrenaline) then yea i guess you have a point.
He's in a new environment and I expected him to light it up. He looked good here in his first TC initially as well but his intensity really lapsed after that. I really do think Omark gets to points where he fells satisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLURVE View Post
He had only 3 goals and 21 pts after 47GP that year. Which is well under .500 ppg that whole season. In his career here he's also under .500ppg.

He had that little run of 6pts in 6games to end the 2010-2011 season that was atypical of his performance here. Arguably the outlier set.

In all we're talking about a player that managed only 8 goals here in two seasons. A player thats 25 yrs old and nearly at peak.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 04:19 AM
Baronsfan

Quote:
Tell that to Todd Nelson. He's the one who said it first. Omark isn't going to improve on his weaknesses much in the AHL, he can toy with the opposition. Like him or not he's got unreal hands in the AHL games i watched him play nobody could take the puck from him.
He's put up good numbers in the AHL, but his numbers don't shout he is too good for it imo, ppg in 40 games is good nonetheless though.

I just find it ironic that he's too good for the AHL yet he signs in the Swiss league, which he'll put up better numbers than the AHL most likely. Of course with a lockout the skill level in Switzerland will be considerably greater than where it's at now, but I'm speaking for the time being.

Last edited by Baronsfan: 09-05-2012 at 08:03 AM.
Baronsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 04:23 AM
Baronsfan

Quote:
One of his weaknesses was still obvious even in the AHL. I will always remember Jim Byers on the radio calling out Omarks turnovers and lack of effort in his own zone. He was brutally honest on air that Omark is a great AHL'er in the offensive zone, but you can even tell in the AHL which parts of his game are keeping him from being an NHL regular.

Last edited by Baronsfan: 09-05-2012 at 08:04 AM.
Baronsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 02:58 PM
Deewee

The best Omark was able to do in his first game in NLA: a 10-minute diving penalty. And this guy should be in the NHL.

Deewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 03:02 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deewee View Post
The best Omark was able to do in his first game in NLA: a 10-minute diving penalty. And this guy should be in the NHL.
10 minutes for diving?

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote