HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ottawa Extends Zack Smith [4 Years, $1,887,500/year]

Old
09-05-2012, 05:35 PM
jbeck5

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Was that the same game as:

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 05:55 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post
Was that the same game as:

Yep. Classic.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 06:22 PM
ponder

Fair contract for a solid bottom 6 player.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 06:27 PM
Hale The Villain

vCash: 50
Good 3rd line center with a fair bit of potential, love that he's signed long-term

Hale The Villain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 06:27 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPiTA View Post
This reminds me of Burrows' last contract. Great value for the Sens. Lets be real though, Smith is a great 3rd line player, but he won't ever match Burrows' point totals.
If he played with the Sedins he might.

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 06:31 PM
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFist View Post
Do you think he's out of place as our 3C? Not to mention he's 24, and it's silly to assume that only the very highly skilled players get better through their 20's. Even if prospects come up and earn a spot ahead of him, at 4C he's no liability. And the term on this contract would make him pretty easy to move IMO (heaven forbid).

In other words, I like the signing
Zibanejad should be our 3rd, which places him as our 4th.
If he's our 4th then we really don't need to sign him to a four-year deal as that kind of talent IS replaceable from within.

It's a strange deal. Our team has a LOT of these tweeners and while you certainly do need a mix, not sure it should be at the expense of someone with genuine upside like Zibanejad or even (heaven forbid) DaCosta. We'll see though. I'm not angry about the deal but I do wonder what's going through Murray's head, what with all these prospects that have been lauded heavily now being stuck in Bingo (not a bad thing for seasoning) instead of challenging for spots.

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 06:40 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFanDan View Post
Zibanejad should be our 3rd, which places him as our 4th.
If he's our 4th then we really don't need to sign him to a four-year deal as that kind of talent IS replaceable from within.

It's a strange deal. Our team has a LOT of these tweeners and while you certainly do need a mix, not sure it should be at the expense of someone with genuine upside like Zibanejad or even (heaven forbid) DaCosta. We'll see though. I'm not angry about the deal but I do wonder what's going through Murray's head, what with all these prospects that have been lauded heavily now being stuck in Bingo (not a bad thing for seasoning) instead of challenging for spots.
It's pretty much accepted that Zibanejad is slotted to be a winger, and that makes a lot of sense.

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 07:04 PM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
It's pretty much accepted that Zibanejad is slotted to be a winger, and that makes a lot of sense.
I don't think it's set in stone that Zib is a winger, but even if Zib becomes our 3rd line center down the road, it isn't as if Smith can't play wing. In fact, it arguable that Smith has played better on the wing than at center in his short NHL career.

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 07:11 PM
CAPiTA

Quote:
Would be interesting to see, but I don't think Smith has the goal scoring instincts Burrows does.

CAPiTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 07:11 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaSenators11 View Post
I am thinking pretty much every sens fan is going to be happy with this deal..
Count me as one Sens fan that does!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Bryan Murray really impressing me lately. A good evaluator of talent and a great hockey mind. Sens lucky to have him.
This. GMBM doesn't get anywhere near the respect he deserves on the Sens board.

Last edited by The Nemesis: 09-05-2012 at 07:15 PM. Reason: qdp
internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 07:19 PM
Hale The Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by internetdotcom View Post
This. GMBM doesn't get anywhere near the respect he deserves on the Sens board.
He gained a lot of respect for taking a supposed lottery team and getting them to the playoffs despite barely spending above the cap floor.

Then lost it all when he traded Foligno for Methot

Hale The Villain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 07:24 PM
dennilfloss
Yes I love disco!

Quite happy with this deal.

dennilfloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 07:28 PM
Jaromir Jagrbombs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer View Post
Murray has been money with re-signing players this offseason
This. Huge fan of the Karl, Turris and Smith deals.

Jaromir Jagrbombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 07:29 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale The Villain View Post
He gained a lot of respect for taking a supposed lottery team and getting them to the playoffs despite barely spending above the cap floor.

Then lost it all when he traded Foligno for Methot
Hopefully :

1) There is a season (starting on time ideally)
2) Methot proves to be a worthy partner for Karlsson

I admit I didn't like that trade, and still don't, but would be happy to be proved wrong. If there is one thing we can agree on, is that GMBM knows a lot more about the NHL and its players/prospects than any poster on HFboards (no matter who will admit it or not).

Old
09-05-2012, 07:45 PM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

Quote:
If there is one thing we can agree on, is that GMBM knows a lot more about the NHL and its players/prospects than any poster on HFboards (no matter who will admit it or not).
Don't know why you think that this is true.

Pietraneglo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 08:25 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post
Don't know why you think that this is true.
rusrsbro? I have to assume sarcasm, because I can't believe that anyone here would actually think they know more than a person who has been an NHL GM for so many years.

Old
09-05-2012, 08:36 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
I simply don't think he has earned this contract. That is not to say it will be a bad one moving forward though..

I fail to see how a 24 year old player with a career total of 38 points is deserving of a 4 year deal...let alone worth nearly 7.5M bucks.

All you need to do in the game today is have a successful half a season in order to become a multimillionaire.

With all that said it shows you the state in which the game is in today, and how far it has progressed in such a short period of time. Is that for better or worse though?

HighLifeMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 08:49 PM
SpezDispenser

Beautiful!

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 08:53 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
I simply don't think he has earned this contract. That is not to say it will be a bad one moving forward though..

I fail to see how a 24 year old player with a career total of 38 points is deserving of a 4 year deal...let alone worth nearly 7.5M bucks.

All you need to do in the game today is have a successful half a season in order to become a multimillionaire.

With all that said it shows you the state in which the game is in today, and how far it has progressed in such a short period of time. Is that for better or worse though?
There is more to this game than points. Especially for a bottom 6er. He hits, fights, agitates, kills penalties, and can contribute on the scoresheet occasionally, even with 'less than stellar' linemates. And on a 70.2 million cap, his salary is going to be about 2.7% of it (and less as the cap increases). This is not a bad contract at all. And the fact that, like the Turris signing, Sens fans are almost unanimously in favour of it should tell you something, as we watch him more than anyone.

Old
09-05-2012, 08:53 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:

He's one of those guys you need to win IMO. He hits, he stands up for teammates, he's decent on the draw and he has some offense as well - even though it dried up in the 2nd half of last year.

I'm surprised we got him re-signed for 4 years, I thought he may have been trade bait for a D-man (I recall there being rumours of a Hjarlmasson/Smith deal), but I guess that was Foligno when the dust settled.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 09:01 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
There is more to this game than points. Especially for a bottom 6er. He hits, fights, agitates, kills penalties, and can contribute on the scoresheet occasionally, even with 'less than stellar' linemates. And on a 70.2 million cap, his salary is going to be about 2.7% of it (and less as the cap increases). This is not a bad contract at all. And the fact that, like the Turris signing, Sens fans are almost unanimously in favour of it should tell you something, as we watch him more than anyone.
Of course there is more to the game than putting up points. That was not my point.

The days of actually earning a long term, big money contract are well behind us and for me personally that is disappointing. This young man is set for life after playing a successful half a season of hockey in the NHL.

I did not say it was a bad contract. I said that I don't think he deserves it, and in fact I feel the same way about the Turris extension as well.

HighLifeMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 09:09 PM
Gil Gunderson

Hopefully he returns to pre-concussion form. He hasn't been the same since.

Gil Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 09:14 PM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
I did not say it was a bad contract. I said that I don't think he deserves it
I suppose it's just the reality of today's NHL, the teams show commitment to a player for the long term for what they believe will be a very good contract if the player performs, as opposed to paying less now and paying much more later.

HavlatMach9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 09:22 PM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
He's got some pretty good underlying numbers at behindthenet. Getting those "little things" sorta guys on friendly deals is a great way to add value to a team. Seems like a great contract for the Senators.

Hockey Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 10:06 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
The days of actually earning a long term, big money contract are well behind us and for me personally that is disappointing. This young man is set for life after playing a successful half a season of hockey in the NHL.

I did not say it was a bad contract. I said that I don't think he deserves it, and in fact I feel the same way about the Turris extension as well.
They aren't comparable situations.

Zach Smith
- just put up upper end 3rd line stats over a full season (page 7 on NHL stats or avg of being a 7th forward across the league)... while playing with Condra, Daugavins and Neil. Players who certainly weren't increasing his stats.

- was 2nd in SH TOI amongst Sens forwards with 179 mins (25th in NHL).
- was 34th in hits among forwards.
- had 8 fights as a willing, middleweight fighter.
- posted a 48.9% face-off percentage, after posting a 53.9% FO% the year before.

Kyle Turris
- put up a mid-level 2nd liner pace over 2/3's of the season (projected 5th forward)... while playing with Alfredsson, who at 59th in scoring was way better than any linemate we ever gave Fisher. In addition, he played with a rotation of guys like Foligno, Greening, Michalek... also typically better linemates than Fisher was saddled with. So the stats are kind of difficult to put full faith in because he may never play with an Alfredsson again and it was only over 2/3's of the season.

- was 14th in SH TOI amongst Sens forwards with 6 mins (314th in NHL).
- was 413th in hits among forwards.
- had his first fight in 3 years against Briere.
- posted a 46.8% face-off percentage, after posting a 50.0% FO% the year before.

One of these players signed for $3.5M and the other signed for $1.89M.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPiTA View Post
This reminds me of Burrows' last contract. Great value for the Sens. Lets be real though, Smith is a great 3rd line player, but he won't ever match Burrows' point totals.
Not arguing the point, but I thought that this was kind of funny:

Z.Smith = 81gp, 14 goals
H.Sedin = 82gp, 14 goals

Last edited by trentmccleary: 09-05-2012 at 10:27 PM.
trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote