HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Was the trade for John Scott at the deadline a good one?

Old
09-02-2012, 01:46 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

vCash: 500
This type of trade was made for internet forums.

Personally, I don't think the trade was good or bad. It just was. Scott was insurance that we didn't end up needing. A 5th round pick could be something, but often isn't.

In other words, why does anyone care?

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 02:08 PM
ocarina

I didn't really get the point of the trade when it was made, and Scott didn't really do anything for us.

We needed some extra depth on defense at the time for insurance, and maybe another forward. I know that the prices at the time were crazy (Gaustad going for a 1st rounder), but it seemed to be trade for the sake of it.

Oh well, while the 5th rounder would of been nice to have, it's not a big deal.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 02:14 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

I thought it was stupid and unnecessary when the trade was made, and my feeling hasn't changed.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 05:11 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

It was a complete waste--Scott wasn't in good enough shape to play Tortorella's system regularly and never gained an once of trust from the coaching staff. Even when there was a need to play someone on the 4th line during the playoffs, he didn't dress.

The 5th round pick was no biggie, but Sather just threw it away.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 07:53 PM
SomE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Not really. Wasted a pick on a worthless rental.
Love the avatar

I don't mind the trade. 5th rounders grow on trees

John Scotts play hockey like trees

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 08:26 PM
CM PUNK

not a trade worth getting worked up over but doesn't see how in anyway it could be looked at as 'good'...

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 10:34 PM
BarneyRoss

How is this even a question? No.

BarneyRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 07:28 AM
NYR Viper

I think he was brought in because the Rangers had little to no depth and he was cheap. He could play defense or offense and he would keep teams honest if he played.

I also believe that Rupp was more injured than we have all been led to believe and that they were honestly thinking about shutting him down for a week or 2 to allow him to heal up but Mike wanted no part of it.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 12:12 PM
Melrose_Jr.

My expectations was that he'd do some of the heavy lifting and keep guys like Prust from having to fight down the stretch. That didn't happen, so it was essentially a draft pick thrown away.

I'd have happily parted with another pick or something more valuable to have acquired a defenseman with at least a Bickel skill level. 3 very long series is a big ask for 5 d-men. That's where help was really needed when it counted.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 04:58 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I think he was brought in because the Rangers had little to no depth and he was cheap. He could play defense or offense and he would keep teams honest if he played.

I also believe that Rupp was more injured than we have all been led to believe and that they were honestly thinking about shutting him down for a week or 2 to allow him to heal up but Mike wanted no part of it.
The problem with "could" is that in reality Scott could not--he was not in good enough shape when he came here to be able to play at the level Tortorella expected his players to be able to play.

Old
09-04-2012, 10:14 PM
ocarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
The problem with "could" is that in reality Scott could not--he was not in good enough shape when he came here to be able to play at the level Tortorella expected his players to be able to play.
Not to mention the fact that he is useless outside of his ability to fight. Who cares if he can play both forward and defense, he's a liability either way.

Old
09-04-2012, 10:30 PM
koz2393

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
Not to mention the fact that he is useless outside of his ability to fight. Who cares if he can play both forward and defense, he's a liability either way.
More of a liability that putting Stu in either of those spots for about 3 minutes a game? (just playing devil's advocate haha)

koz2393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 11:13 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by koz2393 View Post
More of a liability that putting Stu in either of those spots for about 3 minutes a game? (just playing devil's advocate haha)
Never saw during the season, even in pre-season, that Bickel wasn't in shape. The point is why waste an asset (no matter how insignificant) if the player you're trading for is never going to fit in. Scott played a total of 33 minutes during the regular season--there was no way Tortorella was going to dress him during the playoffs.

Old
09-04-2012, 11:19 PM
ocarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by koz2393 View Post
If he was that good, Tortorella would of done so. But the fact is, even if he was in shape, players of his ilk generally don't see time in the playoffs.

Old
09-05-2012, 03:30 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetynine View Post
Acquired for a 5th round pick, played 6 games on the 4th line and served as depth at wing and and defence if necessary during the playoffs. If Rupp got hurt he could have filled in. Also had that insane breakaway in the Ottawa game and fought Cam Janssen in a game against the Devils. The Blackhawks selected D Travis Brown from Moose Jaw in the WHL, yet another 6'1 defenceman who may or may not make it to the NHL, but won't in the next few years for sure and doesn't have the tools to develop as a top-4 guy. I don't Sather really gave up anything for increased toughness depth and could maybe do the same thing for Jody Shelley this season at the deadline.
The fact that this was the move we made was a disaster... We were short on warm bodies and had a completely worthless guy on the roster.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 02:03 PM
Edge

Was always a bit of a head scratcher for me.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote