HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason Thread Part IX: WTF is Pitkanen worth anyway? Not $4.5 million apparently ‎

Old
09-05-2012, 01:53 PM
TheBigKahuna

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by We Like Our Group View Post
And how was Boychuk wrong? The vast majority of the players who aren't established NHLers are not in Raleigh.

But I'm not holding my breath to hear people slam Murphy, Terry, Samson, Sanguinetti, Nash, etc as "lazy" for not showing up.
I haven't heard Rutherford publicly slam any of those guys for showing up at the beginning of the season out of shape either! How many of those guys were Canes 1st round picks with high expectations?

Done.

TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 01:58 PM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahuna View Post
I haven't heard Rutherford publicly slam any of those guys for showing up at the beginning of the season out of shape either! How many of those guys were Canes 1st round picks with high expectations?

Done.
I like how you throw in "Canes" 1st round picks, since three of those five players were indeed first round picks. So since other teams drafted them, they somehow are exempt from having to work as hard and from criticism for (allegedly) not doing so?

I've long maintained that people's hate for Boychuk has everything to do with their initial expectations, and nothing to do with anything reasonable, and you've pretty much summed up my case. Only people who can't let go of the past suggest that Zach Boychuk not be giving a qualifying offer while at the same time sing the praises of Bobby Sanguinetti.

YOU expected a lot from Zach Boychuk while not giving a **** about those other players because they were drafted by other teams or not as high as Boychuk, so now you hold Boychuk to a higher standard to the point where players who are in the exact same situation as him get precisely zero criticism for doing the same thing.

Come on. Just read your and caniac247's posts. It's just flat out absurd what you two write. This stuff gets said about NOBODY else. There are what, four players who aren't established NHLers who have shown up, yet all you guys do is rant about Boychuk and say absolutely nothing about the other 20+ guys who are still at home. Sad. Just get over it, please.

Last edited by impeach estaalo: 09-05-2012 at 02:07 PM.
impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 02:01 PM
Joe McGrath

Quote:

Done.
These informal workouts don't do anything to get players in shape. If they did, Eric Staal, and the team in general wouldn't have played like total **** the first two months last season.

These workouts are an excuse to get back on the ice with teammates and settle in before training camps primarily for guys who have living arrangements already set up(see veterans who own homes in Raleigh). There's more to it than just showing up at the rink.

Joe McGrath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 02:08 PM
TheBigKahuna

Quote:
I like how you throw in "Canes" 1st round picks, since three of those five players were indeed first round picks. So since other teams drafted them, they somehow are exempt from having to work as hard and from criticism for (allegedly) not doing so?

I've long maintained that people's hate for Boychuk has everything to do with their initial expectations, and nothing to do with anything reasonable, and you've pretty much summed up my case. Only people who can't let go of the past suggest that Zach Boychuk not be giving a qualifying offer while at the same time sing the praises of Bobby Sanguinetti.

YOU expected a lot from Zach Boychuk while not giving a **** about those other players because they were drafted by other teams or not as high as Boychuk, so now you hold Boychuk to a higher standard to the point where players who are in the exact same situation as him get precisely zero criticism for doing the same thing.

Come on. Just read your and caniac247's posts. It's just flat out absurd what you two write. This stuff gets said about NOBODY else. There are what, four players who aren't established NHLers who have shown up, yet all you guys do is rant about Boychuk and say absolutely nothing about the other 20+ guys who are still at home. Sad.

Why I'm not talking about those other guys you mentioned is quite simple. None of them really have an ice cube's chance in hell of making the Canes roster in the next two seasons. There isn't space, and they aren't good enough to supplant anyone currently signed to a one way contract. Period. Boychuck is now a permanent fixture on this list as well. By his own hand. There's a DARNED good reason why Bowman and Dalpe are ahead of Boychuck on the depth chart, and will remain there.

Old
09-05-2012, 02:10 PM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

Quote:
Why I'm not talking about those other guys you mentioned is quite simple. None of them really have an ice cube's chance in hell of making the Canes roster in the next two seasons. There isn't space, and they aren't good enough to supplant anyone currently signed to a one way contract. Period. Boychuck is now a permanent fixture on this list as well.
So you're not talking about the other guys who are on the same "list" as Boychuk because they are...on the same list as Boychuk? Thanks for clarifying this. You don't talk about them because they don't have a chance to make the team, and yet you don't think Boychuk has a chance to make the team.

It's "by his own doing", which is apparently by not coming to camp early enough. Yet the other players who are not coming to camp early are apparently not in the same boat? They could not benefit at all or increase their chance at cracking the roster by coming? That's the only way your post makes any sense whatsoever.

Just another awful post in a long line of them in this thread.

Old
09-05-2012, 02:12 PM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Why I'm not talking about those other guys you mentioned is quite simple. None of them really have an ice cube's chance in hell of making the Canes roster in the next two seasons. There isn't space, and they aren't good enough to supplant anyone currently signed to a one way contract. Period. Boychuck is now a permanent fixture on this list as well. By his own hand. There's a DARNED good reason why Bowman and Dalpe are ahead of Boychuck on the depth chart, and will remain there.
It's because he is a scorer who isn't particularly good at scoring, not because he's out of shape.

Old
09-05-2012, 02:17 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
There's a DARNED good reason why Bowman and Dalpe are ahead of Boychuck on the depth chart, and will remain there.
Just Curious, what has Dalpe done at the NHL or AHL level that puts him ahead of Boychuk on the depth chart? I would say that where those two end up on the depth chart will fully depend on how they perform at camp and pre-season this year (especially with a new coach that has only seen each of them for a handful of games).

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 02:20 PM
TheBigKahuna

Quote:

It's "by his own doing", which is apparently by not coming to camp early enough. Yet the other players who are not coming to camp early are apparently not in the same boat? They could not benefit at all or increase their chance at cracking the roster by coming? That's the only way your post makes any sense whatsoever.

I don't know if I can dumb it down enough for you, but I'll give it a try.

Boychuck's career IS in HIS OWN hands. It's not up to Maurice, Muller, Rutherford, etc. If the kid can't come to camp in shape, if he can't take advantage of EVERY opportunity they give him, and if he can't score goals, he's never going to play in the NHL. If showing up for informals has helped Bowman or Dalpe even a little bit, then why wouldn't Boychuck use that opportunity? Has Boychuck attended a Gary Roberts camp? It's not secret that the kid has a lazy steak a mile wide. He was a Canes 1st round draft pick. He'll end up as another GMs problem in another year or two....just as we ended up with Sanguinetti, etc. Boychuck is in the AHL because he's yet to show that he possess either the skill or desire to play at a higher level.

Yes, he is a 1st round bust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
Just Curious, what has Dalpe done at the NHL or AHL level that puts him ahead of Boychuk on the depth chart? I would say that where those two end up on the depth chart will fully depend on how they perform at camp and pre-season this year (especially with a new coach that has only seen each of them for a handful of games).
Dalpe was the best player in camp last summer. He shocked a LOT of people when he failed to stick around as a full time player last fall. I don't know what the official excuse is, but the inability to score in games is probably the biggest reason. But Boychuck has been passed by 3 players on the callup depth chart...and I think the climb back up taht ladder is too steep for a player with his work ethic. It doesn't help that he can't score on NHL ice either. At least Samson and Bowman have really strong 2 way games...and Dalpe has speed and a shot far superior to Boychuck.

Old
09-05-2012, 02:27 PM
Guy

vCash: 322
CanesChantel provides the level of Boston area news I have long desired.

Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 02:27 PM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

Quote:
Dalpe was the best player in camp last summer.
rofl

Old
09-05-2012, 02:38 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Dalpe was the best player in camp last summer. He shocked a LOT of people when he failed to stick around as a full time player last fall. I don't know what the official excuse is, but the inability to score in games is probably the biggest reason.
Yes, at the start of last season, I would agree Dalpe was ahead of him on the depth chart (obviously). But at the end of the day, both player saw only 16 games in the NHL, Dalpe was never called up again after January, and Boychuk outscored him in Charlotte (both years). So again, I ask what has Dalpe done that places him higher on the depth chart?

EDIT: and by the way, I have no problem with people saying Boychuk will never make it, etc.. I have doubts myself that he'll ever make it (at least with the Canes).

Old
09-05-2012, 02:39 PM
TheBigKahuna

Quote:
rofl
Yeah....your stupidty is quite funny. I guess you were at camp last year and saw Dalpe scoring almost at will during scrimmages and drills? I did not hear Boychuck's name mentioned at all in Calder talks, but Dalpe was a preseason contender accordiing to a lot of national writers. He fell WAY short, but impressed a LOT of people last fall.

But apparently your man crush on Boychuck makes him the Canes best prospect?

One word for you to sum this up. Bust.

Last edited by TheBigKahuna: 09-05-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old
09-05-2012, 02:51 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Nvm.......

Last edited by Boom Boom Anton: 09-05-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old
09-05-2012, 02:53 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Who's this Boychuck character? Never heard of him...

Brock Anton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 03:04 PM
TheBigKahuna

Even Jared Stall is here skating...and I've got as good a shot at making the NHL as he does! But at least he's here trying!

Old
09-05-2012, 03:05 PM
Joe McGrath

HE'S A BUST!

Zac Dalpe who is a month younger and has been out scored at every level by him is not.

Old
09-05-2012, 03:05 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 4205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Anton View Post
Who's this Boychuck character? Never heard of him...
Did you just say Boychuk has no character?

Let's have a 10-page argument about it...

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 03:06 PM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Even Jared Stall is here skating...and I've got as good a shot at making the NHL as he does! But at least he's here trying!
You think he might have a place to stay that doesn't cost him a dime?

Old
09-05-2012, 03:10 PM
TheBigKahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
You think he might have a place to stay that doesn't cost him a dime?
I hear these players are real ******, and would NEVER consider letting one of the younger guys crash for a couple of weeks. Especially the old retired farts like Brindy and Francis!

Old
09-05-2012, 03:13 PM
TheBigKahuna

Quote:
HE'S A BUST!

Zac Dalpe who is a month younger and has been out scored at every level by him is not.
Effort is often rewarded.

If you've failed 3 times, since being drafted, to make it to the big league....just maybe, wouldn't you try something different one summer to try and change your destiny? I'm just saying...

....he's a bust.

Oops....sorry...he's failed 4 times now to make the Canes team. Not 3.

Boychuck is on a blistering .03 points per game average BETTER than Dalpe at this point in their careers....although Boychuck has had twice as many games as Dalpe at this point.

Old
09-05-2012, 03:15 PM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
I hear these players are real ******, and would NEVER consider letting one of the younger guys crash for a couple of weeks. Especially the old retired farts like Brindy and Francis!
Yeah, I bet Francis and Brindy would love that arrangement...

Old
09-05-2012, 03:18 PM
TheBigKahuna

Quote:
Yeah, I bet Francis and Brindy would love that arrangement...

I said that because Francis has welcomed younger players into his home before. I was attempting sarcasm.

Old
09-05-2012, 03:24 PM
Chicago Made Punk
You're Gonna Go Far

vCash: 446
Quote:

Come on. Just read your and caniac247's posts. It's just flat out absurd what you two write. This stuff gets said about NOBODY else. There are what, four players who aren't established NHLers who have shown up, yet all you guys do is rant about Boychuk and say absolutely nothing about the other 20+ guys who are still at home. Sad. Just get over it, please.
Absolutely this.

Chicago Made Punk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 03:26 PM
Chicago Made Punk
You're Gonna Go Far

vCash: 446
Quote:
Boychuck is on a blistering .03 points per game average BETTER than Dalpe at this point in their careers....although Boychuck has had twice as many games as Dalpe at this point.

Did you just try to use games played to detract from points per game?
You realize that the whole point of points per game is that it is adjusted for games played, right?

Chicago Made Punk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 03:36 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
Did you just say Boychuk has no character?

Let's have a 10-page argument about it...
Boychuk is NOT dreamy.

Brock Anton is online now   Reply With Quote