HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason Thread Part IX: WTF is Pitkanen worth anyway? Not $4.5 million apparently ‎

Old
09-04-2012, 10:22 AM
Guy

vCash: 500
Came here just to see if Boychuk speculation had started.

Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 10:51 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
Three first rounders for a two way defenseman. Welcome to the NHL jr. He would've been shot in TO.

There was no way to know how the picks would turn out. I would argue samsonov was better than seguin in their rookie years. Mclaren was a moster dman too. In fact seguin has his work cut out to be better than Sammy was his first five years, he'll probably do it but it'll take work. I think the two deals are actually very similar even in terms of who the players are. A forward and a d as the top 2, both impact players. Mclaren had a huge role at a young age for the B's.

Actually Sammy crushed the rookie year comparison.
Yep, no question on either point. McLaren was an excellent young dman (which is why I typed the "we'll see" for Hamilton), solid top pairing defensive dman not just for Boston but later then Sharks as well. And Samsonov's rookie season destroyed Seguin's, though Seguin's second season was definitely the better of the two second seasons.

But likewise it has to be pointed out that despite the Canes getting a top pairing dman here for years (as Kessel has been a top line winger in Toronto for years) it wasn't until the Canes made the Cup Finals with Wesley in a leadership role that the trade looked anywhere near even.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 11:48 AM
NotOpie
HeDidn'tReallyDoThat

Send a message via Yahoo to NotOpie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
Oh god. Dalpe but not Boychuk.
Yup, we're gonna hear about that one....unless young Zach shows up tomorrow....he has been training pretty hard over the summer according to reports here and here. But if he doesn't show up for this type of stuff, he's got more of a tin ear than anything.

NotOpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 12:02 PM
Brock Anton
wat

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac247 View Post
Today starts the informal practices at RCI. There may be no CBA in sight, but 16 guys showed up:

All 3 Staals, Gleason, Faulk, Harrison, Tlusty, Dwyer, Stewart, Dalpe, LaRose, Pitkanen, Ward, Peters, Corvo and Nodl
Why do we have him again?

Brock Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 12:19 PM
Blueline Bomber
1st Overall Pick

Avs name Landeskog their captain. He becomes the youngest captain in NHL history, beating Crosby for that record by 11 days.

I like this, simply because that commentary has been getting old with regards to Crosby.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 12:27 PM
caniac247

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotOpie View Post
Yup, we're gonna hear about that one....unless young Zach shows up tomorrow....he has been training pretty hard over the summer according to reports here and here. But if he doesn't show up for this type of stuff, he's got more of a tin ear than anything.

According to Zach he isn't showing up until the CBA is resolved. Well I read an article where he said that the 'younger' guys won't show up early due to the uncertainity of the CBA.

Will be interesting to see which Checkers players show up this week (Dalpe, Staal) and which ones are in Zach's boat and decide to wait it out.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 01:09 PM
Oenatzu
Chad-in-the-Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
Avs name Landeskog their captain. He becomes the youngest captain in NHL history, beating Crosby for that record by 11 days.

I like this, simply because that commentary has been getting old with regards to Crosby.
Didn't expect this to happen so soon, even though Landeskog seems like a guy that was going to wear the C sooner rather than later.

Oenatzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 03:27 PM
Stephen Goalbert
Puck Don't Lie

Wow. That's amazing. Good for Lando, great kid.

Stephen Goalbert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 04:13 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac247 View Post
According to Zach he isn't showing up until the CBA is resolved. Well I read an article where he said that the 'younger' guys won't show up early due to the uncertainity of the CBA.

Will be interesting to see which Checkers players show up this week (Dalpe, Staal) and which ones are in Zach's boat and decide to wait it out.
For a guy in as tenuous a position as his is, he should be showing up, CBA or no CBA. If he shows up and works hard, he makes a good impression on the team leaders and on coaches and management- and since his dedication has been one of the things questioned, that's an impression he really should be making.

At this point, I don't think he's ever going to crack the NHL on anything near a full time basis- not because he doesn't have the skill, but because he really doesn't seem to be willing to outwork other guys who have the skill as well. If he wants to crack the team, optional events aren't.

cptjeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 04:16 PM
semin4captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
For a guy in as tenuous a position as his is, he should be showing up, CBA or no CBA. If he shows up and works hard, he makes a good impression on the team leaders and on coaches and management- and since his dedication has been one of the things questioned, that's an impression he really should be making.

At this point, I don't think he's ever going to crack the NHL on anything near a full time basis- not because he doesn't have the skill, but because he really doesn't seem to be willing to outwork other guys who have the skill as well. If he wants to crack the team, optional events aren't.
This is an awful post

semin4captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 04:20 PM
Carolinas Identity
#ducksbadnwagon :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by We Like Our Group View Post
This is an awful post
Maybe if we aquired his brother Johnny from the Bruins he'd be more inclined to work harder?

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 06:45 PM
Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post

here's what I was looking for earlier

Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 07:28 PM
WWAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Anton View Post
Why do we have him again?
He had the best Harris Teeter sub sandwich.

WWAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 05:35 AM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

lol at this:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=640458

Chad LaRose only LW of ours ranked in the top 40, ranked as 37th best LW in league for fantasy purposes......wtf?

Semin Ranked 17th and Skinner 35th in RWs
E Staal ranked 9th and J Staal ranked 27th in Centers
Pitkanen ranked 31st and Faulk 57th in Defense
Ward ranked 4th behind Lundqvist, Rinne, Quick

this IS just fantasy, but still.....wtf with Char?

Anton Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 07:40 AM
Joe McGrath

Skinner didn't show up for Camp LaRose? Just shows that he hasn't grown up at all. Look for a season of temper tantrums and pouting when he doesn't get his way.....

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 09:43 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
Skinner didn't show up for Camp LaRose? Just shows that he hasn't grown up at all. Look for a season of temper tantrums and pouting when he doesn't get his way.....
Smart move on his part. Would you want to go on the same ice as your bitter rival and his two brothers heading into work uncertainty? I mean, Eric doesn't even have to be the one to make the hit, I'm sure he and Jordan can pay Jared a couple thou a piece. That's pocket change for them.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 10:07 AM
Boom Boom Anton

So what is the deal with Welsh? Did I miss him being signed or is he still not signed?

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 10:12 AM
Blueline Bomber
1st Overall Pick

Still not signed. When last asked, the beat writers/reporters (Chip, Smith, Forslund, etc) assured that the two sides were working on it.

I'm sticking to the idea that JR completely forgot he was on the team.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 10:22 AM
semin4captain

He's a locker room cancer, obviously. Players who don't accept their qualifying offers are locker room cancers. See Babchuk.

Old
09-05-2012, 10:33 AM
Boom Boom Anton

How long before fans start complaining about Semin not being at the informal skates?

Old
09-05-2012, 10:36 AM
Anton Dubinchuk
go perds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
How long before fans start complaining about Semin not being at the informal skates?
I can't believe Semin isn't at the informal skates.

EDIT: So what was that, 3 minutes? Jeez Canes fans are dumb sometimes...

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 10:44 AM
semin4captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
Already done. Check Facebook

Old
09-05-2012, 10:45 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Like Our Group View Post
Already done. Check Facebook
I should have guessed. I prefer to stay away from the Facebook page for the most part.

Old
09-05-2012, 10:51 AM
Anton Dubinchuk
go perds

Reporting posts about Semin on the FB page and marking as "sexually explicit" >>>>>>>

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 11:38 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I can't believe Welsh had a $12 million cap hit last season, played one game in which he didn't score, and now has the audacity to hold out on us. What does he want? $24 million to play no games? Does he think he's Joni Pitkanen?

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote