HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MMA General Discussion Thread (UFC, Strikeforce, Dream etc...)

Closed Thread

Old
08-31-2012, 10:45 AM
Musashi

vCash: 500
awesome match up, how do you guys see this fight going?

Old
08-31-2012, 10:54 AM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Brodziak View Post
I'm hoping they make Weidman vs Belcher now, that would be an awesome fight
belcher has some cranial or spinal fracture so im guess that wont be for a while

Old
08-31-2012, 11:33 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:
awesome match up, how do you guys see this fight going?
my personal opinion is that frankie mauls him and maybe finishes Aldo. aldo is very good but he couldnt finish hominick who i dont think is all that good at all. Frankie is durable and tough and doesnt quit. I thought he beat bendo last time but a dec is a dec. if aldo can keep his distance and land from outside he could win but Frankie is to relentless to let that happen. If frankie can handle a much bigger bendo he wont have a problem having his way with Aldo imo.

Aldo opened up as -175 favorite, I will be putting a few $$'s on frankie.

Old
08-31-2012, 11:39 AM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
my personal opinion is that frankie mauls him and maybe finishes Aldo. aldo is very good but he couldnt finish hominick who i dont think is all that good at all. Frankie is durable and tough and doesnt quit. I thought he beat bendo last time but a dec is a dec. if aldo can keep his distance and land from outside he could win but Frankie is to relentless to let that happen. If frankie can handle a much bigger bendo he wont have a problem having his way with Aldo imo.

I agree. As long as Edgar doesn't pull a Mendes, I see him taking it. Then again, I was wrong about Sonnen Silva

Old
08-31-2012, 12:14 PM
Musashi

Quote:

I'm leaning the other way.. I think Aldo has a chance at being the first guy to stop frankie. I think he can chew frankie apart with his leg kicks and his power advantage will be the deciding factor in this fight.

I thought Aldo was impressive in the hominick fight with his head movement and beating hominick down pretty good despite being gassed for much of the fight. Frankie should definitely have a cardio advantage and I don't see the weight cut affecting that too much but I'm interested in seeing how he looks without having a distinct speed advantage like he had at lw.

Imo frankie stopping aldo is very unlikely unless Aldo gasses hard but then again Frankie is probably the last fighter to ever count out and I never saw him finishing Gray in devastating fashion like he did. Should be a hell of a fight!

Old
08-31-2012, 12:39 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

I feel like if Maynard couldnt KO frankie there is no way Aldo will. Aldo is significantly more technical though so its hard to say. I dislike the lower weightclasses quite a bit but this one will be one i wont want to miss.

also after the Calgary debacle i decided that im going to treat myself to Fox 5 in Seattle. BJ/Rory, Shogun, gustafsson and Diaz/bendo. Shogun and Bj are 2 of my all time favs so this will be awesome. *hopefully there is no injuries.

Old
08-31-2012, 01:00 PM
April Ethereal
Eternal rains...

vCash: 907
I can see Edgar winning this one. He'll still have a reasonable speed advantage, and he'll be a little bigger relative to the smaller division.

Love me some lighter weights. They always bring it and beat down the larger weights in excitement every time, so bring this fight on.

Old
08-31-2012, 01:08 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
One of those matches I really can see go either way. Looking forward to this fight more than Koch-Aldo

Old
08-31-2012, 02:21 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

agree koch aldo was just a matter of how fast will aldo kill him

Old
08-31-2012, 03:20 PM
OilDrop37

vCash: 4433
Expect a ton of leg kicks from Aldo. I doubt Aldo will finish Frankie but I can't see him losing in Brazil.

Old
08-31-2012, 04:01 PM
Musashi

Quote:
I feel like if Maynard couldnt KO frankie there is no way Aldo will. Aldo is significantly more technical though so its hard to say. I dislike the lower weightclasses quite a bit but this one will be one i wont want to miss.

also after the Calgary debacle i decided that im going to treat myself to Fox 5 in Seattle. BJ/Rory, Shogun, gustafsson and Diaz/bendo. Shogun and Bj are 2 of my all time favs so this will be awesome. *hopefully there is no injuries.
I think aldo has much better finishing skills and killer instict then Maynard and has some lethal knees that can put out anybody. It'll be interesting to see how edgar deals with his kicks, he had some success catching bensons kicks but he couldn't do much with it

I love the lower weight classes.. so much speed, technique, and those guys bring it. Its a shame you don't enjoy the smaller guys.

I don't think there is a fight i'm looking forward to more than diaz and henderson, very jealous you are going man, praying for no injuries!!

Old
08-31-2012, 08:46 PM
Spawn

Quote:

Maynard hasn't finished a fight in 5 years. In that same time frame Aldo has 8 knock outs/TKO's.

Jose Aldo is one of the most dangerous strikers there is, Frankie is going to have to be careful early in the fight.

That being said, I think Frankie will be able to wear him down in later rounds and likely will be able to out wrestle him. Although I'm not sure, Aldo's wrestling seems pretty strong and even though Edgar is dropping down a weight class I'm not sure I would give him the size advantage.

Old
09-05-2012, 11:18 AM
joestevens29

If this is a go, this card will probably be one of the best ones on paper in a long time.

http://www.tsn.ca/mma/story/?id=404552

"I think we're pretty close. I mean if Georges St-Pierre beats [Carlos] Condit, that could be the next fight," UFC president Dana White told Ariel Helwani on FUEL TV's UFC Tonight, on Tuesday.

"These guys want to fight each other now," explained White. "If you're a fighter and you've dominated as long as Anderson has and you've been great as long as Georges has, you finally want to say, 'I think I can beat this guy.'"

If the fight were to take place, White admitted that Dallas Cowboys Stadium in Dallas, Texas would be the most likely location.

Old
09-05-2012, 11:29 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
If this is a go, this card will probably be one of the best ones on paper in a long time.

http://www.tsn.ca/mma/story/?id=404552

"I think we're pretty close. I mean if Georges St-Pierre beats [Carlos] Condit, that could be the next fight," UFC president Dana White told Ariel Helwani on FUEL TV's UFC Tonight, on Tuesday.

"These guys want to fight each other now," explained White. "If you're a fighter and you've dominated as long as Anderson has and you've been great as long as Georges has, you finally want to say, 'I think I can beat this guy.'"

If the fight were to take place, White admitted that Dallas Cowboys Stadium in Dallas, Texas would be the most likely location.
if mma history has taught us anything

im talking pride 03 GP where chuck came from teh UFC to fight Wand and then ended up losing to rampage.

or

when everyone was hyped to see a rampage/wand rematch and shogun kicked rampages dome out of the ring..

there are plenty of examples of it happening in the past so I calling it now.

Condit will spoil the fight

i dont think condit can beat gsp, but i also didnt think serra could either.

Old
09-05-2012, 11:33 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
if mma history has taught us anything

im talking pride 03 GP where chuck came from teh UFC to fight Wand and then ended up losing to rampage.

or

when everyone was hyped to see a rampage/wand rematch and shogun kicked rampages dome out of the ring..

there are plenty of examples of it happening in the past so I calling it now.

Condit will spoil the fight

i dont think condit can beat gsp, but i also didnt think serra could either.
GSP losing wouldn't be a shock to me. He is coming off a major injury so anything is possible.

Old
09-05-2012, 03:43 PM
OilDrop37

Quote:
GSP losing wouldn't be a shock to me. He is coming off a major injury so anything is possible.
I agree on the "anything is possible" part but I can't figure out what Condit brings to the table that GSP can't counter. GSP is the master at point taking, better boxer, better wrestler, stronger with better take down defense. Unless he blows out his knee throwing a superman punch, Georges will win this fight. It'll most likely be a 5 round UA.

Old
09-05-2012, 03:49 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
I agree on the "anything is possible" part but I can't figure out what Condit brings to the table that GSP can't counter. GSP is the master at point taking, better boxer, better wrestler, stronger with better take down defense. Unless he blows out his knee throwing a superman punch, Georges will win this fight. It'll most likely be a 5 round UA.
I read this and wondered if the UFC should make GSP vs. Anderson a 10 round fight. Going be at least 9 rounds of feeling each other out.

Old
09-05-2012, 04:28 PM
Musashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
who knows how gsp is going to look after his big injury lay off. Condit is very well rounded, but he brings the ability to finish the fight. 13 kos and 13 subs in 28 wins is pretty unheard of, this is anything but a sure thing imo

Old
09-05-2012, 05:00 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

Quote:
who knows how gsp is going to look after his big injury lay off. Condit is very well rounded, but he brings the ability to finish the fight. 13 kos and 13 subs in 28 wins is pretty unheard of, this is anything but a sure thing imo
condit also has this weird power that you wouldnt think was there but one punching dan hardy isnt easy, gsp couldnt finish him in 5 rounds. i still think GSP humps condit to a dec but the UFC is stupid for setting up AS/GSP without gsp beating condit first. it has all the makings of fail on it.

Old
09-05-2012, 05:05 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
condit also has this weird power that you wouldnt think was there but one punching dan hardy isnt easy, gsp couldnt finish him in 5 rounds. i still think GSP humps condit to a dec but the UFC is stupid for setting up AS/GSP without gsp beating condit first. it has all the makings of fail on it.
UFC hasn't exactly been smart as of late with it's cards, so why start now?

Old
09-05-2012, 05:05 PM
I am the Liquor

I have a better chance of playing on the Oiler's pp this year than Condit has of beating GSP.

Its not happening.

Old
09-05-2012, 06:35 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

Quote:
UFC hasn't exactly been smart as of late with it's cards, so why start now?
True, i hope the fail of 149 and the even bigger flop of 151 will result in less cards, or more supercards and have the scrub fights on fx or whatever. An Ideal business model for the UFC would be 4 ppvs with 4 UFC on fox per year. the Fox card should be top name fighters recognized by most fans (hardcore and casual). The fox card should be littered with previews and hype for the PPV. Stack the PPV and Fox cards and make fans want to watch. overstauration will kill the casual fan. I feel like PPV's arent as big of a deal as they were even 2-3 years ago. We used to have UFC parties all the time but less and less people started showing up. you cant have get togethers every 2nd week.

Old
09-05-2012, 06:48 PM
Musashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I have a better chance of playing on the Oiler's pp this year than Condit has of beating GSP.

Its not happening.
wrong jim

Old
09-05-2012, 06:56 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
wrong jim
Wanna bet?

Old
09-05-2012, 07:58 PM
OilDrop37

Quote:
I actually like Condit, I just think he's going to try and out point GSP rather than try and KO him, zero
Chance he can submit him. If he comes out swinging and pushes GSP and doesn't sit back, he might have a chance.

Closed Thread