HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Premier of Quebec rushed from stage amid security scare

Closed Thread

Old
09-05-2012, 12:53 AM
Delat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayatollah Chowmeini View Post
Sorry for the stupid question, but what is the MLNQ?
It's the Mouvement de Libération Nationale du Québec. A group that promotes QC's independence.

http://www.mlnq.org/indexp/frindp.htm

Old
09-05-2012, 12:56 AM
vokiel
Registered Settler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayatollah Chowmeini View Post
Sorry for the stupid question, but what is the MLNQ?
Quebec's Militia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mouveme...du_Qu%C3%A9bec

Old
09-05-2012, 01:16 AM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
Assassination attempt against our brand new PM and we're to blame ? The English media about Québec politics is far worse than the French media is about the Habs...
Apples and oranges. When the dust has settled one is discussing REAL LIFE ISSUES and the other is discussing whether Gomez deserves more playing time than Louis Leblanc. Clear your head buddy.

And I'm an avid Gazette hater.

Old
09-05-2012, 02:00 AM
Rbk
MontrealCulinary*****

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Rbk Send a message via Skype™ to Rbk
http://www.cbc.ca/player/Shows/ID/2275947057/
put in full screen between 5 and 6 seconds you see a the bullet hit right side beside her head on the screen behind her :S
rip to the family

Old
09-05-2012, 02:06 AM
FF de Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Apples and oranges. When the dust has settled one is discussing REAL LIFE ISSUES and the other is discussing whether Gomez deserves more playing time than Louis Leblanc. Clear your head buddy.

And I'm an avid Gazette hater.
Of course it's apples and oranges. I'm comparing a gunman at the inaugural speech of our new prime minister and the death of one man... to hockey. It is a real issue. That looney tried to assassinate Marois !

Old
09-05-2012, 02:08 AM
Rbk
MontrealCulinary*****

Send a message via MSN to Rbk Send a message via Skype™ to Rbk
http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/el...pq-un-mort.php
truck with full of guns wow

Old
09-05-2012, 02:13 AM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbk View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/player/Shows/ID/2275947057/
put in full screen between 5 and 6 seconds you see a the bullet hit right side beside her head on the screen behind her :S
rip to the family
Apparently, you can see the same black spot behind on earlier video sequences. It's probably just a black pixel on the screen behind.

Old
09-05-2012, 02:31 AM
pachorella

Sad night in Quebec, Rip for the concerned family. I am defo sure only an ill person would come with a truck fully loaded with weapons to a political party. We want a safe montreal, where guns are not accessible for everyone.Though I dont agree with Pauline Marois on political matters and we are not here to discuss politics, but one must admire her courage, coldness and the way she handled the situation and her security who protected her without pulling guns and showing arms which would have created panic in the crowd.

Old
09-05-2012, 02:35 AM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
Hopefully this event will bring us together, not tear us apart more than we already are. It is *** crazy! I hope people won't generalize the actions of ONE idiot
This seems isolated, but If Only!!! Never tread waters your not ready to cross.

Old
09-05-2012, 03:19 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Anyone who lets the actions of a crazy man affect their opinion of the world needs to have their head checked BIG TIME.

The anglophone community isn't responsible for the act of this man and neither should they have to bear the consequences of his actions. Also, this should in no way spark a political debate. It's completely idiotic. Nobody asked this guy to do what he did. Anyone who tries to make a political argument out of this should not be validated by a rational answer, in my opinion.

I'll end by wishing a speedy recovery to the person that was hurt and sending my sympathies to the family and friends of the victim. Tragic way to end an otherwise exciting electoral night.

Old
09-05-2012, 03:27 AM
PhysicX

vCash: 74
I hope this won't further divide the francos and anglos of Quebec... Terrible news and R.I.P. to the victim.

Stay civilized, whatever your political views and beliefs are

Old
09-05-2012, 03:47 AM
Rosso Scuderia

I don't know if I should admire her or think she's stupid for coming back in that stage moments after the gunman shot the two people in the back. I know she had good intentions but when she came back, there was a dead body and another injured person just behind that stage.

Police will not admit it yet but I think Marois was really close at being killed. Thank god the gunman did not decide or try to shoot every person that got in his way to the stage where Marois was.

Old
09-05-2012, 04:20 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
Anyone who lets the actions of a crazy man affect their opinion of the world needs to have their head checked BIG TIME.

The anglophone community isn't responsible for the act of this man and neither should they have to bear the consequences of his actions. Also, this should in no way spark a political debate. It's completely idiotic. Nobody asked this guy to do what he did. Anyone who tries to make a political argument out of this should not be validated by a rational answer, in my opinion.

I'll end by wishing a speedy recovery to the person that was hurt and sending my sympathies to the family and friends of the victim. Tragic way to end an otherwise exciting electoral night.
Good post.

Old
09-05-2012, 05:12 AM
Hab-a-maniac

I'm not a fan of Marois and the PQ but the last thing any of us needs is an assassination of any premier or prime minister or whatever. Needless to say, I wouldn't want it for anybody even if I disliked their politics. What annoys me is the increasing violence people are stooping to to get their message across in Quebec, whether it be this loony tunes or the "student" protests. Quebec was doing well for so long with discussions and differences never devolving into chaos and anarchy. I just hope these are isolated incidents and not the wave of the future for this or any province really.

Old
09-05-2012, 06:16 AM
Davebo
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
Assassination attempt against our brand new PM and we're to blame ? The English media about Québec politics is far worse than the French media is about the Habs...
PM? Getting ahead of yourself, son...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post

I hope the MLNQ won't use this event to ***** against anglos...
I hope a group like the MLNQ DIDN'T do this so as to stir up a negative reaction against anglos.

But more likely it's the actions of one deranged loser. Condolences to the families affected

Old
09-05-2012, 07:03 AM
PricePkPatch

This is a tragedy. No matter what side of the political fence you stood, the fact is that violence had been expunged from the National Debate for... decades now. It was now unthinkable to achieve one's end through force and blood.

Until last night. I hope it will remain a sad and isolated event.

Old
09-05-2012, 07:13 AM
QcS

Quote:

Agreed. That being said, FFS does have a point that the media in the last few weeks was all about fear of a PQ government. I'm not surprised that a deranged man acted this way. Of course, normal people would not do this.

But that also makes me remember how people painted all separatists with the same brush in the 70's following the actions of the very small group (FLQ).

Sad events all around, but when it's around a topic that's so emotional for all, a few loonies going crazy will unfortunately happen.

Old
09-05-2012, 07:43 AM
LeMAD

People take politics too seriously. I know that guy is nut, but how many people on each side take the separation thing like if it would be the end of the world.

Whether Quebec becomes a country or not, it won't change much of anything.

Old
09-05-2012, 08:12 AM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
Yes. I'm french speaking and voted for the PQ, but I don't believe this crazy guy represent the anglo community at all. They have more class than that.
People in general have more class than that. Don't let the nuts drive the debate.

Old
09-05-2012, 08:25 AM
Jafar
Keep it logical

people should calm down

Old
09-05-2012, 08:27 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:

I wish then that people would stop saying the separatist movement is a violent one because what happened with the FLQ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hab-a-maniac View Post
I'm not a fan of Marois and the PQ but the last thing any of us needs is an assassination of any premier or prime minister or whatever. Needless to say, I wouldn't want it for anybody even if I disliked their politics. What annoys me is the increasing violence people are stooping to to get their message across in Quebec, whether it be this loony tunes or the "student" protests. Quebec was doing well for so long with discussions and differences never devolving into chaos and anarchy. I just hope these are isolated incidents and not the wave of the future for this or any province really.
Are you really comparing the death by shooting of an innocent man and the couple broken windows in student protests ???

Old
09-05-2012, 08:28 AM
Bob Lemoche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alazais View Post
What a terrible idea. As a former Quebec resident and English Only speaking Quebecker this will not help the cause of the Anglo Speakers. They are causing more harm and only delegitimizing their chances of succeeding within their goals. Sad day that the PQ won, and a sad day that the Anglo's have reacted so poorly.
As opposed to re-electing the ultra corrupted Liberals headed by perhaps the worse prime minister Quebec has ever seen ? Please...

Old
09-05-2012, 08:29 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
People take politics too seriously. I know that guy is nut, but how many people on each side take the separation thing like if it would be the end of the world.

Whether Quebec becomes a country or not, it won't change much of anything.
Which is why it will not happen, because neither side is going to invest the huge amount of time, resources, and money to divide the country into something that is basically the same in the end anyway.

Old
09-05-2012, 08:31 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Hopefully the IVAC will compensate the victim's family somehow...

Old
09-05-2012, 08:46 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Has the truck full of guns been tied to this ?

Probably just gangs who got caught.

Closed Thread