HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

2012-13 Manitoba Bisons/CIS Thread

Old
09-04-2012, 09:44 PM
Bob Stauffer

vCash: 500
Re: Saskatchewan

Jimmy Bubnick and Brandon Herrod will be impact top 6 forwards. Both were legitimate offensive players in the WHL.
Ryan McDonald will have to sit out a while..but he is a ppg guy in the CIS and had a 37 goal season in the 'Dub.
Andy Blanke is a big tough 3rd/4th line FWD in the WHL...Jordan Peddle played exceptionally well for the Edmonton Oil Kings in their play-off run last season as a 4th line Pk checking center.
The Huskies already boast the top offensive fwd in the Canada West in Derek Hulak, and Kyle Bortis, Andrew Bailey, and Craig McCallum all legit top 6 FWDS who had 70+ point seasons in the WHL.
This is a deep and talented Huskies forward unit.
No excuse for Dave Adolph to get the monkey off his back and finally win an elusive University Cup as a Coach!

Stauffer

Bob Stauffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 10:48 PM
mikeandI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Stauffer View Post
Jimmy Bubnick and Brandon Herrod will be impact top 6 forwards. Both were legitimate offensive players in the WHL.
Ryan McDonald will have to sit out a while..but he is a ppg guy in the CIS and had a 37 goal season in the 'Dub.
Andy Blanke is a big tough 3rd/4th line FWD in the WHL...Jordan Peddle played exceptionally well for the Edmonton Oil Kings in their play-off run last season as a 4th line Pk checking center.
The Huskies already boast the top offensive fwd in the Canada West in Derek Hulak, and Kyle Bortis, Andrew Bailey, and Craig McCallum all legit top 6 FWDS who had 70+ point seasons in the WHL.
This is a deep and talented Huskies forward unit.
No excuse for Dave Adolph to get the monkey off his back and finally win an elusive University Cup as a Coach!

Stauffer
isnt the sask coach like 0 and 11 at nationals?

mikeandI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 11:01 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Jesse Deckert in camp

My nightly check of the Bison roster page had one new name to report, but not from a new recruit. Goaltender Jesse Deckert is once again in the picture. He has no listed stats at Elite Prospects from having played for the H0rny Ones. I even double-checked his stats at Hockey DB, and nothing from Lethbridge there, either. Has Big Brother amended the history of mankind? Or has Lethbridge been retroactively deleted from the Internet? Or did one stat site follow the other and just leave out one year of stats? I have not seen Mark Friesen's name yet. Caligiuri and Dubyk are already on the roster page, and four goaltenders is too many. Friesen was used sparingly as a 1st year 3rd stringer, but he did have a WHL background. Maybe I could find time to spy on a Bison practice this week to see who all is back.

ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 6
AUGUSTANA VIKINGS 1

There were Twitter updates from Augustana @UofA_AugVikings and from the Monkeys at @BearsandPandas. Those might lead to summaries etc. So far, all I have is the score. It might be worth checking the Augustana and Alberta hockey team pages for more information.

BTW, Augustana won the ACAC last season. The teams have a rematch Thursday in Edmontown.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 07:02 AM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandI View Post
He is 0-9 with a record of 7-12.

First Appearance is 1998, last appearance in 2012.

Had a run of four-in-a-row '05 to '08.

Made it to one(1) final in 05, hosted by Alberta, lost to AB (4-3 in OT).

Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 11:10 AM
puck passion

Quote:
Hey, what is coach Mike's record at nationals? Anybody know?

RE: Sask. Are Durand, Kaye and Bosch back for the Huskies? With all these forwards, who's gonna sit?

Sorry, people, this is supposed to be the Bisons' thread, so we're getting a little off the topic guys and girls.

puck passion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 01:28 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Mike's (Sirant) record is 2-2 in two(2) appearances (2005 & 2010). The Bison's went 1-1 in both appearances. The most memorable game for me was watching their OT win over McGill after being down 4-1 going into the 3rd in the 2010 UCup in Thunder Bay - that was a great comeback.

Old
09-05-2012, 02:42 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck passion
Hey, what is coach Mike's record at nationals? Anybody know?

RE: Sask. Are Durand, Kaye and Bosch back for the Huskies? With all these forwards, who's gonna sit?

Sorry, people, this is supposed to be the Bisons' thread, so we're getting a little off the topic guys and girls.
No problem since the thread topic is Bison Hockey and that which affects it, i.e. primarily the CW and secondarily the whole CIS. Of course, if somebody started a similar thread for each team, so much the better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer
Mike's (Sirant) record is 2-2 in two(2) appearances (2005 & 2010). The Bison's went 1-1 in both appearances. The most memorable game for me was watching their OT win over McGill after being down 4-1 going into the 3rd in the 2010 UCup in Thunder Bay - that was a great comeback.
Another oddity, both times the Bisons beat a Quebec-based OUA team in game one and then lost to the team that won the title in game two.

Old
09-05-2012, 10:07 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Sept. 5: A few new links

The Bison roster page is now up to 23 players, but the only names added today were for returning players. There are still several names to add.

There is some more information about the pre-season curtain-raiser. There is an Augustana Game Story and a scoreline at the Alberta site. This wraps it all up:
Quote:
Barron Smith opened the scoring for the Golden Bears at 14:38, and was quickly followed by Alberta’s Rhett Rachinski less than two minutes later. The Vikings answered back 70 seconds later to bring the game within one, from a goal from Viking Scott Aucoin.

The second period saw the Vikings take control for the first half of the period and keep it a close game, but the Golden Bears fought back hard in the last half of the period and come back with two big goals once again less than two minutes apart coming from Alex Rodgers and Ben Lindemulder.

The third period saw the Golden Bears find another two goals from James Debrowolski, and Levko Koper, to finish the game with a 6-1 victory over the hometown Augustana Vikings.
The Saskatoon Star-Phoenix has another profile story, this one on Kenton Dulle. He red-shirted last season as a transfer from St. Thomas. I guess if you are dull you belong in Sask!

Old
09-05-2012, 11:05 PM
mikeandI

CIS START DATE

Hey Holly is there a standardized start date for CIS hockey? I have seen the AUS sites talking about no games till Sept 17th and yet Alberta played September 4 vs Camrose? I am assuming we dont have that out here. And how many teams would even be on the ice? Early no?
Secondly is there a roster limit in Canada West rules? Again I see the AUS is discussing or maybe in fact implementing a 21 person roster. Doesnt that seem a little lite??

Old
09-05-2012, 11:22 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Quote:
CIS START DATE

Hey Holly is there a standardized start date for CIS hockey? I have seen the AUS sites talking about no games till Sept 17th and yet Alberta played September 4 vs Camrose? I am assuming we dont have that out here. And how many teams would even be on the ice? Early no?
Secondly is there a roster limit in Canada West rules? Again I see the AUS is discussing or maybe in fact implementing a 21 person roster. Doesnt that seem a little lite??
The AUS starts the latest. I have what should be a complete exhibition schedule HERE.

There is no roster rule in season play in the CW or OUA that I am aware of. In the nationals each team has to declare a roster. I, too, believe that 21 skaters is pretty light. It only allows for 3 injuries.

Old
09-06-2012, 12:21 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

Regarding the roster limit...it might be better if they implemented a rule that allows you to add another player during the season but only if one of your 21 is injured for the rest of the season (and he would become ineligible to play if he did get healthy).

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 02:50 PM
mikeandI

this makes no sense to me? for sure most teams in the AUS carry more than 21. Seems like a campus rec rule that mount allison might be or have tried to impliment?
depth wins? how are the bluejays doing lately and they can call guys up!
do they plan to have call ups and thus a minor league at each school
i dont get it!
help please explain the rationale boyz! i can see the ADs lovin it! closer to campus rec!!

Old
09-06-2012, 11:24 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Sept. 6: More exhibition games

It appears that daily updates of the Bison roster page have ceased for now. There are still many returnees who have yet to be added.

AUGUSTANA VIKINGS 1
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 5

I was able to get Twitter updates from the Monkeys at @BearsandPandas. It states that the shots on goal were 48-9 in favour of the Monkeys. I suspect that update stories and/or stats will be at either or both of the Augustana and Alberta hockey team pages, perhaps as you read this post!

WATERLOO WARRIORS 1
LAUSITZER FUCHSE 7

Links: [Summary - Google Translate] : [Waterloo Site]

Last year the Bisons went to Germany, Italy, and Austria for a pre-season junket and this year it is Waterloo's turn. The Foxes did them in on Thursday. Check the Waterloo link for what I hope will be an update.

WEEKEND GAMES

It seems that the Evil Monkeys are anxious to start the season. Most teams are just starting camp, but they'll have four games by the end of the weekend.

Sept 7
Alberta at Calgary

Sept 8
Waterloo at Landshut Cannibals
UOIT at Ryerson

Sept 9
Waterloo at Bietigheim Bissingen
Alberta v Calgary (at Banff)

Old
09-08-2012, 08:35 AM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Sept. 7: Monkeys take another

CALGARY DINOS 2
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 3

Not much about this one other than the score. I guess this will serve as consolation for the Evil Monkeys since they lost the football Battle of Saudi Alberta 65-6 to the Bedrock Boys.

The Bedrock roster page still lists the 2011-12 squad. The same can be said for the Monkeys. But they have added a mini boxscore for their second win over Augustana. So as you read there might be something there for you.

In other Monkey news, they have recruited Burke Gallimore, a WHL grad from Saskatoon and Seattle. The story is also at the Boxscore News.

Old
09-08-2012, 11:15 AM
mikeandI

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
Regarding the roster limit...it might be better if they implemented a rule that allows you to add another player during the season but only if one of your 21 is injured for the rest of the season (and he would become ineligible to play if he did get healthy).
seems like just another rule seeking parity....otherwise known as everyone is average.
weaklings all get a vote!

Old
09-08-2012, 09:14 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood3 View Post
The AUS starts the latest.
This is just how it's been. The league use to have a late 'official' start date of late Sept. possibly October 1st. This was changed a few years ago to the first day of classes.

I recall attending a week of 'open' UNB tryouts in '85 when Doug MacLean was the coach. He wasn't allowed on the ice, but watched from the stands. We all chipped in $5 to cover the ice. This was the 2nd or 3rd week of Sept. (if you're allowed to watch from the stands, you may as well be allowed to watch from the ice).

The schedule was not moved up despite the change in the early start date. I believe the teams wanted it this way so they could get some more exhibition games in along with 'official' practices. The AUS, like the OUA, has clusters of schools that are close to each other which allows for Wednesday night games - this allows the schedule to start a bit later but still finish on time and allow for 28 games (starting in 1997 - the OUA didn't move to 28 until 2005-06).

I don't think it matters when you start, as much as it depends on what you do with that time.

Old
09-08-2012, 10:25 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Sept. 8: MLG becomes the Mattamy Athletic Centre

So another light night in the CIS, since camp has just started. But the games were not typical pre-season fare.

WATERLOO WARRIORS 5
LANDSHUT CANNIBALS 3

Links: [Summary] : [Waterloo Site]

After a whipping in game one of the tour, Waterloo leveled their record by eating up the Cannibals. The rubber match goes Sunday against Bietigheim Bissingen as their tour concludes.

UOIT RIDGEBACKS 4
RYERSON RAMS 5

Links: [Ryerson Twitter] : [Ryerson Site]

This was a rather insignificant game between two mediocre teams, but for the fact that it was the first game in the remodeled Maple Leaf Gardens. Check out the above Twitter and team site links for pictures. Here are a couple:

Old
09-09-2012, 11:03 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Sept. 9: Weekend wraps up

Waterloo wrapped up their junket and the Battle of Saudi Alberta ends as it started. Now we can look ahead to a busy week, at least for most CW and OUA teams.

WATERLOO WARRIORS 3
BIETIGHEIM BISSINGEN STEELERS 7

Links:
|> [Game Story - Google Translate] : [Waterloo Site]

I was unable to locate a summary but did get the game story. Maybe you can find a link for a summary from that. The Waterloo team site may have something posted once they return to their beloved Canadian soil. So Waterloo is off to a 1-2 start. They did not fare as well as Manitoba did last year. But a win over a pro team, even from the Germany's second best league, is an accomplishment.

ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 3
CALGARY DINOS 2

Links:
|> [Alberta Twitter] : [Calgary Twitter]
|> [Alberta Site] : [Calgary Site]
|> [CW Schedule/Results]

All I have on this game is the score from the Twitter pages. When you read there might just be something posted of substance. Also, if you check the above CW link you might get a link to "Stats/Quick Facts" which is now up for the Monkeys' games against Augustana, for both Game 1 and Game 2 of that series.

The Evil Monkeys are off to a 4-0 start at a time when most teams have yet to play a game. They are no doubt serious about putting their best foot forward when they host the Bisons on September 28th to start the season. It is pretty clear that Augustana were not much opposition. According to the aforementioned links, the Monkeys outshot them 49-23 and 48-9. In fact, Augustana had no shots at all in the 3rd period of game 2. Will SAIT provide better opposition?

NEXT UP:

Sept 12
Calgary at Mount Royal

Sept 14
Briercrest at Regina
SAIT at Alberta
Manitoba v Saskatchewan (Regina Tournament)
Lethbridge at Mount Royal
UOIT at Nipissing
RMC at McGill

Sept 15
Manitoba at Regina (Regina Tournament)
Calgary at Lethbridge
Alberta at SAIT
Guelph at Nipissing
Laurier at Ryerson
Queen's v RMC (at Gananoque, Ont.)

Sept 16
Saskatchewan at Regina (Regina Tournament)

Old
09-10-2012, 10:47 AM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Missing names

The Bison roster page has not been updated for a few days and names not yet included are:
Ian Duval
Del Cowan
Darren Bestland
Tyler Schmidt
Mark Friesen

There are now links to a mini-summary for the weekend games:
Friday
Sunday

Last edited by Hollywood3: 09-10-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old
09-13-2012, 07:51 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Sept. 12: Battle of Cowtown

There was one mid-week game and a smattering of other news items. First, the game, then the news:

CALGARY DINOS 4
MOUNT ROYAL COUGARS 3

Links:
|> [CW Schedule/Results]
|> [Calgary Site] : [Mount Royal Site]
|> [Calgary Twitter]

The CW schedule page had Mount Royal winning, but not so at the other links. Check back for a link to a summary at the CW schedule page. One site or the other may even post a game story as you read this.

The Bison roster page has now added Del Cowan. Still no links for Ian Duval, Darren Bestland, Tyler Schmidt, or Mark Friesen. The U of M have also added a walk-of-fame outside the IGAC and Max Bell, with a statue for each team:

There is a bit of news coming from UBC's first opponent, namely the SFU Clan. The Clan started with a loss to the Coquitlam Express of the BCJHL. The game story did not give the score. They also ran a ra-ra story for their series with UBC. This weekend, however, UBC is the only CW team without an exhibition game.

The Laurentian Voyageurs announced their coaches for the team that will begin play a year from now.
Quote:
A familiar face will be at the helm of the menís varsity team for Laurentian. Craig Duncanson was head coach of the universityís menís varsity team from 1997-99, following his own professional career as a player from 1985-1997. Duncanson was a first-round draft pick in the 1985 NHL Entry Draft, and went on to play five seasons with the Los Angeles Kings. Duncanson later played with the Winnipeg Jets, and the New York Rangers, along with stints in the AHL and the IHL over the course of his career.

Duncanson also has a long resumť of coaching and development assignments. Most recently, he has served as Head Coach of the OHLís Under 16 Development Program, Associate Coach of the Sudbury Wolves Minor Midgets, and an evaluator in the Hockey Canada Under 17 Program.

Old
09-14-2012, 01:37 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Sept. 14: Leaguestat Starts

The Daily Schedule and Scores LeagueStat page is up and running as of Friday, September 14th for the tournament at Regina. The games hosted by Mount Royal and Alberta are not on as of yet. The game to be hosted by Calgary next Wednesday is also listed.

The LeagueStat Bison Roster page lists 15 players, the only new recruit listed being Tyler Feakes. The returnees listed at LeagueStat, but not at the Bison Roster Page, are Ian Duval and Darren Bestland. The pages combine for a listing of 27 players.

There are 25 players listed on each of the LeagueStat Huskies Roster and LeagueStat Cougars Roster pages, including 6 new recruits for Sask and 8 for Regina.

Last edited by Hollywood3: 09-14-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old
09-14-2012, 11:14 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Sept. 14: Bisons Exhibition Season Opens

THE PUCK HAS DROPPED IN BANJOLAND!

MANITOBA BISONS 2
SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 5

Links:
|> [LS Summary] : [CW Schedule/Results/Links]
|> [Manitoba Site] : [Sask. Site]
|> [Manitoba Twitter] : [Sask. Twitter]

As the pre-season gets underway for the Bisons, and for lots of the CIS, I thought I'd bring out some retro logos. We'll get the real deal when the puck drops for real.

The Bisons gave up 3 power play goals in a penalty-filled game. There were 65 minutes of penalties in 60 minutes of play. Blair Macaulay scored both Bison goals. Jesse Deckert played goal for two periods before Joe Caligiuri played the 3rd in the net.

The Bisons did not do much for two periods but then amassed 15 shots on the Mutts in the 3rd. Don't worry. The worst games the Bisons played last year were in pre-season.

The Bison line-up was something like this:

Goal:
35 Jesse Deckert - 1 Joe Caligiuri

Defencemen
24 Travis Bobbee - 4 Jeremy Schappert
2 Dane Crowley - 22 Darren Bestland
20 Brandon Lockerby - 6 Brock Sutherland
5 Lee Christensen

Forwards
23 Tyler Dittmer - 19 Ian Duval - 26 Blair Macaulay
9 Matthew Lowry - 10 Brendan Rowinski - 25 Paul Ciarelli
12 Austin Lauder - 18 Dylan Kelly - 11 James Henry
14 Nathan Green - 27 Tyler Feakes - 29 Luke Cain

Scratches:
F: Del Cowan - Jesse Paradis - Craig Scott - Brett Chartier
D: Blair Osiowy
G: Deven Dubyk

In camp?
Jeff Borse - Tyler Schmidt - Mark Friesen

OUT OF TOWN SCOREBOARD:

BRIERCREST CLIPPERS 0
REGINA COUGARS 13

Links:
|> [LS Summary]
|> [Regina Site] : [Briercrest Site]
|> [Regina Twitter]

This was a big-time blowout. Briercrest are normally a bottom-ranked ACAC team and usually don't do well against CIS teams. But this was beyond bad. Regina outshot them 59-7, including 21-0 in the 1st period. This was not part of the Regina tournament. Briercrest was just in town for a one-off, and that's probably a good thing.

SAIT TROJANS 2
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 6

Links:
|> [Alberta Site] : [SAIT Site]
|> [Alberta Twitter]

Another blowout of an ACAC team. All I have is the score, obtained from the U of A Twitter link.

LETHBRIDGE PRONGHORNS 2
MOUNT ROYAL COUGARS 3

(in overtime)

Links:
|> [Mount Royal Site] : [Lethbridge Site]
|> [Mount Royal Twitter] : [Lethbridge Twitter]
|> [U of L Recruiting announcement]

First, the recruits announced by the H0rny Ones were all forwards:
Chase Schaber (Kamloops Blazers - WHL)
Cody Chikie (Kelowna Rockets - WHL)
Killian Hutt (Fort McMurray Oil Barons - AJHL)
Taylor Fraser (Spruce Grove Saints - AJHL)

As for the game, not even Twitter was giving updates. All I have is the score posted on the schedule/results page.

OUT EAST:

RMC 1 McGill 5 : [LS Summary]
UOIT 3 Nipissing 5 : [NU Site]

UP NEXT:

Sept 15
Manitoba at Regina : 3:30 CDT : [LS Live Updates]
Calgary at Lethbridge
Alberta at SAIT
Guelph at Nipissing
Laurier at Ryerson
Queen's v RMC (at Gananoque, Ont.)

Sept 16
Saskatchewan at Regina

Old
09-16-2012, 11:03 AM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Sept. 15: Bisons Get the Split

BISONS REJOICE AS THEY EARN TICKET OUT OF BUMPKINLAND

MANITOBA BISONS 5
REGINA COUGARS 0

Links:
|> [Manitoba Site] : [Regina Site]
|> [LeagueStat Manitoba Line-up

After a weekend with the Hillbillies, nothing is better than getting a chance to pile on the team bus and get the heck out of there and back to civilization. And doing so with an exhibition split is not so bad, either.

The Bisons dressed every player who sat out Friday's game, except for returnee Del Cowan. Based on who was with whom when goals were scored, my best guess is that the line-up was like this:

Goal:
1 Joe Caligiuri – 34 Deven Dubyk

Defencemen
20 Brandon Lockerby - 6 Brock Sutherland
24 Travis Bobbee - 5 Lee Christensen
4 Jeremy Schappert - 3 Blair Osiowy
22 Darren Bestland

Forwards
27 Tyler Feakes - 29 Luke Cain - 11 James Henry
23 Tyler Dittmer - 19 Ian Duval - 26 Blair Macaulay
9 Matthew Lowry - 16 Jesse Paradis – 25 Paul Ciarelli
12 Austin Lauder - 15 Craig Scott – 21 Brett Chartier

Scratches:
F: 21 Del Cowan – 10 Brendan Rowinski - 18 Dylan Kelly - 14 Nathan Green
D: 2 Dane Crowley
G: 35 Jesse Deckert

Unless I hear otherwise, I will assume that Borse, Schmidt, and Friesen are not in camp this year.

One note on the LeagueStat Bison Roster link, they listed all new recruits as defencemen.

Each of the three goaltenders in camp got two periods of play over the weekend. In this game, Caligiuri played the 1st and Dubyk got the last two.

The Bisons blasted out of the gate and outshot Regina 17-7 in the 1st period, but only held a 1-0 lead on a goal from Tyler Feakes.

The Herd then scored four unanswered goals in the 2nd to take firm command of the game. Jesse Paradis scored two, and Ian Duval and Brock Sutherland added singles.

The Bisons shifted to D in the 3rd, with no goals scored and outshooting Regina 7-6. This sets up a return match-up next weekend when the Banjo-Cats come to Winnipeg for a double-header.

The team sites have not posted game stories as I enter this post.

OUT OF TOWN SCOREBOARD:

ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 2
SAIT TROJANS 0

Links:
|> [Alberta Mini-Summary] : [SAIT Site]

Johnny Lazo and Jordan Hickmott scored 1st period goals to give the Evil Monkeys all they needed to post their 4th straight win over ACAC teams.

CALGARY DINOS 6
LETHBRIDGE PRONGHORNS 1

Links:
|> [Lethbridge Site] : [Calgary Site]
|> [CW Mini-Summary]

The Dinos walked into Lethbridge and clearly the H0rny Ones were lacking viagra. The shots were still close (29-28). Calgary's PP was 4-for-7 on the night.

Of note, a CW Mini-Summary has now been posted for Friday's Lethbridge-MRU game,

OUT EAST:

Guelph 1 Nipissing 3 : [Bay Today Story]] : [Nugget.ca Story]
Laurier 4 Ryerson 3 : [Ryerson Schedule & Results]
Queen's 9 RMC 0 : [Queen's Schedule/Results]

UP NEXT:

Sept 16
Saskatchewan at Regina

Sept 17
New Brunswick v Moncton (at Abrams-Village, PEI)

Sept 19
Mount Royal at Calgary (Brick Invitational)

Sept 20
Carleton at New Brunswick

Sept 21
UQTR at UPEI
Concordia at Western Ontario (East-West Invitational)
Waterloo v McGill (East-West Invitational)
Regina at Manitoba : 7:00 pm @ U of M
Saskatchewan at Alberta (Brick Invitational at Edmonton)
Simon Fraser at UBC
Windsor at Laurier
Guelph at Brock
Ottawa at Lakehead
Ryerson at Nipissing

Last edited by Hollywood3: 09-16-2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old
09-16-2012, 11:10 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Sept. 16: Sask wins Regina tournament

FIRST BIG WEEKEND COMES TO A CLOSE

SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 5
REGINA COUGARS 1

Links:
|> [Regina Site] : [Sask. Site]

For two periods, this match was in serious dispute. Th Banjo-Mutts led the Banjo-Cats 2-1, despite being outshot by 20-13. But the Banjo-Cats were seriously short of catnip, after being in their 3rd game in 3 days. The 3rd period was all Mutts. Shots were 18-2 and goals were 3-0.

It is early in the pre-season, yet the standings are taking a familiar form:

Team`````````````` v CW````v ACAC``overall
Alberta````````````2 0 0`` 4 0 0`` 6 0 0
Saskatchewan`````` 2 0 0`` 0 0 0`` 2 0 0
Manitoba`````````` 1 1 0`` 0 0 0`` 1 1 0
Mount Royal````````1 1 0`` 0 0 0`` 1 1 0
Calgary````````````1 2 0`` 0 0 0`` 1 2 0
UBC````````````````0 0 0`` 0 0 0`` 0 0 0
Regina```````````` 0 2 0`` 1 0 0`` 1 2 0
Lethbridge```````` 0 2 0`` 0 0 0`` 0 2 0

OUT OF TOWN SCOREBOARD:

No other games tonight.

UP NEXT:

Sept 17
New Brunswick v Moncton (at Abrams-Village, PEI)

Sept 19
Mount Royal at Calgary (Brick Invitational) : [LS Live Stats]

Sept 20
Carleton at New Brunswick

Sept 21
UQTR at UPEI
Concordia at Western Ontario (East-West Invitational)
Waterloo v McGill (East-West Invitational)
Regina at Manitoba : 7:00 pm @ U of M
Saskatchewan at Alberta (Brick Invitational at Edmonton)
Simon Fraser at UBC
Windsor at Laurier
Guelph at Brock
Ottawa at Lakehead
Ryerson at Nipissing

Old
09-20-2012, 12:12 AM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Sept. 19: Weekend Preview

MID-WEEK UPDATE

Sept. 19: Exhibition Game

MOUNT ROYAL COUGARS 6
CALGARY DINOS 5

Links:
|> [LS Summary]

After the Dinos won Round 1 of the Bedrock Derby, Mount Royal has evened the score. They racked up 6 goals on only 21 shots on Jacob DeSerres in the Dino net. The Dinos had a 5-3 lead in the 2nd period when it appeared they had control. They had outshot Her Majesty's Kittens 13-2 in that period. Calgary falls to 2-3 in pre-season, whilst MRU is 2-1 (they both also beat Lethbridge). This was also Game 1 of the "Brick Invitational Tournament", which is previewed below.

WEEKEND PREVIEW

REGINA COUGARS (1-2-0)
MANITOBA BISONS (1-1-0)

Friday, September 21st, 7:00 p.m. CDT @ Max Bell Arena, U of M
Saturday, September 22nd, 2:30 p.m. CDT @ Max Bell Arena, U of M

Live Links:
|> [Live Stats Friday] : [Live Stats Saturday]
|> [no audio or video]

Manitoba Links:
|> [Team Site] : [Roster] : [Schedule/Results]
|> [LS Roster] : [LS Stats] : [LS Schedule/Results]
|> [Twitter] : [Facebook]

Regina Links:
|> [Team Site] : [Roster] : [Schedule/Results]
|> [LS Roster] : [LS Stats] : [LS Schedule/Results]
|> [Twitter] : [Facebook]

Other Links:
|> [CIS Site]
|> [CW Site] : [CW Schedule/Results/Links]
|> [LeagueStat Daily]
|> [Every Link Re: CIS Hockey]

Prior Games:
|> [Sept 15 Bisons win 5-0]

The Bisons make their home debut with a pair of games against the Kittens, fresh of their tractors from a long ride from their mud huts back in Hillbillyland.

If you check the Bison roster page you will see that there are 27 names assigned, the 26 who played last weekend and one (Del Cowan) who did not.

I'll be interested is seeing all the new players, and to see how the goaltending will be handled. With so many new forwards, the big challenge for the Bisons will be finding line combinations that work. The talent is there on paper, but now we need to see it on the ice.

As for the Banjo-Cats, they whipped Briercrest 13-0 but followed with quite typical losses by 5-1 and 5-0 to Sask and Manitoba. So are they any better than last year? We'll be finding out soon, I suppose.

ELSEWHERE:

ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS (6-0-0)
SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES (2-0-0)
CALGARY DINOS (2-3-0)
MOUNT ROYAL COUGARS (2-1-0)

Links:
|> [Friday Live Stats Sask v Alberta]
|> [Saturday Live Stats Mount Royal v Alberta]
|> [Alberta Site] : [Alberta Twitter]

These four teams are participating in Saudi Alberta's annual "Brick Invitational Tournament". Mount Royal and Calgary started early (as mentioned), so Mount Royal has 2 points and leads the standings, for now. On Friday, the Evil Monkeys will host the Banjo-Mutts. The Primates have walked all over their ACAC opponents thus far, whilst having tight games with Calgary. So Friday night's game is a bit of a special pre-season encounter. Saturday afternoon's Calgary v Saskatchewan game has no Live Updates link as yet. The Saturday night game between Alberta and Mount Royal could decide the tournament.

SIMON FRASER CLAN (1-1-0)
UBC THUNDERBIRDS (0-0-0)

Links:
|> [Live Stats Friday]
|> [UBC Site] : [UBC Twitter]
|> [SFU Site] : [SFU Twitter]

These teams split a pair of games last Christmas and this year they are playing in the pre-season. UBC hosts Friday's game and there is a League Stat Live Update link for that one. Otherwise, you might want to check the Twitters.

This will be UBC's first action of the season. SFU lost to the Coquitlam Express of the BCHL (Junior "A") 5-2 on August 31st, before they actually started classes or training. Then they beat Trinity Western 3-2 on Sept. 13th. Very odd spacing of pre-season games.

In theory, this should be an easy series for UBC. But SFU treat this like the Stanley Cup. That said, I doubt that UBC want another loss to them on their resume.

LETHBRIDGE PRONGHORNS (0-2-0)
NAIT OOKS (1-0-0)
SAIT TROJANS (0-2-0)

Links:
|> [Lethbridge Site] : [Lethbridge Twitter]
|> [ACAC Schedule/Results Page]
|> [NAIT Site] : [NAIT Twitter]
|> [SAIT Site] : [SAIT Twitter]

Lethbridge added a Friday home game against NAIT after the CIS composite schedule had been released. So they face both AITs this weekend. There is no League Stats Live Updates link for either game, so Twitter it may be. I have not seen these teams be too diligent with Twitter thus far in pre-season. I also linked to the ACAC schedule/results page, which may be capable of providing updates.

OUT EAST

Monday, Sept. 17
Moncton 6 New Brunswick 2

This was the opener for all AUS teams. Quite a surprising result. I have no links which give more than the score.