HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2013-14 Red Wings

Old
09-04-2012, 11:31 AM
sully61
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
Defense of
Kronwall- Edler or White if Edler doesn't workout
Smith- Ericsson
Quincey- Dekeyser

That is probably best case scenario

sully61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 11:41 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

It would be nice of Brunner made it. But I'm not convinced his game will translate. We shall see.

If Brunner makes it, we're at 12 forwards with:
Flip Datysuk Brunner
Franzen Zetterberg Sammy
Bertuzzi Helm Cleary
Miller Abdelkader Tootoo
Mursak Emmerton Eaves

Nyquist making the team---the only way it happens is if a) injury or B) he unseats Miller - because the other guys are guaranteed, knowing the way the Wings do business.

So, I'm optimistic to see Brunner make it, but it comes at a high cost (Nyquist in the minors, Mursak being waived, potentially).

Also, I'm really not convinced that another year in the AHL is going to do Tatar a lick of good at this point. Same can be said for Andersson ...

If we dump Nyquist back in the AHL, that only makes our prospect bottleneck worse. And IMO, the bottleneck is an issue for in terms of development and roster management.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 12:05 PM
TatarTangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Also, I'm really not convinced that another year in the AHL is going to do Tatar a lick of good at this point. Same can be said for Andersson ...
Tatar has been my favorite prospect for some time, it's time for the DRW organization to **** or get off the pot. He does everything right and doesn't leave anything on the ice, he has all the heart and hustle in the world. Use him as trade bait, give him a spot, I don't care. He deserves to be in the NHL.

I don't get all the Brunner love either, don't know why people are expecting him to net 25-30 goals out of the gate when he hasn't played the North American game.

TatarTangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 12:47 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

It may very well come down to Brunner vs Nyquist this season, but if both players are deemed NHL-worthy, then I don't think there is any way it comes down to Nyquist vs Brunner next season. If both are working out, both will be a higher priority than someone like Emmerton. And maybe Mursak too. But as big of a fan of Mursak as I am, he does not have the upside that Nyquist and Brunner do.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 01:19 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
It may very well come down to Brunner vs Nyquist this season, but if both players are deemed NHL-worthy, then I don't think there is any way it comes down to Nyquist vs Brunner next season. If both are working out, both will be a higher priority than someone like Emmerton. And maybe Mursak too. But as big of a fan of Mursak as I am, he does not have the upside that Nyquist and Brunner do.
I think the wings are at a point where they will be making space for young guys to prepare for the losses of Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Between this upcoming season and the 2 after I think we'll see Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, Dekeyser, and Jarnkrok all playing fairly major roles on the team with Datsyuk and Z still around to help them

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 01:27 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

I dont see Edler being on the Wings. Gonna be more of the same.

WingedWheel1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 02:40 PM
BeersHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z40 View Post
You think Andersson can score 14 goals in a single season? Especially when he doesn't make it past the fourth line, if he's lucky. For cheaper? Andersson is already making $37,500 per year MORE than Miller. Not to mention, he is eligible for $237,500 in bonuses, according to CapGeek. Miller is not. You might want to revise your statement.

I'll never understand why Drew Miller gets ragged on so much around here. He's probably the best "bang-for-your-buck" player we have. He always plays hard every shift.
I will second this. Miller is a hard worker who is noticeable every game he is in the lineup. I have no idea why he is not in the lineup every night.

BeersHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 03:03 PM
jroc86

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
I think the wings are at a point where they will be making space for young guys to prepare for the losses of Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Between this upcoming season and the 2 after I think we'll see Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, Dekeyser, and Jarnkrok all playing fairly major roles on the team with Datsyuk and Z still around to help them
Totally agree - this is what I'm really hoping for. Going forward in the next 4-5 years Dats, Z, Filp, Kronner, Ericsson, Jimmy as the core of still effective mentoring veterans in place with the next generation of young talent of (12/13) Smith, Brunner, Nyquist, (13/14) Tatar, Dekeyser, Sheahan, Jarknok (14/15) Ouelllet, Mrazek, Sproul, Jurco, Pukkinen etc etc.

If our core stays fairly healthy, half these kids become roster players, and a few good FA acquisitions happen the fairly immediate future should be looking pretty sharp.

Cant stress enough how much I want to ensure that KH locks Pavel up for another 2-3 years once his current deal is up. Practicing/playing/travelling/learning from a guy like that is huge for the development of allot of our young euros who probably looked up to him bigtime as they grew up.

jroc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 05:58 PM
Fine young man
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 1268
There's so many variables in play to make a good prediction... How will Nyquist, Tatar, Brunner do, are Jurco, Sheahan or Jarnkrok ready fot he NHL, will Bertuzzi and Samuelsson still be productive, can Cleary regain his health, will there be any trades, and then what about defense and free agents??

But still, I like the lineups here, they're decent, depending on how the young guys can perform.

Fine young man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 06:32 PM
crashman

vCash: 1376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fine young man View Post
There's so many variables in play to make a good prediction... How will Nyquist, Tatar, Brunner do, are Jurco, Sheahan or Jarnkrok ready fot he NHL, will Bertuzzi and Samuelsson still be productive, can Cleary regain his health, will there be any trades, and then what about defense and free agents??
I agree, this thread involves more fantasy and guess-work than our pre-free-agency threads. I can't even begin to think this far ahead about the team.

Nice name by the way, it made me laugh.

crashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 08:58 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeersHockey View Post
I will second this. Miller is a hard worker who is noticeable every game he is in the lineup. I have no idea why he is not in the lineup every night.
Because at the end of the day, He's a rather ordinary player who doesn't do any single thing so well that he'll force a coach to keep him in the lineup...

So when you introduce a youngster, who are you going to sit? Realistically, on Detroit, it's Miller.

Old
09-04-2012, 09:02 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Because at the end of the day, He's a rather ordinary player who doesn't do any single thing so well that he'll force a coach to keep him in the lineup...

So when you introduce a youngster, who are you going to sit? Realistically, on Detroit, it's Miller.
Wings have a ton of those types of players in the system. Wings drafting has been pretty poor as of late. Just dime a dozen small/softish players that you could acquire via FA.

WingedWheel1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 11:18 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
Wings have a ton of those types of players in the system. Wings drafting has been pretty poor as of late. Just dime a dozen small/softish players that you could acquire via FA.
He's worth keeping if he plays cheap and can accept a role on the bench at times.

Old
09-05-2012, 12:24 AM
Melbourne Ice
Happy Happy Happy!

Send a message via Yahoo to Melbourne Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
We could waive Bertuzzi to make room (dare to dream )

Melbourne Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 01:50 AM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbourne Ice View Post
We could waive Bertuzzi to make room (dare to dream )
Yea right, Todd Bertuzzi who got 38 points last year, 6th on the team overall.

Just to remind his ctitics Bert makes only 2 mil a year and is our oldest, most experienced vet. Give him and me a break. He didn't ask to be on the 1st line last year. He started on the 3rd and when Cleary and Hudler looked so pathetic with Pavel he stepped up and was on fire by mid- November. So be it.

Mikael Samuelsson had 50 pts in both '10 and '11, was on pace to have more last season with the Panthers. He's improved since leaving the Wings and could be a solid role player for years to come.

They and Miller will keep their jobs until someone can take it away, which is how it should be. It may never be Tatar and Mursak. I definately don't see it with Mursak. Watch from a distance he skates exactly like Holmstrom but without the hands or smarts of Homer.

hockeyisforeveryone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 02:11 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyisforeveryone View Post
They and Miller will keep their jobs until someone can take it away, which is how it should be. It may never be Tatar and Mursak. I definately don't see it with Mursak. Watch from a distance he skates exactly like Holmstrom but without the hands or smarts of Homer.
I thought Mursak was a step or two slower coming back from the ankle injury and I am curious to see him this year. Even then I would never say his skating was bad last year. When healthy like he was in the pre-season he was the second fastest skater on the team. Have no idea where you get that from, it is just false.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 03:35 AM
irishock
In the sunset

vCash: 50
Bert had great chem with Datsyuk last season and pretty much netted us an extra 5 points in the shootout.

irishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 07:47 AM
jroc86

Quote:

Just to remind his ctitics Bert makes only 2 mil a year and is our oldest, most experienced vet. Give him and me a break. He didn't ask to be on the 1st line last year. He started on the 3rd and when Cleary and Hudler looked so pathetic with Pavel he stepped up and was on fire by mid- November. So be it.

Mikael Samuelsson had 50 pts in both '10 and '11, was on pace to have more last season with the Panthers. He's improved since leaving the Wings and could be a solid role player for years to come.

Im not a big Mursak fan but dont confuse his skating ability for Homers. Mursak bends over and has a bit of a sloppy heel kick on his return but he is one of our fastest guys behind Helm - ugly stride or not.

jroc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 08:09 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Sadly me neither.

First, I think he's re-signed by Canucks.

If they somehow can't because of not having enough cap space and can't solve it out, I don't think we could either. So many other teams would be on a bidding war for him.

And IF he doesn't want to re-sign with the Canucks it might be because of money and I doubt we would offer much more and/or he doesn't see that Canucks have a bright future ahead of them (I think their cup window is open for 3 years or so). Though I'm pretty confident on our prospect pool and kids there are many teams that have brighter future than us, on paper.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 11:22 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
About Brunner...

Apparently he's going to play in GR if there is a lockout. I know it's been questioned what he'll do if he didn't make the team and whether we should write him into next year's lineup. I have to view this as a positive. Being willing to commit to coming over and getting used to the NA game regardless of whether or not it's in Detroit or in GR is a big deal.

09-05-2012, 12:29 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
Apparently he's going to play in GR if there is a lockout. I know it's been questioned what he'll do if he didn't make the team and whether we should write him into next year's lineup. I have to view this as a positive. Being willing to commit to coming over and getting used to the NA game regardless of whether or not it's in Detroit or in GR is a big deal.
That's new, because Ansar was saying earlier that Brunner was Zug bound if there was a lockout and would return to the Wings when the lockout subsided.

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 12:30 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
That's good news.

One poster here, who has followed a LOT of Brunner over the past few years, told that he has good work ethic and this supports it. He would get more money in Switzerland, less travelling and stuff and be more of a 'star'. Indicates he's a team player, who doesn't only think of himself can't gave too many of those.

Or maybe I'm just overreacting to this.

Funny how I just read on Mlive that Brunner would go back to Switzerland and would be UFA after this season in a case of lockout (assuming no -CBA changes in that regard).

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 01:11 PM
Hckytwn
FIRE HOLLAND NOW

Quote:
Agreed. These posts are always entertaining, but dreaming about landing some big FA names is nonsensical at this point considering even players like Colaiacovo aren't willing to sign for anything Holland considers reasonable. Some one like Edler will want far more than he'll be willing to give him.

Hckytwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 01:50 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
That's new, because Ansar was saying earlier that Brunner was Zug bound if there was a lockout and would return to the Wings when the lockout subsided.
I remember that report, too, and Brunner getting some (deserved, imo) flak for it. I think it was just a misunderstanding, though, since he's going back to Zug for three weeks to train before heading back over here for GR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
That's good news.

One poster here, who has followed a LOT of Brunner over the past few years, told that he has good work ethic and this supports it. He would get more money in Switzerland, less travelling and stuff and be more of a 'star'. Indicates he's a team player, who doesn't only think of himself can't gave too many of those.

Or maybe I'm just overreacting to this.

Funny how I just read on Mlive that Brunner would go back to Switzerland and would be UFA after this season in a case of lockout (assuming no -CBA changes in that regard).
I don't think you're overreacting. Such a commitment to making the NHL is big. We've seen other prospects flame out after refusing to make a similar commitment, we've been down that road before. This is a good sign. Even if the guy doesn't ultimately work out, this has to give him the best shot at making it happen.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 02:47 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:

No, that's not how it should be.
If you want to develop your team, you have to make room.
It's also stupid to bottleneck your prospect depth so that you can sign middle-of-the road UFAs.
Rookies sitting in the press box and getting 4 minutes a night are never going to unseat second and third liners unless the team makes the conscious decision to give them opportunity