HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

Overall quality of KHL,will it improve?

Old
08-31-2012, 11:19 AM
Vicente

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ult View Post
As for tv equipment go check http://panoramahd.ru/en. They've spent $250 millions for 12 ob vans that will be located all across Russia.
That's pretty cool !

Some impressions of Servus TV cable guys haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO-wCq3jJSU

Vicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 11:29 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

- khl tv searched english speaking commentators based in Canada/US this summer.
- khl will try to expand to Asia tv market next year (or later, depends on analysis)
- tv broadcasters can broadcast LIVE games via internet since new season, not only in TV (khl sold rights to internet broadcasting to tv broadcasters as well)
- khl games will start by highlights to warm-up, locker room this season. They started it in Junior Club World Cup watch

I think it would not be clever to have european version of KHL TV. Even with german commentators in germany etc, because not so many guys would be interesting. Costs > revenues. It is more clever to invest in Russia NOW. European tv broadcasters (like Viasat, Sport, NovaSport etc) can make own tv shows about KHL or broadcast shows of KHL TV. Like UEFA Champions League does with its magazine. I remember my local tv broadcasted NHL power-week(??) in past.

vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 11:35 AM
Vicente

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
I think it would not be clever to have european version of KHL TV. Even with german commentators in germany etc, because not so many guys would be interesting. Costs > revenues. It is more clever to invest in Russia NOW. European tv broadcasters (like Viasat, Sport, NovaSport etc) can make own tv shows about KHL or broadcast shows of KHL TV. Like UEFA Champions League does with its magazine. I remember my local tv broadcasted NHL power-week(??) in past.
Hm. You might be right. If Berlin would join KHL they could broadcast their own home games and show them on Eurosport in Germany or laola1.tv/Servus TV and have German commentators for the games in Russia.

PS: Laola shows 6 KHL games in the first week of the season. Thats pretty good as neither Austria nor Germany have a KHL team.

Old
08-31-2012, 06:13 PM
Fulcrum

I think people are forgetting where KHL is coming from. If you know the history somewhat well, you will understand that the task of improving the league is absolutely enormous. Mainly because you have to change the way people think- and that is that hardest thing.

It is substantially more than can be done right away or even soon, therefore the league has to prioritize on what is more important.

A lot of people underestimate KHL's progress, but if anything the league has done up to this point is surprise people. I mean it's easy to forget- but aside from the main league look what they've done:

-Created MHL - Huge Huge project and its doing Great!
-Created VHL - Created a vertical advancement for players, and a true farm league
-They caught up by 15 + YEARS! in mass-media (websites, TV, social media, brand recognition and so on) RSL had NONE of that, while NHL had it for 15+ years!
-Refereeing, medical staff, regulations - again Huge steps ahead

All of that in less than 5 years!

Don't be quick to forget just how much money and work has already gone into this league to bring from rubles of being stuck in the 80's.

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 09:58 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

I remember, a while back, that there was a thread about KHL-TV hiring English-language commentators. Did they finalize the process or not?

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 05:29 AM
Acallabeth
Play fair, post fair

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
KHL has made a great progress over its 4 years, but was Helo expecting it to leave NHL far behind? Like Barys arena to be built in a week or what? Or Novokuznetsk building a 20k seat arena?
I saw that TraktorBang video referred to, but what he said was only his personal opinion. He doesn't like black crowds - and I do, he wants the commentator to scream like an idiot or Tcherdantsev - and I don't etc.

Obviously some points are true, but there's another side to every one of them.

KHL needs bigger arenas? It would be cool, but I'd like to see those 5-8k arenas being sold out regularly first. And a lot of arenas are quite good.
KHL has bad broadcasts? Sure, overall, but broadcasts from SKA, Dynamos, Atlant, home games are pleasure to watch, Omsk and SYU are working on HD. Growing process.
KHL-TV has bad commentators - I tend to agree, but, again, it's a growing process. And I like the VGTRK brigade, especially since they got rid of Tvaltvadze.
KHL has terrible marketing - the most unarguable and obvious flaw with little changes, but hopefully it's an experience matter.

What makes the KHL less attractive, and does that job better than any old arena, is the imparity and wallet battle. When one player's salary dwarves one team's combined salaries and doesn't count against the cap, when a conference doesn't have 5 competitive teams, when a team's top scorer writes an open letter against his team's manager, well, this works against reputation. This is embarassing and pathetic

And before trying to promote itself to Italy and Mongolia, I would expect the KHL to work a bit on becoming popular in Russia. Or there will be a neverending circle.

There's a season in 5 hours, and this subforum doesn't have a thread?)

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 06:19 AM
ult

Yay.
http://tv.khl.ru/news/15717/

ult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 11:33 AM
ult

You can buy monthly access to the live streams on khl website now. As well as highlights, interviews, and other stuff.
http://webcaster.pro/khl or http://www.khl.ru/video/live.php
49 rub - for 1 game.
79 rub - 1 day full access to all live streams of the day.
295 rub - to watch recordings of games for 1 month.
995 rub - full access to everything for 1 month.

32 rub = $1

They do accept visas. Maybe they'll make an eng version.

Old
09-04-2012, 01:38 PM
ult

And here is another improvement for you. I think www.khl.ru website did a step in the right direction. New design looks better.

Old
09-05-2012, 08:27 AM
Helpoing
21st c schizoid man

One of the biggest problems of KHL can be very obvious if you look at Donbass. And what I mean, the Ukranian club doesn't have a big arena, but throughout the last 2 years they completed 2 reconstructions and now the interior of that building from the 70ies looks neat and comfy. Why can't CSKA do the exact same thing, instead of trying to sign Semin for 10 mln. per year? It also applies to Magnitka.

But overall, KHL of 2012/13 is miles ahead of RSL of 2006/07.

On KHL-TV HD: it's great that they launched the project, but afaik only Kontinet-TV has the new channel included in one of its packs. No news from NTV+ or Tricolor.

Helpoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 08:37 AM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helpoing View Post
But overall, KHL of 2012/13 is miles ahead of RSL of 2006/07.
But the most people probably doesn't realize how pathetic the RSL really was. So the current state of the KHL it's not that impressive as people here tend to think.

ozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 08:42 AM
Vicente

You guys have to stop comparing KHL and RSL. The KHL was only founded because RSL was a bitter joke and all Russian talent wanted to play abroad, fans didn't really care, there was only few money involved because of lack of interest, NHL or other leagues never really respected RSL.

Now KHL is like another world of hockey.

Old
09-05-2012, 09:01 AM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
But the most people probably doesn't realize how pathetic the RSL really was. So the current state of the KHL it's not that impressive as people here tend to think.
You're not impressed with some good hockey and a quality job by the league? well, no one cares

I and many many others who attend and watch games find it impressive that Russia and other countries are a solid 2nd best in the world and improving. I don't see that ending or stopping any time soon.

Btw, those insulting RSL as a bitter joke - it was still very good quality of hockey. Organization was crap, I agree.

Old
09-05-2012, 10:10 AM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
You're not impressed with some good hockey and a quality job by the league? well, no one cares
Yep, because clearly that's what I wrote... Oh, wait!

Just saying KHL needs to do a lot more to even consider the league being a one step away from NHL. It's not like full HD translation for every game would do the trick like some here likes to think.

ozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 11:58 AM
Vicente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post

I and many many others who attend and watch games find it impressive that Russia and other countries are a solid 2nd best in the world and improving. I don't see that ending or stopping any time soon.

Btw, those insulting RSL as a bitter joke - it was still very good quality of hockey. Organization was crap, I agree.
I also think RSL was a league of good hockey level but compared to what Russian hockey could be (2nd best in the world, if not best, just look at how KHL is improving) they didn't really use a lot of their chances with marketing and money etc. ! It was just another league like DEL, NLA or Elitserien while now KHL is clearly superior to these other European leagues.

With KHL, VHL and MHL the Russians have really changed the hockey level in Europe and given fans and players a great alternative to North American hockey.

Old
09-05-2012, 12:39 PM
Zine

Quote:
I'd say many people do realize it.
A lot of non-russians still equate the KHL to the horror stories from 1990s Russia and/or the old RSL.
Considering what people expect, I think most would be pleasantly surprised with the KHL.
Obviously the KHL is still miles from the NHL; but its also miles from the RSL.

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 02:11 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
I'd say many people do realize it.
A lot of non-russians still equate the KHL to the horror stories from 1990s Russia and/or the old RSL.
Considering what people expect, I think most would be pleasantly surprised with the KHL.
Obviously the KHL is still miles from the NHL; but its also miles from the RSL.
This, couldn't agree more.

I think if anything, the size of the challenges that KHL faced and still facing are very underrated.

Old
09-05-2012, 04:04 PM
Zine

Don't also forget the KHL is constantly under PR attack from the NHL. It seems as if every KHL 'mistake' is pounced upon by the media and blogging echo chambers.

Not that the KHL helps itself sometimes (lol), but no other league has ever had to face such a public relations onslaught.....certainly not the SEL, SM Liiga, etc.
It's a big factor when attempting to prove oneself as a legitimate league outside of one's regular demographic.

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 05:49 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Yep, because clearly that's what I wrote... Oh, wait!

Just saying KHL needs to do a lot more to even consider the league being a one step away from NHL. It's not like full HD translation for every game would do the trick like some here likes to think.
It wouldn't do the trick but it would certainly help going in the right direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
Don't also forget the KHL is constantly under PR attack from the NHL. It seems as if every KHL 'mistake' is pounced upon by the media and blogging echo chambers.

Not that the KHL helps itself sometimes (lol), but no other league has ever had to face such a public relations onslaught.....certainly not the SEL, SM Liiga, etc.
It's a big factor when attempting to prove oneself as a legitimate league outside of one's regular demographic.
I wonder if the NHL's survival depends on agressive PR...

Old
09-05-2012, 06:11 PM
khlman
Pudgy Faced Killer

The KHL is already the more appealing hockey.

So once the KHL catches up on the things mentioned its no contest. The only reason to watch NHL is for Ovechkin, Malkin, Datsyuk, Kovalchuk...so if they quit going then there is no reason to watch the lame NHL.

khlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 06:21 PM
zorz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ult View Post
And here is another improvement for you. I think www.khl.ru website did a step in the right direction. New design looks better.
not enough. why don't they create similar stats system to the NHL site? It's a pleasure to browse NHL stats. With KHL's it's a pain.

zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 12:45 PM
Latgale_fan

Well, if you have KHL TV and watch the games they broadcast there, you can really feel those changes there... There's a good picture and good announcers.

Then if you're a Latvian and have possibility to see every Dinamo Riga away game, you see a few very good broadcasts like from St. Petersburg, Atlant or Minsk etc. and a lot of those left are either mediocre or really crap.

If you just watch highlights on youtube and compare Dynamo Moscow- Avangard, Slovan- Donbass quality with Amur- Atlant or what else that's there already, you can see the difference... KHL now has great equipment and can use it to show games broadcasted on KHL TV but that doesn't solve the problem that as soon as you're not watching KHL TV produced broadcast, there are few clubs in the league that make good TV product...

VIASAT promised that they will increase quality of Dinamo Riga home games, so there's the hope it will even be better. I guess other clubs do the same but it will be a slow process.

If you watched Dynamo Moscow - Avangard (and these two are good teams but not really THE TOP as concerns money) from Megasport in the great quality, I think you can agree it was TOP HOCKEY and easily comparable to NHL standard. I enjoyed the broadcast immensely and I really do like screaming commentators cause it felt like the guy was in love with Ramo, Anisin and other stars... I mean I like Ramo but if we had a typical Baltvadze commentating the game, he'd be just a ''good goalie'', ''good save''... the screaming commentator made every save by RAMOOOOO feel like he's the next Hasek (and he's really top class goalie) and I could see how NHL stars are made in many cases... Passion + PR = SUPERSTAR

Sure there will be boring games but if such a quality and such an arena is in every KHL city, the product becomes a few times more attractive. Cause when after watching the Lokomotiv Cup thriller I was looking forward to day 2 in the league and switched on TV next day... the bright colours and crystal clear picture and great commentator duo was gone... So was it only for the opening game?? And will re-appear in the conference finals only, as last season???

Last edited by Latgale_fan: 09-07-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Latgale_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 01:03 PM
khlman
Pudgy Faced Killer

I agree about broadcasts but I also remember watching Atlanta Thrashers games and the quality was well below say a New York Rangers game both visually and commentary. So it's not like the NHL is perfectly standardized across all teams either even with their advantages.

khlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 02:41 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khlman View Post
The KHL is already the more appealing hockey.

So once the KHL catches up on the things mentioned its no contest. The only reason to watch NHL is for Ovechkin, Malkin, Datsyuk, Kovalchuk...so if they quit going then there is no reason to watch the lame NHL.
KHL is more watchable but with less parity.

Old
09-07-2012, 04:01 PM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
KHL is more watchable but with less parity.
I agree, imo more interesting to watch with the exception of maybe the playoffs or original 6 matchup in the NHL. NHL players are too big and fast so thy cover the small ice quickly so there doesn't seem to be much room. Would the best site to watch KHL games in quality be KHL.com?

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote