HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Need help-tryout

Old
09-04-2012, 09:31 PM
do0glas

vCash: 500
Need help-tryout

So, I signed up for silver A but I don't think there are any spots open, or no one wants some guy they've never seen play.

But a captain from silver b called me and assumed I'd played for a while cuz of the A registration. When I informed him of my experience, the tone of his invite changed to what sounded more like a tryout in their preseason game.

I don't see any problem with this, but I need tips! What should I be doing to make him put me on team!

I don't want to overthink it, but my lack of experience in league games is gonna be rough. So I'd love your insights on league vs. Drop in etc..

Thanks!

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 12:28 AM
O23L
Doan 3:16

Play your hardest, don't be a dick, and you're set.

O23L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 02:24 AM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Play hard, short shifts, be a team player. Play how you play and let them decide if they want you or not. Show him the player he would get, not that player that's trying to woo him for just that night.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 09:33 AM
TUCKER 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr580 View Post
Play hard, short shifts, be a team player. Play how you play and let them decide if they want you or not. Show him the player he would get, not that player that's trying to woo him for just that night.
This,

Nothing worse than signing a guy on only to discover he is a completley different player than you saw in tryout.

But seriously, just do your best and play YOUR game and if you stick to the fundamentals he'll probably invite you back.

TUCKER 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 09:58 AM
Dysentery
Ottawa Senators

vCash: 50
Don't think. Just go.

Meaning let your instinct take over.

Dysentery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 11:55 AM
Beezeral

Just curious why would you sign up for a division that it seems like you don't have enough experience for?

Beezeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 12:00 PM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital O TEETEE 613 View Post
Don't think. Just go.

Meaning let your instinct take over.
Thanks guys,

I emailed him just to clarify and he said they'd only tell me no if I barely knew how to skate.

I guess the biggest difference is that I'll be playing the same position all night. My first instinct during drop in is to cycle the puck or wrap it to the other side. Most ppl tend to dangle every play. So I'm more curious on what surprises I'll face in a league game vs drop in.

Is there simple rules that noobs tend to forget?

I don't know what kind of player i am, but right now I feel I'd shoot first, should I make sure to pass more?

Thanks guys!

Old
09-05-2012, 02:19 PM
Stickchecked

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
I guess the biggest difference is that I'll be playing the same position all night. My first instinct during drop in is to cycle the puck or wrap it to the other side. Most ppl tend to dangle every play. So I'm more curious on what surprises I'll face in a league game vs drop in.

Is there simple rules that noobs tend to forget?
You'll probably be put on wing. In the D-zone, avoid chasing the puck down low. Stay high, cover the point and get ready to be an option for an outlet pass. But most of all, cover the point.

That alone should make them thrilled to have you.

btw - Don't get suckered into trying to cover both points if the other winger has wandered down low. I've fallen into this trap. Covering both points = covering no points.

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 03:54 PM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
Just curious why would you sign up for a division that it seems like you don't have enough experience for?
Several "b" players have said after watching me I'd do fine in "a". So that's what I decided to sign up for