Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Kitchener Rangers 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
08-31-2012, 11:49 AM
BenchedGuy

vCash: 500
While I wasnt really thinking Blasby and Learn would make this squad I thought they would have been around until the final cuts to give them more time with the team/system as I thought they would be one of the first call ups.

Glad to see Stewart still around. He could be a wild card in this pending on any trades that may come.

Old
09-04-2012, 01:32 AM
EvenSteven

I have questions regarding the fact the Rangers have three imports in camp.

OHL teams can only have two imports on the roster. This year was the 1st year teams could pick an import player as insurance should they lose one of their two protected imports off their roster prematurely. (Call it the Boedker/Landeskog rule for Ranger fans). So, the Rangers chose Juraj Bezuch in this year's import draft.

With that in mind, the questions:

1) Since the NHL and NHLPA are in negotiations, how long can the Rangers have all three imports in Kitchener? Is there a cut off date? Has there been an exception made to any possible cut off date in the event there is a delay to the NHL season? Can any two imports play games once the OHL season starts?

2) In the event there is an NHL season, how long do the Rangers have to "deal with" the three import situation once Faksa is returned to the Rangers?

3) If Faksa is returned, does Bezuch have to be the odd man out? Example: What if, by the time Faksa has returned (who knows, that could be a while), Rieder has sustained some type of season ending injury. Could the Rangers then opt to keep Bezuch over Rieder?

Considering the Rangers are looking for at least two OA's, and should be dealing Bezuch, would a deal like the following (maybe pick(s) involved as well) make sense for both sides?

To Missy: 93W - Juraj Bezuch
93G - Frankie Palazzese

To Kit: 92W - Riley Brace

The Rangers need a quality OA and Brace would be just that.

I believe (but I may be wrong) that Missy is without a veteran goaltender and short one import player. If that is the case, in Bezuch, Missy would get an offensive talent who, by all accounts, should be close to point a game player. In Palazzese, they'd get a #1 goalie who would be a very good candidate to be around for an OA season next year.

Thoughts?

Old
09-04-2012, 05:51 AM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenSteven View Post

OHL teams can only have two imports on the roster. This year was the 1st year teams could pick an import player as insurance should they lose one of their two protected imports off their roster prematurely. (Call it the Boedker/Landeskog rule for Ranger fans). So, the Rangers chose Juraj Bezuch in this year's import draft.

1) Since the NHL and NHLPA are in negotiations, how long can the Rangers have all three imports in Kitchener? Is there a cut off date? Has there been an exception made to any possible cut off date in the event there is a delay to the NHL season? Can any two imports play games once the OHL season starts?

2) In the event there is an NHL season, how long do the Rangers have to "deal with" the three import situation once Faksa is returned to the Rangers?

3) If Faksa is returned, does Bezuch have to be the odd man out? Example: What if, by the time Faksa has returned (who knows, that could be a while), Rieder has sustained some type of season ending injury. Could the Rangers then opt to keep Bezuch over Rieder?

Considering the Rangers are looking for at least two OA's, and should be dealing Bezuch, would a deal like the following (maybe pick(s) involved as well) make sense for both sides?

93G - Frankie Palazzese

I believe (but I may be wrong) that Missy is without a veteran goaltender and short one import player. If that is the case, in Bezuch, Missy would get an offensive talent who, by all accounts, should be close to point a game player. In Palazzese, they'd get a #1 goalie who would be a very good candidate to be around for an OA season next year.

Thoughts?
Since the same thing is happening with Quebec, same rules must apply to Kitchener.

1) As long as there is a lock out, the team can keep the three imports on their roster. However, you have to stick with the same two until the lock out is over, the third one can stay on your list but he can't play.

2) The team will have 14 days to trade or release one of the imports once Faksa is sent back.

3) Once Faksa returns, the team can trade or release any of the three.

Old
09-04-2012, 09:17 AM
BenchedGuy

After watching this weekends games, I too was thinking what the situation is with Bezuch. He is one of the player that stood out at times.

You would have to think he's in a difficult situation right now. He has to know that if Rieder and Faksa come back after NHL camps (if they happen) that he is the odd man out. As well if it is a prolonged lockout, he is still the odd man out. You would think at this point that he is auditioning for a roster spot elsewhere.

Old
09-04-2012, 09:39 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:

93G - Frankie Palazzese

Thoughts?
I'm not sure you'll see Frankie dealt until Gibson is confirmed that he'll be back from the NHL then there's also the time away for Gibson during the WJHC.
IMHO....you'll see two separate deals in regards to Bezuch and FP, having separate deals deals tend to maximize the returns.
Of course in both deals pending what's involved players and picks could be involved (coming and going).
One team that could use Bezuch is Kingston.
They've had a horrendous history in getting imports and I believe (too busy to confirm right now) that they have two spots open.
Not sure what they have that could interest Spott.

Old
09-04-2012, 10:29 AM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
One team that could use Bezuch is Kingston.
They've had a horrendous history in getting imports and I believe (too busy to confirm right now) that they have two spots open.
Not sure what they have that could interest Spott.
Kingston has both spots filled. Henri Ikonen and Mikko Vainonen. Can't comment on Ikonen, but Vainonen is a quality player.

Mississauga and Oshawa each have one spot open, but Id guess someone like Sondre Olden would be coveted ahead of Bezuch.

Old
09-04-2012, 10:34 AM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
Kingston has both spots filled. Henri Ikonen and Mikko Vainonen. Can't comment on Ikonen, but Vainonen is a quality player.

Mississauga and Oshawa each have one spot open, but Id guess someone like Sondre Olden would be coveted ahead of Bezuch.
Just wondering what your insight would be on teams that could use an upgrade on their current import for Bezuch?

Old
09-04-2012, 09:03 PM
ohlman22

Caught a Newmarket preseason game saw brandon get 5 pts. His skating is way advanced to the other players

Old
09-04-2012, 11:54 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
Since the same thing is happening with Quebec, same rules must apply to Kitchener.

1) As long as there is a lock out, the team can keep the three imports on their roster. However, you have to stick with the same two until the lock out is over, the third one can stay on your list but he can't play.

2) The team will have 14 days to trade or release one of the imports once Faksa is sent back.

3) Once Faksa returns, the team can trade or release any of the three.

Thanks for the info. It cleared up a lot of uncertainty.

Old
09-05-2012, 12:00 AM
EvenSteven

Quote:
I'm not sure you'll see Frankie dealt until Gibson is confirmed that he'll be back from the NHL then there's also the time away for Gibson during the WJHC.

Frankie won't be dealt until Gibson comes back. But if I'm Spott, I deal Frankie shortly after Gibson comes back and preferrably before the WJC.

Reason being, that I'd want to have Moylan in net for the time Gibson is away at the WJC to see if he can "carry the mail" so to speak. Spott will need to know that going forward. If Moylan can, then we have a capable backup. If he can't, then Spott would have to try and pick up a capable veteran backup for what could be a long playoff run in the event that Gibson may suffer an injury.

Old
09-05-2012, 12:01 AM
EvenSteven

Quote:

....but, Olden is also an OA. That may make Bezuch more appealing since most teams rarely use an import spot and an OA spot on one player.

Old
09-05-2012, 09:56 AM
Tigers1992

Quote:
....but, Olden is also an OA. That may make Bezuch more appealing since most teams rarely use an import spot and an OA spot on one player.
Olden is a better player, and there are very few quality OA's out there on the market. It's something they are looking at.

Old
09-05-2012, 12:32 PM
hockeylegend11

Just saw on his twitter winger Domenic Alberga 20 is now a Ranger

Old
09-05-2012, 12:47 PM
BenchedGuy

Its on loosepucks but nothing I see confirmed yet by the league.

Old
09-05-2012, 12:52 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchedGuy View Post
Its on loosepucks but nothing I see confirmed yet by the league.
Loosepucks doesn't report it unless registered with the league, thats how Terry works.

Old
09-05-2012, 12:59 PM
BenchedGuy

Its official now. Media release from the Rangers

Quote:
Kitchener Rangers General Manager and Head Coach Steve Spott announced today that the team has completed a trade with the Sarnia Sting.

In the deal, the Rangers send a sixth round pick in the 2013 Ontario Hockey League Priority Selection (acquired from Windsor) to Sarnia in exchange for centre Domenic Alberga.

Old
09-05-2012, 12:59 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Loosepucks doesn't report it unless registered with the league, thats how Terry works.
Confirmed..
http://www.kitchenerrangers.com/arti...cquire-alberga

Old
09-05-2012, 01:36 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Good hockey trade. Alberga is a great kid and player. Brings a lot to a contending team

Old
09-05-2012, 07:56 PM
krauss72

You will love Alberga.

Old
09-05-2012, 10:13 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
Good hockey trade. Alberga is a great kid and player. Brings a lot to a contending team

Well, we'll see. This isn't the high end OA forward that the Rangers need to play on their top six.

But since Spott has said he expects him to be our 3rd line checking center to play against the opponants top lines, this may be a good acquisition at a bargain. Methinks that Spott won't deal for another OA forward until he gets a much better idea as to whether AC actually sticks with the Marlies or not.

I believe that the last thing he'd want to do is have 4 valuable OA's on the roster at the deadline and be forced to give one of them away for next to nothing as was the case with Melchiori last year.

Last edited by EvenSteven: 09-05-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old
09-06-2012, 10:09 AM
ORYX

Quote:
Well, we'll see. This isn't the high end OA forward that the Rangers need to play on their top six.

But since Spott has said he expects him to be our 3rd line checking center to play against the opponants top lines, this may be a good acquisition at a bargain. Methinks that Spott won't deal for another OA forward until he gets a much better idea as to whether AC actually sticks with the Marlies or not.

I believe that the last thing he'd want to do is have 4 valuable OA's on the roster at the deadline and be forced to give one of them away for next to nothing as was the case with Melchiori last year.
I believe a large part of that Melchiori return being underwhelming was that Tyler Randall was returned last minute unexpectedly. Spott was even quoted saying he usually has a good stream of communication with NHL teams and his players, including Tyler, and was last told he wasnt coming back. You can't plan for that.

I don't see the rush personally in adding any further O/A's at the moment. Wait and see with AC (though all indication is he will not be returned. period. According to Mike Farwell). They need to add a 2C, but that doesnt have to be an O/A, and they have pieces to deal.

Franky P will need to go, along with some D. Patience allows for those asstets to be utilized in a manner that returns a quality player(s) of need.

They will know more once the NHL sorts itself out.

A question related to the NHL and potential lockout.

If the NHL is locked out, even for a couple days the OHL regular season will begin. Can players such as Gibson, Reider, Faksa, Peumple, Murphy etc be called to NHL training camp even after the season starts?

Traditionally once they are in junior thats it unless for an emergency call up. However, they havent technically been 'returned' to junior. Has this been talked about anywhere?

Old
09-06-2012, 10:23 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
If the NHL is locked out, even for a couple days the OHL regular season will begin. Can players such as Gibson, Reider, Faksa, Peumple, Murphy etc be called to NHL training camp even after the season starts?

Traditionally once they are in junior thats it unless for an emergency call up. However, they havent technically been 'returned' to junior. Has this been talked about anywhere?
Yes, they can go to the NHL camps according to Bob McKenzie on twitter...
https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie

Old
09-06-2012, 10:31 AM
ORYX

Quote:
Yes, they can go to the NHL camps according to Bob McKenzie on twitter...
https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie
I just read those tweets too. Funny how I ask this question and literally less then 10 minutes later Bobby Mac has the answer!

Old
09-06-2012, 10:53 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
I just read those tweets too. Funny how I ask this question and literally less then 10 minutes later Bobby Mac has the answer!
Oryx speaks...Bobby Mac jumps!!

Old
09-06-2012, 11:39 AM
BenchedGuy

So we could still potentially lose Faksa, Rieder, Murphy and Gibson....ouch.

So right now does our lineup look something like:

Puempel - Faksa - Rieder
Thomson - Sterk - Marcantouni
Ming - Alberga - Bailey
Schmalz - Meighan/Lesway - Llewellyn

Murphy - Fanelli/Iafrate
Fanelli/Iafrate - McEneny
Genovese/Young/Gilbert

Gibson
Palazzese
Moylan

Closed Thread