HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

The 2013-14 Red Wings

Old
09-05-2012, 02:54 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeersHockey View Post
I will second this. Miller is a hard worker who is noticeable every game he is in the lineup. I have no idea why he is not in the lineup every night.
Agreed. Not many guys will put up his production for his price.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 05:33 PM
Winger98
powers combined

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Follow up article from Khan about Brunner.

09-05-2012, 06:46 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
I remember that report, too, and Brunner getting some (deserved, imo) flak for it. I think it was just a misunderstanding, though, since he's going back to Zug for three weeks to train before heading back over here for GR.

I don't think you're overreacting. Such a commitment to making the NHL is big. We've seen other prospects flame out after refusing to make a similar commitment, we've been down that road before. This is a good sign. Even if the guy doesn't ultimately work out, this has to give him the best shot at making it happen.
The way I read it, he'll play in GR if there is a lockout. That's not necessarily the same as going to GR to learn the North American game.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 07:22 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
The way I read it, he'll play in GR if there is a lockout. That's not necessarily the same as going to GR to learn the North American game.
Why else would he go to GR in case there's a lockout? It's definitely not for the travel or the money.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 08:13 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Why else would he go to GR in case there's a lockout? It's definitely not for the travel or the money.
Not sure. Maybe because he figures it will be a short lockout and he'd sacrifice a month in GR to play with big team.

The way it is worded is curious. Why start in GR if there is a lockout? Why not start in GR if that's where the club wants you to start?

Old
09-06-2012, 01:30 AM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

He's doing what he knows he has to do to play for the Detroit Red Wings. He's demonstrating commitment to playing in the NHL, unlike some previous Euros who lacked that quality. Credit to him for being dedicated to the NA game.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 02:59 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

All I am saying is, if he starts in GR during a lockout and the season starts and he's still in GR, I won't be surprised to see him jet to Switzerland.

All this talk about "doing what it takes to be a Red Wing" is silly.

We've got NHL-ready prospects dying on the vine in the AHL so that we can sign mediocre 3rd and 4th liners. If I am Tomas Tatar, for example, knowing that the chances of making Detroit his year are slim, and even next year are pretty slim... I might be looking for a KHL team right about now.

Old
09-06-2012, 03:26 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
All I am saying is, if he starts in GR during a lockout and the season starts and he's still in GR, I won't be surprised to see him jet to Switzerland.

We've got NHL-ready prospects dying on the vine in the AHL so that we can sign mediocre 3rd and 4th liners. If I am Tomas Tatar, for example, knowing that the chances of making Detroit his year are slim, and even next year are pretty slim... I might be looking for a KHL team right about now.
Best Tatar can do is hope the Wings will loan him. The KHL is now honoring contracts, so he is stuck there until next season. Understand the point, but he cannot just pick up and leave. His statements hinting at that were shot down almost immediately. Not to mention the team that own his rights in SKA are one of the teams we can be pretty sure will max out on their 5 player adds with NHL players one of them being Kovy already having an agreement. If I was the Wings and it could be worked out with the KHL, I would get his rights sent to Slovakia's team. Sounds like they are going to load up if a lockout happens because the rules don't apply as hard to the teams in the KHL not based in Russia. He could play with a lot of NHL talent and give them a really good assessment. But I don't know how willing either SKA or the Wings are to consider this.

Brunner has some outs in his contract. If the lockout becomes season ending I expect him to pick up and leave. Agree that him at least willing to come back in October and play for the Griffins sounds good.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 09:55 AM
Dekesyuk

Quote:

The KHL doesnt work like that "In Soviet Russia Hockey team picks you, you dont pick hockey team" look at great Buffalo Sabres Prospect Grigerenko; The KHL won't touch him because of some crazy KHL loyalty thing. If the KHL wants you there going to get you and there going to have everyone know that their coming after your player. ie Alex Semin, Alex Ovechkin, Ilya Kovalchuck, Alex Radulov (Radulov actually went to the K, Semin was offered HUGE money, Kovy and Ovy both offered somewhere like 12m a year)

Dekesyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 10:03 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Quote:
Not sure. Maybe because he figures it will be a short lockout and he'd sacrifice a month in GR to play with big team.

The way it is worded is curious. Why start in GR if there is a lockout? Why not start in GR if that's where the club wants you to start?
the only real reason to stay and play in GR during a lockout is to put himself into a better position to play in Detroit. And his willingness to do that is a big positive.

Would he go to GR if the Wings tried to assign him there? I don't know because I don't think that question was asked. Considering what Babcock has said about the guy, though, I think part of the reason the question wasn't asked is because the chances of him being sent to GR are almost zero. The guy is penciled in for Detroit.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 11:34 AM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:
Whether it's silly or not is another discussion. The Wings have expectations, and one of those is a demonstration of commitment. Choosing to play in GR instead of running back to Europe is showing that commitment. Doing so puts him in a better position to make the team.

Quote:
And that's even another discussion. Tatar has showed a lot of commitment and dedication as far as I can tell. If he doesn't get a shot soon, I wouldn't blame him one bit for leaving at this point. And I would agree that that would be a foul-up by the Wings. However, Brunner is in a completely different situation. While Tatar has played 3 full seasons in NA, Brunner has never played a game here, let alone a season, or any time in the NHL. Whether you agree with the Wings or not, he needs to show a little dedication to the NA game to give himself the best chance of playing for the Wings. And he appears to be doing that. So, again, credit to him.

Old
09-06-2012, 11:36 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
the only real reason to stay and play in GR during a lockout is to put himself into a better position to play in Detroit. And his willingness to do that is a big positive.

Would he go to GR if the Wings tried to assign him there? I don't know because I don't think that question was asked. Considering what Babcock has said about the guy, though, I think part of the reason the question wasn't asked is because the chances of him being sent to GR are almost zero. The guy is penciled in for Detroit.
Which was a critical flaw in the story.

Nill talks about him like he's going down there on assignment, not like somebody penciled into the Wings lineup.

It's good that he's willing to tune up in GR>

But I think Jaster and other are reading this like, he's somehow different than Ryno and Axelsson et al. I don't think there's much indication that is true

Old
09-06-2012, 12:13 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:
Which was a critical flaw in the story.

Nill talks about him like he's going down there on assignment, not like somebody penciled into the Wings lineup.

It's good that he's willing to tune up in GR>

But I think Jaster and other are reading this like, he's somehow different than Ryno and Axelsson et al. I don't think there's much indication that is true
Seems clear he is different. Ryno and Axelsson were Wings draft picks and were kids the Wings wanted to play in GR. They grudgingly gave it a dozen games then ran off. Brunner is 26, came out of nowhere and signed a contract, and has indicated that he'll play in GR this year. As in, the whole year. Whether there is a lockout or not isn't relevant; he can still choose to play in Europe. I sure don't get the impression that he's going to give it 15 games and then head back to Zug-land. Do you?

Old
09-06-2012, 01:15 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
Whether it's silly or not is another discussion. The Wings have expectations, and one of those is a demonstration of commitment. Choosing to play in GR instead of running back to Europe is showing that commitment. Doing so puts him in a better position to make the team.
And yet, we I hear people say that Jarnkrok or Pulkinnen shoudl stay overseason an extra year.

I agree that it puts Brunner in position to make the team. I'm just not sold that he'd be willing to play a year in GR like Leino did, as was mentioned in the article. I don't think that has been established.

Quote:
And that's even another discussion. Tatar has showed a lot of commitment and dedication as far as I can tell. If he doesn't get a shot soon, I wouldn't blame him one bit for leaving at this point. And I would agree that that would be a foul-up by the Wings. However, Brunner is in a completely different situation. While Tatar has played 3 full seasons in NA, Brunner has never played a game here, let alone a season, or any time in the NHL. Whether you agree with the Wings or not, he needs to show a little dedication to the NA game to give himself the best chance of playing for the Wings. And he appears to be doing that. So, again, credit to him.
IMO, if there is no lockout ... And Brunner comes to camp and earns a spot, he's got it. If he doesn't and he's reassigned, I don't blame him if he goes back to Switzerland.

Old
09-06-2012, 01:17 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
Seems clear he is different. Ryno and Axelsson were Wings draft picks and were kids the Wings wanted to play in GR. They grudgingly gave it a dozen games then ran off. Brunner is 26, came out of nowhere and signed a contract, and has indicated that he'll play in GR this year. As in, the whole year. Whether there is a lockout or not isn't relevant; he can still choose to play in Europe. I sure don't get the impression that he's going to give it 15 games and then head back to Zug-land. Do you?
The point is that those guys went back to Sweden.
And nothing I've read suggests that Brunner is going to toil away for the year in GR. If he does... and it pays off, good for him.

I just don't think, reading that article, that he's made that decisions. Nill appears to be talking as if he is making that decision. But I;m not sold

Old
09-06-2012, 02:23 PM
TatarTangle

Granted Filppula isn't going to knock the guy but if he is giving Brunner accolades I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt on how he'll play in NA, for now.

TatarTangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 07:42 PM
Frk It
#FireHolland

Going to be very interesting to see who is "up" next year and who is "down" between Tatar, Nyquist, Andersson, and then Jarnkrok and maybe even Sheahan or Ferraro.

If Tatar and Nyquist are both up next year, I'm ecstatic. If anyone else is up with them, Hallelujah.

I'd love to see...

Filppula-Z-Brunner
Nyquist-Dats-Franzen
Tatar-Jarnkrok-Helm
Abby-Sheahan-Tootoo
Andersson/Emmerton

or the less crazy

Filppula-Z-Brunner
Nyquist-Dats-Franzen
Tatar-Helm-Tootoo
Abby-Andersson-Eaves
Emmerton

Youth Revolution 2013!!!

Going to assume we do nothing in free agency, cuz ya know... that's what we're good at.

Frk It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 07:54 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
Not enough Holland-bringing-back-current-and-former-players-who-are/will be-way-past-their-usefulness jokes in this thread, IMO.
Don't incite them.

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 08:10 PM
ScottyBowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frk It View Post
Going to be very interesting to see who is "up" next year and who is "down" between Tatar, Nyquist, Andersson, and then Jarnkrok and maybe even Sheahan or Ferraro.

If Tatar and Nyquist are both up next year, I'm ecstatic. If anyone else is up with them, Hallelujah.

I'd love to see...

Filppula-Z-Brunner
Nyquist-Dats-Franzen
Tatar-Jarnkrok-Helm
Abby-Sheahan-Tootoo
Andersson/Emmerton

or the less crazy

Filppula-Z-Brunner
Nyquist-Dats-Franzen
Tatar-Helm-Tootoo
Abby-Andersson-Eaves
Emmerton

Youth Revolution 2013!!!

Going to assume we do nothing in free agency, cuz ya know... that's what we're good at.
Reality is that Abdelkader will be on the first line

ScottyBowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 08:31 PM
Frk It
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBowman View Post
Reality is that Abdelkader will be on the first line
Ah, good point. I always forget that winning pucks along the boards is more important than putting pucks in the net

Frk It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 09:12 PM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

Ideally(not accounting for UFA's/Trades):
Nyquist-Datsyuk-Mule
Filppula-Z-Brunner
Tatar-Helm-Tootoo
Miller-Andersson-Ferraro
-Emmerton
(I dunno, the kids are really coming through. We'll see if Jarnkrok can crack the opening line up in camp. Sheahan and Jurco could use at least one more seasoning. Sheahan should be our first line center in Grand Rapids next year. Ferraro could probably crack the bottom six next year. In reality, it'll be sumfin like this.

Bertuzzi-Dats-Fil
Mule-Z-Brunner
Abdelkader-Helm-Samuelsson
Cleary-Emmerton-Tootoo
-Miller, Eaves.

In short, we need to move Sammy, Bertuzzi, Eaves, Abdelkader, and Cleary

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 02:54 PM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg Yzerman View Post
I
In short, we need to move Sammy, Bertuzzi, Eaves, Abdelkader, and Cleary

And Miller, dude is useless.

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 03:20 PM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
Nope. He is our best penalty killer right now.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 03:28 PM
Flowah
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
If Miller is moved to make space for a prospect, I'm fine with that. But for now, he's a super cheap, dependable, solid PK guy who gets some points and generates chances. I'd dump Cleary and Abby before him, because he does at least what they do for half their cost or less.

Flowah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 04:15 PM
lkleung007

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fading Captain View Post
Here are our UFAs and RFAs after this season
Forward
Filppula, UFA -- Resign, $4.5 to $5M cap hit, depending on his season/role
Cleary, UFA -- Let him go. He'll be 34 in December and his body is worn and torn
Drew Miller, UFA -- Tough Call. If he stays under $1M and is willing to sit, worth keeping
Nyquist, RFA -- Sign obviously.
Mursak, RFA -- Hard to say, though I'd like to see him have a shot.

Defense
White, UFA -- Tough call. Only right hand shot we have. If we don't make a trade and if he stays in the $3 to $3.5M range, he's probably worth keeping around.
Kindl, RFA -- All depends on whether he gets an opportunity and does anything with it.
Smith, RFA - Sign him, obviously.

Goalie
Howard, UFA -- It might be a good thing the Wings will be down this year. If Howards' numbers dip as a result, it will result in Jimmy H getting a deal near $3 or $4M. But if the Wings do well, the Wings might have to fork out $5M+ to keep him around. I fully expect Holland to resign him in either scenario.

* the long talked about Howard for Miller trade could become a possibility again if the Sabres have to cut payroll.

So here's my 2013-14 roster

Flip Datsyuk Sammy
Franzen Zetterberg Nyquist
Abdelkader Helm Tootoo
Tatar Andersson Mursak
Eaves Emmerton

Kronwall Smith
Kindl Quincey
Ericsson White
Lashoff
* I expect some kind of veteran signing/trade to change the look of the D, though.
Howard/Gustavsson

I'm not even going to bother with next season's potential UFAs from other teams
Pretty close to what I had in mind...the one thing that concerns me is Howard...he is going to want more than 5 million a year to start...will Holland pay him and can we afford to pay him knowing we have a lot of needs. If not Howard who else is available...still trying to figure out Gustavsson's worth.

lkleung007 is offline   Reply With Quote