HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

John Madden joins scouting staff

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-04-2012, 11:42 PM
  #51
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,734
vCash: 500
This was a must. I keep saying how our record as far as UFA's in the US isn't that good and that with only 7 rounds, you need to be great at every other aspect if you want to build a solid prospect core. And maybe Trotter and Danis becomes Garrison and Read.

Ex-NHL'er, I always wanted Madden as a player. I guess I'll take him as a scout.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 12:13 AM
  #52
The Doors
Registered User
 
The Doors's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,542
vCash: 500
If the injury bug strikes he could be the first guy to go from scout to 4th line centre?

The Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 01:29 AM
  #53
kassian
Emelin's face plate
 
kassian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Montreal
Country: Netherlands Antilles
Posts: 4,310
vCash: 500
At first, I wondered what's the deal with that fat dude from the NFL getting involved with the Canadiens.

kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 02:13 AM
  #54
vokiel
I hate blind passes
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 7,086
vCash: 500
That's like returning favors more than anything else? Why not full time scout for some specific league and teams? Unless there's tons of UFAs in the NCAA that I'm unaware about I don't really get it either.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 02:36 AM
  #55
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Hmm, I don't think we can judge a player's scouting ability based on the way he played the game. It's great that management is expanding the scouting team, but we really won't know what Madden will bring us until players actually get drafted or signed.

We've seen good players fail in management positions before. I'm not saying Madden will fail, but we really have nothing to judge him on if it's his first gig. The intentions are definitely good, we'll see how it plays out.
disagree.

ultimately, the only real "judge" of a player's scouting ability will be measured by his success at finding obscure talent, but even then since he's just a scout and not director of scouting, we'll probably never really know how good he is/isn't.

that said, certain traits lend themselves very well to being both aware of and able to evaluate the incredibly valuable "intangible" aspects of young athletes.

a guy who made his career based on both his hockey i.q and his work ethic has shown exactly the kind of expertise that lends itself to an ideal scout.

he not only knows what it takes from a character/mental makeup pov to last a long time in the league, but as a guy who was a late bloomer (11th round OHL draft pick, undrafted in the NHL) and had to literally work his way into the NHL, he has experienced first hand what it's like to make the absolute most out of the "natural" talent (or lack thereof) one has as a junior... his resume gives him a degree of experience that very few scouts have even if they have years of experience watching.

huge difference btw a guy like this, and a more talented athlete wrapping up his nhl career and jumping into management expecting things to just smoothly roll on. If nothing else, Madden's resume speaks to his ability to learn on the job and work his way to effectiveness... that's a labour skill that any quality employer will value over "years of experience" every single time.

the bigger question or unknown is how devoted the individual in question will be to doing some of the "gruelling" (relatively speaking) and unglamorous work of a lowly (in the management totem pole) scout....
though Madden, with his reputation and contacts in the league, taking on a scouting position with the habs (vs landing in a higher up job with less travel needs/grunt work) certainly points to an individual who either A-really wants to be a scout or B-wants to get the know the business from the ground up.

in any case, while we "really don't know" how good Madden will be, as a blanket statement you can apply that to any hire, including people with previous experience/resumes.

With the information we do know, it is very reasonable to expect Madden will be at least decent in the role, and quite likely to be a great addition in that role.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 04:30 AM
  #56
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!
 
Gabe84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
This was a must. I keep saying how our record as far as UFA's in the US isn't that good and that with only 7 rounds, you need to be great at every other aspect if you want to build a solid prospect core. And maybe Trotter and Danis becomes Garrison and Read.

Ex-NHL'er, I always wanted Madden as a player. I guess I'll take him as a scout.
First thing I thought when I saw this news. "Hey, Whitesnake was just talking about that".

Good news! Quite a few gems plucked from the NCAA these past few years. We should've been all over that. Hopefully this signature changes our luck with US college free agents.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 07:20 AM
  #57
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
First thing I thought when I saw this news. "Hey, Whitesnake was just talking about that".

Good news! Quite a few gems plucked from the NCAA these past few years. We should've been all over that. Hopefully this signature changes our luck with US college free agents.
I can't always be wrong....

There are never enough people. Especially when your guy in charge is as solid as Timmins is. As many people there are, he will still be making the decisions. But he'll have more things to choose from. Can't be bad. Great move.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 08:52 AM
  #58
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,609
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
disagree.

ultimately, the only real "judge" of a player's scouting ability will be measured by his success at finding obscure talent, but even then since he's just a scout and not director of scouting, we'll probably never really know how good he is/isn't.

that said, certain traits lend themselves very well to being both aware of and able to evaluate the incredibly valuable "intangible" aspects of young athletes.

a guy who made his career based on both his hockey i.q and his work ethic has shown exactly the kind of expertise that lends itself to an ideal scout.

he not only knows what it takes from a character/mental makeup pov to last a long time in the league, but as a guy who was a late bloomer (11th round OHL draft pick, undrafted in the NHL) and had to literally work his way into the NHL, he has experienced first hand what it's like to make the absolute most out of the "natural" talent (or lack thereof) one has as a junior... his resume gives him a degree of experience that very few scouts have even if they have years of experience watching.

huge difference btw a guy like this, and a more talented athlete wrapping up his nhl career and jumping into management expecting things to just smoothly roll on. If nothing else, Madden's resume speaks to his ability to learn on the job and work his way to effectiveness... that's a labour skill that any quality employer will value over "years of experience" every single time.

the bigger question or unknown is how devoted the individual in question will be to doing some of the "gruelling" (relatively speaking) and unglamorous work of a lowly (in the management totem pole) scout....
though Madden, with his reputation and contacts in the league, taking on a scouting position with the habs (vs landing in a higher up job with less travel needs/grunt work) certainly points to an individual who either A-really wants to be a scout or B-wants to get the know the business from the ground up.

in any case, while we "really don't know" how good Madden will be, as a blanket statement you can apply that to any hire, including people with previous experience/resumes.

With the information we do know, it is very reasonable to expect Madden will be at least decent in the role, and quite likely to be a great addition in that role.
Man has never scouted before. He's like 5 months removed from a playing career. Nothing indicates that he will be a good scout. I don't even know why we're arguing how good he is or will be, we have no clue. He has 0 years of experience at the position. I wish him well, but speculating his scouting talent on his playing talent is pure nonsense.

And no you cannot apply the "we don't know" to anyone. If a scout has experience than he has some tangible evidence of his drafting talent because has actually been a position to suggest players to his organization.

You are really drinking the Kool-Aid here. I hope Madden does phenomenal in his position, but we really have nothing to judge his merits at that position other than hoping that his scouting will be as good as his playing, which is far from a guarentee since we've seen many good players fail at management roles.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 03:37 PM
  #59
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Man has never scouted before. He's like 5 months removed from a playing career. Nothing indicates that he will be a good scout. I don't even know why we're arguing how good he is or will be, we have no clue. He has 0 years of experience at the position. I wish him well, but speculating his scouting talent on his playing talent is pure nonsense.

And no you cannot apply the "we don't know" to anyone. If a scout has experience than he has some tangible evidence of his drafting talent because has actually been a position to suggest players to his organization.

You are really drinking the Kool-Aid here. I hope Madden does phenomenal in his position, but we really have nothing to judge his merits at that position other than hoping that his scouting will be as good as his playing, which is far from a guarentee since we've seen many good players fail at management roles.
If you had experience with elite sport, perhaps you'd understand better...

Madden isn't scouting baseball, or stick trading, or cooking... He's evaluating hockey players. What do you think a defensive specialist does to excel in his role ? Skate fast? Back check hard? Sure, but first and foremost he's a student of the game, and specifically of individual players and what he can expect from them.

What do you think a scouting requires?

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 05:44 PM
  #60
Drunk World Order
Registered User
 
Drunk World Order's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 502
vCash: 500
I've met Madden a few times...Similar Metropolit...he grew up in a tough neighborhood where most don't make it out. He's a super nice guys he does a lot of charity work with inner city/ at risk youth. He's very personable and had great ora to him. I think he will do very well as a scout as he has a great personality! ...I hope they reach out to Metropolit and offer a position as a European scout.

Drunk World Order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 05:48 PM
  #61
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Man has never scouted before. He's like 5 months removed from a playing career. Nothing indicates that he will be a good scout. I don't even know why we're arguing how good he is or will be, we have no clue. He has 0 years of experience at the position. I wish him well, but speculating his scouting talent on his playing talent is pure nonsense.

And no you cannot apply the "we don't know" to anyone. If a scout has experience than he has some tangible evidence of his drafting talent because has actually been a position to suggest players to his organization.

You are really drinking the Kool-Aid here. I hope Madden does phenomenal in his position, but we really have nothing to judge his merits at that position other than hoping that his scouting will be as good as his playing, which is far from a guarentee since we've seen many good players fail at management roles.
While I do agree with you that you'd better go with experienced and knowledgeable and proven guys, let say like a Nolet for example who I keep wanting, there are other ways to hire a scout. You interview them and you see how they analyse a player, what they would be looking at. We never know, Madden might have said that he has somewhat of a past history for recommanding such or such player that was in the AHL and ended up playing a role. I will choose to think that Timmins had a say in his hiring. And because of that, chances are he liked what he heard. Now....you can also fire those guys if it doesn't work out. While we do have a new group in place, it is impossible to hire 15 great to incredible guys without making a mistake. Chances are some hirings won't be as productive. Chances are, Bergevin will adjust in due time.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 06:13 PM
  #62
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL
 
Rise from the Ashes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Dollard-Des-Ormeaux
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,953
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
How could people possibly consider this a questionable move? This man has won three Stanley Cups and is a team first player. He made his niche as an NHL player by paying attention to the details, something a scout does day in and day out. This is a man who Bergevin knows personally and I am sure pursued himself. Do you really believe that he wont be able to evaluate which players are worth signing as UFA NCAA players? Besides, he is simply the eyes and ears in the process. It ultimately comes down to Bergevin, Dudley and Mellanby. All this REALLY does is broaden the Habs hockey knowledge network. MY GOD, people criticize for having too little scouts in the system, and now because someone just retired from pro hockey after a great career, we have too many scouts? Madden is a pro and understands the NCAA better than most. A good hire among many of the other good hires.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 06:27 PM
  #63
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,609
vCash: 500
I never said Madden was bad, I just said that we don't know what he will bring, we don't if he'll be great, this all pure assumption, the man has no professional scouting history. It might very well be that he is amazing and I hope he is, but it's just strange to call this a great move, when we really don't know what we're getting. I definitely agree with Bergevin's intention with this hire and the hire of all the recent scouts, but I cannot give any value judgment on the scout himself, since we really do not know. It's just a leap of faith, a pure assumption. Yeah, he was a great player, but great players have failed before in post-playing careers.

Maybe he did as you said Whitesnake, some scouting as a player, or some reccomendations, but equating his scouting talent with his playing talent (which you did not do; referring to you Whitesnake) is just pure assumption.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 08:14 PM
  #64
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!
 
Gabe84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I never said Madden was bad, I just said that we don't know what he will bring, we don't if he'll be great, this all pure assumption, the man has no professional scouting history. It might very well be that he is amazing and I hope he is, but it's just strange to call this a great move, when we really don't know what we're getting. I definitely agree with Bergevin's intention with this hire and the hire of all the recent scouts, but I cannot give any value judgment on the scout himself, since we really do not know. It's just a leap of faith, a pure assumption. Yeah, he was a great player, but great players have failed before in post-playing careers.

Maybe he did as you said Whitesnake, some scouting as a player, or some reccomendations, but equating his scouting talent with his playing talent (which you did not do; referring to you Whitesnake) is just pure assumption.
How can having SOMEONE, even if they're inexperienced, do the job be worst than not having anyone at all?

We're adding a guy to the scouting team that has played in the league and that has thrived by using his brain instead of his natural abilities, which he lacked, and made a great career out of it.

It really feels like you're just another one of those people who think that it's cool to go against the tide just for the sake of it. I don't think anyone here thinks that hiring John Madden, who has 0 scouting experience, will turn this team around, but heck, I think most here can agree that this is a good move. Guy gotta get his first chance at some point, and it's not like we gave him the GM job or something as his first gig.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 08:28 PM
  #65
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,609
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
How can having SOMEONE, even if they're inexperienced, do the job be worst than not having anyone at all?

We're adding a guy to the scouting team that has played in the league and that has thrived by using his brain instead of his natural abilities, which he lacked, and made a great career out of it.

It really feels like you're just another one of those people who think that it's cool to go against the tide just for the sake of it. I don't think anyone here thinks that hiring John Madden, who has 0 scouting experience, will turn this team around, but heck, I think most here can agree that this is a good move. Guy gotta get his first chance at some point, and it's not like we gave him the GM job or something as his first gig.
I never said I am not giving him a chance. I want him to do well, I hope he does. I even love the meaning of this hiring, but I just don't understand how anyone can call this hiring excellent. The intention is good, but we don't know if Madden is excellent, he's just a hire that we know nothing about.

Like I said, I love the intention, cannot comment whether Madden is excellent yet and cannot base it off whether or not he was a good player or was well liked. If Montreal hires Mathieu Darche tomorrow as a scout, does it mean he'll be a bad one because Darche wasn't the greatest player and wasn't really liked? That is basically what we were are evaluating Madden's talents on. Good players are good scouts and bad players are bad scouts?

It's a good hiring in the sense that it shows that management wants to enlarge the scouting team so that they can focus on more areas. But as for Madden, we just don't know, just assume.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 02:34 PM
  #66
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,290
vCash: 500
In other news, the hockey world "assumes" that nail yakupov will score an NHL goal... Much to the dislike of those arguing that he has zero professional hockey experience, so really, how can we know...

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 02:53 PM
  #67
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,609
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
In other news, the hockey world "assumes" that nail yakupov will score an NHL goal... Much to the dislike of those arguing that he has zero professional hockey experience, so really, how can we know...
That is not the same at all. We're judging Yakupov's potential playing ability based on his current playing ability. There is a common denominator there, which is playing ability.

We're judging Madden's scouting ability, based on his playing ability. That's not the same at all. By that argument, any great hockey player, would be a great scout. Teams should be running after Gretzky, Lindros etc etc to scout players for them.

Like I said, I'm not saying Madden will suck. I just don't see the logic in saying he will be excellent at scouting because he was excellent at playing.

I'm excited to see what he can do, but I'm not gonna assume he's gonna be amazing at it right off the bat with 0 experience.

I love the intention and direction. That is what I took out of this hiring, that is what we should take out of this hiring...for now.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 06:34 PM
  #68
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
We're judging Madden's scouting ability, based on his playing ability. That's not the same at all. By that argument, any great hockey player, would be a great scout. Teams should be running after Gretzky, Lindros etc etc to scout players for them.
Well players that actually played the game might have a slight advantage as far as knowing really what it takes, knowing what they had to improve and how to do it, knowing the work ethic it took to get there etc. Then, you do have to interview them. Which then should fix your point about "any NHL'er should be a great scout then" 'cause with all the criteria I look for in a scout, chances are some would not pass that interview.

And while you also can't generalize, I would have the tendancy to think that players that succeeded because of their hard work and ended up being a journeyman in this league, might have more what it takes to be a scout than a guy who succeeded mostly of his pure talent.

In the end, in hockey like in every other sphere, it's often about who you know. Not sure why it should be any different here. Hey, there's nothing more I would like for the Habs to call me and offer me a job.....but that's not how it works.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 06:49 PM
  #69
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,491
vCash: 500
I think he will integrate well into our society...besides, isn't his wife from Quebec?

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 07:42 PM
  #70
Forsead
Registered User
 
Forsead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Québec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,232
vCash: 500
Nice signing, but I would like more professionnals scouts, I thought that was the greatest weakness in the organization.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 01:01 AM
  #71
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
That is not the same at all. We're judging Yakupov's potential playing ability based on his current playing ability. There is a common denominator there, which is playing ability.

We're judging Madden's scouting ability, based on his playing ability. That's not the same at all. By that argument, any great hockey player, would be a great scout. Teams should be running after Gretzky, Lindros etc etc to scout players for them.

Like I said, I'm not saying Madden will suck. I just don't see the logic in saying he will be excellent at scouting because he was excellent at playing.

I'm excited to see what he can do, but I'm not gonna assume he's gonna be amazing at it right off the bat with 0 experience.

I love the intention and direction. That is what I took out of this hiring, that is what we should take out of this hiring...for now.
Just lost my reply.... But briefly:

Pro athletes develop many highly transferable work skills, and not all athletes develop the same ones.

Teams recycle guys like Gauthier all the time, so don't assume that "teams" chase after the right people by default.

Very few people are amazing "right off the bat" in a new role regardless of profession, and besides did I even make that claim?

It's a good hire, an excellent hire, IMO, based on the info we have available and my own experience with very relevant subject matter.

Great for you if you want to wait and see how he does, nothing wrong with that... But that's a pretty useless point to argue about, none of us are fortune tellers, every opinion is subject to the "wait and see" counter point, which makes it redundant redundant.
If you so need to disagree, can't you offer at least some sort of thoughtful response?

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 09:23 AM
  #72
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,609
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
Just lost my reply.... But briefly:

Pro athletes develop many highly transferable work skills, and not all athletes develop the same ones.

Teams recycle guys like Gauthier all the time, so don't assume that "teams" chase after the right people by default.

Very few people are amazing "right off the bat" in a new role regardless of profession, and besides did I even make that claim?

It's a good hire, an excellent hire, IMO, based on the info we have available and my own experience with very relevant subject matter.

Great for you if you want to wait and see how he does, nothing wrong with that... But that's a pretty useless point to argue about, none of us are fortune tellers, every opinion is subject to the "wait and see" counter point, which makes it redundant redundant.
If you so need to disagree, can't you offer at least some sort of thoughtful response?
Thoughtful response? Again, I've seen nothing on your end that proves Madden will be excellent. Just a bunch of speculation and assumptions based on his playing ability. By your logic, there are a plethora of good scouts currently playing as there are a plethora of good hockey players. Doughty, Pietrangelo, Subban, Thornton, Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, St.Louis, Weber, Suter, Chara, Lundqvist, Richards, Kopitar, Quick, Brown, Kovalchuk, Staal, Skinner Parise etc etc are all based on your logic equally qualified to be excellent scouts. Even guys who had a similar work ethic like Madden: Prust, Malholtra, Pahlsson, Bolland, Betts etc etc.

I find it hard to believe that all these players will be excellent scouts because they were all excellent players in some shape or form.

The thoughtful response is lacking on your end, since there isn't anything that tells me that Madden will be an EXCELLENT hire considering he has 0 years of ameture scouting experience. It may very well be that he ends up being excellent and I hope he does, but it's just something that we are hoping he will do, we really don't have zero idea whether he will and we can't base such assumptions on his playing career or else it also qualifies a plethora of other candidates as excellent scouts.

Trevor Timmins didn't have an outstanding hockey career and is an excellent scout as are other scouts who didn't have anything noteworthy in terms of hockey. Joe McDonnell of the Red Wings played 50 nhl games.

I love the intention and direction. We'll see what hapens.


Last edited by Andy: 09-07-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 10:00 AM
  #73
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Thoughtful response? Again, I've seen nothing on your end that proves Madden will be excellent. Just a bunch of speculation and assumptions based on his playing ability. By your logic, there are a plethora of good scouts currently playing as there are a plethora of good hockey players. Doughty, Pietrangelo, Subban, Thornton, Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, St.Louis, Weber, Suter, Chara, Lundqvist, Richards, Kopitar, Quick, Brown, Kovalchuk, Staal, Skinner Parise etc etc are all based on your logic equally qualified to be excellent scouts. Even guys who had a similar work ethic like Madden: Prust, Malholtra, Pahlsson, Bolland, Betts etc etc.

I find it hard to believe that all these players will be excellent scouts because they were all excellent players in some shape or form.

The thoughtful response is lacking on your end, since there isn't anything that tells me that Madden will be an EXCELLENT hire considering he has 0 years of ameture scouting experience. It may very well be that he ends up being excellent and I hope he does, but it's just something that we are hoping he will do, we really don't have zero idea whether he will and we can't base such assumptions on his playing career or else it also qualifies a plethora of other candidates as excellent scouts.

Trevor Timmins didn't have an outstanding hockey career and is an excellent scout as are other scouts who didn't have anything noteworthy in terms of hockey. Joe McDonnell of the Red Wings played 50 nhl games.

I love the intention and direction. We'll see what hapens.
Repeating the same argument over and over in longer sentences doesn't add anything... We get it, you don't understand that there is more to playing than just "playing", and since you don't know the future you'd rather not "assume" anything beyond your own biases... But you love the intention/direction, Got it the first time.

Since you clearly haven't taken the time to actually read (or maybe it's the comprehension thing?, do I really need to explain to do you the difference btw "excellent hiring" and "person x will be excellent"?), I've reported below my comments, highlighting the points you seem unwilling to address.

Also underlined the comments that directly contradict your interpretation of what I've said ( maybe it really is a comprehension thing???)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
disagree.

ultimately, the only real "judge" of a player's scouting ability will be measured by his success at finding obscure talent, but even then since he's just a scout and not director of scouting, we'll probably never really know how good he is/isn't.

that said, certain traits lend themselves very well to being both aware of and able to evaluate the incredibly valuable "intangible" aspects of young athletes.

a guy who made his career based on both his hockey i.q and his work ethic has shown exactly the kind of expertise that lends itself to an ideal scout.

he not only knows what it takes from a character/mental makeup pov to last a long time in the league, but as a guy who was a late bloomer (11th round OHL draft pick, undrafted in the NHL) and had to literally work his way into the NHL, he has experienced first hand what it's like to make the absolute most out of the "natural" talent (or lack thereof) one has as a junior... his resume gives him a degree of experience that very few scouts have even if they have years of experience watching.

huge difference btw a guy like this, and a more talented athlete wrapping up his nhl career and jumping into management expecting things to just smoothly roll on. If nothing else, Madden's resume speaks to his ability to learn on the job and work his way to effectiveness... that's a labour skill that any quality employer will value over "years of experience" every single time.

the bigger question or unknown is how devoted the individual in question will be to doing some of the "gruelling" (relatively speaking) and unglamorous work of a lowly (in the management totem pole) scout....
though Madden, with his reputation and contacts in the league, taking on a scouting position with the habs (vs landing in a higher up job with less travel needs/grunt work) certainly points to an individual who either A-really wants to be a scout or B-wants to get the know the business from the ground up.

in any case, while we "really don't know" how good Madden will be, as a blanket statement you can apply that to any hire, including people with previous experience/resumes.

With the information we do know, it is very reasonable to expect Madden will be at least decent in the role, and quite likely to be a great addition in that role.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
If you had experience with elite sport, perhaps you'd understand better...

Madden isn't scouting baseball, or stick trading, or cooking... He's evaluating hockey players. What do you think a defensive specialist does to excel in his role ? Skate fast? Back check hard? Sure, but first and foremost he's a student of the game, and specifically of individual players and what he can expect from them.

What do you think a scouting requires?




Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
Just lost my reply.... But briefly:

Pro athletes develop many highly transferable work skills, and not all athletes develop the same ones.

Teams recycle guys like Gauthier all the time, so don't assume that "teams" chase after the right people by default.

Very few people are amazing "right off the bat" in a new role regardless of profession, and besides did I even make that claim?

It's a good hire, an excellent hire, IMO, based on the info we have available and my own experience with very relevant subject matter.

Great for you if you want to wait and see how he does, nothing wrong with that... But that's a pretty useless point to argue about, none of us are fortune tellers, every opinion is subject to the "wait and see" counter point, which makes it redundant redundant.
If you so need to disagree, can't you offer at least some sort of thoughtful response?

Our schools really need to get back to the liberal arts focus, science and math are great for logical thinking, but if basic reading comprehension is left behind, logic falls flat on its face

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 10:06 AM
  #74
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,609
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post











Our schools really need to get back to the liberal arts focus, science and math are great for logical thinking, but if basic reading comprehension is left behind, logic falls flat on its face
and yet someone has to go back and read that I wrote that you are just speculating and assuming that Madden will have those skills transferred over.

Again, like I said, there's nothing to guarentee that Madden will be excellent. Many great players with apparearntly relevant skills have failed before in management positions. This is just a leap of faith on your part. It has nothing to do with the arts or mathematics, rather, it has to do with speculation, assumptions and conjecture on your part.

As for repeating my argument, I will repeat it until you come up with something more tangible than...Madden had good skills and traits as a player, therefore, I assume he will be an excellent scout. It's only natural I will repeat my argument as it was developed in a view to your original assumptions, which have not changed and to which you have brought nothing new.

Are all late bloomers and hard working players going to be great scouts? Is that the secret? Should we go out and hire Michael Ryder next? Maybe Mathieu Darche can be part of the team as well.

Here's a fact. Madden has 0 years of amateur scout experience. Let's see what he can do at his position now.


Last edited by Andy: 09-07-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 10:24 AM
  #75
Grant McCagg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,421
vCash: 500
I like the hire. As Trevor Timmins said to me the other day...why not hire one of the best college free agents ever to recruit prospective college free agents?

That used to be one of TT's many jobs...now someone can scout those FA's on a more regular basis, and talk to them more frequently. No one should be perturbed that Molson and co. are opening the purse strings more liberally after PG's skeleton scouting/recruiting/development staff..not like they don't have the money/profits.

Grant McCagg is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:34 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.