HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Offseason Thread Part IX: WTF is Pitkanen worth anyway? Not $4.5 million apparently ‎

Old
09-05-2012, 03:54 PM
TheBigKahuna

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutdown Sutter View Post

Did you just try to use games played to detract from points per game?
You realize that the whole point of points per game is that it is adjusted for games played, right?

I was chalking it up to experience. I'm fully aware of what "points per game" means. Your reading comprehension is as bad as Boychuck's work ethic.

TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 04:02 PM
Chicago Made Punk
Unregistered Loser.

vCash: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahuna View Post
I was chalking it up to experience. I'm fully aware of what "points per game" means. Your reading comprehension is as bad as Boychuck's work ethic.
Oh right, so the smaller sample size holds more weight than the larger sample size. That makes a ton of sense.

Chicago Made Punk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 04:08 PM
TheBigKahuna

Quote:
Oh right, so the smaller sample size holds more weight than the larger sample size. That makes a ton of sense.

We'll find out this season (if there is one) once Dalpe catches and passes Boychuck in NHL "games played".

Old
09-05-2012, 04:09 PM
bleedgreen

I love it whn people make crap up. Boychuk is "known" to have a lazy streak. Rutherford tore him up publicly. That's funny. Boychuk was in a group of players "torn up" by jr including dalpe for not having great seasons. All this reading between the lines in what coaches/gms get quoted saying or tweets loses all purpose when used to forward ones biased agenda against a player.

It goes without saying boychuk has to start winning a spot here soon or his career path is in trouble. I doubt he isn't aware of this. I also severely doubt he is or ever has had an attitude or work ethic issue. Other players like dalpe and bowman have done this extra skates before to little difference. Bowman is playing a scrub role at a mediocre level, by default. Dalpe and boychuk are scorers and won't make it as total muckers. Now that too six roles are spoken for I'd hoped these two would get better looks at a more realistic scoring third line role. Not likely with all the one ways in front of them.

bleedgreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 05:46 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Rather than sample sizes, I'd say the use PPG is invalid based on neither player being used in his natural scoring role. Without fact-checking it, my gut says Boychuk got the worst of it as he was used almost entirely as a 4th liner under Maurice.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 06:01 PM
TheBigKahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
I love it whn people make crap up. Boychuk is "known" to have a lazy streak. Rutherford tore him up publicly. That's funny.

You're being ignorant. You saying that John Forslund AND Jimmy Rutherford "make crap up"? Did you hear the interviews? Apparently not.

I watched Boychuck at camp last summer. The kid dogged it or ducked out of every conditioning skating drill that the players went through. And I'm not making up ****!

Old
09-05-2012, 06:12 PM
Sens1Canes2

Without going into as much detail as TBK, the main point of this whole thing is that Boychuk is doing the same things as he's always done. And, we all know that Boychuk hasn't "made it" yet. It wouldn't hurt to change it up, try something different, maybe even get into the org's good books...or at least make it look like you're going the extra mile.
It's really not that complicated.

Sens1Canes2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 06:24 PM
Joe McGrath

For the record, Boychuk showed up on August 31st last year. He had a hell of a season because of it, right? No, he appeared to regress if anything. It was the year before he didn't show up until about a week before training camp started, with notorious lazy ass Brandon Sutter.

EDIT: For the record, I just don't think Boychuk is that good. Showing up to these half-assed skates isn't going to change that. And if he never becomes a regular NHLer people will point to things like this as why despite not knowing if that's truly the case. It is possible to not be any good.

Last edited by Joe McGrath: 09-05-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 06:41 PM
bleedgreen

I remember interviews, let's see what constitutes jr tearing him up.

Let's post all the facts we have that boychuk is a slacker, and is different than all the other guys. Let's get it all out right here so we have a basis to start from.

Old
09-05-2012, 06:42 PM
TheBigKahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post

EDIT: For the record, I just don't think Boychuk is that good. Showing up to these half-assed skates isn't going to change that. And if he never becomes a regular NHLer people will point to things like this as why despite not knowing if that's truly the case. It is possible to not be any good.

No argument here. It's never fair to judge draft picks in hindsight....it's usually a gamble, even in the 1st round. But Boychuck just isn't NHL material. The longer he's in this organization, the more he's going to be passed over by better players. I will give some slack since most of his time has been under Maurice, who develops young talent like Yugoslavians build fine cars. But if Boychuck can't crack the lineup and stay there THIS season with Muller, he never will in my opinion. But Sens1Canes2 summed it up in quite a tidy fashion above. What Boychuck has done for the past 4 seasons hasn't been enough to impress or to make the team. Why not try something different. He most definitely needs more work than Sutter, etc.

Old
09-05-2012, 07:23 PM
impeach estaalo
fire mullo

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens1Canes2 View Post
Without going into as much detail as TBK, the main point of this whole thing is that Boychuk is doing the same things as he's always done.
Says it all, doesn't it? The "main point" is based on people just flat out imagining what Boychuk is doing in Alberta based on nothing but pure imagination (and a tweet about going to a football game; shame on you, Zach). How do we know that Boychuk isn't doing any more training that he has in past years? Furthermore, how we do we even know that he was out of shape last season?

There's an obvious confirmation bias at work here. Boychuk is deemed to be not living up to expectations because he is out of shape. He then has a poor season (yet still outproduces Dalpe) and this is used as proof that he was still out of shape. Since that's not enough, some insist on taking it a step further by bringing "Camp Brind'amour" into this, somehow determining that Boychuk being here means he's not training *at all*. Boychuk must be doing nothing but having a good time by going to baseball games and concerts merely because he's not at Camp Brindy .

Of course, this standard is applied to absolutely nobody else. It's character assassination at work, and the worst part about it is that it is all pure fantasy. How many times does it need to be told to people about Boychuk working out with Keith, Eberle, Green, etc? Yet they insist on putting their fingers in their ears and continue with the Boychuk playing golf/watching baseball/murdering hookers nonsense. It's like acknowledging that Boychuk is in fact training may force them to face the idea that maybe Boychuk isn't all that good of a hockey player. He's a small guy with limited hockey sense. Maybe that's the problem? Though I guess it's easier to scream and yell about some hockey player not living to his potential because HE DOESN'T WANT IT ENOUGH than accepting that your hockey team has one less uber-talented player than you think they do.

Quote:
And, we all know that Boychuk hasn't "made it" yet. It wouldn't hurt to change it up, try something different, maybe even get into the org's good books...or at least make it look like you're going the extra mile.
So showing up two weeks earlier to Camp Brind'amour last year wasn't trying something different? He had a worse year than the year before when he didn't show up until a week before actual camp, so what does that say? What about Anthony Stewart, who showed up on the first day and according to your own inside sources was horribly out of shape.

Quote:
It's really not that complicated.
I know, I get it. Showing up to Camp Brind'amour early = good, and showing up later = bad. It's not complicated at all. It's very wrong, but not complicated.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 07:32 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

I do remember, the camp right after we drafted Boychuk, he impressed everybody before he even hit the ice. He had fractured his wrist during the WHL playoffs and wasn't expected to show up for camp because of that recovery.

Instead, 90 minutes after he was medically cleared to play, he showed up for the start of camp. I believe Boychuk stated something about how excited he was to hear the news and how he rushed to get ready immediately after.

I think if we saw more of that Boychuk and less of the "I'll get there when I get there" Boychuk, there wouldn't be as big of a problem with him.

Even if Camp Brindamour/LaRose does nothing to help conditioning, even if the training he's doing now is better for him, showing up to the camp ASAP shows the organization that you're there to win a spot. You're ready and willing to learn and to fight for a spot. It's a PR move mostly, but considering this organization's view on Boychuk has been steadily slipping, some good PR couldn't hurt.

As far as Rutherford's comments about Boychuk, I can provide links to where he's stated that he wishes Boychuk was more consistent in his play and where he's stated that Boychuk "didn't develop as well as we would have liked". I'm sure if I searched through Twitter, I could find more from the assorted beat writers.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 07:44 PM
impeach estaalo
fire mullo

vCash: 50
I think now would be an appropriate time to pat myself on the back for several excellent posts in this thread. I nominate myself as HFBoards poster of the year. You are welcome to celebrate along with a bronze statue of myself at Chuck E. Cheese's.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 08:01 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Like Our Group View Post
I think now would be an appropriate time to pat myself on the back for several excellent posts in this thread. I nominate myself as HFBoards poster of the year. You are welcome to celebrate along with a bronze statue of myself at Chuck E. Cheese's.
How about another restaurant? I'm afraid a bronze statue of you might scare the children away from Chuck E. Cheese.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 08:02 PM
Chicago Made Punk
Unregistered Loser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Like Our Group View Post
Why would you be nominated for HFBoards poster of the year? You're a lazy poster who shows up to the board out of shape every year. You also spend all of your time at Chuck E. Cheese's. I saw you tweeting about it multiple times a day.

Old
09-05-2012, 08:06 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 3729
I don't care what anyone else thinks about it, because it seems like EVERYONE else disagrees, but Chuck E Cheese pizza is freaking delicious.

Anton Dubinchuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 08:16 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Hang on. What's this about Boychuk murdering hookers? That sounds like it would be good for his conditioning.

If you're going to make a claim like that, you should at the very least provide some Twitter evidence for confirmation.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 08:35 PM
AD Skinner

Y'all know you can drink beer in a Chuck E. Cheese? It's more expensive than it has any right to be, but it makes the Chuck E. Cheese experience very different.

AD Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 08:36 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Hang on. What's this about Boychuk murdering hookers? That sounds like it would be good for his conditioning.

If you're going to make a claim like that, you should at the very least provide some Twitter evidence for confirmation.
Quote:
Zach Boychuk ‏@ZachBoychuk
I murdered a hooker last night. Just thought you guys would like to know... #gettingreadyfortheseason
Found it.

Old
09-05-2012, 08:39 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

OMGosh just remembered that Gragnani's in our organization...

Old
09-05-2012, 08:45 PM
Chicago Made Punk
Unregistered Loser.

Was Gragnani the hooker?

Old
09-05-2012, 08:46 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 445
pfffft, he's no Craig James. Gotta kill at least 4 more Zach

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 08:53 PM
Novacane
RIP UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
OMGosh just remembered that Gragnani's in our organization...

You just reminded me.

Novacane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 09:55 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahuna View Post
No argument here. It's never fair to judge draft picks in hindsight....it's usually a gamble, even in the 1st round. But Boychuck just isn't NHL material. The longer he's in this organization, the more he's going to be passed over by better players. I will give some slack since most of his time has been under Maurice, who develops young talent like Yugoslavians build fine cars. But if Boychuck can't crack the lineup and stay there THIS season with Muller, he never will in my opinion. But Sens1Canes2 summed it up in quite a tidy fashion above. What Boychuck has done for the past 4 seasons hasn't been enough to impress or to make the team. Why not try something different. He most definitely needs more work than Sutter, etc.
my comments were directed at you. waiting for a response.

Old
09-05-2012, 10:32 PM
Smurf Karlsson
We are the champions

I hope that we can get this Boychuk problem solved very soon. It's clear that if he doesn't make it that he'll be the bigger disappointment. But he has the better chance at succeeding in the nhl than dalpe based on my live viewings of the two.

I too, foolishly bought into the hype that Dalpe was a legitimate Calder candidate, however I soon learned otherwise when I attended the game where he scored last year. Kadri showed more NHL skill with his pretty goal than dalpe did with his rebound off the glass.

I think that TBK's love for Dalpe is absurd and will surely disappoint.

Smurf Karlsson is offline   Reply With Quote