HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

OT Thread Part III: Back to School Edition

Closed Thread

Old
09-05-2012, 12:45 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
I have a phone interview with a law firm later this afternoon. Phone interviews can be awkward.

Old
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
The check cashing place near me gets robbed probably once or twice a month
so apply there if you love adventure?

Old
Krishna

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post
Seems so cheery yet so down. Ill be Visiting soon! Have a cup of tea until then bob
I told him in another thread that I saw sending him tea and he refused

Old
09-05-2012, 12:46 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I have a phone interview with a law firm later this afternoon. Phone interviews can be awkward.
Good luck!

Old
09-05-2012, 12:49 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Quote:
Ive had three phone interviews. Two went great, one I was bsing so much they probably caught on. I used to work with SEO, but I couldnt remember a lot. I remember saying in the interview that : "I love SEO stuff" and the lady asked me what kinds of "SEO stuff" did I like. Then I pretty much deferred the question. Never heard back from that place
But the other two were far from awkward. I tend to make the other interviewer laugh a lot and both times got a second interview. (and then denied one job and the other wasnt really a fit for both parties)

Old
09-05-2012, 12:49 PM
Block More Shots

Quote:
Good luck dude. You got this.

Old
09-05-2012, 12:55 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
So the students on here should look for you when thinking about getting loans hey?

Absolutely.....not

I am still paying off my own student loans but going to a state school as opposed to a private has turned out to be one of the best decisions I have ever made.

Old
09-05-2012, 01:00 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin Steve View Post
Ive had three phone interviews. Two went great, one I was bsing so much they probably caught on. I used to work with SEO, but I couldnt remember a lot. I remember saying in the interview that : "I love SEO stuff" and the lady asked me what kinds of "SEO stuff" did I like. Then I pretty much deferred the question. Never heard back from that place
But the other two were far from awkward. I tend to make the other interviewer laugh a lot and both times got a second interview. (and then denied one job and the other wasnt really a fit for both parties)
I hear you. OCI is crushing people this year (15 interviews on my end and no callbacks yet, though only three rejections). So these mass mail phone interviews are the best I've had so far since it clearly means they are interested in me.

I had one before and it went well. I just hate not being able to see the face of the other person. I'd prefer a Skype interview, to be honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Block More Shots View Post
Good luck dude. You got this.
I hope so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Good luck!
Thanks man. As I said, hit me up any time.

Old
09-05-2012, 01:01 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Appreciated. Make sure you're off the phone and done with all your work by 8:30 tonight!

Go G-men.

Old
09-05-2012, 01:02 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
It needs a sad face since Bob has been a downer the last few days
Bob needs to chat more to cheer up.

NYR Viper

Quote:
Boyler: the escape makes the most logistical sense even though I'm not a ford person. The escape has been improving every year and it's one that they've reinvented continuously. It's gotten to be quite the all arounder.
That was my feeling as well. The Prius is for her as well. To put things in perspective I am driving a 2002 Honda Accord now. Not buying something immediately but just in case something happens I want to know which direction I need to go in.

Has anyone else had any good experiences with a new car?

Old
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Quote:
I hear you. OCI is crushing people this year (15 interviews on my end and no callbacks yet, though only three rejections). So these mass mail phone interviews are the best I've had so far since it clearly means they are interested in me.

I had one before and it went well. I just hate not being able to see the face of the other person. I'd prefer a Skype interview, to be honest.

I hope so!

thats an interesting thought, do companies actually do that?

Old
09-05-2012, 01:06 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Everyone should chat more
Quote:
Yes, a few lounge posters have recently had Skype interviews

Old
09-05-2012, 01:14 PM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

vCash: 1081
Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
Quote:
No, that I knew. What I meant to have said was more like; will the games I normally download (amazon free app of the day) be available. Things like uniwar, golf frontier, words with friends, etc.
Being that the W8P platform is new, it's not likely that you'll see everything you're used to downloading on an iOS or Android-based phone. I am confident that they will roll out one-by-one, but at the launch of the Lumia - which is presumably somewhere during the holiday season this year, it's not confirmed which of those apps will be ported/developed for W8P.

Old
09-05-2012, 01:16 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Hope OCI went well.

My friends who are still in law school just finished, and a few have offers already. Situation doesn't seem too bleak for them.

RANGERS =
Old
09-05-2012, 01:17 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I agree on the G37x obviously.

My gf likes the Rogue, but when I sat in the Escape I was impressed. It is rated VERY well EVERY year as well. I am not going to get a Fiesta or something like that but from everything I have read the Escape is tops in its class (which includes the Rav4, CR-V, Rogue, etc.).

I really like the new Altima, probably stick with the 4-cylinder as it gets 38 mpg highway even though I want the 6.

Probably looking at this as my future winter car. Still have my eyes on a 370z in the near future.

The Legacy was fairly impressive actually with the AWD and 31mpg highway.
The '13 escape with the 2.0L Ecoboost is really nice. The thing was nimble, had a solid torque curve with minimal turbo lag (though the top-end was a little light) and the cabin was really nicely equipped.

Old
09-05-2012, 01:18 PM
Cresto
Much Disappoint

Quote:
I had one for an promotion to supervisor back when I was working at a flooring place that paid good + commish.

Straight up this is literally how it starts

Interviewer: "How is it going today?"
Me: "Yes"

I managed to get the promotion anyway

Old
09-05-2012, 01:19 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
I had one for an promotion to supervisor back when I was working at a flooring place that paid good + commish.

Straight up this is literally how it starts

Interviewer: "How is it going today?"
Me: "Yes"

I managed to get the promotion anyway
Could have been worse:

Old
09-05-2012, 01:30 PM
Cresto
Much Disappoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Could have been worse:

If I had more time, I would honestly consider getting a job interview for fun and just be an idiot. Either do it like stepbrothers or pull a major Dwight Schrute on them.

"What is the bear safety protocol and how many safety traffic cones does your company have on reserve?"

Old
09-05-2012, 01:42 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Yep. Particularly for screeners. Makes more sense to do a Skype interview than a phone interview, IMHO.

Old
09-05-2012, 01:56 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
The '13 escape with the 2.0L Ecoboost is really nice. The thing was nimble, had a solid torque curve with minimal turbo lag (though the top-end was a little light) and the cabin was really nicely equipped.
Ah, someone who has driven one! Do you own one?

I was very impressed with the interior and the MyTouch (even though I have read bad reviews). It would be for my gf who I want to get into an AWD vehicle and she wants a crossover. I was impressed honestly even though I expected not to be.

Old
09-05-2012, 02:24 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Ah, someone who has driven one! Do you own one?

I was very impressed with the interior and the MyTouch (even though I have read bad reviews). It would be for my gf who I want to get into an AWD vehicle and she wants a crossover. I was impressed honestly even though I expected not to be.
I don't own one, but I've test driven one and work with someone who just purchased one who can't stop raving about it. He just took it to Lancaster (from Pittsburgh) and said it was great driving through the mountains on the Turnpike and was still quick and fun on the flat. Said he made it there and about halfway back before he put more gas in it.

I drive an '06 4Runner, which I love dearly but isn't a great commuter vehicle in terms of gas-mileage. Considering a trade-in, but haven't found an SUV or crossover that I really liked that wasn't awful on gas, or ridiculously out of my price-range. I went in to look at the Edge, but the V6 isn't much of a bump in mileage on what I have, and the 2.0L feels sluggish in a car of that size. However, I think it's the same engine that is in the Escape, and it's fantastic in that car.

The interior was the biggest surprise for me. It feels sporty and "tight" but not cramped. Finishes are higher end, or at least appear to be, and there are plenty of bells and whistles. I can't imagine a reason your girlfriend wouldn't dig it.

Old
09-05-2012, 02:44 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

So, I had my phone interview. Got an instant callback, which I did not expect. This firm sounds amazing and I am very, very excited about this.

Old
09-05-2012, 02:58 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Definitely should even if I don't say much.

Quote:
It needs a sad face since Bob has been a downer the last few days
Definitely have. Just got back from my first and only class today. My teacher was awesome. Makes me feel much better.

09-05-2012, 03:20 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I don't own one, but I've test driven one and work with someone who just purchased one who can't stop raving about it. He just took it to Lancaster (from Pittsburgh) and said it was great driving through the mountains on the Turnpike and was still quick and fun on the flat. Said he made it there and about halfway back before he put more gas in it.

I drive an '06 4Runner, which I love dearly but isn't a great commuter vehicle in terms of gas-mileage. Considering a trade-in, but haven't found an SUV or crossover that I really liked that wasn't awful on gas, or ridiculously out of my price-range. I went in to look at the Edge, but the V6 isn't much of a bump in mileage on what I have, and the 2.0L feels sluggish in a car of that size. However, I think it's the same engine that is in the Escape, and it's fantastic in that car.

The interior was the biggest surprise for me. It feels sporty and "tight" but not cramped. Finishes are higher end, or at least appear to be, and there are plenty of bells and whistles. I can't imagine a reason your girlfriend wouldn't dig it.
That is pretty much everything I have read in a nutshell. It was the main reason I actually forced her to go look at it as we both hated the look of the old model.

I was very impressed with the Ford. Does your friend have AWD or FWD? I was going to force her to go AWD but I am not sure it is necessary considering we live near Harrisburg and we don't get too much snow (although when we go home to Albany there is a more of it). The FWD gets over 30 mpg.

Closed Thread