HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

OT Thread Part II: "We Successfully Made it Past Part I" Edition

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-05-2012, 06:47 AM
  #976
blue425
Registered User
 
blue425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 2,246
vCash: 500
Wife is a tea drinker. Teavana has some amazing ****, but can get expensive. Especially the blooming stuff.

McNultys down on Christopher is our go to for coffee and tea now.

As for Maiden:

J94- Piece of Mind is a great album. And if you cut the title track, Sun and Steel, and Quest for Fire it would be even better. Those are probably my three least favorite Maiden tracks ever.

I like Killers and their debut for what they are. More punky, especially with DiAnno singing.

Im curious though Tawnos, what tracks on that collection of albums are you not a fan of? Notb, PS, SOT(I never understood the hate), and Seventh Son are masterpieces.

Npftd- Let's forget that one ever happened.

More Maiden talk!

blue425 is online now  
Old
09-05-2012, 06:53 AM
  #977
Jabroni
Moderator
The Corporate Mod
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue425 View Post
Wife is a tea drinker. Teavana has some amazing ****, but can get expensive. Especially the blooming stuff.

McNultys down on Christopher is our go to for coffee and tea now.

As for Maiden:

J94- Piece of Mind is a great album. And if you cut the title track, Sun and Steel, and Quest for Fire it would be even better. Those are probably my three least favorite Maiden tracks ever.

I like Killers and their debut for what they are. More punky, especially with DiAnno singing.

Im curious though Tawnos, what tracks on that collection of albums are you not a fan of? Notb, PS, SOT(I never understood the hate), and Seventh Son are masterpieces.

Npftd- Let's forget that one ever happened.

More Maiden talk!
Somewhere In Time is their most underrated. I love it.

Tailgunner is a good song from NPFTD. Mother Russia as well.

I've never really listened to To Tame A Land on Piece Of Mind.

Aces High is one of my favorite songs.

The first two albums are very good.

Hallowed Be Thy Name is a classic.

Jabroni is offline  
Old
09-05-2012, 07:04 AM
  #978
blue425
Registered User
 
blue425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 2,246
vCash: 500
To Tame a Land is actually very good, don't be put off by the running time. It's been a while but I think its eight or nine minutes.

Dance of Death suffers from a similar flaw as POM. 11songs, and the first nine are mostly good to great with one amazing (Paschendale) but the last two are terrible.

blue425 is online now  
Old
09-05-2012, 07:14 AM
  #979
Jabroni
Moderator
The Corporate Mod
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue425 View Post
To Tame a Land is actually very good, don't be put off by the running time. It's been a while but I think its eight or nine minutes.

Dance of Death suffers from a similar flaw as POM. 11songs, and the first nine are mostly good to great with one amazing (Paschendale) but the last two are terrible.
I'll definitely listen to it. I love Rime from PS which runs at 13 minutes, so this shouldn't be a problem.

Jabroni is offline  
Old
09-05-2012, 07:35 AM
  #980
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,988
vCash: 500
Let's talk Testament

Silence Of The Plams is offline  
Old
09-05-2012, 07:46 AM
  #981
Jabroni
Moderator
The Corporate Mod
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
Let's talk Testament
Old or new?


Jabroni is offline  
Old
09-05-2012, 09:06 AM
  #982
Tawnos
Moderator
BoH Mod Only
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue425 View Post
Im curious though Tawnos, what tracks on that collection of albums are you not a fan of? Notb, PS, SOT(I never understood the hate), and Seventh Son are masterpieces.
From the three albums you mentioned that apply to what I said.

Somewhere in Time: Heaven Can Wait, Loneliness of The Long Distance Runner, parts of Alexander the Great (this song is 8 minutes long, so parts of it are terrible and parts of it are great)

Seventh Son: Moonchild (yeah, I don't like the opening track. it really hurts the album), Can I Play With Madness, Only the Good Die Young. Interestingly, I really like The Clairvoyant. It's like a mini-preview of The X Factor, which is an album I actually like quite a bit. Virtual XI not so much from the Blaze catalog.

Also, Piece of Mind: Revelations, Die With Your Boots On, Quest for Fire, Sun and Steel.

The DiAnno albums are a different style, so we don't have to break those down.

Tawnos is offline  
Old
09-05-2012, 09:11 AM
  #983
Tawnos
Moderator
BoH Mod Only
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
Let's talk Testament
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
Old or new?

I know you were punning there Jabroni, but it's still a valid question.

So let's talk Testament. I'm wasn't a fan of Formation of Damnation. I like just about everything they've done besides that. You can split them into 2 eras. The Legacy-The Ritual is "old Testament." The Ritual is alright. You can understand what they were trying to do, having seen the success of Metallica's Black Album. Practice What You Preach and Souls of Black are a bit inconsistent, but still good. Low-Dark Roots of the Earth is "new Testament". Low is my personal favorite. Demonic is interesting going much more death metal. The Gathering is great, but put on a higher pedestal than I put it. Dark Roots reminds me of Pantera.

And the best thing they ever put out was First Strike Still Deadly, which has the maturity of albums like Low and The Gathering, but is the music from The Legacy and New Order. Those re-recordings are phenomenal.


Last edited by Tawnos: 09-05-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Tawnos is offline  
Old
09-05-2012, 10:12 AM
  #984
Jabroni
Moderator
The Corporate Mod
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
From the three albums you mentioned that apply to what I said.

Somewhere in Time: Heaven Can Wait, Loneliness of The Long Distance Runner, parts of Alexander the Great (this song is 8 minutes long, so parts of it are terrible and parts of it are great)

Seventh Son: Moonchild (yeah, I don't like the opening track. it really hurts the album), Can I Play With Madness, Only the Good Die Young. Interestingly, I really like The Clairvoyant. It's like a mini-preview of The X Factor, which is an album I actually like quite a bit. Virtual XI not so much from the Blaze catalog.

Also, Piece of Mind: Revelations, Die With Your Boots On, Quest for Fire, Sun and Steel.

The DiAnno albums are a different style, so we don't have to break those down.
Some solid tracks you named there:

Revelations, Moonchild, Die With Your Boots On, Can I Play With Madness.

To each his own I guess.

Do you like new Maiden (Brave New World ---> The Final Frontier)?

Jabroni is offline  
Old
09-05-2012, 10:30 AM
  #985
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,011
vCash: 500
Hey guys, my girlfriend and I are looking for new cars, we have differing price points but I am looking at the following:

2013 Subaru Legacy
2013 Nissan Altima
2013 Nissan Rogue
2012 Infiniti G37X
2013 Ford Escape
2013 Chevy Cruze
2013 Toyota Prius

I have done some research and am a pretty big car guy (some of the cars above are not for me but for her). Does anyone have any experience owning any of the above? Or know someone with one that has some info?

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
09-05-2012, 10:32 AM
  #986
blue425
Registered User
 
blue425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 2,246
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
Some solid tracks you named there:

Revelations, Moonchild, Die With Your Boots On, Can I Play With Madness.

To each his own I guess.

Do you like new Maiden (Brave New World ---> The Final Frontier)?
That's exactly what I thought and the order I thought it.

"Whoa. Those are some great songs, but to each their own"

Hey J- Which do you like better: Matter of Life and Death or Final Frontier?

I also have to declare my love/hate relationship with The Legacy on AMOLAD.

The first five minutes I can't stand, but the last five are amazing.

blue425 is online now  
Old
09-05-2012, 10:44 AM
  #987
Jabroni
Moderator
The Corporate Mod
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue425 View Post
That's exactly what I thought and the order I thought it.

"Whoa. Those are some great songs, but to each their own"

Hey J- Which do you like better: Matter of Life and Death or Final Frontier?

I also have to declare my love/hate relationship with The Legacy on AMOLAD.

The first five minutes I can't stand, but the last five are amazing.
I've never listened to either album fully I believe, but I'm going with TFF over AMOLAD.

The Talisman and Starblind are great.

Check out the live version of The Talisman from En Vivo. Bruce is awesome.

Jabroni is offline  
Old
09-05-2012, 10:56 AM
  #988
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...
 
Mint Berry Crunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: Pakistan
Posts: 1,945
vCash: 1081
Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Hey guys, my girlfriend and I are looking for new cars, we have differing price points but I am looking at the following:

2013 Subaru Legacy
2013 Nissan Altima
2013 Nissan Rogue
2012 Infiniti G37X
2013 Ford Escape
2013 Chevy Cruze
2013 Toyota Prius

I have done some research and am a pretty big car guy (some of the cars above are not for me but for her). Does anyone have any experience owning any of the above? Or know someone with one that has some info?
I've always been a Nissan/Infiniti advocate (Altima Coupe owner) so you can't go wrong with any of those. the '13 Altima sedan is practical and pretty tech-heavy for its price. If you're considering the G37 sedan, the Maxima is also worth a look.

If you're not in a rush, there's supposed to be a redesigned G released in late 2013. May be worth it.

Mint Berry Crunch is offline  
Old
09-05-2012, 10:59 AM
  #989
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...
 
Mint Berry Crunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: Pakistan
Posts: 1,945
vCash: 1081
Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
So... Nokia just announced the Lumia 920 and it looks pretty solid, TBH.



http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/05/n...gon-s4-cpu-wi/

All's I know is that I'm absolutely DONE with my Blackberry (recently jumped on to the Bold 9900 and regretful.)

Decisions, decisions... not sure if I should hop onto the iPhone 5, the Lumia, or Samsung's S III.

Mint Berry Crunch is offline  
Old
09-05-2012, 11:09 AM
  #990
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM
 
The Dark Passenger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Vermont -> Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 1,350
vCash: 500
Just got a Samsung Galaxy S3 yesterday. The thing is freakin awesome. That is all

The Dark Passenger is offline  
Old
09-05-2012, 11:17 AM
  #991
Krishna
Registered User
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 82,046
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Passenger View Post
Just got a Samsung Galaxy S3 yesterday. The thing is freakin awesome. That is all
I got the samsung galaxy 4g last year.. So awesome

Krishna is offline  
Old
09-05-2012, 11:27 AM
  #992
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...
 
Mint Berry Crunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: Pakistan
Posts: 1,945
vCash: 1081
Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Passenger View Post
Just got a Samsung Galaxy S3 yesterday. The thing is freakin awesome. That is all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
I got the samsung galaxy 4g last year.. So awesome
I'm definitely interested in the new line of Samsung phones, I've heard from a few people there's some noticeable lag or inefficiencies strewn about Samsung's UI -- have y'all come across any of that? What has your experience with your respective handsets been like?

Before the BB9900, I was an iOS guy all the way and I'm still considering waiting up for the iPhone 5 announcement because of my mostly amicable experience with Apple products.

Mint Berry Crunch is offline  
Old
09-05-2012, 11:29 AM
  #993
Cresto
Much Disappoint
 
Cresto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
I got the samsung galaxy 4g last year.. So awesome
The only phone owners who are without regret are the Samsung galaxy owners. Everyone else, blackberry, iPhone, HTC, etc. become dissatisfied after awhile. iPhone here. Next upgrade will not be an iPhone.

Cresto is offline  
Old
09-05-2012, 11:29 AM
  #994
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light
 
Hobgoblin Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bay Ridge
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,947
vCash: 500
ive got the LG g2x, and this POS locks up all the friggen time. I pay for insurance when things go wrong, but they dont cover when there are software issues. But if I break it like a jerkface they'll cover it and Id get a new phone. How stupid.

My contract is up in May, and idk whether or not to switch carriers. Im paying 92$/mo after a 12% CUNY (not a student anymore) discount. I have that T-mobile 79.99 unlimited everything plan. Id really like to not pay that much, but how can I have internet/text/phone without paying that much? How much do you guys pay?

Hobgoblin Steve is offline  
Old
09-05-2012, 11:35 AM
  #995
Cresto
Much Disappoint
 
Cresto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Hey guys, my girlfriend and I are looking for new cars, we have differing price points but I am looking at the following:

2013 Subaru Legacy
2013 Nissan Altima
2013 Nissan Rogue
2012 Infiniti G37X
2013 Ford Escape
2013 Chevy Cruze
2013 Toyota Prius

I have done some research and am a pretty big car guy (some of the cars above are not for me but for her). Does anyone have any experience owning any of the above? Or know someone with one that has some info?
Yello. I drove my friend's Nissan Rogue not long ago. It wasn't the smoothest drive compared to other cars and certainly not to some of the ones you've listed above. Also, the style of Rogue is a bit weird. The overall engineering on the Rogue pales in comparison to other SUVs. Not as much zroom zroom.

Cresto is offline  
Old
09-05-2012, 11:35 AM
  #996
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint Berry Crunch View Post
So... Nokia just announced the Lumia 920 and it looks pretty solid, TBH.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/05/n...gon-s4-cpu-wi/

All's I know is that I'm absolutely DONE with my Blackberry (recently jumped on to the Bold 9900 and regretful.)

Decisions, decisions... not sure if I should hop onto the iPhone 5, the Lumia, or Samsung's S III.
Really like the industrial design of the phone. Can't comment on Windows Phone 8 because I haven't played with it yet, but as a UX guy, I really enjoy the Metro styling in the UI.

What really disappoints me is the lack of groundbreaking innovation in the mobile scene since the iPhone was released (No, I'm not an Apple guy). I really dug my Palm Pre, but the build quality was total garbage and the dev community never took off. Like my Galaxy S2, but it's certainly not revolutionary. 5 years since the iPhone was released, and we've yet to see anything mind-blowing. Google Glass is cool, but I don't think it's all that practical.

That being said, what really needs an overhaul is the world around us. Especially in the states.

Trxjw is offline  
Old
09-05-2012, 11:36 AM
  #997
Jabroni
Moderator
The Corporate Mod
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,542
vCash: 500
Samsung Galaxy S III owner here. Great phone.

Jabroni is offline  
Old
09-05-2012, 11:36 AM
  #998
blue425
Registered User
 
blue425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 2,246
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post
The only phone owners who are without regret are the Samsung galaxy owners. Everyone else, blackberry, iPhone, HTC, etc. become dissatisfied after awhile. iPhone here. Next upgrade will not be an iPhone.
Not when you're rooted, overclocked(not so much anymore), and running the latest OS you technically are not supposed to have.

blue425 is online now  
Old
09-05-2012, 11:39 AM
  #999
Krishna
Registered User
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 82,046
vCash: 50
Someone should open up the OT Thread Part III

Krishna is offline  
Old
09-05-2012, 11:47 AM
  #1000
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 45,651
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Someone should open up the OT Thread Part III
Done.

__________________
"New day, new hope. Richards Buyout 2014". -Ail
Bob Richards is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:11 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.