Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Winnipeg Blue Bombers/CFL Thread Pt. 2 - Fire Mack Edition

Closed Thread

Old
09-04-2012, 12:44 PM
KingSalamon

vCash: 500
Yes and no... the previous owners were not good for the league... that said, you would have thought there would be a new owner lined up to take over if there was someone.

Will the team do well with their new owners etc? Time will tell and the team does have a lot of rich history (before I followed football mind you) but I don't think that'll be enough. They need to succeed and get butts in the seats.

Just don't call them the Renegades again (or the RoughRiders either)... or have they announced the team name yet? Are they planning on playing in 2014? Perhaps the Bombers new stadium will be ready by then?

Old
09-04-2012, 01:36 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
Does anybody else think its weird that they're going to put another cfl team in Ottawa...a place that it has failed twice in spectacular fashion?
I blame the various ownership groups for Ottawa's troubles. They had Eric Tillman for awhile until they fired him to save money. Personal issues aside, at least he's a credible football man,

In the off-season, I hope the buchko and mack experiments are over. Makes no sense to fire them right now, though that's the popular opinion. Instead, I'd like changes over the winter, and hope they find:

1) An experienced CFL management guy, as CEO, like a Scott Ackles or Bob Nicholson (argos). Someone who has done it before that can put a solid foundation in place. Not sure what Jim Bell's job would be then, maybe a VP and CFO role? That person can pick the new GM/coach. Moving into the new stadium, maximizing revenue, and hosting a GC in next couple of yrs (or 2 within decade) and maximizing revenue should be focus of that individual. Ackles makes sense to me.

2) A quality coach/gm combo. Have an Asst GM in place, so the new hire would have similar role as John Hufnagel in Calgary. Ideally a Mike Riley type, though he's signed until 2019 I believe. Maybe a Tom Higgins. I'd prefer someone with bomber ties, but don't see many out there. Not a huge higgins fan, but he only had one coaching season under .500. Boy I'd take that at the moment. I would not want a first year head coach though I'm sure there are worthy candidates - a Rick Campbell or Dave Dickenson or ?? I say let's win a GC, and snap the streak first, then let someone 'cut their teeth'.

3) A QB. Who can play.

Old
09-04-2012, 01:52 PM
KingSalamon

I disagree on the timing of the GM sacking... they can do it as soon as they find a replacement (today works for me... lol). The reason for this is that the new GM can watch the current roster and then blow things up in the off-season and create the new team that he envisions.

As for the QB spot... who can we get... there is definitely a shortage in the league at the QB position... Pierce is an ideal backup as he can NOT be relied on for a full season.

Old
09-04-2012, 02:09 PM
Reed Solomon
GO ✈'s GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSalamon View Post
Just don't call them the Renegades again (or the Rough Riders either)... or have they announced the team name yet? Are they planning on playing in 2014? Perhaps the Bombers new stadium will be ready by then?
Renegades was a pretty decent name, don't know why people didn't like it. How about Ruffians? Seems like a cross between the two. While I think it's amusing to have two teams with the words Rough and Riders in their name, it's pretty dumb to have from a league standpoint.

Makes you appreciate the Blue Bombers moniker. Thanks, Vince Leah!

Old
09-04-2012, 03:25 PM
Shakey Rustie
2L

vCash: 1077
Bombers say Mack's job is safe:
http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=404512

Old
09-04-2012, 03:36 PM
Diatidialga

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakey Rustie View Post
Bombers say Mack's job is safe:
http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=404512

Can already see the Fan Strike coming, and it's not going to be pretty.

Old
09-04-2012, 03:37 PM
SensibleGuy

Elliots got the start this wknd too...which I'm OK with actually. Frankly, I think Buck is barely a starting QB even when he's not playing hurt.

Old
09-04-2012, 04:07 PM
metalfoot
Karlsson!

I'm looking anywhere for a conspiracy theory to explain why our boys in Blue and Gold have stunk so badly this year and this weekend in particular... Not being hugely into CFL I don't know all the ins and outs but I do lament how badly this year's been going.

Old
09-04-2012, 04:48 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSalamon View Post
I disagree on the timing of the GM sacking... they can do it as soon as they find a replacement (today works for me... lol). The reason for this is that the new GM can watch the current roster and then blow things up in the off-season and create the new team that he envisions.

As for the QB spot... who can we get... there is definitely a shortage in the league at the QB position... Pierce is an ideal backup as he can NOT be relied on for a full season.
I guess I see hiring a competent President and CEO as being key, and the only one the BoD should be involved in. Hire a credible football administrator, and have him put his people in place. His GM/player personnel/coach, etc. Fire Mack now, and replace him with who? Then when that fails, replace them all in off-season?

BTW, who is firing Mack? The Board? Buchko? If not Buchko, then what is Buchko's job as President and CEO? Why is the BoD chairman is talking about not firing Mack instead of Buchko? Is it because he was contacted by media, or because they won't let Buchko talk to media yet. Either way, the BoD is too involved, IMO, and Buchko isn't the leader of the organization, though he's in a leadership role.

My belief is the bomber organization is seriously messed up when it comes to reporting structure. I believe there is a lack of leadership because nobody knows what the hell they are responsible for and who they ultimately report to. A new CEO can clarify those lines. Now, can the BoD be less involved in the day-to-day operation of the team, that remains to be seen.

Old
09-04-2012, 05:19 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Of course macks job is safe.
You dont fire a gm mid season

He will be fired the first day after the final game

Old
09-04-2012, 09:02 PM
LadyJet26
GO JETS GO!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Bang on Bob E bang on! Crowton looks to be about the worst O coordinator in some time and that's pretty bad.

That stupid grin Jovon Johnson had at the end of the game needs to be slapped off him, where is the leadership on this sinking ship?
Jovon Johnson and his ego need to GTFO. He is seriously annoying now. Oh I get no respect. You won the freaking DOY so ****. He's a cocky SOB who thinks he's better then everyone else. Well your play hasn't showed that this year Jovon.

Old
09-05-2012, 09:48 AM
GrandChelems

vCash: 2209
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfoot View Post
I'm looking anywhere for a conspiracy theory to explain why our boys in Blue and Gold have stunk so badly this year and this weekend in particular... Not being hugely into CFL I don't know all the ins and outs but I do lament how badly this year's been going.
Here's a conspiracy: the Bombers stink right now because the team is acting much like the fans do ... making knee-jerk reactions and turning over personnel left and right. Hell, if someone so much as smirks on camera, fire him. Don't bother building in stability.

How about trying the Canucks board for a little insight? The BC Lions had about the same record this time last year, and I'm sure all their fans were doing the Chicken Little thing then too (Fire this guy! Fire that guy! He's got to go!). Of course they went on to win the Grey Cup last year too ... against the Bombers.

Old
09-05-2012, 12:15 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksnWpg View Post
Jovon Johnson and his ego need to GTFO. He is seriously annoying now. Oh I get no respect. You won the freaking DOY so ****. He's a cocky SOB who thinks he's better then everyone else. Well your play hasn't showed that this year Jovon.
Hefney and Johnson showing that midget DB's do have their faults, Hefney had his clock cleaned by Dressler all afternoon in Regina.

Old
09-05-2012, 01:10 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandChelems View Post
Here's a conspiracy: the Bombers stink right now because the team is acting much like the fans do ... making knee-jerk reactions and turning over personnel left and right. Hell, if someone so much as smirks on camera, fire him. Don't bother building in stability.

How about trying the Canucks board for a little insight? The BC Lions had about the same record this time last year, and I'm sure all their fans were doing the Chicken Little thing then too (Fire this guy! Fire that guy! He's got to go!). Of course they went on to win the Grey Cup last year too ... against the Bombers.
1) That isn't as much of a conspiracy as one may think.

2) BC has a team with talent, the bombers do not.

Old
09-05-2012, 02:10 PM
No Name Poster
Maurice Navidad

vCash: 1000
Greg Carr just traded to the Roughriders.
Wow, Taman loves those former Bombers.

Old
09-05-2012, 02:36 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Hefney and Johnson showing that midget DB's do have their faults, Hefney had his clock cleaned by Dressler all afternoon in Regina.
Hefney and johnson are far from the problems with this team

Old
09-05-2012, 02:42 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
From what i have heard and rwad they are no angels in the dressing room
So yes they are a big problem

Old
09-05-2012, 02:43 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameronhoo View Post
Greg Carr just traded to the Roughriders.
Wow, Taman loves those former Bombers.
LoL that didnt last long in edmonton

Old
09-05-2012, 02:47 PM
No Name Poster
Maurice Navidad

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
LoL that didnt last long in edmonton
It's actually too bad we didn't re-sign Carr and trade him to Sask. Edmonton got a 6'9" Canadian Olineman out of the deal.

Oh well, had we re-signed Carr, Matthews probably wouldn't have busted out so quickly

Old
09-05-2012, 02:48 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
Quote:
Aside from not being able to cover any more how exactly are they helping the team. Even the Winnipeg Sun has give the secondary a ranking of D this season. Johnson grinning in a post game interview after the Labour Day blow out wanted me to reach out and punch him in the face.

Old
09-05-2012, 03:08 PM
Bob E

I think I've seen Jovon Johnson chasing an opposition receiver heading for a touchdown - at times 15 or 20 yds behind them- more afteo 9 gms this year than I've seen in the last 4 combined. Not sure if that's JJ being beat clean or a breakdown in team coverage, but he seems to the guy chasing.

Hefney is a completely undisciplined. But it takes all types to fill a roster. If they perform, as they have in past, won't be as much an issue. They have to step it up, but there are bigger problems that need addressing immediately. A quality QB and MLB would be where I'd start. Muamba is a quality player, but let's get a game changer in the middle.

Old
09-05-2012, 03:15 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
I think I've seen Jovon Johnson chasing an opposition receiver heading for a touchdown - at times 15 or 20 yds behind them- more afteo 9 gms this year than I've seen in the last 4 combined. Not sure if that's JJ being beat clean or a breakdown in team coverage, but he seems to the guy chasing.

Hefney is a completely undisciplined. But it takes all types to fill a roster. If they perform, as they have in past, won't be as much an issue. They have to step it up, but there are bigger problems that need addressing immediately. A quality QB and MLB would be where I'd start. Muamba is a quality player, but let's get a game changer in the middle.
Exactly, two most important positions in football. Both run their respective sides of the ball. Move Muamba to SAM linebacker, get a real force in the middle (maybe go after Bighill or Eliminian, both should start in the CFL, which will BC keep?). Find a real QB. Whether that's Elliott, Brink or elsewhere (it's not Pierce), IDK, but we need better players in key spots.

Hefney and Johnson are still fantastic players. Johnson has not been nearly as good this year, but this is a guy who was the best player in the CFL, IMO, last season, you don't get rid of that talent that fast. Hefney is a game breaker, he is not consistent, but he brings the energy and attitude to the defense. It gains lots of emotion. Not every player is a quite good about his business type, it's why leaders like Hefney and Willis are so valuable, they give a team identity. Those two guys are solid contributors, despite SOME struggles this year. Not as bad as some are saying, the lack of a consistent pass rush, the fact our LB's are not helping out and a Logan who is not offering much help due to injuries and inconsistency is killing us, IMO, not the DB's.

Old
09-05-2012, 04:06 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Exactly, two most important positions in football. Both run their respective sides of the ball. Move Muamba to SAM linebacker, get a real force in the middle (maybe go after Bighill or Eliminian, both should start in the CFL, which will BC keep?). Find a real QB. Whether that's Elliott, Brink or elsewhere (it's not Pierce), IDK, but we need better players in key spots.

Hefney and Johnson are still fantastic players. Johnson has not been nearly as good this year, but this is a guy who was the best player in the CFL, IMO, last season, you don't get rid of that talent that fast. Hefney is a game breaker, he is not consistent, but he brings the energy and attitude to the defense. It gains lots of emotion. Not every player is a quite good about his business type, it's why leaders like Hefney and Willis are so valuable, they give a team identity. Those two guys are solid contributors, despite SOME struggles this year. Not as bad as some are saying, the lack of a consistent pass rush, the fact our LB's are not helping out and a Logan who is not offering much help due to injuries and inconsistency is killing us, IMO, not the DB's.
Elimimian (or bighill) is exactly the type of player the bombers need, imo. Good call HC. Right now the bombers are trying Jovon at SAM. Hmmmm. The guy is 5'9 180 lbs. I don't see that working out as well as they hope.

Injuries have hurt the team, especially at DB, but there is some talent there. They need a consistent playmaker in the middle.

At QB, it might be just me but Elliot seems to have zero mobility to avoid the rush. He is a pocket passer, doesn't even roll out much. Teams can pin their ears back and get after him. I'd blitz and pressure him all game to get him moving out of the pocket. 9 times out of 10, likely end up in sack. Brink has much better mobility, but when pressured, throws off his back foot and is much less accurate. I don't see a future for him but Elliot could develop into a Danny McManus type guy. Maybe.

There has to be a guy that can scramble and throw a bit on the run. I'd take a NFL cast off right about now.

Old
09-05-2012, 04:27 PM
Brian Cadle Fan

vCash: 167
Quote:
Gotta love coach Burke is the post game, "we'll have a game plan for them next week", WTF did they just wing it in the blow-out?

PS Who in the hell hired Gary Crowton (so called O-coordinator) and his 0 experience in the CFL or pro football for that matter, he should have been sent packing with LaPo.
My take on this is that Crowton was shoved down Lapo's throat. It was either accept Crowton or lose his job. He tried to make it work with Crowton and lost his job as a reward. We are now stuck with an OC with NO knowledge of the Canadian game. God help us, because Crowton won't.

Old
09-05-2012, 05:19 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Cadle Fan View Post
My take on this is that Crowton was shoved down Lapo's throat. It was either accept Crowton or lose his job. He tried to make it work with Crowton and lost his job as a reward. We are now stuck with an OC with NO knowledge of the Canadian game. God help us, because Crowton won't.
No kidding. An OC with 1/2 a season of 'experience'. How did Mack see this as a non-issue and fired LaPo anyway. That's why the timing of LaPo's firing was so strange, IMO. Just a bad decision. If you miss the playoffs, then do a review and let him go. Let the new guy start fresh.

That's why the bombers are so messed up and its been like that for years.

Closed Thread