HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Episode IX|The Off-Season Thread|It's... still the offseason.

Closed Thread

Old
09-04-2012, 12:57 PM
Shady Machine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
Anyone look at the NHL TV Schedule? The Blues are on National TV 16 ****ing times.

Here's a list of teams with the most appearances. Not counting CBC/TSN.

-Boston (2 games on NBC, 4 NBC Flex games, 11 games on NBCSN, 15 games on NHL Network)
-Buffalo (1 game on NBC, 2 NBC Flex games, 11 games on NBCSN, 11 games on NHL Network)
-Chicago (1 game on NBC, 4 NBC Flex games, 9 games on NBCSN, 5 game on NHL Network)
-Detroit (2 games on NBC, 5 NBC Flex games, 10 games on NBCSN, 8 games on NHL Network)
-Los Angeles (1 game on NBC, 1 NBC Flex game, 7 games on NBCSN, 8 games on NHL Network)
-NYR (1 game on NBC, 1 NBC Flex game, 11 games on NBCSN, 14 games on NHL Network)
-Philly (4 NBC Flex games, 9 games on NBCSN, 12 games on NHL Network)
-Pittsburgh (1 game on NBC, 5 NBC Flex games, 13 games on NBCSN, 16 games on NHL Network)
-Washington (1 game on NBC, 3 NBC Flex games, 7 games on NBCSN, 7 games on NHL Network)

http://www.sbnation.com/2012/8/30/32...les/in/3043756
So if there is a season that makes 16 games I can't watch. **** the NHL Network and Time Warner Cable for making me pay extra for that channel.

Old
09-04-2012, 02:10 PM
shizno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
So if there is a season that makes 16 games I can't watch. **** the NHL Network and Time Warner Cable for making me pay extra for that channel.
At least you have that option, Grande Communications is dropping the NHL Network this season from its sports tier, but according to their newsletter thats ok because noone likes hockey and they're getting -5- more football channels to replace it!

Old
09-04-2012, 02:17 PM
mpp9

Landeskog named captain. Not sure I'm a fan of that move but man is he a special player.

Old
09-04-2012, 02:21 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
My cable provider doesn't even offer NHL Network. With how often the Pens are on National TV, idk if NHL Gamecenter is worth it.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
09-04-2012, 02:23 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
NHL Network games are always broadcast locally on Root aren't they? I have never had NHL Network and there wasn't a single Pens game the last several seasons I couldn't watch.

Old
09-04-2012, 02:25 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
NHL Network games are always broadcast locally on Root aren't they? I have never had NHL Network and there wasn't a single Pens game the last several seasons I couldn't watch.
Yes but I'm an out of towner now. I live in Cleveland (I need to stop announcing this to people in Pittsburgh).

So my frustration is that I pay for Center Ice and then I have to pay additional $10 sports package to upgrade to NHL Network if I want to watch all the games.

Old
09-04-2012, 02:28 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Yes but I'm an out of towner now. I live in Cleveland (I need to stop announcing this to people in Pittsburgh).

So my frustration is that I pay for Center Ice and then I have to pay additional $10 sports package to upgrade to NHL Network if I want to watch all the games.
Oh I didn't know that about Center Ice.

Old
09-04-2012, 02:30 PM
Sutter16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Landeskog named captain. Not sure I'm a fan of that move but man is he a special player.
Yeah i saw that, really suprised by that. Landeskog and Evander Kane are turning into great players i'd go NUTS if Pens ever got them never, ever gonna happen though but Landeskog is a great 2 way player.

Old
09-04-2012, 02:31 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Oh I didn't know that about Center Ice.
Yeah Center Ice blacks out any nationally televised games. This is fine since I have NBC Sports and NBC, but it pisses me off that the NHL Network (a fringe sports channel that most people don't get unless they are die hard hockey fans and fork out the cash) has nearly 16 Penguins games. I don't really understand the purpose of games on the NHL Network to be honest.

And then, once baseball season starts, I usually flip ****. The wonderful city of Cleveland decides that their precious Indians should be televised locally on NBC on weekends and they will black out nationally televised programs. So anytime there is an NHL game of the week in the spring and the Indians are playing, the hockey game is blacked out.

Old
09-04-2012, 02:37 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutter16 View Post
Yeah i saw that, really suprised by that. Landeskog and Evander Kane are turning into great players i'd go NUTS if Pens ever got them never, ever gonna happen though but Landeskog is a great 2 way player.
I would have done a deal for him around Staal. He's one of a kind.

Old
09-04-2012, 03:40 PM
ObsessedCreative
I hate Dan Bylsma.

Quote:
Mostly a PR move at this point.

Old
09-04-2012, 05:45 PM
JTG

I preferred Landeskog over RNH. Obviously couldn't have gone wrong, but I just think Landeskog is the complete package.

Old
09-04-2012, 06:08 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I preferred Landeskog over RNH. Obviously couldn't have gone wrong, but I just think Landeskog is the complete package.
I think he is too, but over RNH? All that guy has to do is put on 10-15 lbs and keep getting experience. He has all the skills. I think he's going to be a top flight talent. I too like both players

Old
09-04-2012, 06:09 PM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
My cable provider doesn't even offer NHL Network. With how often the Pens are on National TV, idk if NHL Gamecenter is worth it.
Time Warner Cable is still at odds with the NFLN so many people in TX still don't have it. Awesome thinking boys!...

Quote:

NHLN is kinda screwy with their blackouts at least down here. I live in San Antonio, but because of my FOXSW channel can get most Stars games. However because FOXSW covers SA, Dallas, and Houston it is not always a guarantee esp during football and basketball season. Center Ice says "blacked out" on the stations that will carry the Stars game, but has never actually done so. NHLN on the other hand def does black me out because they think I should be getting the game "locally".

Anyway, as for Landeskog being named captain, I think it was going to happen sooner or later. I know other players on the team like Duchene and Stastny are older, but this kid is mature beyond his years. I think he'll work out fine.

Old
09-04-2012, 10:54 PM
ComplianceBuyout

guys, atdhe has great feeds. hit up twitter too, 2-3 good feeds there too

Old
09-04-2012, 11:24 PM
SEALBound

I just want there to be a season...

Old
09-04-2012, 11:39 PM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
I just want there to be a season...
Man, me too ... me too.

Old
09-05-2012, 12:25 AM
Candyman

Quote:
Sorry for being OT. but I don't see it in him. Everyone is all praise for him but he only put up 55 points. I mean yeah he's a good player but I don't get all this hype.

Is there something about him not on paper that makes him so amazing?

Old
09-05-2012, 12:35 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman View Post
Sorry for being OT. but I don't see it in him. Everyone is all praise for him but he only put up 55 points. I mean yeah he's a good player but I don't get all this hype.

Is there something about him not on paper that makes him so amazing?
he's really good without the puck and he put up more points in his rookie season than a guy like Staal has ever had. He had a pretty slow start too.

Old
09-05-2012, 01:40 AM
Candyman

Quote:
he's really good without the puck and he put up more points in his rookie season than a guy like Staal has ever had. He had a pretty slow start too.
Staal is a great player no doubt, but he didn't have top line mates or minutes really especially as a rookie.

Compared to other rookies of recent years though:

07-08 Kane (74) and Backstrom (Wsh) (69) both put up more than Landeskog.
08-09 Bobby Ryan (59)
09-10 Matt Duchene (55)
10-11 Jeff Skinner (63) & Logan Couture (56)

Like I said I'm not saying Landeskog isn't good. but I guess with all this hype it sounds he put up 65+ points Admittedly I was a little surprised at how low the rookie scoring has been the past few years as I kind of assumed it hovered around 60-70 for the leaders.

I realize most of those previous leaders didn't post significantly more than Gabriel, just not sure I'm ready to buy into him being the go-to guy. But who knows I've been wrong before. I just hope theres a hockey season to find out!

Old
09-05-2012, 07:45 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Staal is a great player no doubt, but he didn't have top line mates or minutes really especially as a rookie.

Compared to other rookies of recent years though:

07-08 Kane (74) and Backstrom (Wsh) (69) both put up more than Landeskog.
08-09 Bobby Ryan (59)
09-10 Matt Duchene (55)
10-11 Jeff Skinner (63) & Logan Couture (56)

Like I said I'm not saying Landeskog isn't good. but I guess with all this hype it sounds he put up 65+ points Admittedly I was a little surprised at how low the rookie scoring has been the past few years as I kind of assumed it hovered around 60-70 for the leaders.

I realize most of those previous leaders didn't post significantly more than Gabriel, just not sure I'm ready to buy into him being the go-to guy. But who knows I've been wrong before. I just hope theres a hockey season to find out!
While I still think it was a bit too early to name him captain, I don't get your point. You are equating offensive production with leadership. Often times on ice performance goes hand in hand with leadership, but being a star point producer isn't a pre-requisite to being a captain. In a captain you look for hard work, intangibles, locker room presence, on ice leadership, etc. Anyway, my point is I wouldn't look at his point total as an indication of whether or not he can be an effective leader.

Edit: I think I misread your post. It looks like you were commenting on the "special player" part and not the captaincy. Sorry about that.

Old
09-05-2012, 09:08 AM
Candyman

Quote:
While I still think it was a bit too early to name him captain, I don't get your point. You are equating offensive production with leadership. Often times on ice performance goes hand in hand with leadership, but being a star point producer isn't a pre-requisite to being a captain. In a captain you look for hard work, intangibles, locker room presence, on ice leadership, etc. Anyway, my point is I wouldn't look at his point total as an indication of whether or not he can be an effective leader.

Edit: I think I misread your post. It looks like you were commenting on the "special player" part and not the captaincy. Sorry about that.
I largely agree with you, but I also believe there is a correlation between top point getters on their teams and leadership. Most NHL captains are also the top point getters (if the captain is a forward). It's not exclusive to the team point leader, but it does and should play a factor. to be a leader on and off the ice, you first have to be a leader on the ice.

Old
09-05-2012, 09:19 AM
Milliardo

Quote:
I think Cooke will do wonders for Sutter as a mentor. Big upgrade as a linemate relative to what he's had in the past. Help him gain some more confidence in the offensive zone.
Who where Sutters wingers over the course of his career?

Old
09-05-2012, 09:22 AM
mpp9

Quote:
I largely agree with you, but I also believe there is a correlation between top point getters on their teams and leadership. Most NHL captains are also the top point getters (if the captain is a forward). It's not exclusive to the team point leader, but it does and should play a factor. to be a leader on and off the ice, you first have to be a leader on the ice.
Callahan, Brown and Morrow say hi. It's not all about production. Consistent work ethic on and off the ice and coming up big in key moments when your team needs you is far more important IMO.

Old
09-05-2012, 09:33 AM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliardo View Post
Who where Sutters wingers over the course of his career?
Dwyer, LaRose and a mixture of rookies from what I remember. He's never really had a steady and quality linemate, let alone a veteran he can learn from and develop his game. Would explain why the knock on him is that he lacks confidence in the offensive zone. I think Cooke could be a big help.

Closed Thread