HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Offseason Thread Part IX: WTF is Pitkanen worth anyway? Not $4.5 million apparently ‎

Old
09-05-2012, 11:41 AM
Gr8Dan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
I can't believe Welsh had a $12 million cap hit last season, played one game in which he didn't score, and now has the audacity to hold out on us. What does he want? $24 million to play no games? Does he think he's Joni Pitkanen?
Actually cap hit of near $18 million

Gr8Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 11:41 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 1832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
I can't believe Welsh had a $12 million cap hit last season, played one game in which he didn't score, and now has the audacity to hold out on us. What does he want? $24 million to play no games? Does he think he's Joni Pitkanen?
wait... what's all this now?

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 11:44 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
wait... what's all this now?
False outrage about the fact that Welsh hasn't signed yet and we're a month away from anything meaningful happening. I demand answers.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 11:52 AM
Gr8Dan

Dwyer extended 2 years
http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news....id=DL|CAR|home

Gr8Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 11:54 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

Meh.

09-05-2012, 11:57 AM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Odd. Just like every time LaRose/Dwyer signs/extends, I would have thought the previous signing/extension of LaRose/Dwyer meant we're moving on from the other player.

...If that makes any sense.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 12:10 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
Odd. Just like every time LaRose/Dwyer signs/extends, I would have thought the previous signing/extension of LaRose/Dwyer meant we're moving on from the other player.

...If that makes any sense.
It does kind of make sense. But that's because we are all assuming they are the same sort of player. LaRose hasn't been used in a remotely similar manner to Dwyer that last couple of years and Dwyer has really only proven he's capable of full time NHL duty in the last 2 years.

Barring injury, I think this season LaRose and Dwyer would almost have to play similar roles though...no?

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 12:18 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Yeah, it wasn't so bad to have both of them on the team when LaRose was getting more Top 6 time than he will this year (hopefully), but now that they're both almost assuredly getting bottom 6 time, we really should just have one or the other.

But who knows, maybe Muller will set it up so one plays on the 3rd and the other on the 4th.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 12:26 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
Yeah, it wasn't so bad to have both of them on the team when LaRose was getting more Top 6 time than he will this year (hopefully), but now that they're both almost assuredly getting bottom 6 time, we really should just have one or the other.
Well, we were going to have both of them this season regardless of this contract. And maybe they do part ways (unlikely) with LaRose after this season?

Quote:
But who knows, maybe Muller will set it up so one plays on the 3rd and the other on the 4th.
I could see that.

A third line of Tlusty - 3C - LaRose.....or Bowman-Jokinen-LaRose if the team can't come up with a viable 3C and then a 4th line of Dwyer-Brent-Nodl.

Old
09-05-2012, 12:46 PM
caniac247

Regarding Boychuk:

You publically come out and say that "guys won't be coming early due to the uncertainity of the CBA". Ok fine, whatever. Then your 2 competitors, Dalpe and Bowman, show up early, the first week of informal practices.

Sorry, but that just makes you look like you don't give a ****. Then again, I've always thought the dude was lazy and didn't care. So I guess his actions these last 2 years are proving my point to me.

Whether or not you believe he should be there or not, the point is that the guys he's fighting for a roster spot with (Stewart, Nodl, Bowman and Dalpe) are ALL here and you are out hanging with friends/going to concerts, etc. Just doesn't look too good to the bosses, IMO.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 12:58 PM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac247 View Post
Regarding Boychuk:

You publically come out and say that "guys won't be coming early due to the uncertainity of the CBA". Ok fine, whatever. Then your 2 competitors, Dalpe and Bowman, show up early, the first week of informal practices.

Sorry, but that just makes you look like you don't give a ****. Then again, I've always thought the dude was lazy and didn't care. So I guess his actions these last 2 years are proving my point to me.

Whether or not you believe he should be there or not, the point is that the guys he's fighting for a roster spot with (Stewart, Nodl, Bowman and Dalpe) are ALL here and you are out hanging with friends/going to concerts, etc. Just doesn't look too good to the bosses, IMO.
And how, exactly, do you know what Zach Boychuk is doing currently?

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 01:00 PM
TheBigKahuna

^ He tweets about being at baseball games with his buddies, etc. He tells a reporter that players won't be going to the team towns because of the CBA negotiations...and yet many of his teammates, and the guys he SHOULD be competing with, are here skating! He should be in Raleigh. But yet again, he's being a lazy assed kid with a severe lack of dedication. Complete bust!

TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 01:03 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahuna View Post
^ He tweets about being at baseball games with his buddies, etc.
From what I can see, Boychuk has 4 whole tweets since July 24th. You are using that to know what he's doing?

Old
09-05-2012, 01:03 PM
bleedgreen

Isn't he working out with eberle an other nhl'ers closer to home?

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 01:04 PM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

Quote:
^ He tweets about being at baseball games with his buddies, etc.
Etc, really? He has one tweet in the past month (about a football game).

What do you think the players who are in Raleigh are doing after practices? Oh, I'm sure they are doing nothing but grueling workouts for their entire waking hours. Surely, none of them have anything recreational planned.

Old
09-05-2012, 01:05 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
Yes, from what I've been able to determine, at Crash Conditioning with Eberle, Duncan Keith, and a number of others.

Old
09-05-2012, 01:08 PM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

Riley Nash tweeted recently about his fantasy football draft. He's worse than Boychuk. At least Boychuk leaves the house to get drunk, go to concerts, sell drugs and have wild orgies ....Nash just sits around playing fantasy football. I know that this is all Nash has done because it's only tweet in the past few weeks.

Old
09-05-2012, 01:08 PM
bleedgreen

They generally screw around at those practices, especially at this point. Maybe a half step above pre game warm
Ups. Wasn't the first one like 45 minutes? Break out the ice packs.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 01:15 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Caniac247. Where did you read/hear that quote from Boychuk (about coming in later due to the CBA). Not doubting it, but was wondering where.

Old
09-05-2012, 01:25 PM
TheBigKahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
Yes, the same thing he's done the last 3 summers...and that has worked wonders for his game!

If I was failing to make the team fall after fall, I'd try something different, maybe take the GMs advise to heart....or train with some successful teammates. What he's doing isn't getting it done. I think he really likes the AHL to be honest!

The guy is a 1st round bust. Period.

Old
09-05-2012, 01:27 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by We Like Our Group View Post
Riley Nash tweeted recently about his fantasy football draft. He's worse than Boychuk. At least Boychuk leaves the house to get drunk, go to concerts, sell drugs and have wild orgies ....Nash just sits around playing fantasy football. I know that this is all Nash has done because it's only tweet in the past few weeks.
Riley Nash sucks...

But seriously, Riley Nash, darkhorse for 3C? His defensive game's there...

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 01:29 PM
TheBigKahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
Caniac247. Where did you read/hear that quote from Boychuk (about coming in later due to the CBA). Not doubting it, but was wondering where.
Paul Branecky posted this:

Talked w/ Boychuk this a.m. for upcoming story. Said that w/ labor uncertainty, many aren't planning to head to NHL cities as early as usual

In past years, this is usually around the time younger guys on the cusp would do that. Inside track working out with vets ahead of camp

To clarify, it's not as if these guys aren't working out. Boychuk is with a group that includes Jordan Eberle, Mike Green and Duncan Keith

Old
09-05-2012, 01:33 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 807
Quote:

Talked w/ Boychuk this a.m. for upcoming story. Said that w/ labor uncertainty, many are planning to head to NHL cities as early as usual, but that'd get in the way of golf.

In past years, this is usually around the time younger guys on the cusp would do that. But Boychuk has no NHL aspirations and/or work ethic, so he just lazed around with Staal during the bag skate.

To clarify, these guys aren't working out. Boychuk is with a group that includes Derek Zoolander, Verne Troyer, and Miley Cyrus.
Fixed.

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 01:35 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Thanks

Old
09-05-2012, 01:37 PM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

And how was Boychuk wrong? The vast majority of the players who aren't established NHLers are not in Raleigh.

But I'm not holding my breath to hear people slam Murphy, Terry, Samson, Sanguinetti, Nash, etc as "lazy" for not showing up.